PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson contemplating retirement?

Dan Mega
03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
According to a Suntimes article he is: http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox20.html

It doesn't surprise me however, if his back pain is really that bad.

SOecks
03-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Again, I'd like to know what exactly his back problem is. All these articles about his severe pain but they never say exactly what is wrong with him. Herniated disk, bulging disk, etc. why don't they ever say?

downstairs
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Again, I'd like to know what exactly his back problem is. All these articles about his severe pain but they never say exactly what is wrong with him. Herniated disk, bulging disk, etc. why don't they ever say?

It may be that no one knows for absolute sure... the guy is older, and has a history of this sort of thing.

I assume the Sox are resigned to him not playing again, and if he does it's a pure bonus.

kevin57
03-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Hermanson's own words suggest pretty strongly that this is the end of the road for him. The sliver of hope is that he does not feel any pain in warm-ups. Yet, once on the mound his back screams. If Coop can diagnose the problem, then we may be talking.

Luke
03-20-2006, 09:59 AM

The official site said he had surgical options, such as fusing vertebrae together.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060317&content_id=1354162&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I think that is consistent with treatment for herniated/ruptured disks.

SBSoxFan
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
The official site said he had surgical options, such as fusing vertebrae together.
If that's the case, his pitching days would likely be over.

SOecks
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I read that Sox article too and it frustrated me even more. They talk about the solution (fusion) to the problem (unknown or unstated). It's not a huge deal but has been bothering me since last year.

soxfanatlanta
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I have mentioned this before but if Hermanson needs an epidural just to walk on the mound, then he needs to think hard about hanging it up; he has to to think about his family. I hope they can figure something out though, his loss would really hurt the pen.

Dan Mega
03-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Hermanson still has gas left in the tank so this is really sad. I have a feeling that he might get an official tribute thread soon. This guy was huge for us the first half of last season.

Rooney4Prez56
03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
He was an integral part of last season. Without him, we wouldn't have gotten off to such a fast start.

Get well soon.

SOXPHILE
03-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a question, and I could be wrong here, but....couldn't he/shouldn't he have had surgery in the off-season to try and correct this problem ? I thought I remember last year, when he was having back problems, that everyone was saying it's not something rest can cure. He would need extensive surgery and rehab once the season is over to correct it. What happened ? I thought I remember hearing the same thing about Crede too, and he didn't have surgery either. I just hope his back doesn't give him problems this year too.

Luke
03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a question, and I could be wrong here, but....couldn't he/shouldn't he have had surgery in the off-season to try and correct this problem ? I thought I remember last year, when he was having back problems, that everyone was saying it's not something rest can cure. He would need extensive surgery and rehab once the season is over to correct it. What happened ? I thought I remember hearing the same thing about Crede too, and he didn't have surgery either. I just hope his back doesn't give him problems this year too.

If it's a disk problem, surgery is considered radical. Some one correct me if I'm woring, but I think rest and light exercise can indeed cure a slipped/bulging disk.

It might be something else as well, the back is really hard to diagnose and treat. Conservative treatment usually comes first with the back.

SBSoxFan
03-20-2006, 12:22 PM
If it's a disk problem, surgery is considered radical. Some one correct me if I'm woring, but I think rest and light exercise can indeed cure a slipped/bulging disk.
I don't think you can cure a bulging disk, but there is some question about the pain mechanism. Since that would lead to a whole western medicine rant, let's not go there. :D:

Anyway, they used to just clean out the disk which was like decompressing it, not a very good long-term solution. Work has been done on fillers, but I don't know if that's FDA approved or standard procedure yet. It would seem fusion of the vertebrae would limit flexibility somewhat, and make an activity such as pitching for a living pretty tough.

soxinem1
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't think you can cure a bulging disk, but there is some question about the pain mechanism. Since that would lead to a whole western medicine rant, let's not go there. :D:

Anyway, they used to just clean out the disk which was like decompressing it, not a very good long-term solution. Work has been done on fillers, but I don't know if that's FDA approved or standard procedure yet. It would seem fusion of the vertebrae would limit flexibility somewhat, and make an activity such as pitching for a living pretty tough.

Fusion is tough. My dad had three fused about 10 years ago and could not work anymore or lay down flat since.

Backs are a very tough treatment, but they should have had an idea last year what they were up against, because he barely pitched the last month of the regular season last year, and a whole 1/3 inning in the post season. Obviously pushing off the mound hurts him.

Bad thing is, back surgery usually means taking the year off, PLUS there are no guarantees. Bad situation, either way.

Luke
03-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Yeah, cure may not be the right word.

I think it's something that you're kind of saddled with for life once you have it. There's options to control it, and limit the pain..western or otherwise :smile:

alohafri
03-20-2006, 12:55 PM

It might be something else as well, the back is really hard to diagnose and treat. Conservative treatment usually comes first with the back.

I wonder if he has seen a chiropractor. Mine has worked wonders with my back.

Iwritecode
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
From what I've read he has a degenerative vertebrae problem and that surgery could possibly be career-ending.

SOXPHILE
03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the responses to my question, everyone. I agree, back surgery isn't something to be taken lightly, and may sometimes require a year or more of rehab. I had just been wondering, because I do remember them saying that just regular rest and rehab wouldn't cure his back, and then I hear in the offseason, that's just what he did. I was originally thinking 1 of 2 things would happen. He would either just retire, or he would have some kind of surgery, that would require x amount of time to recover from. I was just surprised that he did neither.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Today's Joe Cowley story is actually somewhat old. The Tribune had something along these lines a few days ago and the Saturday afternoon Comcast SportsNite show hosted by Chuck Garfein talked about it.

I was actually surprised there wasn't more discussion about it at WSI at that time.

With a back you just never know. The last few days Hermanson has apparently felt better (his words) and threw 45 pitches off a mound yesterday.

I do agree that this is one of those things that you can't really 'cure.'

It bears watching which I assume Kenny is doing closely.

Lip

ilsox7
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
From what I've read he has a degenerative vertebrae problem and that surgery could possibly be career-ending.
For his sake, I really hope he does not have degenerative disc disease. I have it pretty bad and it's not too much fun at all. Just an example, but I was walking to my kitchen last night and almost collapsed b/c my back "went out." I've pretty much been in bed since, hoping that when I "have" to get up and moving here in a couple of hours that my back will hold out.

Pete Ward
03-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Ive had 2 surgeries on my back ... very painfull stuff. I Feel for Dustin.

I held off my 1st surgery by having cortisone shots and PT. Lasted a year then trouble again. Doc said it was my choice, conservative - cortisone or surgery. Cortisone and PT are not a fix.

:whiner: Hurts like a son of a gun ... couldnt bend over to put my socks on.

thomas35forever
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
It's true that having a bad back is no walk in the park, but if it's really causing him this much pain, then he should probably seriously consider stepping down from the game.

Ol' No. 2
03-20-2006, 08:40 PM
It's a matter of degree. Joe Crede has a disk problem, too, but it's apparently not something he can't manage. I recall Hermanson saying last year the surgery would almost certainly mean the end of his career. It doesn't sound like pitching is making it worse, so it's not a risk of further damage. It's just a question of if he can manage the pain. Doesn't sound good.

cheeses_h_rice
03-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Just awful, awful news. I didn't realize his back was so bad he would actually consider retiring.

I have a really bad feeling about Bobby Jenks this year, so in my mind this paints the worst possible picture about our closing situation that we could have. And I remember all too well the problems this team has without a reliable closer (*cough*Koch*cough).

I'm not hitting the panic button, but the one soft spot the 2006 White Sox had, IMO, was the bullpen, and this spring training has been a trainwreck.

:(: