PDA

View Full Version : Letter in today's Cubune

thomas35forever
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Forgive me if I sound Flubsessed here, but here's a letter I read in the sports section today:

"I went to Cubs games in the late '50s and early '60s when attendance was 5,000 a game, Don Zimmer, Tony Taylor and Moose Moryn were on the field and they played their hearts out. Nowadays, Cubs management could put a can of dog food out there and 40,000 fans would show up.

The blue hairs from Iowa and the yuppies on their speed dials don't have a clue what good baseball is. Give them a warm beer, a cold hot dog and a $40 Cubs cap and these people are hapy."

The title of the letter was "Little Appreciation."

I rest my case.

SOecks
03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I just read that section a little bit ago. I'm really surprised they allowed that letter in their paper along with a couple of the other negative Cub letters.

Trav
03-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I just read that section a little bit ago. I'm really surprised they allowed that letter in their paper along with a couple of the other negative Cub letters.

Why? They don't care if people are talking badly about the cubs. As long as they are talking about them then the Cubune wins. It's not like people are going to stop going. If anything they will start paying more attention. That's a good thing if you are a baseball fan. The world needs more true fans even if they like the wrong team.

Besides, chances are if they start to pay attention to the game of baseball they will realize that the cubs are nothing like a baseball team should be, and start to enjoy south side baseball.

PaulDrake
03-19-2006, 12:34 AM
"I went to Cubs games in the late '50s and early '60s when attendance was 5,000 a game, Don Zimmer, Tony Taylor and Moose Moryn were on the field and they played their hearts out. Nowadays, Cubs management could put a can of dog food out there and 40,000 fans would show up.

I rest my case. Fond memories of my youth, and oh so true about the situation now.

The Critic
03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
The only part I'd disagree with is the implication that none of the current players "play their hearts out". I'm absolutely certain that there were players in the past who took their share of days off (reading books like Ball Four make me believe this) and I believe that current Cub players like Lee, Barrett, Pierre, Maddux and others (even Zambrano - he's nuts but I believe he cares about the game) are playing hard whenever they're out there.

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2006, 02:12 PM
I just read that section a little bit ago. I'm really surprised they allowed that letter in their paper along with a couple of the other negative Cub letters.It's in the sports section. Cubs fans will never see it. Now, if it was in the entertainment section....