PDA

View Full Version : Guess When Pat & Ron Mention...

DrCrawdad
03-18-2006, 10:03 AM
During today's broadcast of the Cubs vs. Sox Spring Training Game, when do you think Pat & Ron will talk about the '05 World Series TV ratings?

Pre-Game
1-3
4-6
7-9
Post-Game
Won't discuss it.

DMarte708
03-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Are you monitoring their broadcast to determine when they mention it? :?:

Well, regardless, I'd guess 4-6 inning. When the game becomes too boring for Santo and he's done whining about the HOF the topic will come up. He really dislikes the Sox, so it's inevitable the issue will arise.

I believe the better question would have been to guess when Pat/Ron mention the "overwhelming amount of Cub fans in the stadium."

DrCrawdad
03-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Are you monitoring their broadcast to determine when they mention it?

I have quite a "Honey Do" list for the day, but I'll try to monitor their badcast, as long as I can take it.

TDog
03-18-2006, 02:12 PM
When do you think they'll talk about 1.75 million people turning out for the victory parade?

SOecks
03-18-2006, 02:25 PM
When do you think they'll talk about 1.75 million people turning out for the victory parade?

I'm sure they will, but will mention how big of a surprise it was and how it was all Chicagoans there, not just Sox fans. Then they'll go on about how big a Cubs parade would be.

Clembasbal
03-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Is anyone watching the game?

Is it just me or are the cubs helmets a "cubbie blue" and the jerseys a idnight blue? The two colors combined look horrible. They need to coordinate that a little better, but whatever.

soxwon
03-18-2006, 03:34 PM
its hawk n dj on the mic

SOecks
03-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Is anyone watching the game?

Is it just me or are the cubs helmets a "cubbie blue" and the jerseys a idnight blue? The two colors combined look horrible. They need to coordinate that a little better, but whatever.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Maybe they decided to toughen up their image by changing to more manly colors:cool:. Weird though.

TDog
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm sure they will, but will mention how big of a surprise it was and how it was all Chicagoans there, not just Sox fans. Then they'll go on about how big a Cubs parade would be.

Thanks for extending the hypothetical to its logical conclusion.

I don't have television and didn't watch games that were, um, important last October, but I have read that there are new, allegedly better helmets available this year that have a different look. I don't know if the helmets referenced here are those.

TheOldRoman
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for extending the hypothetical to its logical conclusion.

I don't have television and didn't watch games that were, um, important last October, but I have read that there are new, allegedly better helmets available this year that have a different look. I don't know if the helmets referenced here are those. Yes, but they aren't talking about the helmets.

A couple of years ago, the Cubs switched their BP jersey and cap to a much darker blue. It isn't as dark as navy, but it is much darker than "Cubby blue". It looks ridiculous because it is worn with the normal royal blue batting helmets, and the logos on the cap and jersey are royal. It clashes.

This is typical Tribune crap. They sell the sheep on the "tradition", how "Cubby blue is so timeless". Then, they change their BP gear and much of their merchandise to navy blue, because marketing execs decided navy looks better with jeans, and sells better (see Mavericks, Dallas). They can't have it both ways. Either they are timeless and traditional, or they are modern and cool. Not both.

I believe that this is the begining of the Cubs using navy blue. Within 5 years, they will replace the royal with navy on their road jerseys. I guarantee it. They are working the change in slowly, and the sheep are eating it up, buying navy shirts and hats. Their home jerseys will remain the same to appeal to the traditionalists - the yuppies and bussinessmen on cellphones,, while the road jerseys will be cooler with hipper colors to appear to the modernists - the frat boys and south suburban high school kids who jumped ship in 2003 and are now stuck there.

TornLabrum
03-18-2006, 04:46 PM
This is typical Tribune crap. They sell the sheep on the "tradition", how "Cubby blue is so timeless". Then, they change their BP gear and much of their merchandise to navy blue, because marketing execs decided navy looks better with jeans, and sells better (see Mavericks, Dallas). They can't have it both ways. Either they are timeless and traditional, or they are modern and cool. Not both.

Future Cubune headline:

Cubby colors combine timeless, traditional with modern, cool

RadioheadRocks
03-18-2006, 07:54 PM
its hawk n dj on the mic

How sweet was it to see that graphic with a Sox logo alongside the World Series Trophy every time the scores were posted!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Clembasbal
03-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, but they aren't talking about the helmets.

A couple of years ago, the Cubs switched their BP jersey and cap to a much darker blue. It isn't as dark as navy, but it is much darker than "Cubby blue". It looks ridiculous because it is worn with the normal royal blue batting helmets, and the logos on the cap and jersey are royal. It clashes.

There is only one team that should wear Royal blue, and most of the time they don't even wear it. I'm talking about the Royals.

TheOldRoman
03-19-2006, 01:14 PM
There is only one team that should wear Royal blue, and most of the time they don't even wear it. I'm talking about the Royals.
No, several teams SHOULD wear royal. Among them, the Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, Blue Jays, Rangers, and Brewers. The Brewers are working there way back to the blue and yellow look of the 80's (retro alt jersey this year). The Mets took one of the best looks in baseball and made it vomit inducing by adding black. The Blue Jays have no idea what the **** they are doing.

As for the Royals, I always thought the black jersey and hat looked really sharp, but they just weren't "Royals" enough. Anyway, the Royals have removed all black from their unis (though they are keeping the black alternate jerseys) and have tossed the black caps. They are going back to the traditional look this year. The Mets and Jays should look to KC for advice.

SOXintheBURGH
03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
No, several teams SHOULD wear royal. Among them, the Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, Blue Jays, Rangers, and Brewers. The Brewers are working there way back to the blue and yellow look of the 80's (retro alt jersey this year). The Mets took one of the best looks in baseball and made it vomit inducing by adding black. The Blue Jays have no idea what the **** they are doing.

As for the Royals, I always thought the black jersey and hat looked really sharp, but they just weren't "Royals" enough. Anyway, the Royals have removed all black from their unis (though they are keeping the black alternate jerseys) and have tossed the black caps. They are going back to the traditional look this year. The Mets and Jays should look to KC for advice.

I agree, especially with the Mets. It was my understanding that the reason they wore orange and blue was because those were the dominant colors of the two NL teams that had moved from New York (Giants orange and Dodger blue). The uniforms that I saw from all the highlights I have seen from 86 looked sharp.

SOXPHILE
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
During today's broadcast of the Cubs vs. Sox Spring Training Game, when do you think Pat & Ron will talk about the '05 World Series TV ratings?

Pre-Game
1-3
4-6
7-9
Post-Game
Won't discuss it.

Just out of curiosity, did you or anyone listen to their very fist spring training broadcast this year (whenever that was) ? The anti-Cub sadist in me wanted to hear it, because I wonder how awkward it would have been for them. They would HAVE to mention the WHITE SOX WINNING THE WORLD SERIES, at some point, as I would think any broadcaster of any team would have to discuss the previous year, & the previous year's champion during the very first broadcast of spring training. Would have been kind of funny to hear Hughes saying "well Ronnie, the White Sox,....who won the world series last year, should be the team to beat as we get ready for the upcoming year..." -while Santo would have the more than usual whines and moans, and ".......yeah Pat, I...I.....I just....I just wish we could do that too. It's.....really not fair......boooo hooooo hooooooooooo !!!!"

Hangar18
03-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, but they aren't talking about the helmets.

I believe that this is the begining of the Cubs using navy blue. Within 5 years, they will replace the royal with navy on their road jerseys. I guarantee it. They are working the change in slowly, and the sheep are eating it up, buying navy shirts and hats. Their home jerseys will remain the same to appeal to the traditionalists - the yuppies and bussinessmen on cellphones,, while the road jerseys will be cooler with hipper colors to appear to the modernists - the frat boys and south suburban high school kids who jumped ship in 2003 and are now stuck there.

I noticed that a while back .................. the flubbies cant even get their bp colors right .... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahaahahahahahahaahhahahaa
Navy blue shirts and hats, yet their colors are regular blue and red. They look like clowns ...........unmatched clowns

VenturaSoxFan23
03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I voted for "Won't discuss it".

I listened to their game against the Rangers yesterday afternoon. (Baseball is a good sport to listen to when you're piddling around the house.)

They had enough trouble keeping the names of the replacement players in order, let alone worry about what the Sox are up to.

Pat Hughes: "That guy's last name would be a good score in Scrabble."

Hughes again: "There's a long fly ball to...um, Pierre's replacement, who grabs it for the final out."
Ron Santo: "You have a knack for knowing these guys, don't you?"
Hughes: "Yes, he flies out to centerfielder Harry Truman for the final out of the inning. Middle of 8, 2-0 Rangers, as Ron pounds the table in frustration."

TDog
03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I agree, especially with the Mets. It was my understanding that the reason they wore orange and blue was because those were the dominant colors of the two NL teams that had moved from New York (Giants orange and Dodger blue). The uniforms that I saw from all the highlights I have seen from 86 looked sharp.

That is my understanding. Fortunately no one was nostalgic for the checkered uniforms the Dodgers wore early in the 20th century.

SOecks
03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I voted for "Won't discuss it".

I listened to their game against the Rangers yesterday afternoon. (Baseball is a good sport to listen to when you're piddling around the house.)

They had enough trouble keeping the names of the replacement players in order, let alone worry about what the Sox are up to.

Pat Hughes: "That guy's last name would be a good score in Scrabble."

Hughes again: "There's a long fly ball to...um, Pierre's replacement, who grabs it for the final out."
Ron Santo: "You have a knack for knowing these guys, don't you?"
Hughes: "Yes, he flies out to centerfielder Harry Truman for the final out of the inning. Middle of 8, 2-0 Rangers, as Ron pounds the table in frustration."

Funny you mentioned the scrabble comment. I was driving yesterday and had the game on for maybe 10 minutes and heard that. He kept going on about it too, letter for letter, and the associated value it would have on a scrabble piece. "z worth 8 points...and then if you get a double word score, you're in great shape. And Ronny, imagine if you got a triple word score. That would be the best" Broadcasting genius.

TDog
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Funny you mentioned the scrabble comment. I was driving yesterday and had the game on for maybe 10 minutes and heard that. He kept going on about it too, letter for letter, and the associated value it would have on a scrabble piece. "z worth 8 points...and then if you get a double word score, you're in great shape. And Ronny, imagine if you got a triple word score. That would be the best" Broadcasting genius.

With the White Sox, Harry Caray used to drone on about how players would pronounce their names if they spelled them backwards. He wasn't playing along with a partner in those pre-Piersall radio days because he wasn't on speaking terms with any of the Ralph Fauchers, Gene Osborns and Bill Mercers he was teamed with. When the Tribune did an article (1976?, '77?) about Bill Mercer calling Harry Caray scum, Harry Caray shot back at Bill Mercer in print, pointing out, "he's reading girdle commercials in Dallas."

I'm not a Ron Santo fan, but these games don't even count, and many of the players won't make the team.