PDA

View Full Version : Lackadaisical Cub Fan Moment 3/17/06

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Out watching NCAA basketball .........guy comes up a few times to order himself beer, I note hes wearing a blue hat with the red C on it, signifying he probably likes the team from the north side.
After his 9th order, he remarked on my bracelet (WS CHampions) and thought it looked kind of cool. I asked what he thought of The Messiah
and did he think hes really hurt. He asked who the Messiah was, I said Mark Prior, he said OH, wondering where I was going with that , I mentioned I called himthat because the Media thought he was the saviour with perfect mechanics. He had alot of interesting questions to ask about the SOX, Ozzie, Buehrle and Vazquez and of course Attendance.
I told him for sure both teams will draw 6 mill between them a first in Chicago.

He agreed and said the SOX were exciting last year, but that this is going to be a very "special year" this year in Chicago. I said what do you mean very special? He said the Red Sox in 04, the White Sox in 05, certainly means its their turn in 06. I said the SOX won with talent, not by some decree handed down by higher authority ......... but he really believed it. I asked how, he again mentioned Boston in 04, White Sox in 05. I just shook my head and wished him luck.

ewokpelts
03-17-2006, 10:23 AM
only you henry...only you......

Railsplitter
03-17-2006, 10:23 AM
He agreed and said the SOX were exciting last year, but that this is going to be a very "special year" this year in Chicago. I said what do you mean very special? He said the Red Sox in 04, the White Sox in 05, certainly means its their turn in 06. I said the SOX won with talent, not by some decree handed down by higher authority ......... but he really believed it. I asked how, he again mentioned Boston in 04, White Sox in 05. I just shook my head and wished him luck.

Nurprise as far as I'm concerned. Even before the Sox won Game 4, I was expecting Schlub fans to be saying "Now it's our turn."

Jerko
03-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Nurprise as far as I'm concerned. Even before the Sox won Game 4, I was expecting Schlub fans to be saying "Now it's our turn."

Don't they know that since they have been waiting the longest, that 2003 was "their turn"?? Luckily, the baseball gods would have none of it and stuck Bartman in the stands so the Cubs could have another Billy(scape)goat story to lament over for another 100 years.

infohawk
03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
The perfect response is that the Cubs already had their chance and blew it. In the grand scheme of things, the Cubs were supposed to win in 2003, the Red Sox in 2004 and the White Sox in 2005. This was preordained in heaven. Well, the Red Sox and White Sox lived up to their end of the bargain, but the Cubs somehow managed to blow it during that fateful inning where they let the Marlins put up an eight-spot and then blew leads in the final game of the series. Heaven is now officially done with the Chicago Cubs.

CaptainBallz
03-17-2006, 11:02 AM
The perfect response is that the Cubs already had their chance and blew it. In the grand scheme of things, the Cubs were supposed to win in 2003, the Red Sox in 2004 and the White Sox in 2005. This was preordained in heaven. Well, the Red Sox and White Sox lived up to their end of the bargain, but the Cubs somehow managed to blow it during that fateful inning where they let the Marlins put up an eight-spot and then blew leads in the final game of the series. Heaven is now officially done with the Chicago Cubs.

Yeah, if anybody can piss off heaven, it's the Cubs. It makes sense since the Tribune is satan spawn.

Iwritecode
03-17-2006, 11:04 AM

That's backwards. The Cubs were/are the longest, the Sox second longest and the Red Sox third longest. So technically they are "next in line".

If the Cubs had won it in 2003, the Sox should've won it in 2004 and the Red Sox last year...

SOecks
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I just can't stand the sense of entitlement they have, and statements like "it's our turn this year" just proves it. They think that they deserve to have a championship just because they're the Cubs. Oh well.

palehozenychicty
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Don't they know that since they have been waiting the longest, that 2003 was "their turn"?? Luckily, the baseball gods would have none of it and stuck Bartman in the stands so the Cubs could have another Billy(scape)goat story to lament over for another 100 years.

In my mind, the Yankees would've beaten them anyway. :D:

LuvSox
03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Suspicion confirmed: Cub fans aren't getting any smarter.

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I just can't stand the sense of entitlement they have, and statements like "it's our turn this year" just proves it. They think that they deserve to have a championship just because they're the Cubs. Oh well.

Thats what I mean ...... this guy was fairly clueless and "believes" that because the SOX and Boston won, that it must mean its their "turn", as if orders were handed down. I tried to explain it had nothing to do with that........... but he thinks this is going to be "a special year in chicago"
despite the special year was last year 2005

CaptainBallz
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Suspicion confirmed: Cub fans aren't getting any smarter.

No, they're not. And since the Sox accomplished what they did last year, cubs fans are now completely lost at sea.
It's only a matter of time before the Trib gets in cahoots w/ Selig to develop a baseball version of The Harlem Globetrotters that routinely dazzles an audience with baseball hijinks while whooping up on the hapless Cubs. Fun for the whole family.

Iwritecode
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Thats what I mean ...... this guy was fairly clueless and "believes" that because the SOX and Boston won, that it must mean its their "turn", as if orders were handed down. I tried to explain it had nothing to do with that........... but he thinks this is going to be "a special year in chicago"
despite the special year was last year 2005

Of course it will be a special year. It'll be the first time Chicago has had a repeat WS champion since 1908. :D:

Deep pink?

Madvora
03-17-2006, 11:40 AM
It's only a matter of time before the Trib gets in cahoots w/ Selig to develop a baseball version of The Harlem Globetrotters that routinely dazzles an audience with baseball hijincks while whooping up on the hapless Cubs. Fun for the whole family.
So that's what Sammy was doing with the corked bat and his pregame fan entertainment?!

Railsplitter
03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Of course it will be a special year. It'll be the first time Chicago has had a repeat WS champion since 1908. :D:

Deep pink?

No, regular black font is okay.

DumpJerry
03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Henry, you bring out the best in people.

If there were "turns" at the World Series, then there are about 5 or 7 teams who should have been there already since they have never been there. Rangers, Mariners, etc......

You get there because you earn it, not because you're next in line. The Red Sox earned it in '04, we earned it last year.

Rooney4Prez56
03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Their year, huh?

Wood and Prior won't be ready for Opening Day.
D.Lee has shoulder tightness.
Their best offseason move was getting Juan Pierre.

They're off to a great start.

White Sox Randy
03-17-2006, 01:43 PM
The flubs fan is right! This will be a special year.

It's gonna be great when the flubs season goes down the tubes in June and they all realize that THIS IS NOT THEIR SEASON / TURN !

We can all laugh again when the Sox make the playoffs. Then, there will be no more talk about "IT" being ordained that it is the flubs turn.

Flubs will just have to live with the fact that no team sucks like the flubs.

soxinem1
03-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Out watching NCAA basketball .........guy comes up a few times to order himself beer, I note hes wearing a blue hat with the red C on it, signifying he probably likes the team from the north side.
After his 9th order, he remarked on my bracelet (WS CHampions) and thought it looked kind of cool. I asked what he thought of The Messiah
and did he think hes really hurt. He asked who the Messiah was, I said Mark Prior, he said OH, wondering where I was going with that , I mentioned I called himthat because the Media thought he was the saviour with perfect mechanics. He had alot of interesting questions to ask about the SOX, Ozzie, Buehrle and Vazquez and of course Attendance.
I told him for sure both teams will draw 6 mill between them a first in Chicago.

He should have been reminded that the 2004 BoSox and the 2005ChiSox made moves to fortify their respective teams, not just sitting there (except for Pierre, that was a decent move) and doing nothing nothing substantial to make the team better, instead they are just plugging holes.

But if they think they will just be able to sit there and wait for some fate-sent curse to be lifted because 'it's their turn', let 'em. They'll be sitting there a long, long, time.

I still say the Brewers and Bucs are ahead of the cubs in the NLC.

So as they like to say, 'Wait 'till next..................'

Hawkeroo1980
03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
He should have been reminded that the 2004 BoSox and the 2005ChiSox made moves to fortify their respective teams, not just sitting there (except for Pierre, that was a decent move) and doing nothing nothing substantial to make the team better, instead they are just plugging holes.

But if they think they will just be able to sit there and wait for some fate-sent curse to be lifted because 'it's their turn', let 'em. They'll be sitting there a long, long, time.

I still say the Brewers and Bucs are ahead of the cubs in the NLC.

So as they like to say, 'Wait 'till next..................'

Brewers yes....bucs---no.

St.Louis
Houston
Brew Crew
Flubs
Cincy
Bucos

DaleJRFan
03-17-2006, 03:10 PM
He said the Red Sox in 04, the White Sox in 05, certainly means its their turn in 06. I said the SOX won with talent, not by some decree handed down by higher authority ......... but he really believed it. I asked how, he again mentioned Boston in 04, White Sox in 05. I just shook my head and wished him luck.

Ya know, at risk of being labelled "Flubsessed" I have to say, I am really growing tired of Cub-fans entirely bull**** sense of entitlement. No, its not "your turn". You had your turn in 2003 and blew it. Your turn is up, it's our town now.

pythons007
03-17-2006, 03:31 PM
The Cubs will never again have a "turn". The Cubs didn't do anything to improve their team. Their 1 & 2 are again injuried, making the team call up a minor leaguer to start and have Rusch fill in(who should be in the BP). They have a rookie in left and Jones who can't hit lefties and strikesout a ****load. They have another "rookie" at SS. I mean come on, how do they expect to compete in their league with 5-6 holes on the team, let alone to win it all?!?!:?:

I don't get what the Cubs fans really see in their team. But again we are dealing with the dumbest fan base on the face of the planet!

TheDarkGundam
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
"Lackadaisical Cub Fan Moment"?
Excellent title Hangar. This thread has been here a few hours and the mods still haven't seen through your clever ruse. :wink:
Though, what's the difference between a "stupid" moment and a "Lackadaisical" moment?

CaptainBallz
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
The Cubs will never again have a "turn". The Cubs didn't do anything to improve their team. Their 1 & 2 are again injuried, making the team call up a minor leaguer to start and have Rusch fill in(who should be in the BP). They have a rookie in left and Jones who can't hit lefties and strikesout a ****load. They have another "rookie" at SS. I mean come on, how do they expect to compete in their league with 5-6 holes on the team, let alone to win it all?!?!:?:

I don't get what the Cubs fans really see in their team. But again we are dealing with the dumbest fan base on the face of the planet!

For some reason I feel the need to be the voice for my one "not-completely-retarded" Cubs fan friend. So, in his defense, when i asked what he thought of the Prior debacle he called it "typical Cubs ****" and stressed the fact that every season starts the exact same way. He went on to note that he expects nothing from them this year.

I feel bad for him because he can't help being a fan, but realizes what complete bull**** Cubdom is. It's like he hates his wife, but doesn't believe in divorce.

Quite the pickle.

chuckn98229
03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I note hes wearing a blue hat with the red C on it

It is also known as The Mark of Ignorance.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Are you saying no White Sox fan ever said at the beginning of a season "Alright this is our year! I can feel it!"

And from now on I'm never reading a Hangar "Cub Fan Moment" thread. I can't take it.

Phil A. Show
03-17-2006, 06:12 PM
For some reason I feel the need to be the voice for my one "not-completely-retarded" Cubs fan friend. So, in his defense, when i asked what he thought of the Prior debacle he called it "typical Cubs ****" and stressed the fact that every season starts the exact same way. He went on to note that he expects nothing from them this year.

I feel bad for him because he can't help being a fan, but realizes what complete bull**** Cubdom is. It's like he hates his wife, but doesn't believe in divorce.

Quite the pickle.

Maybe you have to wait until 9 drinks before he says something completely stupid.

DaleJRFan
03-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Are you saying no White Sox fan ever said at the beginning of a season "Alright this is our year! I can feel it!"

I've said that a million times, yes... and not because I think "baseball owes the franchise" but because I think the team is good and can win. That's the difference. Sox fans demand good baseball. Cubs fans put up with bad baseball and start each season with delusions of grandeur. "It's been 100 years for us, so move over all you teams that work hard, draft and develop talent, assemble qualified coaching staffs, make team improving aquisitions, build team chemistry... we deserve it because we've sucked the longest."

[ insert blowing-chucks guy here ]

And for the record, I like Hangar's flubsessed threads. They're amusing.

C-Dawg
03-17-2006, 11:30 PM
It's gonna be great when the flubs season goes down the tubes in June and they all realize that THIS IS NOT THEIR SEASON / TURN !

This just isn't their century either!

Lip Man 1
03-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if Hangar ever works and where does he get all this money.....

Hmmmmm.....

Me thinks I need to 'consult' the Raelian message!

LOL :D:

Lip

spiffie
03-18-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if Hangar ever works and where does he get all this money.....

Hmmmmm.....

Me thinks I need to 'consult' the Raelian message!

LOL :D:

Lip
He's giving people a discount...he only charges a $5 "donation to charity" to pose with the Trophy. The charity is, of course, Hangar Inc.

StillMissOzzie
03-18-2006, 01:30 AM

If MLB believed in "taking turns", we wouldn't have any of this in recent history:
Twins winning two WS titles in a 4 year stretch
Marlins winning two WS titles in their stretch of 5(?) years apart
Blue Jays winning back to back

Sorry, Scrubbies and their pathetic fans, there are NO "turns"! :whiner:

SMO
:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
03-18-2006, 09:16 AM
They think that they deserve to have a championship just because they're the Cubs.

Kinda like that pinstriped team from Noo Yawk.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The difference is,the Yankmees have won 26 WS in
39 tries,and now Steinbrenner is bitching because they
haven't won a WS since 2000.

Hey George,try waiting 88 friggin' years between
championships and see how you feel!!:angry: :angry:

SOXintheBURGH
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
When I was living in Illinois during the end of the season and the playoffs I spoke to Cub fans on a daily basis, too. :rolleyes:

Layla
03-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Did anyone else happen to see the Rick Telander article either this week or last week about the 2003 Cubs?

It really was interesting. It basically said what some other posters here said - that 2003 was their year. Obviously game 6 was the deciding factor. But not because of Steve Bartman, but because the Cubs let the situation take over.

The reason I found this interesting was this: Boston was down by three games, and yet came back. We had our own bad time, when everyone had to regroup and focus. These two teams did what they had to do instead of letting circumstances dictate.

Just my two cents.:D:

EastCoastSoxFan
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Did anyone else happen to see the Rick Telander article either this week or last week about the 2003 Cubs?

It really was interesting. It basically said what some other posters here said - that 2003 was their year. Obviously game 6 was the deciding factor. But not because of Steve Bartman, but because the Cubs let the situation take over.

The reason I found this interesting was this: Boston was down by three games, and yet came back. We had our own bad time, when everyone had to regroup and focus. These two teams did what they had to do instead of letting circumstances dictate.

Exactly.
If Wells hadn't hung that curve to Iguchi, Tony Graffanino's error would have been nothing more than an uninteresting footnote.
If Escobar hadn't hung that splitter to Joe Crede, the dropped third strike would have been nothing more than another uninteresting footnote.
On the other hand, because Mark Buehrle induced a popup from Adam Everett, Juan Uribe's error earlier that inning IS nothing more than an uninteresting footnote...

Dan H
03-20-2006, 08:16 PM

This is very true. The Cubs decided to self-destuct for some reason. They had the lead, their best pitcher on the mound and they let Bartman get to them. Like a fan has never caught a foul ball in the stands? It was almost like they didn't want to win.

Championship teams have two things going for them: The talent and the simple knowledge of knowing how to win. The Cubs don't know how to win, and their best talent is always hurt. I agree that '03 was the Cubs year. But they blew it, and it's been all downhill since. Let the Cubs win their attendance championship. It's the only thing they will ever win.

SoxSpeed22
03-20-2006, 08:25 PM

Just my two cents.:D:Hence, seperating the champs from the chumps. :thumbsup:

TommyJohn
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Exactly.
If Wells hadn't hung that curve to Iguchi, Tony Graffanino's error would have been nothing more than an uninteresting footnote.
If Escobar hadn't hung that splitter to Joe Crede, the dropped third strike would have been nothing more than another uninteresting footnote.
On the other hand, because Mark Buehrle induced a popup from Adam Everett, Juan Uribe's error earlier that inning IS nothing more than an uninteresting footnote...

There were two moments in the 2005 World Series that could've turned the
tide completely in Houston's favor. The first was the top of the 9th in Game
2, when Houston tied the game with two outs on a basehit and a bad throw
from Scott Podsednik. Had Houston rallied to win that game, it might have
affected the rest of the series. Scott P.'s home run in the 9th settled matters
and rendered the point moot.

The second play was Uribe's error in the 14th of Game 3. That was a
routine grounder for what would've been the last out of the game.
It brought the winning run to the plate. If Adam Everett hits a 3 run
homer, again it might've been a different series; but as stated above,
he popped out to end it, so it didn't matter and the error is a footnote
that will be lost in World Series history. Good teams rise to
the occasion, make things happen and find a way to win. If a team
comes undone on one play, or that one play leads to a big inning
(Iguchi's home run, the Marlins 8 run rally) then it is simply a case of
the better team getting a break and taking advantage. Luck is the
residue of design, as Branch Rickey once said. It surely is something that
the psychotic Buckner and Bartman haters should keep in mind.

SoxFan76
03-20-2006, 09:41 PM
This is very true. The Cubs decided to self-destuct for some reason. They had the lead, their best pitcher on the mound and they let Bartman get to them. Like a fan has never caught a foul ball in the stands? It was almost like they didn't want to win.

Championship teams have two things going for them: The talent and the simple knowledge of knowing how to win. The Cubs don't know how to win, and their best talent is always hurt. I agree that '03 was the Cubs year. But they blew it, and it's been all downhill since. Let the Cubs win their attendance championship. It's the only thing they will ever win.

03 wasn't the Cub's year. They lost. They weren't good enough. And they had an amazing TWO more wins than the White Sox that year.

I'm tired of hearing that 03 was "their year". They BLEW IT!

AuroraSoxFan
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Just read your thread. Sounds like you encountered a dude that was dropped on his head a few times too many. I work with a lot of similar neandrethals who can barely tell up from down. According to them we "lucked out" last year. Trying to explain to them that it's not possible to be in 1st for 162 games and then storm 11-1 through the playoffs on luck is a lost cause. Best bet is to laugh at morons like that and tell them to talk to you when their team can finish ahead of the Brewers.

Domeshot17
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Its funny because I too had an interesting encounter on st pattys day (which was my 21st birthday). At one of the many drink stops of the night, my buddies had the waitresses sing happy birthday to me. The table next to me was also some guy in a cubs hat birthday so they combined us. We had put down a few pitchers of green miller when the guy made some comment about my green sox hat. He then proceeded to ask the waitress if she could make him a green mikes hard lemonaid. I think the funny moment came when after he ordered it I looked at the 8 or 9 girls with us and everyone of them who wasnt drinking beer ( probably 7 of them) all had a mikes.