PDA

View Full Version : Owens/Reynoso Sent Down

sox1970
03-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Jerry Owens and Paulino Reynoso have been optioned to AAA. The roster is at 37.

Looks like the lefty bullpen race is down to Almanza, Lopez, and Logan. It would be an amazing story if Boone Logan makes this team.

kevin57
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
All I know is that Almanza has not done much for me, and it seems like he's gotten lots of opportunities to prove himself.

Jurr
03-17-2006, 08:18 PM
We seem to have been getting a couple of those Spring Training suprise guys. Loaiza, Widge, Ozuna to name a few. I know I'm forgetting a couple.

DaleJRFan
03-17-2006, 10:18 PM
wow, I am really surprised by Reynoso. He was one of the few LOOGY candidates throwing the ball well. Almanza sucks. I guess Ozzie wasn't kidding about breaking camp with Logan.

KRS1
03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
wow, I am really surprised by Reynoso. He was one of the few LOOGY candidates throwing the ball well. Almanza sucks. I guess Ozzie wasn't kidding about breaking camp with Logan.
I think Paulino could possibly get righties out better than the guys we have competing for that spot as well. He is the only one of the guys bringing the heat so far, so I guess we'll have to wait until the end of camp and see where Redding, Montero, and Nunez are in that respect. With the way he had been attacking the zone prior to today(although he wasnt too bad today considering it was his first time really dialing it up), I sure wouldnt have minded seeing him get a longer look. The knock on him is he's always working with runners on, but the positive that comes out of that is how he handled those situations by really locking down.

Buehrle Man
03-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Look for Boone Logan and this new guy, Vladimir Nunez to make the team. Logan has pitched "LIGHTS OUT" and so has Nunez. Logan is only 21, which could turn out to be another of Kenny's Gems and same with Nunez. Nunez is not anywhere as young as Logan, but he has pitched for 8 years in the Majors and has done pretty well. He looked real tough against the Rockies the other day. He had good stuff, good moxie and threw strikes. I liked him a lot and I think he will make the club for Hermanson. His stats are not bad and he had one year that he was a closer and did pretty well and he also was a spot starter for a couple of years, so that can never hurt.

Here is a link to his numbers because I cannot post them, for some reason!
Vladimir Nunez's Career Pitching Numbers:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=136727

He had some good years in Florida, but some bad years in Colorado, but what else is new! He could be another Loaiza or early years Marte?!?!

According to ESPN, Nunez has an great fastball 90-94 MPH, a good hard slider, his out pitch is a great splitter, but he has a below average change up that gets him in trouble. hopefully he can pitch like he did in 2002 in Florida when he had 20 saves and an ERA of 3.41 and in 2001 with an ERA of 2.74. It would be a great pickup fro Kenny!

Lip Man 1
03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Buehrle:

According to the Chicago Tribune and Mark Gonzales story today the Sox have "closely watched" Atlanta's Oscar Villareal and that Oakland's Juan Cruz is available in trade.

Couple that with Ozzie's latest blast at the relief pitchers in Chris DeLuca's story in Saturday's Sun-Times and Hermanson now talking about the possibility of surgery and my conclusion is that Kenny is very, very close to making deals.

In my opinion the 'only' kid pitcher who makes the bullpen is Logan. Ozzie seems to be high on him. Also one of the stories today says Borchard has attracted the interest of Florida perhaps there is some pitching there as well.

We'll see...

Lip

soxinem1
03-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Look for Boone Logan and this new guy, Vladimir Nunez to make the team. Logan has pitched "LIGHTS OUT" and so has Nunez. Logan is only 21, which could turn out to be another of Kenny's Gems and same with Nunez. Nunez is not anywhere as young as Logan, but he has pitched for 8 years in the Majors and has done pretty well. He looked real tough against the Rockies the other day. He had good stuff, good moxie and threw strikes. I liked him a lot and I think he will make the club for Hermanson. His stats are not bad and he had one year that he was a closer and did pretty well and he also was a spot starter for a couple of years, so that can never hurt.

Here is a link to his numbers because I cannot post them, for some reason!
Vladimir Nunez's Career Pitching Numbers:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=136727

He had some good years in Florida, but some bad years in Colorado, but what else is new! He could be another Loaiza or early years Marte?!?!

According to ESPN, Nunez has an great fastball 90-94 MPH, a good hard slider, his out pitch is a great splitter, but he has a below average change up that gets him in trouble. hopefully he can pitch like he did in 2002 in Florida when he had 20 saves and an ERA of 3.41 and in 2001 with an ERA of 2.74. It would be a great pickup fro Kenny!

I've liked what I've seen of Logan too, and plus, that is a great baseball name and a GREAT White Sox player name too. It just sounds like it belongs.

But Nunez, well, from what I remember he has pitched real tentative the last few years. Plus something must be wrong with him, as he pitched for three or four AAA teams last year.

We cannot defend the title hoping someone can regain his form from 4-5 years ago. I'd rather take the gamble on Juan Cruz.

Tragg
03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Has that guy Rusty something that we picked up fairly recently thrown much this spring?

I'll worry only if Redding makes the team.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Tragg:

I may be wrong but I think Rusty was one of the first guys shipped out. I'm shocked that 'Montero' (spelling) is still with the team, I mean his ERA is over seven and he's personally blown two spring games just this week.

Lip

Beer Can Chicken
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Jerry Owens and Paulino Reynoso have been optioned to AAA. The roster is at 37.

Looks like the lefty bullpen race is down to Almanza, Lopez, and Logan. It would be an amazing story if Boone Logan makes this team.

I think it will be an amazing story and SUCCEEDS at the MLB level. If he makes the team and sucks, it won't be much of a story.

ondafarm
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
. . . my conclusion is that Kenny is very, very close to making deals. . .

I'm waiting until Wednesday.

KRS1
03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Tragg:

I may be wrong but I think Rusty was one of the first guys shipped out. I'm shocked that 'Montero' (spelling) is still with the team, I mean his ERA is over seven and he's personally blown two spring games just this week.

Lip

Yeah Tucker was gone early, but I have a feeling it was more about protecting his arm than his performance. The same goes for Corwin, I think KW, Wilder and Ozzie all thought it would serve the team better letting them regain their stuff conservatively, until they can pitch without holding back in the minors(which may also help their accuracy). They both can stand to stretch out their arms and start throwing with confidence, and until both of those guys can throw 100% there is no point in risking them on the roster. If they were on the big league roster they might try to do too much and potentially do more damage than good. Right now we have three young lefties in the minors in Paulino, Corwin, and Tucker who I feel great about, and each can throw some chedder which can only help their value to the Sox. Corwin is rumored to have his fastball running consitently at 92-94 in camp, Tucker was hitting 93 two weeks ago, and Reynoso was hurling 95 during his last outing with the club. Definitely a good situation to be in should someone fail, and if each can continue to harness their stuff and throw strikes with some consistency, it could be a great one.

About Nunez, Montero, and Redding, I think those guys are burned right now. My favorite remains Tracey, and he recently started throwing hard which in turn has upped his control significantly. I know I'll get the enevitable Sean has an erratic motion, and has trouble finding the zone on a consistent basis, but I always like the guy and expect big things from him. I wouldnt feel bothered one bit by taking two rookies in this pen, and if Sean and Boone keep it up we could strike gold in a situation that was getting to look rather bleak.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2006, 11:27 PM
KRS1:

Phil Rogers in his column today had this little item:

"The White Sox's string of left-handed candidates caused one scout to ask another if they handed out uniforms in the parking lot to anyone who is left-handed..."

Yikes! :o:

Any thoughts?

Lip

KRS1
03-19-2006, 11:37 PM
KRS1:

Phil Rogers in his column today had this little item:

"The White Sox's string of left-handed candidates caused one scout to ask another if they handed out uniforms in the parking lot to anyone who is left-handed..."

Yikes! :o:

Any thoughts?

Lip

I'm going to quote Phil from his BA chat, and leave it alone to let other judge his thoughts. Keep in mind I respect him, and like his articles that don't make profound thoughts on a players ability. Anyway here's the quote...

"Natalie, I'm not a scout, and probably couldn't even play one on television."

In other words he just see's what everyone else is saying about players, and IMO rarely puts his opinion on players out there before he see's someone else test these waters. It's not like it's just him doing this, but more a fault to a great majority of sports writers past and present. Rarely do we see a guy put his neck out there and go against the grain in these highly publicized "bad situations" and try to contradict. Anyone here can look at what's transpired in camp and write a dark-cloud article like this(ie, a rookie winning the LOOGY role means we must suck), I'd rather look at Boone Logan as any other player on the field juding him by what he does and how he goes about doing it. Yeah he's competing against guys we consider to be scrubs, or has beens, but his individual performance goes above comparing him the competition and sets him apart, which IMO means he earned the right to be judged seperately from the competition. I would rather see the guys like Reynoso, Tucker, and Malone as a good source of depth because that is my honest opinion from what Ive seen from them in person, and on TV.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2006, 01:30 PM
KRS 1:

Phil wasn't trying to judge the Sox relief players though, that's the issue. If I read the quote correctly he was quoting a major league scout.

That gives one pause for thought doesn't it?

Lip