PDA

View Full Version : Carl Everett/Frank Thomas vs. Jim Thome as DH

TomBradley72
03-18-2006, 12:55 PM
If you look at how Carl Everett and Frank Thomas performed as the White Sox "combined DH" in 2005, here's the production the WSox saw from the DH position last year: 126 hits in 516 AB's, .244-31-99. (I backed out Everett's production as an OF).

Can Thome deliver the incremental production to offset the talent traded away (Rowand + two top pitching prospects)? Do the benefits of Thome's impact on Konerko resigning and the fact that we only have to use one roster spot for DH make it a good traded reagardless?

TheOldRoman
03-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Yes and yes.
Thome is healthy now. If he stays healthy, he will put up huge numbers like he has his whole career. Thome will easily top those numbers.

BainesHOF
03-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't think that's the proper way to look at the trade. There's no way that Everett and probably Thomas, given his injuries, would produce in 2006 the way they did in 2005.

Check out what Everett and Thomas and Rowand and Thome do this year.

esbrechtel
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
thome has played pretty well in spring training....so far i like the trade

Scottiehaswheels
03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think that's the proper way to look at the trade. There's no way that Everett and probably Thomas, given his injuries, would produce in 2006 the way they did in 2005.

Check out what Everett and Thomas and Rowand and Thome do this year. If you throw in Rowand you have to add Anderson/Mackowiak/? as well.....

ondafarm
03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
I don't think this question can be answered right now. Any/all of these players could be injured tomorrow or opening day or just before the world series. Having said that, I think that should everyone be mostly healthy, then Thome/Anderson will considerably outslug Crazy Carl/ Thomas and Rowand. Carl and Frank may get more at bats than Thome as all three are now playing the primary DH role. Rowand will probably have more ABs than Anderson as Ozzie will be protecting Anderson a bit more than ARow is being protected.
Just my opinion but I think all discussion right now is just speculative.

Rooney4Prez56
03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
If Thome is healthy, I don't see why he can't compete with Paulie for top power hitter.

mccombe_35
03-20-2006, 12:18 PM
last year the Sox DHs combined for .244, 33 HRs & 107 RBIs,
but only a .310 OB% with 75 runs scored.

With Thome being the primamy DH i would expect similar power #s but an increase in runs scored from the spot.

voodoochile
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
If you look at how Carl Everett and Frank Thomas performed as the White Sox "combined DH" in 2005, here's the production the WSox saw from the DH position last year: 126 hits in 516 AB's, .244-31-99. (I backed out Everett's production as an OF).

Can Thome deliver the incremental production to offset the talent traded away (Rowand + two top pitching prospects)? Do the benefits of Thome's impact on Konerko resigning and the fact that we only have to use one roster spot for DH make it a good traded reagardless?

If that were all there were, you would have a point, but Everett's OBP was a pathetic .313 last season. Thome should score more runs and come close to putting up an additional 15 HR. Both Frank and Carl are much bigger injury risks than Thome too.

This is a no brainer...