PDA

View Full Version : Jenks losing it?

palehozenychicty
03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Can't verify this because I haven't followed the ST boxscores as closely, but some scouts feel that Jenks is losing his fastball. He did look heavy when he reported, and many people here have said that he's thrown well. Thoughts, comments.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_4548769,00.html

Tekijawa
03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I wonder how many pitchers around the league have their 100mph fastball up and running yet? 10mph off a guy that throws a 94mph Fast ball is a lot... 10mph off a guy that has thrown a 101mph fast ball isn't nearly as bad...

Madvora
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm not paying a lot of attention to what I hear in spring training. Once the season starts and everything is for real, we'll see how these guys do.
Tek makes a good point above though.

spiffie
03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I saw this in Buster Olney's blog and didn't see any thread on this (apologies if its buried somewhere).

According to Tracy Ringolsby in the Rocky Mountain Times (a paper which has always been pretty decent to the Sox)...well he says:
Jenks has lost up to 10 mph off his fastball. Scouts say he doesn't look as free and easy in his throwing.

The article is here:http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_4548769,00.html

I guess my question is has anyone heard anything about this before? Is it normal for a pitcher to throw that much slower in Spring Training than they do in the regular season?

edit...ahhh crap, the dang thread was right there and I missed it. I blame NCAA tourney dementia.

Luke
03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
As well as a 101 MPH fastball not coming back overnight, pitchers sometimes hold back a little in ST. There's no reason to show everyone your best stuff in Tuscon, especially if you have the team made as Bobby does.

If there really is a problem in his delivery, i have enough confidence in Coop to help him fix it.

If he's hurt, I'm sure Kenny's on it looking for someone else.

Brian26
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I think Daver said awhile ago: Jenks is an injury waiting to happen.

pythons007
03-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Give it some time...Basically what everyone has said already, it takes time to become 100%.

samram
03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
I wonder how many pitchers around the league have their 100mph fastball up and running yet? 10mph off a guy that throws a 94mph Fast ball is a lot... 10mph off a guy that has thrown a 101mph fast ball isn't nearly as bad...

Remember Billy Koch? Textbook example of what happens when your 100 mph fastball becomes a 90mph fastball.

soxinem1
03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I've said this before, the BP is reminding me of the 1984 White Sox. That team had a great ST, but we all had concerns of the pen, especially the back end. And we are not going to have 40 CG's from the starters either this year, so they are going to have to be effective.

I know this guy had some personal stuff going on, but he just looks like he expects to show up and be the 'darling of the dance' again.

And with Bobby, as was the case with Koch, if he has no fastball, he's going to slide into oblivion........

bayzbol44
03-17-2006, 01:12 PM
The problem is if he is bad and gone, what happens? There is no BACK up for him.

spiffie
03-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Perhaps it is time for Ozzie to lean on Hugo Chavez and get Urbina a presidential pardon.

Should be a very light shade of teal for this thought actually.

Brian26
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I've said this before, the BP is reminding me of the 1984 White Sox. That team had a great ST, but we all had concerns of the pen, especially the back end.

Bad memories of Ron Reed coming back...

kevin57
03-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Remember Billy Koch? Textbook example of what happens when your 100 mph fastball becomes a 90mph fastball.

Exactly...and even more. Jenks was very good at 98+mph; he was bad at 95 mph. His margin for error is very small. That said, he may well be holding back right now.

FloridaSox
03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
The bullpen situation is starting to worry me big time.

1. The Jenks issue--his fastball and cutter have relatively little movement. They rely on speed. He has K'd 0 batters this spring.
2. The Hermanson issue--the guy is going to get buy on epidurals? 12 hits in 4 innings this spring.
3. The Politte issue--no complaints of injuries-but again 0 K's and 9.00 ERA.

What does that leave--Cotts, McCarthy and Boone Logan for a bullpen.

Kenny may not be worried, Herm may not be worried... I'm worried.

HomeFish
03-17-2006, 01:58 PM
The absolute worst part is that relief pitching is so expensive these days. Look how much Bullet Bob Howry and BJ Ryan (of the 42 career saves) made off with. With that kind of market, teams are going to demand a lot in exchange for a good reliever.

KW might be secretly worried about the bullpen, but he just might not have the resources to get it done.

Sox Surveyor
03-17-2006, 02:02 PM
As well as a 101 MPH fastball not coming back overnight, pitchers sometimes hold back a little in ST. There's no reason to show everyone your best stuff in Tuscon, especially if you have the team made as Bobby does.

If there really is a problem in his delivery, i have enough confidence in Coop to help him fix it.

If he's hurt, I'm sure Kenny's on it looking for someone else.

Yes, absolutely are guys will take care of the probelm IF it even exists. Don't take anything as truth if it has the rocky mountain high associated with it!

Tekijawa
03-17-2006, 02:03 PM

I think Billy topped out a high 80's towards the end... He also had 1 pitch, which was a fast ball. Last I checked Bobby has a nice Curve ball and I think a Slider...

DaleJRFan
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Hey, let's all panic!!!

Last ST, Jenks topped out at 92 in the games I watched. I for one, am not worried about it. He has two more weeks to get his **** together. If we have a Shingo part 2 (blowing saves left and right to start the season), then I will worry.

TDog
03-17-2006, 02:12 PM
The absolute worst part is that relief pitching is so expensive these days. Look how much Bullet Bob Howry and BJ Ryan (of the 42 career saves) made off with. With that kind of market, teams are going to demand a lot in exchange for a good reliever.

KW might be secretly worried about the bullpen, but he just might not have the resources to get it done.

Coupled with the cost of relief pitching is the unpredictability of a bullpen. Howry turned last season into a sweet contract, but he has had an up-and-down career from the pen. One of the problems the Yankees had at the beginning of last season was the money they had tied up in mediocre middle relief that came to the team looking lights out. Even some closers lose it, as Koch and Dotel have demonstrated. It only took one April game against Cleveland last year for Shingo to lose his luster.

I'm not worried about spring training. At the same time, the bullpen would be a concern for me even if everyone was looking good in their scattered innings.

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
And with Bobby, as was the case with Koch, if he has no fastball, he's going to slide into oblivion........

Jenks is gonna need more than that fastball in the American League the 2nd time around. The AL tends to make pitchers very honest ..........

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Jenks is gonna need more than that fastball in the American League the 2nd time around. The AL tends to make pitchers very honest ..........

His curve showed promise last season. If he can get that under control, he will fare much better.

KRS1
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
First off, Jenks has thrown as high as 94 this ST, last I checked 101-94=7. It is "the norm" to be around 90% stuff at this point, and Bobby is a little ahead of that curve. Watch any other pitcher out there, and tell me he is using the same velocity he normally does come April. It's not unusual at all to see this during ST, Pollite is throwing in the high 80's right now, the same as last year at about this time, and I fully expect him to build up velocity at a steady pace the same way he did then. Look for our bullpen guys to start adding velocity little by little, and to start throwing a little less than 100% effort by the end on ST. As I said in another thread, this is a time for them to start doing the little things, and doing things right, not concentrate on velocity. They would have to absolutely out of their minds to be hurling at full pace this early. Save your arm for the season, get the work done now in building it up so you can do it on a consistent basis all the way through October.

NSSoxFan
03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Ahhh, it's great to see WSI back to normal.

:darkclouds: :chickenlittle

DaleJRFan
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM
First off, Jenks has thrown as high as 94 this ST, last I checked 101-94=7. It is "the norm" to be around 90% stuff at this point, and Bobby is a little ahead of that curve. Watch any other pitcher out there, and tell me he is using the same velocity he normally does come April. It's not unusual at all to see this during ST, Pollite is throwing in the high 80's right now, the same as last year at about this time, and I fully expect him to build up velocity at a steady pace the same way he did then. Look for our bullpen guys to start adding velocity little by little, and to start throwing a little less than 100% effort by the end on ST. As I said in another thread, this is a time for them to start doing the little things, and doing things right, not concentrate on velocity. They would have to absolutely out of their minds to be hurling at full pace this early. Save your arm for the season, get the work done now in building it up so you can do it on a consistent basis all the way through October.

The other glaring issue with the whole "Jenks is done" argument is... how many times did Bobby consistantly throw his fastball at 101?? His median velocity was around 98-99. When he leaned back for a little extra he'd hit triple digits, but rarely did he exceed 100mph multiple consecutive pitches with his fastball.

So based on the logic of your post, he is actually not that far off from regular season form. He just needs to work on location and stop walking guys. :rolleyes:

Norberto7
03-17-2006, 02:41 PM

Billy Koch did not "slide" into oblivion. Billy Koch had a horrific, kicking, screaming, Tampa-Bay-Devil-Ray-cheering warpath to oblivion.

MillerSoxFan
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM

I love it when you quote Thucydides.

goofymsfan
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
People tend to make too big of a deal out of Spring Training Stats. People panic when the team loses games. They want pitchers out of the game because they are giving up runs. I was at the Sox/A's game in Phoenix and had some Sox fans behind me. They wanted the starting picture out of there right away. I tried to explain to them that the pitcher has to get his work in. They knew that but wanted to win the game. The Sox came back and tied the game and even took the lead before eventually losing the game. I personally, was just happy to see live baseball! Can't wait for opening day!!!

Spring Training is a time to work out the bugs and get geared up for the season. Things can become more of a concern towards the end of Spring Training, but even then it's not a big deal.

Spring Training=time for practice
Regular season=time to worry and fret :wink:

soxinem1
03-17-2006, 02:47 PM

You raise very good points, especially with with a guy who has had recent major arm surgery airing it out too soon, but I think two things are worrying people here:

1. The guy did nothing in the off season to prepare for this year. Again, personal issues notwithstanding, he could have lost about 15-20 lbs, not gained it. Remember, he's only a little over a year removed from TJ surgery. I'd love to see Jenks suceed and stick it up all of his badmouthers' ***, but he could have been a little more serious. And yes, these games are for preparation. But they said that about Koch too, and look what happened. And speaking of Koch, the guy we traded for to get him had the same worries in ST last year, when he was clocked at 84-86, and again, look what happened.

A guy like Jenks should be able to throw 94-95 with ease if his mechanics are decent, even in ST.

2. The depth chart for this bullpen is frighteningly thin. The last thing we need, ala many past seasons, is starters battling their behinds off only to have a BP come in and blow leads repeatedly. We've seen this before, way too often.

Remember, Politte and Hermanson had career years last year. They cannot be expected to come close again, just due to law of averages. And if this pen fails, so will the team.

I somehow keep having this thought of Cotts becoming a closer this year.......

Huisj
03-17-2006, 03:17 PM
You raise very good points, especially with with a guy who has had recent major arm surgery airing it out too soon, but I think two things are worrying people here:

1. The guy did nothing in the off season to prepare for this year. Again, personal issues notwithstanding, he could have lost about 15-20 lbs, not gained it. Remember, he's only a little over a year removed from TJ surgery. I'd love to see Jenks suceed and stick it up all of his badmouthers' ***, but he could have been a little more serious. And yes, these games are for preparation. But they said that about Koch too, and look what happened. And speaking of Koch, the guy we traded for to get him had the same worries in ST last year, when he was clocked at 84-86, and again, look what happened.

A guy like Jenks should be able to throw 94-95 with ease if his mechanics are decent, even in ST.

2. The depth chart for this bullpen is frighteningly thin. The last thing we need, ala many past seasons, is starters battling their behinds off only to have a BP come in and blow leads repeatedly. We've seen this before, way too often.

Remember, Politte and Hermanson had career years last year. They cannot be expected to come close again, just due to law of averages. And if this pen fails, so will the team.

