PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular PARK section in Trib

chisoxmike
03-18-2006, 04:25 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-cellularpark-flashhtml,1,4830624.htmlstory?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

TornLabrum
03-18-2006, 04:43 PM
"It's so good to be here at Wrigley Stadium!"

SOecks
03-18-2006, 05:01 PM
That's just so embarassing. It's not like it's out of town media screwing it up. It's a CHICAGO PAPER. This one doesn't even make me mad, it just makes me laugh. Pathetic.

SOXSINCE'70
03-18-2006, 05:15 PM
This White Sox fan never calls their ball yard the Cell.:puking:

It's either Comiskey Park or Sox Park.:angry: :angry: At least
that's the way I approach it.

Milw
03-18-2006, 05:42 PM
This White Sox fan never calls their ball yard the Cell.:puking:

It's either Comiskey Park or Sox Park.:angry: :angry: At least
that's the way I approach it.
It's The Cell for me. U.S. Cellular paid a whole helluva lot of money to make that park better, they deserve to be acknowledged for that.

In fact, in a lot of ways, calling it The Cell doesn't even do justice to U.S. Cellular, but at least it's catchy ...

TheOldRoman
03-18-2006, 05:49 PM
It's The Cell for me. U.S. Cellular paid a whole helluva lot of money to make that park better, they deserve to be acknowledged for that.

In fact, in a lot of ways, calling it The Cell doesn't even do justice to U.S. Cellular, but at least it's catchy ...
I don't think I owe US Cellular anything.
However, the park is named US Cellular Field now. It is not Comiskey Park, and it never will be again. I can live with that. Comiskey Park died in 1990. Comiskey II was a cold, sterile park. USCF is a beautiful park. I will gladly accept the name change with the upgrade.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2006, 05:49 PM
:knue
"Code Blue! Code Blue! Our Cubness is showing on page 4! Code Blue!"

:wink:

itsnotrequired
03-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I like how the story is credited to "Tribune Staff Reporter". Not even the guys in the trenches were willing to fall on the sword for this one.:tongue:

Lip Man 1
03-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Just my personal feeling but the new park will always be Comiskey Park II, I don't care how much money U.S. Cellular paid.

Lip

fed ex 4 pasqua
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I'll call it US Cellular when they pay me $30 mil. Til then it'll always be Comiskey.

Railsplitter
03-18-2006, 07:50 PM
The cell is the basic unit of life. If baseball is life, then the Cell is basic unit of life.

DSpivack
03-19-2006, 12:44 AM
The best part is that right under "U.S. Cellular Park" it says "U.S. Cellular Field."

siugrad25
03-19-2006, 10:48 AM
In the schedule part of the special section it had the Opening Night game listed at 1:05...

Vernam
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Check this one out, too: http://tinyurl.com/hkusp.

"Illinois' Karl Damisch before Game 5 of the World Series in Anaheim."

:?:

Vernam

Brian26
03-19-2006, 12:21 PM
The unveiling of the Minoso statue was the #5 greatest moment of all time? That's just lazing journalism. What about the standing ovation in 2000 after the Cleve/NY roadtrip? What about Ventura's 7/31/91 grand slam? Ventura coming back after his injury in '97? ALCS Game #2 this year? 2003 All Star Game? Joe Crede's homer in Sept?

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2006, 01:04 PM
They're planning on a feature on Wrigley Park next week.:rolleyes: I guess we'll have to wait to find out if they mention a fan running on the field to attack Randy Myers the way they couldn't resist mentioning the Ligue incident.

rookie
03-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I will say that I did like the map of places to eat. It's nice to know of where to go and eat if you don't feel like tailgaiting that day, but don't want to pay the prices inside for food. Sometimes us suburbanites don't know the local places like the locals do. Reading that pullout though did give me a sudden urge to run out to Portillos for a hot dog.

Patrick134
03-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Just my personal feeling but the new park will always be Comiskey Park II, I don't care how much money U.S. Cellular paid.

Lip

There is only one Comiskey park, and it's gone. Reusing the name for the new park was always a bad idea, and a lame olive branch to fans who missed the old park. I'm not a huge fans of corporate names, but the name is what it is. The old park was Comiskey because he put the money up, and putting money up made this one the cell. The funny gamble is us cellular could always go under or be bought out in future years. Enron Park anyone?

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-19-2006, 08:38 PM
The Tribune makes a mistake about where the Sox play. Big surprise.

Let us all remember - Wrigley Field was named after a corporate sponsor also...besides its owner.

HomeFish
03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I will say that I did like the map of places to eat. It's nice to know of where to go and eat if you don't feel like tailgaiting that day, but don't want to pay the prices inside for food. Sometimes us suburbanites don't know the local places like the locals do. Reading that pullout though did give me a sudden urge to run out to Portillos for a hot dog.

I swear I saw a White Sox released list of restaurants in Bridgeport before. It was 2003, my friend got his card jammed in an ATM machine, so we went into the front office to ask for help, and while I was there I saw a pile of brochures and took one.

It didn't have a map, though, which I thought was its only fault. But there's all sorts of stuff, even a relatively wide selection of ethnic places (at least one Lithuanian place, I believe). At least according to the brochure I saw.

kevin57
03-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Actually, I thought the Trib acquitted itself pretty well. Yeah, there were some :rolleyes: moments, but overall, not bad, especially for the Cubune.

I too tend to call it "The Cell." That discussion's been had here before, and actually, I think "The Cell" has kind of a nice ring to it. :redneck

JohnBasedowYoda
03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Actually, I thought the Trib acquitted itself pretty well. Yeah, there were some :rolleyes: moments, but overall, not bad, especially for the Cubune.

I too tend to call it "The Cell." That discussion's been had here before, and actually, I think "The Cell" has kind of a nice ring to it. :redneck

The Cell has a tough ring to it too. Like good guys wear black and win or die trying. Fits the team if you ask me.

RadioheadRocks
03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
What about Ventura's 7/31/91 grand slam?

I was at that game and I'm almost positive that was the game where Madonna was sitting right above the Sox dugout.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
That time period was when they were making 'A League Of Their Own' in Indiana. Many of the actors went to the park at night to relax.

I have TV video showing Hanks, Lovitz and Penny Marshall all sitting around the Sox dugout at one time or another.

Lip

Foulke You
03-20-2006, 01:52 AM
They're planning on a feature on Wrigley Park next week.:rolleyes: I guess we'll have to wait to find out if they mention a fan running on the field to attack Randy Myers the way they couldn't resist mentioning the Ligue incident.
Did you also notice in the same "dubious moments" of US Cellular Field section that mentioned the Ligue incident that they couldn't resist listing the Cubs beating the Sox 8-3 in the first ever interleague regular season game that counted? They did manage to put a footnote at the end that the Sox won Game 2 and Game 3 to WIN the first ever Interleague series. So...I ask you Trib Co...how is winning the first ever interleague series a "dubious moment"? Just because the Cubs grabbed the first one? Puh-leez.

Foulke You
03-20-2006, 01:56 AM
I also found the whole Trib pullout section rather amusing. It was as if our ballpark and team were brand new in town and the Tribune was just now noticing our existence and felt the need to educate the masses after years of the philsophy known as "deny everything" about the positives of the White Sox experience. It is a veritable bandwagon jumping Cub fan hand guide to our ballpark. At least they are aknowledging the positives the neighborhood and ballpark has to offer for a change. Baby steps, baby steps...

C-Dawg
03-20-2006, 06:50 AM
I chuckled at the scoreboard photo with the older McDonald's logo and the little bit of the Primeco ad. Gotta be a couple years old. :cool:

The Critic
03-20-2006, 07:19 AM
I chuckled at the scoreboard photo with the older McDonald's logo and the little bit of the Primeco ad. Gotta be a couple years old. :cool:

Why would they have any more recent photos of USCF? Did anything newsworthy happen there recently???
:D: