PDA

View Full Version : Red Line to Sox games? Not so fast...

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
In the season ticket holder party thread, I mentioned that the Sox-35th stop will be out of service the weekend of March 25-26. Now we have a reason why...

As part of the current Red Line rehabilitation project, the Sox-35th station is being rebuilt. Included in this rebuild is work on the 33rd St. entrance and pedestrian bridge. During demolition work associated with the 33rd St. pedestrian bridge, it was discovered that the support steel is in really bad shape. So bad, in fact, that they are tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. This work is scheduled for the weekend of March 25-26 and that is why the station is closed. But it gets better...

It will take quite a long time to complete this work while still keeping the station operational. As such, this work will not be complete until the fall! This means that the 33rd St. entrance will be CLOSED for the ENTIRE 2006 season. A major bummer as I know of many people use that entrance to avoid the massive crowds that develop around the 35th St. entrance. With the increased crowds this year, it will only be more hectic. But it gets even better...

Work associated with elevator and escalator replacement is also behind schedule. This work (along with skylight replacement, electrical work, etc.) isn't expected to be complete until the middle of JUNE. This will even FURTHER compound crowding issues at the station.

Greater attendance + partially closed station + more people taking the Red Line due to the Dan Ryan construction = one ugly summer of getting to/from games.

ewokpelts
03-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Two Words: Green Line

As for me, I take the 35th Bus to the orange line.(I live on the southwest side)

Gene

WSox8404
03-17-2006, 07:54 PM
In all honesty, does this surprise anyone? We finally win the World Series after all of these years and are going to set a record for attendance, and this happens. The Dan Ryan now this. Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Jurr
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
What the hell are we going to do? I'm at a complete loss.
If anybody's got any decent ideas, I'm all ears.

thepaulbowski
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
What the hell are we going to do? I'm at a complete loss.
If anybody's got any decent ideas, I'm all ears.

The Green Line is only a few blocks over. Transfer to the Red Line at Roosevelt.

Jurr
03-17-2006, 08:19 PM
The Green Line is only a few blocks over. Transfer to the Red Line at Roosevelt.
Sweet. Just checked the maps. Yesssirr...we have a winner. Thanks, man!

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 08:23 PM
The Green Line works if you gets you where you need to go. I live just a hop, skip and a jump west of the 87th stop on the Red. Unfortunately, Green is not an option for me.

:(:

TheKittle
03-17-2006, 08:27 PM
In the season ticket holder party thread, I mentioned that the Sox-35th stop will be out of service the weekend of March 25-26. Now we have a reason why...

As part of the current Red Line rehabilitation project, the Sox-35th station is being rebuilt. Included in this rebuild is work on the 33rd St. entrance and pedestrian bridge. During demolition work associated with the 33rd St. pedestrian bridge, it was discovered that the support steel is in really bad shape. So bad, in fact, that they are tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. This work is scheduled for the weekend of March 25-26 and that is why the station is closed. But it gets better...

It will take quite a long time to complete this work while still keeping the station operational. As such, this work will not be complete until the fall! This means that the 33rd St. entrance will be CLOSED for the ENTIRE 2006 season. A major bummer as I know of many people use that entrance to avoid the massive crowds that develop around the 35th St. entrance. With the increased crowds this year, it will only be more hectic. But it gets even better...

Work associated with elevator and escalator replacement is also behind schedule. This work (along with skylight replacement, electrical work, etc.) isn't expected to be complete until the middle of JUNE. This will even FURTHER compound crowding issues at the station.

Greater attendance + partially closed station + more people taking the Red Line due to the Dan Ryan construction = one ugly summer of getting to/from games.

I don't live in Chicago but while it will be a major pain in the butt for fans, what would you rather have? An unsafe, falling apart train station or one season's worth of hassle??

I mean come on now, they fix up the station right and there won't be problems for a long long time. And after the White Sox win back to back World Series, the station will be in working order for the 2007 season!!!!

hsnterprize
03-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey...that green line has been a "secret" for me for quite some time. In fact, you'll see the new construction on 35th Street where the new housing is being built (right along the soon-to-be Metra Stop along the tracks next to the Dan Ryan). And for those of you who are travelling from Midway Airport, you can take the Orange Line to the 35th/Archer stop, and then take the 35th Street bus (#35), and get dropped off right behind home plate. Just make sure the bus is heading east towards Reese and Mercy Hospitals, and not westbound towards 36th and Kedzie.

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't live in Chicago but while it will be a major pain in the butt for fans, what would you rather have? An unsafe, falling apart train station or one season's worth of hassle??

I mean come on now, they fix up the station right and there won't be problems for a long long time. And after the White Sox win back to back World Series, the station will be in working order for the 2007 season!!!!

Oh, no doubt. I am in no way advocating that they should keep the entrance open if it is unsafe. I was commenting more on the extremely bad timing of it all.

ewokpelts
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey...that green line has been a "secret" for me for quite some time. In fact, you'll see the new construction on 35th Street where the new housing is being built (right along the soon-to-be Metra Stop along the tracks next to the Dan Ryan). And for those of you who are travelling from Midway Airport, you can take the Orange Line to the 35th/Archer stop, and then take the 35th Street bus (#35), and get dropped off right behind home plate. Just make sure the bus is heading east towards Reese and Mercy Hospitals, and not westbound towards 36th and Kedzie.
The 39th street bus is just as good. a whole lotta less traffic, but you just gotta walk an extra block or two.
Gene

ewokpelts
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM

The station did get rennovations on the 35th side back in 03.
The work being done has more to do with the dan ryan rebuild job than the state of the station. If you got the money, might as well spend it. The CTA is also rebuilding the rest of the ryan red line stops.

Gene

jake5824
03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
it sounds like the only time youll have trouble using the Sox-35 stop is that march 25-26. the rest of the time despite construction it will at least be running and stopping

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 09:20 PM
The station did get rennovations on the 35th side back in 03.
The work being done has more to do with the dan ryan rebuild job than the state of the station. If you got the money, might as well spend it. The CTA is also rebuilding the rest of the ryan red line stops.

Gene

The 2003 renovations were mostly cosmetic in nature (Sox mosaic in the floor, improved lighting, etc.) The work going on right now is much more in depth (new platform, new canopy, new escalators, etc.)

The timing with the Dan Ryan work is more of a coincidence. The CTA has been planning an upgrade to the Dan Ryan branch of the Red line for a while.

C-Dawg
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Included in this rebuild is work on the 33rd St. entrance and pedestrian bridge. During demolition work associated with the 33rd St. pedestrian bridge, it was discovered that the support steel is in really bad shape. So bad, in fact, that they are tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch. This work is scheduled for the weekend of March 25-26 and that is why the station is closed. But it gets better...

It will take quite a long time to complete this work while still keeping the station operational. As such, this work will not be complete until the fall! This means that the 33rd St. entrance will be CLOSED for the ENTIRE 2006 season.

The 33rd St. entrance has already been closed since June of 2005; I was hoping to be able to use it again this season. Oh, well, scratch that.

I'd love to be able to take the Green line all the way out to the Harlem end of the line in Oak Park, but have yet to find any parking there (its all 2-hour meters). I think its OK to park there on Sundays, but the other 6 days seem to be out. Unless anyone knows of some decent parking that won't result in a ticket or boot from the Oak Park P.D.?

ewokpelts
03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
The 33rd St. entrance has already been closed since June of 2005; I was hoping to be able to use it again this season. Oh, well, scratch that.

I'd love to be able to take the Green line all the way out to the Harlem end of the line in Oak Park, but have yet to find any parking there (its all 2-hour meters). I think its OK to park there on Sundays, but the other 6 days seem to be out. Unless anyone knows of some decent parking that won't result in a ticket or boot from the Oak Park P.D.?I think Oak Park has quite a few parking garages in the area to accomodate shoppers. I'd try contacting them if i were you.
www.oak-park.us (http://www.oak-park.us)

Gene

p.s. I just found a possible solution for you.
try this link:
http://www.oak-park.us/Public_Works/Parking_Passes.html

Beer Can Chicken
03-18-2006, 11:56 AM
The closing will not have a major affect on people's willingness or ability to take the Red Line.
I think this is a dark cloud thread.

kninchicago
03-18-2006, 01:28 PM
One thing you can do is take the 35th bus and transfer to another bus (Ashland/Western/Damen etc) that will take you north or south to your home. That is what I often do on really busy days. Sometimes it takes a smidge longer with the bus transfer, but to me it's worth it because it's so much quieter/less commotion and you can get a seat.

dcb56
03-18-2006, 04:32 PM

I'd love to be able to take the Green line all the way out to the Harlem end of the line in Oak Park, but have yet to find any parking there (its all 2-hour meters). I think its OK to park there on Sundays, but the other 6 days seem to be out. Unless anyone knows of some decent parking that won't result in a ticket or boot from the Oak Park P.D.?

On weekends there's unlimited free parking in a garage run by Oak Park north and east of Harlem and Lake (just past the Borders). For games during the week, head over about four blocks to the Oak Park stop. There's plenty of street parking in the resedential neighborhood southeast of the station and no restrictions in the evening, so that would be a great place to park for weeknight games.

itsnotrequired
03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I saw this idea on another message board and figure I'd post it here.

Since the CTA now needs to rebuild the entire 33rd St. entrance, it would be a great idea to rebuild the entire station south of 35th St. The platform could extend south all the way to 37th St. and there could be a secondary entrance at that location (build a pedestrian bridge over the southbound Dan Ryan). This arrangement would allow greater access to the station not only for fans using Gate 1 or 2 but also for those living in the homes just south of the stadium.

Granted, this would be an expensive proposition but rebuilding the 33rd St. entrance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. With the stadium on the south side of 35th St., the traffic just isn't there anymore. Sure, people still use it but on non-game days, it only gets a tenth of the traffic that the 35th St. entrance does.

Thoughts?

miker
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I saw this idea on another message board and figure I'd post it here.

Since the CTA now needs to rebuild the entire 33rd St. entrance, it would be a great idea to rebuild the entire station south of 35th St. The platform could extend south all the way to 37th St. and there could be a secondary entrance at that location (build a pedestrian bridge over the southbound Dan Ryan). This arrangement would allow greater access to the station not only for fans using Gate 1 or 2 but also for those living in the homes just south of the stadium.

Granted, this would be an expensive proposition but rebuilding the 33rd St. entrance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. With the stadium on the south side of 35th St., the traffic just isn't there anymore. Sure, people still use it but on non-game days, it only gets a tenth of the traffic that the 35th St. entrance does.

Thoughts?
Yes, the CTA has never been the greatest example of fiscal responsibility, but building a new station to the south of 35th would be much more expensive the rebuilding the current structure.

You know, if we are on our way to another Championship, I don't think any of us will really mind the delays.:D:

russ99
03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
it sounds like the only time youll have trouble using the Sox-35 stop is that march 25-26. the rest of the time despite construction it will at least be running and stopping

I'd like to believe that, but I was at the 35th street station a week ago, there's no way that second escalator is done on time for Opening Night. Plus half a platform isn't going to work for that size of a crowd.

Everyone coming from the loop really needs to use the Green Line. How I love the CTA. :(

woodenleg
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I'd like to believe that, but I was at the 35th street station a week ago, there's no way that second escalator is done on time for Opening Night. Plus half a platform isn't going to work for that size of a crowd.

Everyone coming from the loop really needs to use the Green Line. How I love the CTA. :(
With the development going on on the South Side, clear to Hyde Park, we may be seeing more stations south of Chinatown in the long run. I don't know how they'd accomplish that, but eventually they're going to have more than one station every ten blocks or so. That area is not a 'bedroom community' - when it's fully developed (and we've only seen the beginnings of that) they're going to need to be serviced much like the north side is.

All I know is that in twenty years, the entire south side along the lake and down to Hyde Park is going to be so different. It already is, if you've walked through there. It's only a matter of time before more bars and post-game hangouts spring up...probably not to the south and west, where they traditionally are, but to the east, serving the college community and the health care businesses down there as well as the Sox fans. The high-rises started being built in the south loop, and it looks like the developments are spreading down to McCormick and therabouts...only a matter of time, what with all of the vacant land around.

And not to sound lazy - I do take the Green Line after the games sometimes, stopping at IIT for a drink or something, but it is a bit of a hike from the stadium, especially if you live on the red line.

SoxFan76
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
So wait, from Union station I would usually take the Red Line on Adams(?)...whatever. the Closest el station to Union Station. Now I need to take the green line? Or take the RL and transfer to the GL?

woodenleg
03-28-2006, 02:00 AM
So wait, from Union station I would usually take the Red Line on Adams(?)...whatever. the Closest el station to Union Station. Now I need to take the green line? Or take the RL and transfer to the GL?

No, no - I think the Red Line and the 35th street stop will be working fine. I think heads would be rolling if it weren't. They're just doing some work on an escalator and an elevator, I take it.

No way would they shut the whole station down.

sox230
03-28-2006, 03:11 AM
Anybody think our good Cubs buddy Blagoyevich had something to do with this convienent construction of the Dan Ryan starting the day before the season where we are supposed set attendance records which will drastically reduce the walk-up? I do. P.S. When is the Ryan construction supposed to be done by?

SoxFan76
03-28-2006, 03:17 AM
No, no - I think the Red Line and the 35th street stop will be working fine. I think heads would be rolling if it weren't. They're just doing some work on an escalator and an elevator, I take it.

No way would they shut the whole station down.

Wow apparently I can't read? Or I just assumed the worst? We're taking the train on Sunday so I got kind of scared. haha

ilsox7
03-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Anybody think our good Cubs buddy Blagoyevich had something to do with this convienent construction of the Dan Ryan starting the day before the season where we are supposed set attendance records which will drastically reduce the walk-up? I do. P.S. When is the Ryan construction supposed to be done by?

Yea, cuz y'know these multi-million dollar, massive construction projects are all planned, bid on, and awarded in less than 6 months!

Stop the conspiracy crap.

russ99
03-28-2006, 09:14 AM

All Sox Red Line riders, just switch over to the green at Roosevelt. It's painless. (and faster - oops, I let out a secret)

itsnotrequired
03-28-2006, 09:17 AM
All Sox Red Line riders, just switch over to the green at Roosevelt. It's painless. (and faster - oops, I let out a secret)

This plan only works if it is convenient to do so. If someone is traveling to/from the 95th, 87th, 79th, etc. stations on the Red, the Green line isn't going to do anything for you.

If people are traveling from the north, the Green is certainly a great option.

kninchicago
03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Just go to the CTA's website, http://www.transitchicago.com look at the maps, and check out the buses that go near the Cell and then if any go near your home (provided you're within city limits). If you're coming in on Metra, then look where your Metra stop is rather than your home. It's that easy. There's lots of buses that go around the Cell if the Green Line isn't a good alternative.

Chip Z'nuff
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't understand why more wasn't done to prepare for the worst traffic jam in the history of America. Why aren't the metra stations ALREADY open at 35th? Why aren't park and ride lots open on the red line? Why isn't metra running trains later at night to care of folks wanting to get home from games? Why is our only alternates Ashland and Stony? Why is 294 STILL under construction? It was supposed to be done before they started the dan ryan. Why is the 1-57 Halsted entrance STILL closed? The sign said it would be closed until Nov 1. I am disgusted at the way us southsiders get treated when it comes to road and transit projects.

Hangar18
03-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't understand why more wasn't done to prepare for the worst traffic jam in the history of America. Why aren't the metra stations ALREADY open at 35th? Why aren't park and ride lots open on the red line? Why isn't metra running trains later at night to care of folks wanting to get home from games? Why is our only alternates Ashland and Stony? Why is 294 STILL under construction? It was supposed to be done before they started the dan ryan. Why is the 1-57 Halsted entrance STILL closed? The sign said it would be closed until Nov 1. I am disgusted at the way us southsiders get treated when it comes to road and transit projects.

Why is there 4 lanes outbound on 290 where traffic flows smoothly, only to inexplicably shrink to 3 lanes at Austin and of course Bottleneck all the traffic back to downtown, and then near Manheim, open back up to 4 lanes and of course, Traffic speeds back up again ...........

Chip Z'nuff
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Why is there 4 lanes outbound on 290 where traffic flows smoothly, only to inexplicably shrink to 3 lanes and of course Bottleneck all the traffic back to downtown, and then near Manheim, open back up to 4 lanes and of course, Traffic speeds back up again ...........

Hangar blame oak park for that one. They wan't give any land to widening the expressway and have started a multi year study into the feasabilty of burying the expressway under a canopy of parks. Don't expect that one to get better any time soon.

Jerko
03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Just go to the CTA's website, http://www.transitchicago.com look at the maps, and check out the buses that go near the Cell and then if any go near your home (provided you're within city limits). If you're coming in on Metra, then look where your Metra stop is rather than your home. It's that easy. There's lots of buses that go around the Cell if the Green Line isn't a good alternative.

It's a little out of the way, but if you take the ORANGE line to the Halsted station, you can catch the 44 Wallace bus right there and get dropped off at 35th street. It may take a little longer travel wise, but won't be nearly as crowded.

comet2k
03-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Has anyone used the 35th Street station this week or gone by it? When I went to the ball park Sunday, the 35th Street side of the station was covered in construction plastic.

If anyone uses the station before Sunday, can you describe what the conditions are? Thanks.

SoLongFrank
03-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Metra should come to the rescue. In one weekend they could build enough of a wooden platform to provide a temporary stop for the White Sox fans. They owe the World Series Champions that much. 88 yrs in the making for cripe's sake.

I think the WSox should address this & provide shuttle buses to & from the green line. That's close to a mile east of the stadium gates. The green line isn't bad for NW commuters with Lake Transfer being the transfer stop.

Of course none of that will happen & it's wishful thinking so if you're planning to go by green line get ready to walk.

itsnotrequired
03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Metra should come to the rescue. In one weekend they could build enough of a wooden platform to provide a temporary stop for the White Sox fans. They owe the World Series Champions that much. 88 yrs in the making for cripe's sake.

:rolleyes:

One weekend? Maybe if they made it out of popsicle sticks.

SoLongFrank
03-28-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.transitchicago.com There's lots of buses that go around the Cell if the Green Line isn't a good alternative.

That's true, but the problem with both the GL & the buses is that they don't run often enough. The CTA needs to change this. Who wants to be waiting 15 min between trains to get home on weekday games & weekend games?

Daley should say something about this. Not all of us get limo service to the ball park :mad:

SoxFan78
03-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I think the WSox should address this & provide shuttle buses to & from the green line. That's close to a mile east of the stadium gates. The green line isn't bad for NW commuters with Lake Transfer being the transfer stop.

Of course none of that will happen & it's wishful thinking so if you're planning to go by green line get ready to walk.

First of all, the green line isn't even close to a mile away...

I think providing shuttles from the green line stop to the park is a little extreme. Its literally 2-3 blocks away from each other. 10-15 minute walk at the most.

ilsox7
03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
First of all, the green line isn't even close to a mile away...

I think providing shuttles from the green line stop to the park is a little extreme. Its literally 2-3 blocks away from each other. 10-15 minute walk at the most.

Yea really. I think it takes me maybe an extra 5 minutes to walk from the Red Line Entrance to the Green Line entrance.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Daley should say something about this. Not all of us get limo service to the ball park :mad:

The CTA's main focus is to develop land and capital projects to be doled out by our local politicians, not provide basic public transportation.

kninchicago
03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
I've never had to wait longer for a train/bus after a game than any other time of day. Usually 10 minutes absolute maximum. With the exception of the Red Line, I've never had said bus/train be terribly crowded either. This year will be a different story it seems but is there a way to reasonably estimate how many more people will be using transit? I don't know.

Half Cocked Jack
03-28-2006, 08:59 PM
The biggest nightmare is going to be the rare day when there are Cubs and Sox games at the same time... :o:

comet2k
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
The biggest nightmare is going to be the rare day when there are Cubs and Sox games at the same time... :o:

I believe there are at least six of those. :tongue:

batmanZoSo
03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Why is there 4 lanes outbound on 290 where traffic flows smoothly, only to inexplicably shrink to 3 lanes at Austin and of course Bottleneck all the traffic back to downtown, and then near Manheim, open back up to 4 lanes and of course, Traffic speeds back up again ...........

I swear road workers will put up orange barrels and block off a lane just to **** with us. :rolleyes:

I don't even want to go into how much I hate the road system in the Chicago area. And once again, they've done a total piss-poor job accommodating the excess Sox fans and the resulting build-up from the Ryan construction.

itsnotrequired
03-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I believe there are at least six of those. :tongue:

Amazingly, there is only one more game. The Cubs play the Pirates the afternoon of Thursday, September 7 and the Sox play the Indians that evening.

mcg
03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I usually pick up the Blue Line at Rosemont and transfer to the Red Line but I think I'll try the Green Line this year. Thanks for the tip everyone.

FYI: The 35th/Bronzeville/IIT station is only about a 1/2 mile from Sox Park.