I somehow keep having this thought of Cotts becoming a closer this year.......

I didn't know Jenks had had TJ surgery that recently? I thought he had had a stress fracture in his elbow and had a screw inserted into it a few years back, but I hadn't heard anything about Tommy John surgery.

Also, I'm not making sense out of what you said about the Koch trade. Are you talking about Foulke? I believe it that he was throwing that slow last year in spring training, and then he was awful last year. Is that the argument you're trying to make?

I agree that the bullpen depth is a bit of a concern right now.

Iwritecode
03-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Billy Koch did not "slide" into oblivion. Billy Koch had a horrific, kicking, screaming, Tampa-Bay-Devil-Ray-cheering warpath to oblivion.

Then he went to the Marlins and their fans were positive that their pitching coach could turn him around.

:roflmao:

Ol' No. 2
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM

:darkclouds: :chickenlittleAnd well ahead of schedule. Last year it took until August before people were ready to edge out onto the ledge. We're only halfway through spring training.:o:

MisterB
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM

1. The guy did nothing in the off season to prepare for this year.

Wrong.

But the White Sox's medical staff is working overtime to help Jenks transform the muscle he added this winter into more flexibility.

Jenks worked out over the winter, but the added muscle has stiffened up his delivery.

NSSoxFan
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
And well ahead of schedule. Last year it took until August before people were ready to edge out onto the ledge. We're only halfway through spring training.:o:

Not only that, those people that were ready to edge out onto the ledge were doing so because 'we didn't have killer instict'. For some reason, winning 2 out of 3 games each series is cause enough to panic!

:o:

Iwritecode
03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Jenks worked out over the winter, but the added muscle has stiffened up his delivery.

I thought I had read that somewhere. Everyone keeps saying that he gained weight since last season.

Muscle weighs more than fat...

Iguana775
03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Wrong.

He needs a hot yoga instructor to loosen him up. lol.

Hopefully there's a back up plan for the closer if Jenks can't get it done and Hermy is ailing.

Baby Fisk
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Not only that, those people that were ready to edge out onto the ledge were doing so because 'we didn't have killer instict'. For some reason, winning 2 out of 3 games each series is cause enough to panic!

:o:
The Black Jays traded their star 2Bman Orlando Hudson to AZ in the off-season. Aaron Hill was slated to take over at 2B. Today, Hill was hit in the hand by a pitch and could miss up to 4-6 weeks depending on the extent of the injury. Now the Jays are scrambling to fill a hole in their infield. THAT would be something to fret over.

kevin57
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
He needs a hot yoga instructor to loosen him up. lol.

Picturing Bobby doing yoga is... :kneeslap: .

miker
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, from this article I would say Bobby really doesn't care what the scouts or anyone else thinks: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/121sd1.htm

It is also nice to know that ESPN can hit new lows. :(:

ma-gaga
03-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Spring training is time to get everything up to speed. The Twins Joe Nathan usually ends up throwing mid to low 80's during spring training and even into mid April. By the middle of May he's up to his mid 90's.

It was absolutely freaky seeing this guy throwing slow. I'm guessing Jenks is the same way.

Jurr
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
As long as that screw holds up in his elbow, I think we'll be fine with Bobby.

samram
03-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I think Billy topped out a high 80's towards the end... He also had 1 pitch, which was a fast ball. Last I checked Bobby has a nice Curve ball and I think a Slider...

Well, for all we know, he's just holding back a bit. However, if there was something wrong, what makes Jenks' curveball so nasty is the change of velocity off the fastball. If the gap in velocity goes from 13 or so now to 8 or 9, it could be much less effective.

That said, he's probably just holding back for ST.

starboy0
03-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Was that the July 4th game? 2 or 3 run homer in the 9th?

SouthSide_HitMen
03-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Yes, absolutely are guys will take care of the probelm IF it even exists. Don't take anything as truth if it has the rocky mountain high associated with it!

If anyone knows about ****ty pitching, it is the Rocky Mountain High newspaper (covering the Rockies).

That said, I am not worrying about things yet. If Hermanson can give us 60 - 80 innings we should be in good shape. Jenk's should add some speed to his heater as the Spring progresses but he is and probably always will be an injury risk. Ozzie, Cooper and Art will need to keep an eye on him this season.

I still think Kenny picks up a guy or two on waivers or in a possible minor deal to get some average backend bullpen arms to close out the staff. I just hope Ozzie doesn't overwork the good pitchers (like Dusty did / does) but Ozzie knows the importance of keeping his pitchers in for the optimal time, not leaving the starters in more than 120 pitches and he is pretty good with the bullpen. We may blow a game or so per month due to a weak back end of the bullpen but most teams have several weak spots in the bullpen and I don't expect ours to be any worse than most other teams in baseball. We have the best 8 or 9 pitchers on the front end. :cool:

http://onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/314_con_john2.gif

And the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
You can talk to God and listen to the casual reply
Rocky mountain high

soxwon
03-17-2006, 09:49 PM
3 wins- terrible!!!!!
but everyone thinks dont worry.
i hope you all are right.

thomas35forever
03-17-2006, 09:59 PM
The guy did nothing in the off season to prepare for this year.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. We didn't hear much from him during the offseason. I wonder if there's something he doesn't want the public to know.

KRS1
03-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. We didn't hear much from him during the offseason. I wonder if there's something he doesn't want the public to know.

When do you ever hear much about a player in the off-season other than free agency, injury, or the occasional ESPN interview from their relaxing vacation. Honestly, Buehrle was hunting the majority of this off-season, anyone get monthly updates on how many bucks he got, or what type of bow or rifle he uses? Please, these threads go above and beyond hysteria. Now we have speculation of injury because our closer is only throwing in the low to mid-90's halfway through ST, putting on muscle that needs to be stretched out slower, AND we didnt get off-season reports on him(like 99% of the other players who arent FA's) that must mean there's something their not telling us.

delben91
03-17-2006, 10:30 PM
3 wins- terrible!!!!!
There goes the Cactus League title.

Honestly, the starting lineup sans Podsednik seems to be hitting their stride a bit more of late. They aren't all the way there, but improving.

The starting staff has been above any reasonable expectations for the Arizona air they're throwing in.

The bullpen has some rough spots. This I won't argue, but I really think between Mr. Fingernails, Politte, Cotts and Jenks that I won't be worrying all that much.

Let's get to April 2nd as healthy as is possible. Once the lights go on, then I'll worry about poor performances.

(Nice Haiku though)

Mr. Skin
03-17-2006, 10:34 PM

or so it was rumored...not a good comparison.

samram
03-17-2006, 10:41 PM
or so it was rumored...not a good comparison.

Why? The juice helped him throw harder, but the effect of a loss in velocity would be the same, whether the velocity was juice-induced or not.

Captian Ron
03-17-2006, 10:44 PM
:cleo Don't worry Bobby will be fine. I can see this in the
future.

soxwon
03-17-2006, 10:56 PM
There goes the Cactus League title.

Honestly, the starting lineup sans Podsednik seems to be hitting their stride a bit more of late. They aren't all the way there, but improving.

The starting staff has been above any reasonable expectations for the Arizona air they're throwing in.

The bullpen has some rough spots. This I won't argue, but I really think between Mr. Fingernails, Politte, Cotts and Jenks that I won't be worrying all that much.

Let's get to April 2nd as healthy as is possible. Once the lights go on, then I'll worry about poor performances.

(Nice Haiku though)

ok thanks for filling me in on the team.
i did see one hell of a team in florida.
the BLUE JAYS.
look out EAST.

Mr. Skin
03-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Why? The juice helped him throw harder, but the effect of a loss in velocity would be the same, whether the velocity was juice-induced or not.

...off your fastball in one year if you're NOT doing roids. Jenk's velocity will be fine when the season starts.

samram
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
...off your fastball in one year if you're NOT doing roids. Jenk's velocity will be fine when the season starts.
Which is what I said in later posts anyway.:rolleyes:

Brian26
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM

There are some losses that you just never forget. That is one of them, along with Denny Hocking in Minnesota and Lee Stevens in 1990.

ndu3t4
03-18-2006, 12:11 AM
3 wins- terrible!!!!!

You can't go by wins in spring training; especially with the way Ozzie runs things. Ozzie loves playing the minor leaguers, who are blowing a lot of these games. Besides, who remembers the last Cactus League Champion?

Mohoney
03-18-2006, 01:10 AM
I think Daver said awhile ago: Jenks is an injury waiting to happen.

But it didn't happen last October.

Everything else that the guy does in his career will pale in comparison, unless it leads to another title.

For me, that pitch to Jeff Bagwell will always ensure a soft spot in my heart for Bobby Jenks. That pitch was absolutely unhittable.

kitekrazy
03-18-2006, 01:41 AM

:darkclouds: :chickenlittle

:supernana::rolling:

dickallen15
03-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Wrong.

If the muscle he added has stiffened up his delivery and make him less effective, then he definitely did do nothing to help himself during the offseason. What he needed to do was eat a few salads and drink some water.

palehozenychicty
03-18-2006, 10:36 AM
If the muscle he added has stiffened up his delivery and make him less effective, then he definitely did do nothing to help himself during the offseason. What he needed to do was eat a few salads and drink some water.
True dat.

soxinem1
03-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Wrong.

Ozzie himself has said he's dissapointed in Jenks conditioning. Does he look like he's been working out? He should have lost 15-20 lbs if so, not gained.

And we quote the trib on what's going on with the Sox medically? Hmmm.

BTW, I made a misstatement, Jenks did not have TJ surgery, he has a permanent screw in his elbow to keep it from chipping. My goof...

MisterB
03-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Ozzie himself has said he's dissapointed in Jenks conditioning. Does he look like he's been working out? He should have lost 15-20 lbs if so, not gained.

And we quote the trib on what's going on with the Sox medically? Hmmm.

BTW, I made a misstatement, Jenks did not have TJ surgery, he has a permanent screw in his elbow to keep it from chipping. My goof...

I haven't seen Jenks, so I can't comment on whether he 'looks' like he worked out or not. The tone of your post came off as if you thought Jenks was sitting on his ass eating all offseason. The weight gain was from adding muscle. More than one media outlet has reported this, the Trib article was just the quickest one for me to find. But if you want to be added to Hangar's "everything-the-Trib-reports-is-Cubs-propoganda" Club, then fine. Bobby's offseason regimen was misguided, but it wasn't like he didn't give a ****.

ChiSoxLifer
03-18-2006, 05:33 PM
In case anyone was wondering, Jenks hit 96 against the cubs today.

esbrechtel
03-18-2006, 05:34 PM
yeah i saw that...he pitched well, im not too worried

Jurr
03-18-2006, 06:19 PM
You can't go by wins in spring training; especially with the way Ozzie runs things. Ozzie loves playing the minor leaguers, who are blowing a lot of these games. Besides, who remembers the last Cactus League Champion?
True true. The bad teams have more open competition at positions other than backup left handed reliever. Those guys play more.

It's nice to see our team with the luxury of working the youngsters out.

KRS1
03-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Here's an article on whitesox.com that basically discredits this report entirely. Jenks had this to say in direct response to the article....

"I'm not sure where that claim came from because I was at 95 to 97 [mph] during my first outing out," said Jenks with a smile. "My arm feels great. I'm starting to play much more long toss, and it's starting to build up a little more.
"Other than that, I don't know what to say to that one," added Jenks of the published report. "It's not even close."

The best part is in the sixth paragraph.

"After the win, manager Ozzie Guillen made it clear that while Jenks is his closer, he wants him to stay hungry and continue working hard."

Well Ozzie, I dont think youll have to worry about that one.:tongue:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060318&content_id=1354491&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws