PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Prediction Discussion Thread

voodoochile
03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Well of course it had to be HomeFish that inspired me to make this thread.

3rd, HomeFish... 3rd?!??!??!??!

I swear you are just a troll...

NSSoxFan
03-19-2006, 06:09 PM

I swear you are just a troll...

HomeFish is a joke. I get a kick out of his posts.

HomeFish
03-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Cleveland has a very good offense and the Twins are always a scrappy, fundamentals team who won't be set back by injury this year. If the Indians offense falls off, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see them in third instead. Like I also said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the team get as many as 87 wins.

Mainly, I have serious concerns about our bullpen and about the ability of our starting pitchers to match their career years in 2005. Especially the bullpen. The rotation has BMac to fall back on, but what do we have in the bullpen? Nothing if Jenks, Politte, and Hermanson all have bad years, especially if BMac has to go and back somebody up in the starting 5.

Trav
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Why is McArthy "fingernails on a blackboard"?

Is it because of his hype? I am confused.

voodoochile
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Why is McArthy "fingernails on a blackboard"?

Is it because of his hype? I am confused.

McCarthy isn't, B Mac (without the space) is...

soxfan26
03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
HomeFish is a joke.

Truer words were never spoken.

voodoochile
03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Cleveland has a very good offense and the Twins are always a scrappy, fundamentals team who won't be set back by injury this year. If the Indians offense falls off, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see them in third instead. Like I also said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the team get as many as 87 wins.

Mainly, I have serious concerns about our bullpen and about the ability of our starting pitchers to match their career years in 2005. Especially the bullpen. The rotation has Fingernails on a blackboard to fall back on, but what do we have in the bullpen? Nothing if Jenks, Politte, and Hermanson all have bad years, especially if Fingernails on a blackboard has to go and back somebody up in the starting 5.

Well now it makes perfect sense...

The all hit no pitching Tribe is going to win more than 85 games and not fall out of it in the final month when they go into a slump and so are the Twinkies who will surely stay healthy all season long and also win at least 86 games. Meanwhile the Sox who clearly improved on last season's team including adding a better #5 starter and a healthy DH who when on can carry a team for months at a time are going to regress by 14 games...:?::rolleyes:

How soon should we start your stuck thread in the WTS forum for this season?

Crede_Fan
03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
I could maybe see someone saying 2nd, but 3rd is just crazy. Where's the chart?

Scottiehaswheels
03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I can see us regressing a bit with our bullpen and the fact that we prolly won't take 14 each from the Tigs/Royals again this year but I have to agree 14 games over a season is a bit much.... Should do slightly better vs. NL and A's I would think though.... to make up for those extra losses

FarWestChicago
03-19-2006, 07:05 PM

I swear you are just a troll...I think it was a truly weak effort by HomeFish. The Sox over .500? He's a mere shadow of his former self. :tongue:

Trav
03-19-2006, 07:19 PM
I was reading Who's on Third. A history of the White Sox and I started feeling like homefish. After every positive season or trade that looked like we had the edge or a signing of a big player disaster struck. It's hard to say the Thome will be healthy and the bullpen will be good. Maybe it's just me... and Homefish.

santo=dorf
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Mainly, I have serious concerns about our bullpen and about the ability of our starting pitchers to match their career years in 2005. Especially the bullpen. The rotation has Fingernails on a blackboard to fall back on, but what do we have in the bullpen? Nothing if Jenks, Politte, and Hermanson all have bad years, especially if Fingernails on a blackboard has to go and back somebody up in the starting 5.

Please do the EXACT same analysis for Cleveland and the Twins.

TWANG............................................. .............THUMP

Also, I think some of you are way off on Uribe being the strikeout king for the Sox. We got Thome, so unless he goes down you can pencil him in for 110+ K's. Brian Anderson also strikes out a ton, but Uribe's AB/K have been increasing since coming to the Sox and he wasn't that bad last season.

HotelWhiteSox
03-19-2006, 07:38 PM
If not first then I think the Wild Card is theirs.

Should be a fun race (though I don't think people here will be able to handle it), that is if Cleveland doesn't bomb the first half again, since the second half they had isn't as likely. I wonder if the Twins will be competitive, and I think we did a great thing of getting better with a good Indians team, though I don't mind what they did with their pitching .

balke
03-19-2006, 07:48 PM
This team should be a lock for the playoffs.

I'm not confident about the lineup this season, I think the Sox are putting a lot of pressure on the starters. The nice thing is, there's enough starters on the team to deal for a bat and a Bullpen arm midseason if need be. The Sox are in a great position to dominate the central.

I would guess noone in our division takes the Wild Card, unless Cleveland has some monstrous 1st half run.

Yankees
(W.C.) Red Sox - better team than the Yankees, but still will mess it up somehow.

White Sox

A's

Central GB
White Sox 0
Cleveland -6
Minnesota -9
Detroit -9.5
Kansas City -32

WSox8404
03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Truer words were never spoken.

Agreed. 3rd behind the Twins and Indians? THE TWINS?!?!?!? :?:

A. Cavatica
03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
McCarthy isn't, B Mac (without the space) is...

Did you set up the language filter for that? I'll be ROFLMAO if you did. Let's try it out...BMac, BMac, BMac.

chisoxmike
03-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I can't believe how many 100+ win predictions there are.

santo=dorf
03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Is a 1 game improvement asking too much with the additions of Thome, Mack, and Vazquez to go along with the subtractions of Everett, Timo, El Duque, and Marte?

Trav
03-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Is a 1 game improvement asking too much with the additions of Thome, Mack, and Vazquez to go along with the subtractions of Everett, Timo, El Duque, and Marte?

Getting a big DH who was hurt last year, a bench player and a fourth starter doesn't really rap up the 100 win season for me. If everything goes well then sure it will but things went really well last year. When is the last time that the Sox had two years where everything went well?

You forgot about the subtraction of a gold glove CF.

santo=dorf
03-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Getting a big DH who was hurt last year, a bench player and a fourth starter doesn't really rap up the 100 win season for me. If everything goes well then sure it will but things went really well last year. When is the last time that the Sox had two years where everything went well?

You forgot about the subtraction of a gold glove CF.
I don't recall Aaron winning a Gold Glove last season, and according to the scouts, his replacement plays just as good or even better defense.

If last year's team with an even more injured DH, two mediocre bench players, and maybe a 7th starter (Vazquez is a tremendous upgrade over Hernandez) won 99 games, surely this team could match that amount of win 1 more game. Why did everything "go well" for the Sox team last year? Isn't it a direct result of the players and coaches? (Mostly of whom are returning or upgrades replacing last years players.)

I also wouldn't put much stock in what has happened in previous years with our franchise because quite simply, the franchise has never been in this position before. (win a World Series in this era then increase the payroll $20 million the following season.)

thomas35forever
03-19-2006, 11:51 PM
We made better moves than both the Twins and Indians. The Tribe traded away Coco Crisp and the Twins lost Jacque Jones and really only signed Luis Castillo. I don't think we'll win 100 games this year, but I think we'll win 92-97 games instead. 100 is just a little over the edge.

Trav
03-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't recall Aaron winning a Gold Glove last season, and according to the scouts, his replacement plays just as good or even better defense.

If last year's team with an even more injured DH, two mediocre bench players, and maybe a 7th starter (Vazquez is a tremendous upgrade over Hernandez) won 99 games, surely this team could match that amount of win 1 more game. Why did everything "go well" for the Sox team last year? Isn't it a direct result of the players and coaches? (Mostly of whom are returning or upgrades replacing last years players.)

I also wouldn't put much stock in what has happened in previous years with our franchise because quite simply, the franchise has never been in this position before. (win a World Series in this era then increase the payroll $20 million the following season.)

Tori Hunter was injured for half the year and won the Gold Glove. That's BS. Rowand's replacement is a rookie. I don't care what the scouts say, he isn't going to be as good as Rowand this year. I just hope the drop-off isn't going to hurt us.

Everett wasn't hurt as much as Thome was last year.

"Going Well" refers to staying injury free for the most part and no player have the worse year of their career. Takatsu not included.

If Jenks can be as effective as Hermanson was last year and if Anderson's defense is in the same ballpark as Rowand's and if Thome stays healthy then there isn't any doubt in my mind who the best team will be. But those are allot of ifs.

You are correct about winning a WS and improving the team, however.

ondafarm
03-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Tori Hunter was injured for half the year and won the Gold Glove. That's BS. Rowand's replacement is a rookie. I don't care what the scouts say, he isn't going to be as good as Rowand this year. I just hope the drop-off isn't going to hurt us.

Everett wasn't hurt as much as Thome was last year.

"Going Well" refers to staying injury free for the most part and no player have the worse year of their career. Takatsu not included.

If Jenks can be as effective as Hermanson was last year and if Anderson's defense is in the same ballpark as Rowand's and if Thome stays healthy then there isn't any doubt in my mind who the best team will be. But those are allot of ifs.

You are correct about winning a WS and improving the team, however.

Hunter's Gold Glove was BS, but having seen both Anderson and Rowand play CF Anderson will be a better CF for defense. Anderson will get better jumps and be a much more instinctive player than Rowand. Rowand will continue to slam into walls, which I know impresses a lot of people here, but Anderson will have those balls before the wall. Anderson has the better throwing arm as well.

As to Thome's health, only time will tell. I think he will be more productive than the Everrett/ Thomas combination was last year. With a productive lefty righty power surge batting 3-4 (and 5 with Dye) the Sox should have a better run producing team.

cheeses_h_rice
03-20-2006, 12:57 AM

I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking. The Sox's domination of the AL Central and their record in 1-run games won't be repeated in '06, I think.

94 wins sounds about right to me, and I'd be ecstatic if they do it.

Trav
03-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Hunter's Gold Glove was BS, but having seen both Anderson and Rowand play CF Anderson will be a better CF for defense. Anderson will get better jumps and be a much more instinctive player than Rowand. Rowand will continue to slam into walls, which I know impresses a lot of people here, but Anderson will have those balls before the wall. Anderson has the better throwing arm as well.

As to Thome's health, only time will tell. I think he will be more productive than the Everrett/ Thomas combination was last year. With a productive lefty righty power surge batting 3-4 (and 5 with Dye) the Sox should have a better run producing team.

I was more impressed with the way Rowand worked at getting better jumps on the ball than his ability to hold on to the ball after running into a wall full speed. He reallly transformed into a CF right before our eyes. If Anderson's instincts are better than Rowand's I will not be suprised.

I'm pretty skeptical of a rookie playing better than a veteran no matter who he is.

There is no doubt that a healthy Konerko-Thome will be more productive than
last years group. Personally, I am really excited about our version of Ortiz-Ramirez. Thome's ability to stay healthy for an entire season still worries me. I would love to have him break Joey Belle's homerun record.

Off topic: Anyone know anymore about his hammy?

chisoxmike
03-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking. The Sox's domination of the AL Central and their record in 1-run games won't be repeated in '06, I think.

Yes. For a fully healthy team I think 94 wins is about right. Where that puts them at the end of the season......

PaulDrake
03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
OK I'll stick my neck out and take my chances. I'm concerned. The bullpen situation doesn't look good. I don't expect to Hermanson to pitch at all this year, or let me rephrase it and say I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. A sophomore slump for Iguchi wouldn't surprise me in the least. Is Brian Anderson going to be a ROY candidate or is CF going to be a big black hole this year? Is Jim Thome really back or did we make a Roy Sievers like trade for him? That's my age showing there. A healthy and speedy Scott Podsednik is an absolute necessity. He was the one guy more than anybody that changed the dynamic of the team last year. They really struggled when he was injured. On the plus side I'm confident about the starting pitching. I'm also looking for solid years from Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe and Konerko. The bench should be solid. Baseball is the hardest sport to prognosticate. There are always surprises of the pleasant and unpleasant variety. I expect the Sox to make the playoffs, but I'm not so confident about a two peat right now. I'm anxious for the season to begin.

nedlug
03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
HomeFish is a joke. I get a kick out of his posts.

I don't get the punchline.

ondafarm
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
OK I'll stick my neck out and take my chances. I'm concerned. The bullpen situation doesn't look good. I don't expect to Hermanson to pitch at all this year, or let me rephrase it and say I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. A sophomore slump for Iguchi wouldn't surprise me in the least. Is Brian Anderson going to be a ROY candidate or is CF going to be a big black hole this year? Is Jim Thome really back or did we make a Roy Sievers like trade for him? That's my age showing there. A healthy and speedy Scott Podsednik is an absolute necessity. He was the one guy more than anybody that changed the dynamic of the team last year. They really struggled when he was injured. On the plus side I'm confident about the starting pitching. I'm also looking for solid years from Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe and Konerko. The bench should be solid. Baseball is the hardest sport to prognosticate. There are always surprises of the pleasant and unpleasant variety. I expect the Sox to make the playoffs, but I'm not so confident about a two peat right now. I'm anxious for the season to begin.

Right now, I'd be betting on the Sox to win the ALCD (fun money not mortgage money.) I'd also take a flyer on the Sox to repeat, but that's totally fun money. There are no sure bets in baseball.

Bobbo35
03-21-2006, 09:24 PM
I can see us regressing a bit with our bullpen and the fact that we prolly won't take 14 each from the Tigs/Royals again this year but I have to agree 14 games over a season is a bit much.... Should do slightly better vs. NL and A's I would think though.... to make up for those extra losses

I can see our bullpen struggling, but I can see Kenny making some midseason trades that will bolster up the pen. If our starting pitching goes out like they did last year I see it being a non-factor.

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2006, 10:27 PM

94 seems a little low. I mean Cleveland won 93 last season even with having to play the Sox. I think that the '06 Sox are just as good as them. Plus, we don't have to face the strong competition like they did. I would say 96 or 97 will be as low as it will get. Now, yeah, I admit 103 may be a little high. But if you're going to go big, go really big.

:wink: