PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi lower in the batting order, lower in batting average?

kevin57
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
This is not meant as a dark cloud thread, but a question of "strategy."

Iguchi's BA thus far is anemic. Ozzie has said it's because he's "anxious." Could it be related to being placed in the 6th spot of the order? He knows that that's where he's supposed to shine and that he will be expected in his second year to be even better than last year.

Could this be a mistake? We've all speculated that Uribe may not be a good man for the #2 spot, but not very much discussion has been had on whether Iguchi will really be much better at #6.

SoxFan76
03-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Theoretically, he should do nothing but improve. Another year in the league, he's seen the pitchers, and he no longer always has to advance the runner. He can swing away a lot more.

HomeFish
03-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Theoretically, he should do nothing but improve. Another year in the league, he's seen the pitchers, and he no longer always has to advance the runner. He can swing away a lot more.

It works both ways. The pitchers have seen him, know his weaknesses, where not to throw the ball, etc.

Mr. Skin
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Three weeks of spring training does not a season make. He'll be fine...

Fake Chet Lemon
03-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm excited to see what he does on the basepaths. Not many steals attempts when you are in the two hole. Run-Gooch-run! If AJ bats behind him I can see Gooch running with the pitch and getting to third base a lot when AJ pulls a grounder into Right Field.

fquaye149
03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
It works both ways. The pitchers have seen him, know his weaknesses, where not to throw the ball, etc.

Make a chart of Iguchi's last season BA during spring training.

Compare it to this season's BA during spring training.

We're doomed

bafiarocks03
03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
psh, wasn't he like batting .074! Oh come on!! I know it's just Spring Training! Still! are you kidding me! I told ya'll we'd regret getting rid of Willie! :smile: I can hear the We Want Willie chants starting! haha! Ok probably no..but I'll definetly be doing it!

lostletters
03-20-2006, 11:39 AM
He was fooling around with a new batting stance the first week of the season, and it did not work out. It had a huge effect on his average, a big negative effect.

Rocky Soprano
03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
psh, wasn't he like batting .074! Oh come on!! I know it's just Spring Training! Still! are you kidding me! I told ya'll we'd regret getting rid of Willie! :smile: I can hear the We Want Willie chants starting! haha! Ok probably no..but I'll definetly be doing it!

Iguchi doesnt bat .074 during the regular season when it counts. Willie does bat .074 during the regular season!

skobabe8
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Its the right move in theory, but I've been nervous about this since it was made public. I don't think Uribe will be batting second by the time the regular season is over.

ondafarm
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm excited to see what he does on the basepaths. Not many steals attempts when you are in the two hole. Run-Gooch-run! If AJ bats behind him I can see Gooch running with the pitch and getting to third base a lot when AJ pulls a grounder into Right Field.

You are a Gooch!!

Minnie Me
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Tadihito set up for big slothmore slump. Pitchers know how to handle him now.
Cintron will become starting at 2nd before the break.
I luv you Cintron. You better than Japanese All Star.

ondafarm
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Although there is a great deal of adjustments and readjustments and re-readjustments, the pitcher always has the advantage the first time a batter sees him. As the batter and pitcher become more familiar with each other, the advantage definately tips to the batter.

gobears1987
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Three weeks of spring training does not a season make. He'll be fine...Yeah seriously, people were ready to kill Dye in April and up to mid May

gobears1987
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
First you think this team needs Willie, now this. I hate to say it but you are a
:dumbass:

Uncle_Patrick
03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Three weeks of spring training does not a season make. He'll be fine...

Wow! I can't believe that Mr. Skin actually posts here. Sweet!

Baby Fisk
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow! I can't believe that Mr. Skin actually posts here. Sweet!Who is Mr. Skin?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Mercy! *breaks into a sweat*

Uncle_Patrick
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Who is Mr. Skin?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Mercy! *breaks into a sweat*

Yeah, I'd suggest not looking him up while your at work. :cool:

fquaye149
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. If you wanted to bust out the sophomore slump thing, that'd be one thing.

But if you honestly think the advantage goes to the PITCHERS on the second time around?

LOL. You need to get a grip on reality.

Of course we already knew that.

Baby Fisk
03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Does anyone else get creeped out by this weird ****?

batmanZoSo
03-20-2006, 03:31 PM

What..

the..

SoLongFrank
03-20-2006, 06:55 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060320&content_id=1357003&vkey=spt2006gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
The Iguchi doomsayers or the Harris love freaks need to read up. The Gooch had a banner day today. Most impressive is his SB & 3 DP's.

Uribe is the bigger concern. His avg has dropped from 318 to 241 in the last week. He's had just 1 hit in 3 gms. He's not been the same since the White Sox added Cintron. Ozzie needs to settle him down.

SBSoxFan
03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
The Gooch had a banner day today.
And so did the legend of Tyler Lumsden; it grew to a Boone Logan-esque proportion.

Tyler Who? :?:

Luke
03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
This is not a linear game. Hitters and pitchers will both fluctuate over the course of a season, this includes ST.

There's so much weird stuff that goes on at spring training, hitters without charts on pitchers, pitchers without scouting reports on hitters. Hitters may be trying a new bat, new shoe, new batting glove, new brand of gum, or a million other things that upset them. Same is true for pitchers. They might be trying out a new pitch, a new grip. Whatever it is, the numbers can get weird.

I wouldn't worry just yet. If it gets to be May, and he's not taking good swings, and having weak AB's, then something is wrong.

Bobbo35
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM

That is my theory as well. I think the pressure is off of him being in the 6th spot and not #2. He will be fine. Remember it is still spring training.

SoLongFrank
03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
The experiment is over. Gooch back at #2. Uribe's spring has earned him #6.
Followed by AJ, Crede, & Anderson.