PDA

View Full Version : Why the A's are better than us

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 04:23 PM
They lost Giambi, so what do they do? They trade for one of the best first base prospects in baseball, Carlos Pena, and one that is major league ready too. It's also worth mentioning that the Rockies traded Mike Myers, Mike freaking Myers to the D-Backs for Jack Cust, the best lefthanded bat in the minors, we could use a lefty who can hit like him, power patience average, Cust beats the hell out the ball. Anyway here's the Pena link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/pena0114.html

Not that we need a first baseman but why can't Kenny address problems with this kind of efficiency?

Vsahajpal
01-14-2002, 04:28 PM
The problem with Cust is that he can't play on the field...anywhere! He's a hack at 1b and even worse in the OF. He can't play at Coors in that cavernous stadium, and with Helton at 1b...

The Rox tried to send him to Oakland for Piatt but couldn't. Now they are stuck with him.

and I'd say Blalock, Johnson and Burroughs rank ahead of Cust. Betemit too all from the left side.

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 05:08 PM
I think Blalock and Burroughs of those guys are better prospects than Cust but none better hitter, maybe Blalock but Cust gets the edge because he's done it at AAA and Hank hasn't. Johnson hit .256 last year, I know he's off the wrist injury that cost him all of 2000 but definitely casts doubt when it's him versus Cust. Burroughs hasn't shown any kind of power and does walk nearly as much as Cust. Cust has pretty much been the Frank Thomas of the minors and gets no respect because of his defensive troubles. He's good enough that I'd say lets hide in left or push Frank to first and trade Konerko. Cust is the man when he's got a bat in his hand. That's kind catchy :cool:

RedPinStripes
01-14-2002, 05:16 PM
:KW

"I can spot minor league tallent. We will win the WS with our farm system. Uncle Jerry told me so"

RichH55
01-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Bringing in a guy like Cust can't hurt......he doesnt cost much and gives you options and leverage......the Gm can't play the game for the players, but he can do his best to insure they are properly motivated or that another guy will have their at-bats

KempersRS
01-14-2002, 08:06 PM
I think there are several more reasons why the A's are better than us...

doublem23
01-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

"I can spot minor league tallent. We will win the WS with our farm system. Uncle Jerry told me so"

:ohno
What did we do to deserve this?

KempersRS
01-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:ohno
What did we do to deserve this?

That picture still spells "Baggy Dome Meltdown" to me...

doublem23
01-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
That picture still spells "Baggy Dome Meltdown" to me...

Yeah, I know... Also, that's pretty much what I looked like after Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS... Man, that pic sums up what it is to be a Sox fan.

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, while their starting pitching is better than ours, our offense blows the A's out of the water.
Bullpens are comparable but I'd give us an edge there, not sure who is gonna close for them since they lost Isringhausen though.

Jerry_Manuel
01-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I know... Also, that's pretty much what I looked like after Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS... Man, that pic sums up what it is to be a Sox fan.

Double, Kempers, that photo was taken after game three of the ALDS.

Jerry_Manuel
01-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
not sure who is gonna close for them since they lost Isringhausen though.

Unless I missed something it's going to be Billy Koch.

doublem23
01-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Double, Kempers, that photo was taken after game three of the ALDS.

Yeah, but it's so perfect....

Man, that was a bad day.....

Jerry_Manuel
01-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Yeah, but it's so perfect....

Man, that was a bad day.....

I think a better picture would have been after Foulke served up that homer to Martinez in game one.

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 09:27 PM

Unless I missed something it's going to be Billy Koch.

My bad! You are correct. I completely forgot about that one.

doublem23
01-14-2002, 09:44 PM
I think a better picture would have been after Foulke served up that homer to Martinez in game one.

Maybe, but I was still sure we were gonna win that series, even after the Game 1 loss, but man, when we lost Game 3.... God, it was like all my insides had been sucked out and replaced with air... Not cool, at all...

I just sat there, with my knees up to my head staring at the TV.... bad stuff, man... bad...

nut_stock
01-14-2002, 09:56 PM
I watched the end of the game at work (Sears store), and my co-workers were really letting me have it.

Jerry_Manuel
01-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Maybe, but I was still sure we were gonna win that series, even after the Game 1 loss

I knew it was over after game one. I think the photo of Wunsch (Game 3) leaning over is also a good image of the life of a Sox fan.

duke of dorwood
01-14-2002, 10:24 PM
But the A's are better, and young too. They got real top prospect without touching their rotation.

Maybe, but no one does a 3 for 1 like me

DrCrawdad
01-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Why are the A's better than the White Sox?

Chad Bradford.

- DrCrawdad, president and soul member of the Chad Bradford Fan Club.

RichH55
01-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Why are the A's better than the White Sox?

Chad Bradford.

- DrCrawdad, president and soul member of the Chad Bradford Fan Club.

Hey not a horrible deal...Olivia(sic) is about thisclose to being the best catcher we have....I'm hoping thats just not a case of prettiest woman on radio, but time will tell