PDA

View Full Version : What is Farmio's Problem?

OG4LIFE
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Farmio seems to belittle anything Chris Singleton says? Whenever Chris tries to make a point or an observation, Farmio responds with some half sarcastic, snide, and not funny type of remark. He's really starting to look like an assclown. Anyone else notice this? What's his problem?

Unregistered
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Farmio seems to belittle anything Chris Singleton says? Whenever Chris tries to make a point or an observation, Farmio responds with some half sarcastic, snide, and not funny type of remark. He's really starting to look like an assclown. Anyone else notice this? What's his problem?He must hate Chris Singleton for sucking so badly. :dunno:

Daver
03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
There isn't enough broadcast talent in the Sox radio booth to fill a thimble.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Daver:

I agree to the extent that Farmer certainly is NOT a play by play man. I thought he did alright in the analyst role though.

Farmer and Singleton together though is a disaster. For the life of me, I can't understand what the Sox saw in these two together as a team.

Lip

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I never liked Farmio. Never will. He comes off as a "im tough, don't mess with me, here's what i did in the past to prove that im a tough SOB" type. i dont like him. which is bad and will not attract an outside fan. he does a very bad job selling the white sox as well. singleton is ok, but he wont get far with farmer leading the way. i know they cant bring rooney back, but they can/should look for outside help to bring in and replace farmer maybe even singleton. here's an idea... bring dave wills (sp?) back and have him do PBP for the team he "truly loves".

DumpJerry
03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Farmer and Singleton together though is a disaster. For the life of me, I can't understand what the Sox saw in these two together as a team.
Lip
It is my understanding that it was not the Sox' call, but The Score's call on whom to hire. I also understand that the hiring process at The Score's parent company is more complicated than a Dilbert cartoon-many layers of Vice Presidents in Chicago and New York must all sign off on a hire before it is made. One VP can kill the deal. As a result, you get vanilla. Tommy John did not want to go through the circus, that is why he said no to trying for the position. This is also why Rooney was not able to get the contract he wanted and why it took so long to name a replacement.

Sigh.

At least Ozzie gets to make all his own decisions!:smile:

Lip Man 1
03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Jerry:

I recall reading a direct quote from Brooks Boyar where he said as soon as he heard Singleton he said, 'this is it, he's the guy...'

:?:

So I don't know what's going on anymore..

Lip

JohnBasedowYoda
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Jerry:

I recall reading a direct quote from Brooks Boyar where he said as soon as he heard Singleton he said, 'this is it, he's the guy...'

Lip

Well Brooks can't just go, "This really isn't the 1st guy we had in mind...but because of corporate red tape he got it."

I hear OG4LIFE though, Farmer is trying to be funny but is coming off rude. I don't see this getting better.

In fact when the White Sox and Cubs meet I might even turn on the Cub broadcast. Pat's not that bad and I love laughing at Santo.

and don't call the teal police. I AM SERIOUS :cool:

NoNeckEra
03-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Jerry:

Lip
Yes, I heard Brooks said that too. I just can't listen to these guys during ST games. Maybe by opening day they'll magically transform into a professional tandem. I doubt it.

goon
03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
santo drives me nuts.

The Critic
03-20-2006, 06:35 PM
After a few helpings of the Farmer/Singleton Experience, I would actually welcome Dave Wills' return.
And I am NO fan of Dave Wills.
Farmer and Singleton are unbearable at this point. I REALLY hope they improve, but I'm not optimistic.

Dick Allen
03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Whatever the case, leave it to the Score to screw things up. What do you want from a station that carries the Blackhawks and NIU basketball?

SweetnesSox
03-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Whatever the case, leave it to the Score to screw things up. What do you want from a station that carries the Blackhawks and NIU basketball?

woah woah woah woah woah NIU is my dad's alma mater... lots of love there! and they're a football school, okay? :D:

BainesHOF
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes, Farmer's personality on the air has been ugly this spring. He's been throwing around his weight in the booth, trying to show Singleton who's boss right from the start.

Singleton's not that bad for someone just starting in broadcasting. Farmer's the problem, and it's quickly becoming a bigger problem than I would have guessed. I knew Farmer wouldn't be a good play-by-play guy, but there's no excuse for his big-guy act with Singleton. Farmer should be doing everything he can to smoothly break in Singleton. Instead, Farmer is playing mind games with him.

Unregistered
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
:farmer
"This is Ed's time to shine, mother****ers!"

soxfanreggie
03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
You know how Kramer gets seizures when hearing Mary Hart's voice...well I get headaches from Farmer's voice. I don't know what it is...I was fine with Rooney, but for some reason, I got headaches when Farmer would talk... :rooney

Say yes to Rooney...

TomBradley72
03-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Could have been worse...could have been:

:ass

BanditJimmy
03-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I said it from day one that these two would be horrible for radio.

Has anyone heard Singleton take the wheel and do play by play?

:flameswing

It burns my ears.

Parrothead
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Don't start on NIU....they actually had a decent b-ball season along with football. I might have to give you one of these.....

:nolanventura

No one could be as bad as Singleton except for maybe Skip Carray.

Minnie Me
03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
When I hear these guyz i think of good times. Smart, funny, information and lilting conversation i can listen to them guyz and love it.
Big, big improvement over so called professional voice of rooney. roonies are a dime a dozen, give me the honest gut reality check of fargonz and snigleton any time. its a good clean fun time with them.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
When I hear these guyz i think of good times. Smart, funny, information and lilting conversation i can listen to them guyz and love it.
Big, big improvement over so called professional voice of rooney. roonies are a dime a dozen, give me the honest gut reality check of fargonz and snigleton any time. its a good clean fun time with them.

http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu/info_resources/subjects/literature/images/voltaire.jpg
I may not agree with what you say. But I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Banix12
03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
It is my understanding that it was not the Sox' call, but The Score's call on whom to hire. I also understand that the hiring process at The Score's parent company is more complicated than a Dilbert cartoon-many layers of Vice Presidents in Chicago and New York must all sign off on a hire before it is made. One VP can kill the deal. As a result, you get vanilla. Tommy John did not want to go through the circus, that is why he said no to trying for the position. This is also why Rooney was not able to get the contract he wanted and why it took so long to name a replacement.

Sigh.

At least Ozzie gets to make all his own decisions!:smile:

I don't know if that's true but if it is it would have to be because he must have been the cheapest replacement.

I have a hard time believing any radio professional would select Chris Singleton. The producers and engineers have to be pulling their hair out over the way he sounds. And I'm sure even the corporate suits would have preferred a bigger name.

I'm sure it's mostly because he is new but he's got this nervous tendency of rambling. In an interview on one of weekend shows they had him as a guest and it took him nearly 3 minutes to answer a question (and the host was too polite to tell him but he had misheard the question and was answering something else entirely).

I knew Farmer would be tough to listen to as a play by play man and i'm not shocked by the way he is acting.

chaerulez
03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Well Brooks can't just go, "This really isn't the 1st guy we had in mind...but because of corporate red tape he got it."

I hear OG4LIFE though, Farmer is trying to be funny but is coming off rude. I don't see this getting better.

In fact when the White Sox and Cubs meet I might even turn on the Cub broadcast. Pat's not that bad and I love laughing at Santo.

and don't call the teal police. I AM SERIOUS :cool:

While Santo is a joke, Pat Hughes is a legit PBP broadcaster.

I'm pretty sure Singleton was hired because he was cheap. I think I read in the Trib that his salary is around $300,000. They probably would've had to pay Rooney around 4 times as much (actually didn't he get around 2 million a year from the Cards?). Whatever the case, they sure dropped the ball on this.

awesomefan
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Would someone please give an example of how Farmer is treating Singleton so badly?

I drive on my job & have listened to alot of the White Sox Spring Training radio broadcasts & don't remember Ed Farmer acting this bad.

kittle42
03-20-2006, 08:57 PM

fargonz and snigelton are my favorite broadcasters. :cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
:dumbpeople:
Seriously, Minnie Me, are you for real? Some of your posts leave me :rolling:, but mostly I'm :?:. I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't one of those "Devil's Advocate" posters, writing crazy stuff just to see the response.

Farmer and Singleton have been terrible all spring, but today was the first time I heard Ed being a dick to Chris. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice it. Perhaps he's still pissed about Rooney's unceremonious departure, but he's taking it out on the wrong guy (and the fans).

For how long is Farmio signed? Isn't Dave Wills's contract with Tampa finished after this season? I'd love for the Sox to dump the Rambling One and bring in a real PBP guy like Willsy. Maybe Dave can still salvage Singleton even after a year of condescension from Farmer.

Either way, NO PBP from Chris until he's a little more seasoned in the booth. Right now he's a step away from "Boom goes the dynamite."

oeo
03-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Jerry:

Lip

How can Boyer say anything different? He's working for this organization, he can't just say whatever the hell he wants to. That's exactly what he should have said...whether he meant it or not, no one will ever know. That comment means absolutely nothing.

monkeypants
03-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Does anybody know the length of Singleton's contract?
The reply of "too long" while correct, still doesn't answer the question.

Norberto7
03-20-2006, 09:26 PM
:farmer
"This is Ed's time to shine, mother****ers!"

^This makes me laugh.^

As long as Farmer gets down Rooney's suspenseful habit of pumping as much drama into a foul ball down the line that he can, we'll all be fine.

Johnny74
03-20-2006, 09:31 PM
:worship:Rooney was the best which made Farmer tolerable. I actually loved the two of them together. It was a good balance. Singleton is the worst. And without Rooney, Farmer is tough to take at times.

I still refuse to listen to those dolts on the television though. Everytime I see a "He gone" shirt it makes me ashamed to be a Sox fan. That phrase is as bad as "Git R Done". Why do so many people celebrate stupidity like it's cool? :mad:

UGH, oh well. :dunno:

Whomever will be spewing into the microphones on the radio and the tv doesn't really matter. It's the game that counts, but Rooney made it so much better.

JB98
03-20-2006, 09:52 PM
I said it from day one that these two would be horrible for radio.

Has anyone heard Singleton take the wheel and do play by play?

:flameswing

It burns my ears.

It's terrible. I was listening to the game on the way to work this afternoon, and Singleton mentioned that the score was 5-5 in the sixth inning about 20 times in a three-minute span. OK, Chris, I get the picture. Say something else. I'm sure Singleton is a great guy and all, but they should have hired an experienced broadcaster.

Unregistered
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Does anybody know the length of Singleton's contract?
The reply of "too long" while correct, still doesn't answer the question.
*sigh* 3 years...

jamokes
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Did someone say NIU is a football school?:o:

havelj
03-20-2006, 10:06 PM
woah woah woah woah woah NIU is my dad's alma mater... lots of love there! and they're a football school, okay? :D:

There is no reason that the Score should have NIU sports on. Besides, most of the time it's on tape delay - who is gonna listen to that. It's kinda like the Men's Olympic game on radio tape delay. Stupid.

mike squires
03-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I"ve caught a few innings this year and I pretty much share the same sentiments. Today I heard Ed ask a question and when Chris tried to explain, Ed would say, OK, OK but it sounded like it was being degrading. It was hard to tell if Farmer was trying to help Chris along or if he was being a jerko. I hope Chris is keeping the seat warm for Wills next year.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope Chris is keeping the seat warm for Wills next year.
Would you have Willsy doing color commentary with Farmer remaining at PBP? Don't think for a moment that Ed would accept a "demotion" back to the analyst's chair, allowing Dave to call balls & strikes, especially the way he already seems to be throwing around his newfound status.

Timmy D's
03-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Well since Farmer invented the game of baseball, perhaps we should cut him some slack.:rolleyes:

Hey does anyone have the channel guide for XM of the opponents broadcst??

I agree w/ all, this tandem of Singleton and Farmio is like listening to nails on a chalkboard. Man O man I miss Rooney!!!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
03-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Big, big improvement over so called professional voice of rooney. roonies are a dime a dozen, give me the honest gut reality check of fargonz and snigleton any time. its a good clean fun time with them.You've got to be crapping me. You're damn near my age, and you're ending words with a hip-hop "z" instead of an "s" and can't captitalize? My ignore list just gained a new member.

Nellie_Fox
03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey does anyone have the channel guide for XM of the opponents broadcast?? You get the broadcasters of whichever team is the home team. That's it. You don't get a choice.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-21-2006, 12:06 AM

Temporary lay offs, Good Times

Ain't we lucky we got'em Good Times!

My personal view is I liked the pair of Rooney and Farmer, I don't dislike Farmer like many posters here but I think he is better suited to provide color (based on his color vs. play by play skills).

The Score was cheap and stupid and Ed wanted a promotion. I don't know if this can be magically fixed next season with Wills returning to do play by play and Farmer returning to color (though I hope that would be the case as I really like Wills). Maybe they stink up the joint and both are replaced in 2007.

I may actually put on the TV crew on (usually mute them and have the radio on) and for non TV games (no cable) I'll listen to the opposition's announcer online via MLB.com radio.

Cue Cannonball Adderley

Chisox003
03-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Would you have Willsy doing color commentary with Farmer remaining at PBP? Don't think for a moment that Ed would accept a "demotion" back to the analyst's chair, allowing Dave to call balls & strikes, especially the way he already seems to be throwing around his newfound status.
Well then boot Farmer and keep Singleton in the same role he's in now

Willsy gots to come back :gulp:

Banix12
03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Temporary lay offs, Good Times

Ain't we lucky we got'em Good Times!

My personal view is I liked the pair of Rooney and Farmer, I don't dislike Farmer like many posters here but I think he is better suited to provide color (based on his color vs. play by play skills).

The Score was cheap and stupid and Ed wanted a promotion. I don't know if this can be magically fixed next season with Wills returning to do play by play and Farmer returning to color (though I hope that would be the case as I really like Wills). Maybe they stink up the joint and both are replaced in 2007.

I may actually put on the TV crew on (usually mute them and have the radio on) and for non TV games (no cable) I'll listen to the opposition's announcer online via MLB.com radio.

Cue Cannonball Adderley

If everybody is right and that Singleton got the job because he was the cheapest option. I wonder if they would be willing to buy out the rest of his contract in order to bring in another guy like Wills. If this really is a money situation I think we are stuck with Singleton.

I_Liked_Manuel
03-21-2006, 12:33 AM

i wasn't a big fan of rooney either, but i'm not sold on this pairing yet. from what i've heard, farmer was mutch better at a color guy.

kittle42
03-21-2006, 02:05 AM
i wasn't a big fan of rooney either, but i'm not sold on this pairing yet. from what i've heard, farmer was mutch better at a color guy.

:(:

TDog
03-21-2006, 03:59 AM
If Farmer is treating Singleton like crap, he could be taking a page from the book of Harry Caray who dealt with partners he didn't like by effectively ruining their Chicago broadcasting careers. Does anyone remember that great TV pairing of Harry Caray and J.C. Martin?

Chez
03-21-2006, 07:14 AM
If Farmer is treating Singleton like crap, he could be taking a page from the book of Harry Caray who dealt with partners he didn't like by effectively ruining their Chicago broadcasting careers. Does anyone remember that great TV pairing of Harry Caray and J.C. Martin?

J.C. Martin was brutal. He sounded like Gomer Pyle. I remember his post-game interview with Red Sox reliever Dick Pole (great name):

Martin: "We're here with Red Sox reliever Dick Pole. Dick, it says in the media guide that you're from Mexico, Maine. Where is Mexico, Maine?

Pole: "It's in Maine."

Martin: "Maine. Interesting."

Lou Brock wasn't much better.

Minnie Me
03-21-2006, 07:30 AM
All I am saying is give a listening to the TV broadcast yesterday I was struck by how much DeeJay has improved this year. His voice delivery, speech patterns and tone much improved over previous years. He is now FIRST RATE, top of the line color analylist. I look forwad to the Hawk and DeeJay broadcast, they are a absolute joy, joy. Hawk is a true original and breaks the mold every chance he gets, eats it and throws it back in twisting ways to illuminate, edjucate and bake a cake.

Snigleton has beau coup potential same as DeeJay did. The Sox lead the majors in giving the untested and unwashed a chance both in the booth and on the field. We should be proud as Sox Fangs to have the DeeJays, Snigletons, Jenks, and Ozzies of the world. This starts at the top with best owner the City of Chicagoh has ever had, the fantastic brain of brains, Mr. Rhinesdork. What times we live in.

soxinem1
03-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Snigleton has beau coup potential same as DeeJay did. The Sox lead the majors in giving the untested and unwashed a chance both in the booth and on the field. We should be proud as Sox Fangs to have the DeeJays, Snigletons, Jenks, and Ozzies of the world. This starts at the top with best owner the City of Chicagoh has ever had, the fantastic brain of brains, Mr. Rhinesdork. What times we live in.

Is this a tribute or putdown of JR? I sure hope he's not reading this....

Jjav829
03-21-2006, 07:53 AM
All I am saying is give a listening to the TV broadcast yesterday I was struck by how much DeeJay has improved this year. His voice delivery, speech patterns and tone much improved over previous years. He is now FIRST RATE, top of the line color analylist. I look forwad to the Hawk and DeeJay broadcast, they are a absolute joy, joy. Hawk is a true original and breaks the mold every chance he gets, eats it and throws it back in twisting ways to illuminate, edjucate and bake a cake.

Is that a personal spear thrown in Reinsdorf's direction?

Those whom dare to challenge Snigleton and Fargonz should be horsewhipped in the opinion of this humble horsemaster. An affront to national dignity should be served in kind with a physical retaliation of the ultimate caliber. Could it be, though action is appealing to rather than none, complete factoids should be believed to write the book of love with intents nevermore malicious and delicious. And blessed be the children, who dream of love and whispers that sail upon the wind with every mention of Fargonz and Snigleton, until life do us bring together in the realm of phantasy. Creation is for the young and experienced, however, beggars be we all, and until that is grasped by any living human, peace shall remain elusive. in short GO Fargonz and Snigleton!!

http://www.sleevestar.com/awesome/Horsemaster.jpg

soxtalker
03-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm curious as to how much difference a bad announcing team makes in the number of fans who will listen to the broadcast. I would think that the play of the team makes far more difference.

alohafri
03-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Jerry:

Lip

You missed the part where Brooks said, "He'll work for 45 grand."

Minnie Me
03-21-2006, 08:48 AM
This is important and fastenating question, which needs itsown tread. I,m sure someone hear can figure out. Wins by announcing crew. Hauwk and Deejay probably wins, but Hauwk and Drieddale pretty good too.

D. TODD
03-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Singleton is a rookie I'll give him a chance to develop. Farmer is a vet at this point. I know what he brings to the booth, and I don't like it at all. As a play by play guy it is even worse. They can't dump Farmio soon enough for my liking.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Seriously, Minnie Me, are you for real? Some of your posts leave me :rolling:, but mostly I'm :?:. I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't one of those "Devil's Advocate" posters, writing crazy stuff just to see the response.

Minnie Me is like a monkey hurling its own feces around for enjoyment.

Minnie Me
03-21-2006, 09:13 AM
I enjoy the radio broadcasts of the WhiteSox games very much. Every inning they tell me the score and who is pitching and hitting the ball. Often they tell interesting stories about the past when they used to play the game.
Whenever I get the chance I listen to the radio to hear the White Sox game.
I like listening to the White Sox game on the radio.

Iwritecode
03-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I enjoy the radio broadcasts of the WhiteSox games very much. Every inning they tell me the score and who is pitching and hitting the ball. Often they tell interesting stories about the past when they used to play the game.

It's like I'm watching Rainman...

Procol Harum
03-21-2006, 09:36 AM

Alrighty, Minnie--you get a B+ for your theme this week. Next week we'll be writing about "Why I Want a Pony."

Methinks MM is toying with us all...

Sad
03-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Alrighty, Minnie--you get a B+ for your theme this week. Next week we'll be writing about "Why I Want a Pony."

Methinks MM is toying with us all...

:kneeslap:

and Farmio's problem?
wearing your sunglasses on your cap!

soxfanatlanta
03-21-2006, 09:52 AM

Good one, but you forgot to put this in the post...
http://www.tvparty.com/banners/claster2.gif I see Mini Mee, iwritecode...

EastCoastSoxFan
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Singleton is a rookie I'll give him a chance to develop. Farmer is a vet at this point. I know what he brings to the booth, and I don't like it at all. As a play by play guy it is even worse. They can't dump Farmio soon enough for my liking.
The first couple of radio broadcasts it sounded like Farmer was trying to ask Singleton leading questions, as play-by-play announcers are presumably supposed to, but you always got the impression that Farmer was asking questions he already thought he had the answers to, like a lawyer on cross-examination.
And I think he is probably rapidly growing weary of Singleton starting off every answer with "It depends on << fill in the blank >>". It makes Singleton sound like either a) he doesn't have any opinions of his own, or b) he's afraid of offending someone.
Maybe the Sox brass is hoping it will turn into some kind of Howard Cosell / Don Meredith shtick. Who the hell knows...

Hangar18
03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Daver:

I agree to the extent that Farmer certainly is NOT a play by play man. I thought he did alright in the analyst role though.

Lip

I havnt listened enough to the two of them to gauge an opinion at this time, but WHOLEHEARTEDLY YES, Farmer IS NOT a play-by-play guy, hes not a guy who will define a single important moment with his voice. Thats is just something Hall Of Fame caliber announcers are able to do ........... and are few and far between. Watching the WS dvd the other day, I noted just how great a job John Rooney did, and how his calling of many of the plays were so Well Done, they had to use the call in the video. How many did you hear of that 1st Class Moron and Dirtbag Chris Berman? They had to edit that assclown he was so bad. Watching that DVD, I thought how would Farmer have called it? Would it have been a Hall-Of-Fame-esque, will-stand-the-test-of-time-lets-record-the-moment type of call? NO.
Theres no way Farmer can compare to Rooney. How they could have put him in the lead role is still beyond me. Heck, how they just let Rooney walk away is beyond me, another 1st Class PR Gaffe. WHen John Rooney goes into the HOF as a broadcaster, it will mark the 2nd broadcaster in a row we let walk over nonsensical reasons. He will go in as a Cardinal Announcer. The Cardinals are still pinching themselves over their "luck", finding an unattended bag of money that is John Rooney.

The Cardinals right now are falling down running trying to immerse John Rooney into as much Cardinal lore and history as they can, theyre behaving very cub-like (anyone call the Cardinals ticket lines? theyre using Rooney there too!) and it makes me angry now that I think about it ..............What are the chances another HOF type announcer will be Let Go by their team, ready for the SOX to pounce on? ZERO.

Minnie Me
03-21-2006, 10:48 AM
John Roomey is gawn.
I once had a shaggy dog.
Shaggy dog is gawn.

0o0o0
03-21-2006, 10:58 AM

what happened here? everything spelled correctly? whoops :redface:

Rooney4Prez56
03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm curious as to how much difference a bad announcing team makes in the number of fans who will listen to the broadcast. I would think that the play of the team makes far more difference.

It shouldn't, but it does.

Listening to Rooney commentate was music to my ears, where Farmer and Singelton want me to tear my ears off. I'll listen because I have no choice.
I could flip on the tube, but I still cannot stand DJ.

Watching the game is only half the experience. It's like watching a movie with no sound. The movie may be incredible, but without a solid sound supporting it, its average. I'll watch the Sox, but with pillows in my ears this season.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
You missed the part where Brooks said, "He'll work for 45 grand."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/assetpool/images/06224144141_howie_mandel.jpg

"Chris Singleton $35,000. Deal or no deal?"

Dick Allen
03-21-2006, 11:26 AM
woah woah woah woah woah NIU is my dad's alma mater... lots of love there! and they're a football school, okay? :D:Yeah, well how many people do you think were actually listening to the broadcasts of the b-ball games? Doesn't seem like a ratings bonanza to me.

Dick Allen
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Does anyone remember the absolute worst, when Early Wynn was doing color commentary? I remember when they actually had him do play-by-play once in a while.:puking: He made JC Martin sound like Rooney.

retro1983hat
03-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I have listened to about half the ST games and yes, it does sound like Farmio is talking down to Singleton. I think Singleton has done OK in the role, but Farmer is unbearable. He sounds like an ass.

kittle42
03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
John Roomey is gawn.
I once had a shaggy dog.
Shaggy dog is gawn.

This is getting old.

Hangar18
03-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I also hope Rooney & Singleton doesnt turn into an on-air fight every game.
Thats just not good radio

Lip Man 1
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
T-Dog:

Well J.C. Martin sure remembers his treatment by Caray. Re-read his WSI Interview....and speaking of Harry Caray (hint, hint...) the next WSI interview is with someone who worked with him. I set this up in January and spoke with the individual on February 4th.

Lip

BanditJimmy
03-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Singleton just got done calling The "Sod Father" Roger Bossard as "Roger Bascard"

I hope that was a joke.

This guy is awful.

AZChiSoxFan
03-21-2006, 05:10 PM

In the case of Singleton, is it possible to ruin a broadcasting career that should never have even started in the first place???

AZChiSoxFan
03-21-2006, 05:12 PM
J.C. Martin was brutal. He sounded like Gomer Pyle. I remember his post-game interview with Red Sox reliever Dick Pole (great name):

Martin: "We're here with Red Sox reliever Dick Pole. Dick, it says in the media guide that you're from Mexico, Maine. Where is Mexico, Maine?

Pole: "It's in Maine."

Martin: "Maine. Interesting."

Lou Brock wasn't much better.

:rolling:

AZChiSoxFan
03-21-2006, 05:15 PM

:tealpolice:

TornLabrum
03-21-2006, 07:35 PM
T-Dog:

Well J.C. Martin sure remembers his treatment by Caray. Re-read his WSI Interview....and speaking of Harry Caray (hint, hint...) the next WSI interview is with someone who worked with him. I set this up in January and spoke with the individual on February 4th.

Lip

Is Bob Waller still alive?????

Bobbo35
03-21-2006, 08:11 PM

That is true. I cannot stand listening to the score. The score to me is a last resort.

Brian26
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM

A good announcing team on the radio will make a bad team palatable to listen to.

A bad radio team won't make me stop listening to a good Sox team.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Hal:

As a matter of fact he is (remember when he drifted off on the SportsCenter set and his partner had to nudge him awake on camera!)

But he's not the guy.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
03-21-2006, 09:28 PM

I know a Bob Waller; but, he's probably not who you're asking for.

StillMissOzzie
03-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I tried listening to a ST game in my car last weekend, but the Score came in very poorly, and I don't live all that far away, either. I've never been a big Farmer fan, even as a color man.

All this talk of Farmer talking down to and generally disrespecting Singleton's input makes me think I'm not gonna be missing a thing.

SMO
:(:

King Xerxes, where are you?

IowaSox1971
03-22-2006, 02:15 AM
I've only listened to a few innings here and there on the Score this spring, but from what I've heard, Singleton and Farmer are OK. Singleton made a few interesting points and Farmer was not condescending at all. Give these guys some time to work together. Exhibition games aren't easy to announce -- even experienced announcing crews have difficulty doing them. There are a lot of minor leaguers playing in these games and it's tough to make the action sound interesting when the results don't count. (Keep in mind how awful the Bears' announcing crews sound during exhibition games.)

I'm still trying to figure out everyone's infatuation with John Rooney. He had to be the worst among "professional" announcers at being able to judge how deep fly balls were hit. Time after time, he would get overly excited about a White Sox player hitting a fly ball that ended up not even reaching the warning track. Or, he would get caught off guard by a fly ball that ended up being a homer, a notable example being Podsednik's walkoff blast in Game 2 of the World Series. Not until the ball was in the seats did Rooney give any indication it could be or would be a home run. As a listener, I was misled by Rooney's descriptions far too often, so I don't miss him at all.

TDog
03-22-2006, 06:13 AM

I think Bob Waller was one of the best announcers to do baseball television in Chicago in my lifetime, certainly as the second man in the booth. In those days, Harry Caray still did radio, so his partners had to do play-by-play, not just make remarks. Bob Waller was young and smart and hip. He had a good voice. He had an edge, but he wasn't abrasive. He was an experienced baseball announcer, not a former player who had a microphone stuck in front of him.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2006, 12:28 PM
TDog:

I thought Bob did a great job as well, but apparently the Sox didn't, especially after his end of the season interview with Chuck Tanner! (laugh, laugh)

Lip

sox84
03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
I've only listened to a few innings here and there on the Score this spring, but from what I've heard, Singleton and Farmer are OK. Singleton made a few interesting points and Farmer was not condescending at all. Give these guys some time to work together. Exhibition games aren't easy to announce -- even experienced announcing crews have difficulty doing them. There are a lot of minor leaguers playing in these games and it's tough to make the action sound interesting when the results don't count. (Keep in mind how awful the Bears' announcing crews sound during exhibition games.)

I'm still trying to figure out everyone's infatuation with John Rooney. He had to be the worst among "professional" announcers at being able to judge how deep fly balls were hit. Time after time, he would get overly excited about a White Sox player hitting a fly ball that ended up not even reaching the warning track. Or, he would get caught off guard by a fly ball that ended up being a homer, a notable example being Podsednik's walkoff blast in Game 2 of the World Series. Not until the ball was in the seats did Rooney give any indication it could be or would be a home run. As a listener, I was misled by Rooney's descriptions far too often, so I don't miss him at all.

I'm with you on your opinion of Rooney, Iowa Sox. his false alarms on deep fly balls really bugged me also. I just didnt hear anything that warranted all the raving about him as an announcer.

jdieter
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I wasn't wild about Rooney when he first came on in 89, but I he was easy to listen to, but when Farmer was added for color in 92 it was awful. Farmio's monotone interjections were gruesome. Later in that season somebody must have got to Ed because he gave up some of the deadpan and actually had a little emotion in his voice. So by the end of the 92, for me Rooney & Farmio were becoming enjoyable.

This team reminds me of that one with regard to Singleton's cadence. It drives me nuts, especially his p-b-p. He's fine when conversing normally, but he needs to loose that annoying ascending thing he does with his voice after every play call.

I'll give um the better part of the season before I make a judgment.

bigfoot
03-22-2006, 07:37 PM
On the plus side of all of this controversy, with Farmio busy with the PBP, he will have little time to drone on with his ND Iri$h monologues!!!:rolleyes:

soxinem1
03-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Does anyone remember the absolute worst, when Early Wynn was doing color commentary? I remember when they actually had him do play-by-play once in a while.:puking: He made JC Martin sound like Rooney.

I sure do, but he never really left. His ghost took over Farmer.

But look at it this way. If he sticks to PBP, we won't have to listen to the Notre Dame and St. Rita stories, unless it's 10-0 in the second inning!