PDA

View Full Version : Ted Simmons

mccombe_35
03-18-2006, 11:18 AM
I was looking at his stats on baseball-ref & was wondering why this catcher got so little HOF consideration. I don't follow the National League too closely & his prime was a few years before my time. The guy's numbers are comparable to the HOF catchers, if not better, but he received less than 5% of the HOF vote to even remain on the ballot in his 1st year eligible.

Kind of wondering if any of you can give me any reasons for this.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/simmote01.shtml

Brian26
03-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Simmons had a solid career, but I think he falls just short of being HOF material. He was probably hampered by playing in the same era as such workhorses as Fisk and Bench too.

jamokes
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Ted Simmons was a very solid above average catcher but the Baseball Hall of Fame has such high standards(sometimes) to enter the Hall, ted was not at that point. Now if he was a NFL player, he'd be in with everything being equal.
If you want to look-up a former player who gets absolutely no credit and in my opinion is the MOST underrated player of my time, I'm 50 so going from the early 60's to now...........look up Vada Pinson. This guy was close to 3000 hits and if you're a kid now, you never probably heard of him. Just a good quiet player like Ted Simmons.

TomBradley72
03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Solid hitter...not the best on defense....I remember him having a relatively weak throwing arm....probably why he falls a little short of HoF.

bigfoot
03-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Simmons had the misfortune of playing for the Cardinals right after the 60's heydays, and his only post season games were with the Brewers. Anyone remember the Simmons era in Brew town?

SOXPHILE
03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Simmons had the misfortune of playing for the Cardinals right after the 60's heydays, and his only post season games were with the Brewers. Anyone remember the Simmons era in Brew town?

I do ! Cardinals are my 2nd favorite team after the White Sox. Before 2005, 1982 was my favorite World Series. I was in 7th grade, but I remember he did pretty good in the post season. I also remember thinking that it was weird that a former Cardinal was now getting hits against them in the World Series.

sox84
03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Solid hitter...not the best on defense....I remember him having a relatively weak throwing arm....probably why he falls a little short of HoF.
Tom is right on the mark about Simmons, though I think he was more than 'a little short'. Great hitter, but so so on defense.

21stcenturySox
03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Ahhh yes, the Days of Wine and Roses, when I was a young lad growing up behind the cheddar curtain. 'Twas a few days before Xmas and the Brew Crew and new GM Sal Bando traded For Simba, Rollie Fingers and Pete Vuckovich for David Green, Sixto Lezcano, Lary Sorensen, and Dave LaPoint (former Sox starter also). David Green was the lynchpin of that trade never to be heard from again. This was certainly THE trade of the Brewers short history, getting the future HOF'er Fingers and put the Brew Crew on the map.

Later when I went to school downstate in IL, I saw my first Sox game in May of '82, Friday night walked up to the old park on seat cushion nite and paid three bucks to sit in the lower deck right field. Fingers saved all three games that weekend as the Crew won them all. I remember getting close to the Brewer dugout that Sunday and being amazed that the Simba man was smoking a cigarette between innings. Didn't think that was allowed even back then.

Simba was an awesome hitter, but he didn't throw anybody out. Still, back then the AL didn't have a lot of base stealers outside of Rickey Henderson.

I will always hate St. Louis and the Cards for winning the '82 series. I went so school downstate in the middle of Cardinal country and after game seven I hid in the library from all the red-freaks. But it was an awesome series with Howard Cosell and ABC doing the games. . . Just couldn't close it in St. L after going up 3 games to 2.

Thank God for this year, my adopted White Sox win the Series (moved to Chicago after college and lived there for 20 years) and I can put to rest my sadness over that Series.

:smile: