PDA

View Full Version : Sox CSN HDTV broadcasts only for Comcast subscribers?

A.T. Money
03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
I have DirecTV. And I'm watching the Sox game, and thinking...BRUTAL! The analog feed on a HDTV is awful, and Comcast Sports Net has a schedule for select home games in HD. But their web site only mentions it being available through Comcast Digital Cable channel 200. Obviously they won't advertise a service other than Comcast, but am I going to be stuck watching every Sox game on CSN via an analog feed? Or will DTV have a special CSN channel for HDTV?

Anyone know?

HotelWhiteSox
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
This is the reason I switched to Comcast. For the last couple of years others and I at a TV forum had been mass emailing both CSN and DirecTV to make it available on satellite, after DirecTV does other team's games like all the Yankees games. Comcast told me it was available for satellite whenever they wanted it, DirecTV gave me some bogus response to keep waiting, so I gave up and switched to Comcast.

Comcast is more expensive, but with the 1 year deal I got it's about the same price as my DirecTV was and I get much more (HD, DVR, HBO). Also, cable's HD is much better than DirecTV, who I guess doesn't have enough bandwith or uses it for other reasons and what they pass off is far from HD.

Beer Can Chicken
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I have DirecTV. And I'm watching the Sox game, and thinking...BRUTAL! The analog feed on a HDTV is awful, and Comcast Sports Net has a schedule for select home games in HD. But their web site only mentions it being available through Comcast Digital Cable channel 200. Obviously they won't advertise a service other than Comcast, but am I going to be stuck watching every Sox game on CSN via an analog feed? Or will DTV have a special CSN channel for HDTV?

Anyone know?

I'm confused. Do you subscribe to DirectTV HD service? If so, there should be a separate channel broadcast in HD.

Every Spring Training I've watched on CSN on Comcast this year has been in HD.

davenicholson
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm confused. Do you subscribe to DirectTV HD service? If so, there should be a separate channel broadcast in HD.

Every Spring Training I've watched on CSN on Comcast this year has been in HD.
Sox games on CSN are not in HD for Wideopen West subscribers. :(:

lloyder
03-19-2006, 10:17 PM

Erroneous. DirecTv does not offer Comcast SportNet in HD, regardless of whether you subscribe ot their HD service or not. Nor will they in the foreseeable future, which probably means, um, never.

Beer Can Chicken
03-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Erroneous. DirecTv does not offer Comcast SportNet in HD, regardless of whether you subscribe ot their HD service or not. Nor will they in the foreseeable future, which probably means, um, never.

Well, I guess that answers that, um, question.

Scotty_T
03-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Anyone know?

Comcast Sports Net Chicago is only available in HD on Comcast Cable. No dice on DirecTV and Dish Network.

That's why I switched to Comcast in time for the season. The HD feed is excellent.

BeeBeeRichard
03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Too bad it works the other way for opening night.

No ESPN2 HD on Comcast, while it is available on DirecTV.

I was figuring the game might be simulcast on WLS, perhaps with the HD feed on Ch. 187, but the TVGOS says it's regular prime-time programming that night for WLS.

BanditJimmy
03-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Anyone have ESPN2 HD on a any cable system?

I know comcast still does not carry it. They should replace those stupid nature channels on HD with something the common man prefers which is sports.

NSSoxFan
03-20-2006, 01:03 AM
CSN HD is available for RCN on channel 540.

lloyder
03-20-2006, 02:07 AM

ESPN2 HD is available on DirecTv. The lack of available HD production trucks is really hurting ESPN at this point. Very little of their schedule is actually available in HD. If I remember correctly they only have two HD trucks, which means that they're somewhat limited in how many games they can actually cover in HD regardless of how many networks they have which claim to be HD.

Edward
03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, i HATE the fact that Comcast doesn't carry ESPN2HD yet, But IMO Comcast has the best HD selection of all the Chicagoland cable companys, and isn't there a law in place which requires all stations to broadcast in 16:9 by like 2009 or something???

lloyder
03-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Yeah, i HATE the fact that Comcast doesn't carry ESPN2HD yet, But IMO Comcast has the best HD selection of all the Chicagoland cable companys, and isn't there a law in place which requires all stations to broadcast in 16:9 by like 2009 or something???
It is federally mandated that all broadcasters begin transmitting everything digitally by February of 2009, but that doesn't mean that everything will be in HD or 16:9. Most stuff, however, will be both, especially network tv, sporting events, and most cable programming as well.

And not only does Comcast have a really good selection of HD channels, the nice thing about their service is that it's true HD. DirecTv (not sure about Dish Network) compresses their HD signal by dropping the resolution and slowing the transfer from around 25-36 megs per second to under 20 megs per second in most cases. The result is an HD picture that looks great, but doesn't necessarily have that "3d" feel that HD programming should have.

Realist
03-20-2006, 06:11 AM

I know comcast still does not carry it. They should replace those stupid nature channels on HD with something the common man prefers which is sports.

No no no. Keep the nature channels. In fact, they should add the National Geographic Channel AND ESPN2 now that they're available. This common man loves baseball and the science channels.

BanditJimmy
03-20-2006, 09:55 AM

This means the spanish stations will also be gong HD, correct?

Can you imagine Caliente on HD?

or the Spanish Soaps?

:bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
03-20-2006, 01:53 PM
No no no. Keep the nature channels. In fact, they should add the National Geographic Channel AND ESPN2 now that they're available. This common man loves baseball and the science channels.

I gotta say, I was never one for nature programming. But now, when you watch a waterfall in a rainforest on a 62" HD screen.......AWESOME!!!!! You can't turn it off it's so visually dramatic. If friends invite me to their house for a game and they don't have HD, I don't go. It's 2006 people, that's like inviting friends over to watch the Super Bowl on a black&white set.

Scotty_T
03-20-2006, 02:42 PM
If friends invite me to their house for a game and they don't have HD, I don't go.

Amen! Maybe this is why I have so few friends!

spongyfungy
03-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Dish and Directv may carry the CSNHD channels when they switch to MPEG4 and launch more satellites in space but what is more likely is that they will focus on the national channels rollouts first, (ie. FSNHD, UniversalHD) or whatever kooky channels they have. They are slowly rolling out the mpeg4 stuff.

WCIU should go HD soon and the home games were promised to be in HD. Right now it is still in standardDef. WGNHD will look fantastic.

If you want your White Sox in HD for the other home games, you'd better get Comcast.

A.T. Money
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Bummer.

Oh well, at least I can get ESPN2 HD and WGN home games in HD.

All 99 CSN games are on crappy analog.

I just signed up for DirecTV last month and I think it's a two year commitment.