PDA

View Full Version : Reds trade Wily Mo Pena

Jerko
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
To Red Sox for Bronson Arroyo, FWIW. Guy waited forever to be a full-timer with the Reds, now he's going to platoon with Nixon.

SOXintheBURGH
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Ugh.. now I get to watch Cornrows play in the NL Comedy Central all season. He should have some epic duels with Kip.

Flight #24
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Not a bad trade either way. Wily Mo can jack 'em, but fields like Manny Ramirez. Gonna be interesting if they put those 2 in the corner OF slots - Coco will be basically covering the whole field.

Arroyo's not great, but is fairly cheap and solid as a #4 with maybe #3 upside. Cinci needed pitching, he's not bad. Plus they now can focus on giving Kearns a fulltime slot and hopefully seeing him get back to his earlier performance.

Scottiehaswheels
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
To Red Sox for Bronson Arroyo, FWIW. Guy waited forever to be a full-timer with the Reds, now he's going to platoon with Nixon.

Didn't the Red Sox sign that guy to a 3-4 year deal earlier this season with the promise of not trading him?

SBSoxFan
03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Why would the Red Sox, of all teams, trade starting pitching?

Baby Fisk
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Why would the Red Sox, of all teams, trade starting pitching?I was wondering the same thing. They seemed to be holding Arroyo back for some reason, letting him rot in the pen instead of having a shot as a starter. If Beckett/Schilling get reinjured, or if Wakefield/Wells finally break down, they might regret letting Arroyo go.

palehozenychicty
03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I like arroyo, but they're in trouble if he's your best starter. At least the new cincy regime has a pulse. O'Brien didn't do a thing when he was the gm.

soxinem1
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Pena should have known his time was up when Timo Perez signed with them! The added luxury of Timo on the roster made Wily Mo expendable.

But seriously, a good move for the Reds, Arroyo is not bad, and may even flourish with the eight-out NL lineups.

Slats
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
That's some big bats in the middle of the lineup

Ortiz
Manny
Pena

That's also 350 strikeouts

SoxSpeed22
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Why would the Red Sox, of all teams, trade starting pitching?Don't forget that they have an excess of starting pitchers. GMAMFB.
This is another power bat, mainly because Nixon can't hit lefties, they both defend equally (good or not, you decide), they should be an interesting team next year.

Fred Manrique
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
When I first heard this trade it gave me a scare with all the pop the BoSox would have. But, after thinking about it throughout the afternoon, there is no way it can help them. It will take a lot of luck in Boston for that rotation to stay healthy, Arroyo was probably one of their surest bets for 30+ starts. Willy Mo will add some pop, but he's no real upgrade on Trot and they can't put all three of those guys in the outfield at the same time (even though for fielding sake I wish they could).

I think the BoSox may have won themselves a few extra regular season games (if all goes well), but cost themselves in the playoffs.

Tragg
03-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I think Boston has a young pitcher they're reall high on who threw relief last year. Maybe he'll start this year.

My only regret is, since I get all the damn cub games, I won't get to see Pena hit against them...he's fun to watch.

With all of the young hitterss they have, I don't know why the Reds haven't been more aggressive in getting pitching help. The REds should be like the Cardinals...great tradition, midwest (sort of), baseball town. The fans will fill the place with a real club.

Banix12
03-20-2006, 11:49 PM
I think Boston has a young pitcher they're reall high on who threw relief last year. Maybe he'll start this year.

My only regret is, since I get all the damn cub games, I won't get to see Pena hit against them...he's fun to watch.

With all of the young hitterss they have, I don't know why the Reds haven't been more aggressive in getting pitching help. The REds should be like the Cardinals...great tradition, midwest (sort of), baseball town. The fans will fill the place with a real club.

No doubt they are going to try to get Papelbon in the rotation as soon as they can but as long as Matt Clement is making starters money he'll probably be starting.

Though they have been rumored to be shopping him around. That may change now that they have traded Arroyo but I wouldn't put it past them to trade him to put the prospect in the rotation.

The Reds should be like the Cards. Hopefully this is a sign that the new regime is going to get serious about fixing up the pitching. Though I think the problem mostly has been with ownership since I remember hearing about them vetoing numerous trades.

StockdaleForVeep
03-21-2006, 12:14 AM
I was wondering the same thing. They seemed to be holding Arroyo back for some reason, letting him rot in the pen instead of having a shot as a starter. If Beckett/Schilling get reinjured, or if Wakefield/Wells finally break down, they might regret letting Arroyo go.

They have papelbon to recover the spot, that is if he's not on the current roster for starting

Flight #24
03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
No doubt they are going to try to get Papelbon in the rotation as soon as they can but as long as Matt Clement is making starters money he'll probably be starting.

Though they have been rumored to be shopping him around. That may change now that they have traded Arroyo but I wouldn't put it past them to trade him to put the prospect in the rotation.

The Reds should be like the Cards. Hopefully this is a sign that the new regime is going to get serious about fixing up the pitching. Though I think the problem mostly has been with ownership since I remember hearing about them vetoing numerous trades.

BoSox fans appear to be thinking Pena's due for a .280/.350/.580 type of season with 30-40HR. Despite his not approaching anything close to the pace needed for those #s ever. He's young still, but at this point, his only real asset is Rob Deer-like power combined with Rob Deer-like whiffs.

Seriously, had Joe Borchard been a Red & Pena a White Sox, you might have seen both of these trades today with the names swapped.

It could be a huge breakthrough and bigtime steal for Boston, but there's a ton of risk there. Personally, I think had they waited for someone to get desperate for a starter (including themselves if/when 1-3 of their current rotation goes out and with Schilling/Wells/Wakefield/Beckett, there's age & DL history aplenty), they could have gotten more value from a young, cheap, solid #4 starter with #3 upside.

munchman33
03-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm still shaking my head at this one....in an up and down motion.

With their current starting pitching staff, I don't see the Red Saux making the playoffs.:bandance:

SOXintheBURGH
03-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm still shaking my head at this one....in an up and down motion.

With their current starting pitching staff, I don't see the Red Saux making the playoffs.:bandance:

How DARE you question Theo!?

wdelaney72
03-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I certainly don't think Arroyo will be winning the Cy Young anytime in his career, but he is a serviceable starter, and had some pretty nice appearances during the championship run. I give the Reds the upper-hand in this one.

Jerko
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I certainly don't think Arroyo will be winning the Cy Young anytime in his career, but he is a serviceable starter, and had some pretty nice appearances during the championship run. I give the Reds the upper-hand in this one.

Looks like Dunn is moving back to left and Hatteberg will play first. They could use Freel at 2nd and they better PRAY Jr. or Kearns don't get hurt. They'll wind up with Freel in OF and Womack at 2nd. Well, they need pitching, this is a step I guess.

PKalltheway
03-21-2006, 11:53 PM
If you mean by how the Reds should run their organization, then yes I perfectly agree with you. The Reds already have a great tradition. Opening Day here is practically a holiday. People here always look back with reverence to the Big Red Machine days. In fact this is the Reds' longest strech of losing seasons in 50 years. Seriously. Don't let the losing seasons and small crowds fool you. Cincinnati is a baseball town. People are just fed up with the inept ownership and mediocre teams. When the Reds start winning again (whenever that will be), people will start going to games again. The baseball tradition here is underrated.

Foulke You
03-24-2006, 10:56 PM
If you mean by how the Reds should run their organization, then yes I perfectly agree with you. The Reds already have a great tradition. Opening Day here is practically a holiday. People here always look back with reverence to the Big Red Machine days. In fact this is the Reds' longest strech of losing seasons in 50 years. Seriously. Don't let the losing seasons and small crowds fool you. Cincinnati is a baseball town. People are just fed up with the inept ownership and mediocre teams. When the Reds start winning again (whenever that will be), people will start going to games again. The baseball tradition here is underrated.
I agree with your assessment of Cincy, however, the same could be said for a lot of cities. Detroit was a big Tigers town back in the day too. Boston couldn't fill Fenway when they started to underperform in the early 90s. Ditto the White Sox when they went through the Bevington era. It's the natural cycle of baseball fandom. People don't want to pay their hard earned money to watch their favorite team get taken behind the woodshed every night.

The only team that gets away with being inept for extended periods of time without concequences is the Cubs for reasons debated here ad nauseum.