PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign Sager

Vsahajpal
01-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Personally, I'd have given the money to Zeringue, but...

White Sox Take Chance On Sager
By John Manuel
January 14, 2002

It only took two bullpen sessions in the dead of Arizona's winter to convince the Chicago White Sox to take a chance on Brian Sager.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound righthander, twice destined to be a first-round pick, was a 13th-round pick in the 2001 draft after an injury-plagued season at Georgia Tech. Negotiations went nowhere until Sager had surgery Oct. 1 to repair a decompression of the radial nerve in his pitching arm.

After two months of rehab, Sager impressed the White Sox enough in a pair of 40-pitch bullpen sessions to sign his first pro contract. He was scheduled to fly to Chicago Monday to take his physical and, if he passes, will receive a $385,000 bonus.

That's more than 13th-round money certainly, but Sager turned down predraft offers of $1 million out of Branford (Conn.) High in 1998. Sager then embarked on a three-year college career that included plenty of highs--12-1 in two years at Stanford and two College World Series starts--and a year full of lows after he transferred to Georgia Tech.

"If you look at it and think $385,000 isn't close to a million dollars, you'll drive yourself crazy," Sager said from his family's home in Connecticut, the night before he flew to Chicago. "But going to college really, really helped me. You can't put a value on those years.

"It's three years experiencing life away from home, taking care of yourself and dealing with adversity, dealing with coaches and scouts and agents. It's really helped me mature."

Sager's adversity started at Stanford, where says he didn't mesh with pitching coach Tom Kunes as a sophomore. He moved on to Georgia Tech, where nothing went right. What he had considered normal stiffness in his forearm became constant pain, and he wasn't much help to the Yellow Jackets, who had a lost year as a preseason No. 1 team that finished out of the final Top 25.

After the draft, Sager was diagnosed with the nerve problem, similar to one experienced by Brewers righthander Jeff D'Amico

duke of dorwood
01-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Part of our new efficiency system. Sign them with arm trouble already and avoid last year's disaster

Foulke You
01-14-2002, 01:37 PM
It can't hurt and the Sox have had some recent sucess in molding young pitchers. Who knows? Did anyone ever think Keith Foulke would become a 40 saves year closer when the white flag went down? Sometimes you roll the dice and it comes up 7 or 11.

delben91
01-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Personally, I'd have given the money to Zeringue, but...

Ah, yes, but see, that would be the intelligent thing to do, and, well, we just can't have that can we?

:KW

"No, no fun in that at all delben"

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 04:15 PM
That's nto fair, Sager came relatively cheap and Zeringue wanted to go to college unless he got early first round money.

Jerry_Manuel
01-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Kermit, what's your thoughts on Sager? Does he have a chance to be good in the majors?

Vsahajpal
01-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Kermit, what's your thoughts on Sager? Does he have a chance to be good in the majors?

BA's report

Last spring, then-Stanford RHP Brian Sager looked like he'd be an early first-round pick in 2001. Then he got bombed in the Cape Cod League, transferred to Georgia Tech, pitched poorly for the Yellow Jackets and missed the bulk of the year with stiffness in his arm. His size (6-foot-5, 225 pounds) remains appealing, and his fastball and slider are big league pitches when he's healthy. But that has been rare the last two years, as he also had shoulder problems last year at Stanford. A 13th-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 1998, he turned down a $1 million signing bonus to go to college . . . Sager still should be one of several Georgia Tech players selected

Kermit, I'm saying in my opinion, they should've offered Zeringue more money. The Sox could use another top notch catching prospect and Zeringue fits the bill.

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I have no idea what to expect considering he's coming off of this surgery. Jeff D'Amico was pretty much ruined by the same surgery. Between that and his lack of appearances in college I'd say it's doubtful we'll see him in the major leagues but hey he's another power arm if he's healthy so he does have a shot.