PDA

View Full Version : Another Example of Cub Bias at Trib

AsInWreck
01-14-2002, 05:30 PM
In today's column in the tribune, phil roger's MLB report, mr rogers makes the arbitrary claim that the so/ip ratio of 7.00 is a good indicator of a young pitchers worthiness of long term contract, stating that high ratio is an indicator of a pitcher's value. He then goes on to site many cubs pitchers who's ratio exceeds 7, while pointing out nearly all sox " young stable" of pitchers fall below, incl buerhle.
Obviously an arbitrary statment to disparage the sox, he clearly failed to research this statement/ he would have not needed to look further than the braves to see the invalidness of his statement/maddux' ratio is 6.39, glavine 5.56--what an idiot!

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Basically, he's saying that if a pitcher gets everyone to ground out to the short stop, the pitcher sucks. Your right, this guy is a moron!

doublem23
01-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Basically, he's saying that if a pitcher gets everyone to ground out to the short stop, the pitcher sucks. Your right, this guy is a moron!

Well, look who's our shortstop... :hitless

Hmmm... He might have a point that if the Sox's pitchers can only get grounders to short, that would be bad.

:hitless
Yeah, I don't like to move or throw hard...

:burly :jon :glove :butter :rocked
Great.... We're screwed, aren't we?

bc2k
01-14-2002, 10:16 PM
High strikeout pitchers deserve long-term contracts? What a joke. I would choose to have a ground ball pitcher. Double plays would be higher than a strikeout pitcher. Also a ground ball pitcher generally has a lower pitch count.

Yeah, the tribune sucks. I read in sports illustrated that the price of a bleacher seat in wrigley field will be 24 dollars next season, 60% more than the same ticket cost two seasons ago.

bc2k
01-14-2002, 10:23 PM
regarding my last post above, i forgot to point out that the lower pitch count = less wear and tear on the arm = eventually a longer career. So if you have a ground ball pitcher and a strikeout pitcher, I think it is obvious you give the long term contract to the man who is less likely to break down and have surgery. Sorry Kerry "Tommy John" Wood but you're not worth the risk.

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Yeah, the tribune sucks. I read in sports illustrated that the price of a bleacher seat in wrigley field will be 24 dollars next season, 60% more than the same ticket cost two seasons ago.

That blows, but at the same time the Sox charge at least $18 for bleachers.

The bleachers and the Upperdeck seats each need to be lowered $4 or so. Hell, raise prices in the club level to help compensate for this move.