PDA

View Full Version : WSI'ers in Tucson for Sox/Cubs

MarySwiss
03-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I didn't see another thread, so let me start this one off.

Mr.MarySwiss and I showed up at Country Folks restaurant near TEP at about 10:00. While there, we met up with FoulkeFan, Ode_to_Veeck and his group, Tags22 and his group, and Manders_01. We then drove down to TEP and dropped by Westsider's tailgate. It was great to meet him and his friends; very nice folks.

At 12:30, we went to the concourse by Gate A, where we again met up with Manders. Interestingly, a guy approached us and asked if any of us were from NW Indiana. When Manders said she was, the guy told her he was a reporter for a local newspaper and asked Manders if he could interview her. She did a great interview--but that's her story, so I'll let her tell it when she gets back online. She'll probably also provide a link to the interview.

The park was quite crowded, especially around that concourse. We were sorry we didn't catch up with Michned, Realist, and Pdimas, but as the Cubs are fond of saying, "Wait 'til Next Year."

Sights seen:

The World Series trophy. It was available for photo-ops once the game started.

A skinny guy in a Shammy T-Shirt with a cubby bear tattoo’ed on his leg.

A woman wandering around in a Cubs jersey wearing a license plate around her neck that read, “I BOO SOX.” We can only say that she should have been wearing it over her face.

My only regret: that Ozzie didn’t play Paulie, A.J., or Jermaine.

Final score: Sox 9. Lovable Losers 3.

As it should be.

MarySwiss
03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Whoops, some other stuff I should've mentioned, but didn't.

How cool it was to be walking along the sun-kissed concourse while listening to "Let's Go, Go-Go White Sox."

How cool it was to hear the roar that went up when the PA guy introduced the 2005 World Champion Sox. (Never gets old; never will.)

How cool it was to see the Cubs fan in the row in front of us (behind home plate) stand up, cellphone in hand, and wave to somebody in the outfield, only to hear a bunch of Sox fans yell--and I quote--"Siddown!"

How cool it was to see Sox and Cubs fans in our section tell the lemonade vendor to "send the beer guy." Who do they think we are anyway, California fans?

How cool it was to hear the trivia question, "Who won the 1906 WS, who lost, and in how many games?" (If you have to look this up, shame on you!)

How cool it was to get my picture taken with the WS trophy.

How cool it will be to do all of this again next Spring.

RadioheadRocks
03-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey MarySwiss!

Sounds like you had an awesome time at the game! Had to settle for watching it on WGN, but it sure was nice to see that graphic with the Sox logo alongside the World Series trophy whenever the scores were displayed, not to mention the announcements for "the next telecast of World Champion White Sox baseball"!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Was in Tucson a couple weeks back and caught the game vs. the A's on Tuesday the 7th; first Cactus League game I attended and it was a blast! I also could have caught them at Hi Corbett on the 6th, but I just flew in that morning after working until 3am and I needed to catch at least a few ZZZZZs that afternoon. (sigh)

kevin57
03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
MarySwiss, great stories, thanks for relating them,
although it may strike some as 'flubsessed.'

It is reassuring to know that Cub fans are not twisted because of something in the water here. They're idiots even 3,000 miles away.

MarySwiss
03-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey MarySwiss!

Sounds like you had an awesome time at the game! Had to settle for watching it on WGN, but it sure was nice to see that graphic with the Sox logo alongside the World Series trophy whenever the scores were displayed, not to mention the announcements for "the next telecast of World Champion White Sox baseball"!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Was in Tucson a couple weeks back and caught the game vs. the A's on Tuesday the 7th; first Cactus League game I attended and it was a blast! I also could have caught them at Hi Corbett on the 6th, but I just flew in that morning after working until 3am and I needed to catch at least a few ZZZZZs that afternoon. (sigh)

Yep, it was outstanding! I've been to ST games in the past--after all, I live here!--but the difference now that we've won it all is remarkable! Sox fans strutting around, proud as peacocks, WOW! I was at the Sox/Angels game in Anaheim on the 8th, but the atmosphere there was totally different. Being at the game today was almost like being back in Chicago--only 30 degrees warmer. I am so looking forward to COTC!

MarySwiss
03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
MarySwiss, great stories, thanks for relating them,
although it may strike some as 'flubsessed.'

It is reassuring to know that Cub fans are not twisted because of something in the water here. They're idiots even 3,000 miles away.

Well, if it does, it does! I calls 'em as I sees 'em. And Manders_01--and probably many others--can verify my story about that pathetic license plate loser. I saw her behind home plate, again in the concourse by Gate A, and again out behind left field. As near as I can tell, she spent the whole day wandering around the park with the license plate around her neck. Why would one do this? Trying to pick a fight? Who knows? If she was, she didn't get one. By and large, she seemed to be ignored. By Sox fans who--or so the popular myth goes--resent Cubs fans.

One might want to ask her--who exactly is obsessed here?

soxwon
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
How cool it was to see the Cubs fan in the row in front of us (behind home plate) stand up, cellphone in hand, and wave to somebody in the outfield, only to hear a bunch of Sox fans yell--and I quote--"Siddown!"

How cool it will be to do all of this again next Spring.

I went to a Blue Jays-Phillies game thursday night in clearwater
A cubs fan decked out in Cub Blue with the Big Bullseye shirt
was sitting two rows behind me

Guess what he was doing?
He was on the Frickin Cell Phone for almost the whole game
He was complaining there was no old style sold there
"it should be because Old Style is the WORLDS most favorite beer"
thats his words.

i told him i came to FLA to get away from losers like him.
He said "THis year we are DA WINNERS, its our turn"
and in response to me saying Prior and Wood might miss 2 months
he said "that will guarantee us the Title, when they get back stronger than ever, because Zambo, Hill and Rusch will all be on their way to 20 wins each"
i simply had to laugh.

WestSider
03-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Mary, nice to meet you. Great game too!

We will be tailgating in the R.V. at Maryvale tomorrow (Sunday) and Surprise (Monday), anyone is welcome to stop by.

Steelrod
03-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, if it does, it does! I calls 'em as I sees 'em. And Manders_01--and probably many others--can verify my story about that pathetic license plate loser. I saw her behind home plate, again in the concourse by Gate A, and again out behind left field. As near as I can tell, she spent the whole day wandering around the park with the license plate around her neck. Why would one do this? Trying to pick a fight? Who knows? If she was, she didn't get one. By and large, she seemed to be ignored. By Sox fans who--or so the popular myth goes--resent Cubs fans.

One might want to ask her--who exactly is obsessed here?
Better yet, can you imagine whats going on in her mind?

MarySwiss
03-19-2006, 09:34 AM
I went to a Blue Jays-Phillies game thursday night in clearwater
A cubs fan decked out in Cub Blue with the Big Bullseye shirt
was sitting two rows behind me

Guess what he was doing?
He was on the Frickin Cell Phone for almost the whole game
He was complaining there was no old style sold there
"it should be because Old Style is the WORLDS most favorite beer"
thats his words.

i told him i came to FLA to get away from losers like him.
He said "THis year we are DA WINNERS, its our turn"
and in response to me saying Prior and Wood might miss 2 months
he said "that will guarantee us the Title, when they get back stronger than ever, because Zambo, Hill and Rusch will all be on their way to 20 wins each"
i simply had to laugh.

Too bad you didn't know at the time that Rusch would start against the Sox yesterday--and get rocked! :cool:

Blueprint1
03-20-2006, 01:58 AM
I was at the game also. I just walked in the door a few minitues ago. I have some Pics I should post them. Great game. :D:

MarySwiss
03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I was at the game also. I just walked in the door a few minitues ago. I have some Pics I should post them. Great game. :D:

Terrific! If you do post them, please let us know. I'll see how my pictures--including the one with the trophy--came out later today, and if they're any good, I'll post them too.

Dick Allen
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Why was the woman wearing a license plate? Did she have a face like a mack truck? Or just built like one?

MarySwiss
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Why was the woman wearing a license plate? Did she have a face like a mack truck? Or just built like one?

Not built like one, no. How can I put this nicely? Let's just say that the gold standard for "babe-ism" at Wrigley Field can't be very high. :cool:

manders_01
03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Mary, nice to meet you. Great game too!

We will be tailgating in the R.V. at Maryvale tomorrow (Sunday) and Surprise (Monday), anyone is welcome to stop by.

I thought I recognized the RV in the parking lot at yesterdays game. :D:

manders_01
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Well all, I'm back to nose to the grindstone but I don't mind so much. My long weekend of baseball was totally awesome! I had sooooo much fun!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

I only had the chance to meet MarySwiss this go around but I'm hoping to go down next season again. It's definitely worth it. I end up staying at the Red Roof Inn on Irvington - it was a five min drive to TEP and the room was impecable. Plus the pool and hot tub were great too. I would highly recommend it. I think there were a few other WSIers there but our paths never crossed. Next time though.

Oh yeah, if the interview ends up running, it's supposed to be in the Post-Trib on Wednesday.

roylestillman
03-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Just got back, too.

The Saturday game was a stitch. Did anybody else see the friend of the heckled Cub cell phone man (who actually was told to sit down by one of the ushers - kudo's and attaboys to him) with the permanently ingrained sunglass sunburn line? You'd think with all them day games they would have discovered sun block by now. Great game the bats look like they are finding their stride.

St Pat's at McDuffy's was a bit of a bust, Who books a reggae band - and I don't care if he was wearing those green pj's. May da roads rise to met ya maan.

MarySwiss
03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Just got back, too.

The Saturday game was a stitch. Did anybody else see the friend of the heckled Cub cell phone man (who actually was told to sit down by one of the ushers - kudo's and attaboys to him) with the permanently ingrained sunglass sunburn line? You'd think with all them day games they would have discovered sun block by now. Great game the bats look like they are finding their stride.

St Pat's at McDuffy's was a bit of a bust, Who books a reggae band - and I don't care if he was wearing those green pj's. May da roads rise to met ya maan.

Royle, are you talking about the balding guy or the one with the thick mop of hair? If you mean the balding guy, he was making a major mistake sitting out in the sun with no cap on! Not a good idea in Arizona. I can virtually guarantee he got a nasty scalp burn.

Sorry you didn't have a better time at McDuffy's. There are actually quite a few good Irish pubs in the East Valley; my bad for not posting about them, but I got the impression most folks would be getting together in Tucson and I'm not up on their Irish pub scene.