PDA

View Full Version : More Steroid talk, Turk Wendell Herald article.

Jaffar
03-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Link the article (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=167877)

Referring to Sosa
“Everybody in Chicago knew what was going on, just like everybody in baseball knows about Bonds,’’ said Wendell, who retired a year ago after battling arm and elbow injuries. “The coaches knew. So did the managers and owners. How could they not know?

Clembasbal
03-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Good read, but stuff I already knew.

The best is at the end,

Turk Wendell on facing hitters the last few years of his career: “They’re corking their bats and on steroids and amphetamines, and I’m hyped up on adrenaline trying to get superman out. The odds are stacked against you before you set foot on the mound.’’

Turk you couldn't get them out because you sucked.

pythons007
03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Basically the same story but from a different perspective. I think its true as far as pitchers are going up against "superman". I really don't know how steroids would help a pitcher out anyways? I think it would just increase the chance of an injury to your ligaments and/or tendens.

Has their been any pitchers that have tested positive for steroids????:?:

PKalltheway
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Has their been any pitchers that have tested positive for steroids????
Ryan Franklin of the Seattle Mariners got caught last year and served a 10 day suspension.

monkeypants
03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2372546

As if any of this should be a surprise to us.

Please delete or merge. Didn't see other thread.

spiffie
03-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Ryan Franklin of the Seattle Mariners got caught last year and served a 10 day suspension.
Rincon from the Twins also got hit.

It would help a pitcher by shortening their recovery time. For a reliever who makes 70-80 appearances a year that could be an enormous benefit.

palehozenychicty
03-17-2006, 12:28 PM
wow. i guess that he can do more than jump over the third base foul line.

ChiSoxRowand
03-17-2006, 01:20 PM

It would help a pitcher by shortening their recovery time. For a reliever who makes 70-80 appearances a year that could be an enormous benefit.

Did Rincon ever serve his suspension? I thought he was still appealing it. Betancourt from Cleveland also tested positive.

SOXPHILE
03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
There's also been more than a few rumors about a certain closer on the L.A. Dodgers as well....

MM2112
03-17-2006, 01:42 PM
it's about time someone notices that this guy should be lumped in with the Bonds, Giambis and McGwires...I'm surprised the media would follow this since they love that "Sammy smile and hop"

Notice how other Dominican players and citizens are embracing Big Papi as the their superstar? I recall reading that last year during the All Star Game, Tejada said that Ortiz was, "The true Dominican Home Run King"...hilarious

downstairs
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I really don't know how steroids would help a pitcher out anyways? I think it would just increase the chance of an injury to your ligaments and/or tendens.

If you ever watch any documentary on steroids... many users take them mostly because of the injury recovery time, and the ability to build a few muscles quicker and with less "work."

Pitchers use muscles too, and need to recover from injury and the strain on those muscles.

Steroids are not *just* for bulking up like a Bonds or Sosa to hit towering home runs.

TDog
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
There's also been more than a few rumors about a certain closer on the L.A. Dodgers as well....

And, of course, people laughed off rumors of steroid use by a certain Messiah in the Cubs rotation.

jdm2662
03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Did Rincon ever serve his suspension? I thought he was still appealing it. Betancourt from Cleveland also tested positive.

If I remember correctly, he did serve it.

Ol' No. 2
03-17-2006, 03:56 PM
And, of course, people laughed off rumors of steroid use by a certain Messiah in the Cubs rotation.This is what sucks about the whole situation. There's not a reason in the world to suspect Prior, yet people will suspect any player who gets hurt or who has an above average year or a below average year. That includes pretty much everybody. If I were a player who's clean, I'd be pissed as hell.

spiffie
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This is what sucks about the whole situation. There's not a reason in the world to suspect Prior, yet people will suspect any player who gets hurt or who has an above average year or a below average year. That includes pretty much everybody. If I were a player who's clean, I'd be pissed as hell.
Maybe if a few clean players had gotten pissed as hell in the 90's, instead of leaving Big Frank pretty much hung out to dry and looking like someone who was just pissed that everyone was hitting more than him, maybe we would have had some testing before then.

Ol' No. 2
03-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Maybe if a few clean players had gotten pissed as hell in the 90's, instead of leaving Big Frank pretty much hung out to dry and looking like someone who was just pissed that everyone was hitting more than him, maybe we would have had some testing before then.This, IMO, is the problem with the MLBPA - it's run for the benefit of the superstars, not the average player. This goes beyond drug testing. While the MEAN salary has continued to climb, the MEDIAN has remained flat and even gone down in some years. The superstars are cashing in bigger than ever, but the average player's wishes are pretty much ignored. There's going to be a revolt one day.

Yeah, I know...:hijacked:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Wow. Somebody who was a member of the Chicago Cubs, with full access to everything inside the clubhouse, has stepped forward and fingered Scammin' Shammy Soso as a juicer. This alone makes the news noteworthy.

Why is Turk Wendell the only one being asked to comment? Why is Barry Rozner of the Daily Herald the one asking the questions?

Where is Phil Rogers on this subject? Or Mike Downey? Or Rick Morrissey? Or Dan McGrath?

Is anybody at the Cubune taking time out from making Flintstone vitamin jokes to ask these questions? Can they do a full-page spread on something besides nominating Scammy for the hall of fame? Or writing columns that award him the defacto single season homerun record?

Anybody at the Cubune? Don Wycliff (or his replacement)? Eric Zorn? John Kass? Ann Marie Lipinski? ANYBODY AT ALL???

This story hits just a little too close to home for these hired shills...

:cubune

Trav
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Why lump John Kass in there?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Why lump John Kass in there?
Why wouldn't I? This has nothing to do with the White Sox, in case you hadn't noticed.

Iwritecode
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
You know what's really funny? Flub fans, with their perpetual blinders on, STILL refuse to believe that Shammy was juicing. They call this "circumstantial evidence". Nobody has provided actual "proof" according to them.

I think Shammy could come out and admit it and they still wouldn't believe it.

And people wonder why they fill that ballpark everyday... :rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
03-17-2006, 05:30 PM
You know what's really funny? Flub fans, with their perpetual blinders on, STILL refuse to believe that Shammy was juicing. They call this "circumstantial evidence". Nobody has provided actual "proof" according to them.

And people wonder why they fill that ballpark everyday... :rolleyes:

Those are the same type of people who are applauding Barry Bonds in the spring training games, and basically saying the same thing about "circumstantial evidence". If Bonds or Sosa ever came right out admitted they put every steroid, HGH and whatever else there is into their body (HA !)
these same groups of people would say one of 2 things:

1) I knew it. I never liked him, I always knew he was a cheater.
(See Cub fans reactions following Sosa trade to Baltimore)

2) So ? It doesn't change anything or prove anything. He's still the home run champ. There's still no proof they did anything wrong.

Ol' No. 2
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM

And people wonder why they fill that ballpark everyday... :rolleyes:There are people here who wouldn't accept that Bonds was juicing last year when there was a lot more evidence than there is against Sosa.:o:

Trav
03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Why wouldn't I? This has nothing to do with the White Sox, in case you hadn't noticed.

Because he isn't a sportswriter. I didn't know he had anything to do with the sports section except for the times he writes about his experiences watching the Sox (which, I noticed, this isn't about).

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Because he isn't a sportswriter. I didn't know he had anything to do with the sports section except for the times he writes about his experiences watching the Sox (which, I noticed, this isn't about).

Eric Zorn and John Kass are feature columnists. They can write about anything they want, and often write about sports.

Don Wycliff recently resigned as public editor. His job is to address matters concerning journalistic ethics at the Tribune.

Ann Marie Lipinski is the managing editor. Everybody reports to her.

None of these people are sportswriters. Coincidentally, the two reporters for the San Francisco Chronicle that outted Barroids aren't sportswriters. They're investigative reporters.

But somehow NOBODY from the Cubune sees fit to write anything about Scammy, unless they're nominating him for the HOF, or giving him the single-season homerun title, or joking about Flintstone vitamins. Why is that?

:o:

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
................. instead of leaving Big Frank pretty much hung out to dry and looking like someone who was just pissed that everyone was hitting more than him, maybe we would have had some testing before then.

IM LOOKING RIGHT AT THE CHICAGO MEDIA right now.

DumpJerry
03-17-2006, 11:26 PM
When I saw the article on Foxsports, my reaction was "knock me over with a feather."

A few years back when Prior went down during ST, Jack McDowell speculated that he might be juicing. The media jumped all over him right away, of course. Pitchers use juice for their push-off leg to get more power into the pitch.

Huisj
03-18-2006, 12:43 AM

Another pitcher that I believe got caught was the guy who closed for Milwaukee last year, Derrick Turnbow. I think he got caught when he was with Anaheim.

slavko
03-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Why is Turk Wendell the only one being asked to comment? Why is Barry Rozner of the Daily Herald the one asking the questions?

Where is Phil Rogers on this subject? Or Mike Downey? Or Rick Morrissey? Or Dan McGrath?

Rozner is the best investigative sportswriter in town.

Rozner does not have an agenda.

Rozner seems to be a Cub fan but doesn't hate the Sox.

His only problem is writing columns with too many one-sentence paragraphs.

(Like I just did.)

Wsoxmike59
03-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Turk Wendell said:
“Here’s a guy (Sosa) who goes from 30 homers to 60 homers every year, and just as fast he’s out of baseball. Can’t get a job. How’s that work?
“Baseball people know this is going to get worse and nobody wants anything to do with the guys who were on the stuff. “We would sit there in the clubhouse and laugh. How’s a guy gain 30 pounds of solid muscle in three months (over the winter)? It’s physically impossible without the juice.’’

I said practically the same thing 3 years ago about Sosa ON THIS BOARD when Sosa admitted to lifting weights for the first time in his career in December in the offseason after Dusty Baker was hired prior to the '03 campaign.

I jumped all over that quote as an admission, HOW COULD HE HAVE GAINED ALL THAT MUSCLE MASS in the offseason of '97-'98 if he WASN'T LIFTING all winter long??

I practically got laughed off the board for calling Sosa on it, and only 1 sportswriter (Telander) in town had enough guts or sense to question that comment by Sosa.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2006, 11:25 AM

I said practically the same thing 3 years ago about Sosa ON THIS BOARD when Sosa admitted to lifting weights for the first time .....

I practically got laughed off the board for calling Sosa on it, and only 1 sportswriter (Telander) in town had enough guts or sense to question that comment by Sosa.

Unlike Telander's comments from 2003, you are aware this board has a feature where we can go back through all 800+ posts of yours to verify your version of the facts? I mean if someone really wanted to...

:rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
03-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Those are the same type of people who are applauding Barry Bonds in the spring training games, and basically saying the same thing about "circumstantial evidence". If Bonds or Sosa ever came right out admitted they put every steroid, HGH and whatever else there is into their body (HA !)
these same groups of people would say one of 2 things:

1) I knew it. I never liked him, I always knew he was a cheater.
(See Cub fans reactions following Sosa trade to Baltimore)

2) So ? It doesn't change anything or prove anything. He's still the home run champ. There's still no proof they did anything wrong.

These types of people don't do the word hypocrite justice.

Wsoxmike59
03-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Unlike Telander's comments from 2003, you are aware this board has a feature where we can go back through all 800+ posts of yours to verify your version of the facts? I mean if someone really wanted to...

Go right ahead. I believe I titled the post Sosa admits Steroid Use; when he addressed the fact that he lifted weights for the first time in the month of Dec. during his career after Dusty Baker's hire by the Cubs.

I remember the post vividly. One guy went as far as to "read between the lines" and color code the message as if I were paranoid or simply hoping Sosa was a user.....and another guy said it was physically possible to gain that type of muscle mass in the off season even though Sosa HAD NOT EVER LIFTED WEIGHTS IN THE MONTH OF DEC.

I don't see how a guy could gain the muscle mass Sosa did in the 6 or 8 weeks time in Jan and Feb when Spring Training starts.

That was the "smoking gun" that Sosa "alledgedly" did 'roids in my book.

If the media in this town had ANY BALLS they would've dug further in to the Sosa admission and blown the lid off the whole Sammy Sosa HR Scam.

Wsoxmike59
03-18-2006, 03:10 PM

"my version" of the facts.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28471&highlight=sosa+admits+steroid

Looks like Wsoxmike59 doesn't lie. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
03-18-2006, 03:24 PM
And here is my response to your version of the facts (so don't lump me in with some of the others:

Originally posted by pudge
Dude, so he lifts from January to October, if he doesn't lift in November and December it's not going to matter.

I'm not a Sosa apologist, but this in no way implies he took roids.

Um...he put on all that muscle mass over the winter.

I guess I was a little suspicious. There were one or two others who weren't buying what Sosa was selling, too.

Wsoxmike59
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
No I wasn't lumping you in with the others, I just wanted to show PHG my recollection was pretty clear, and after reading Turk Wendell's quotes in Rozner's column it reminded me of the thread I started on Sosa a few years back.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2006, 06:36 PM
No I wasn't lumping you in with the others, I just wanted to show PHG my recollection was pretty clear, and after reading Turk Wendell's quotes in Rozner's column it reminded me of the thread I started on Sosa a few years back.
Hey, I'm glad you went back and found your post. I'm not sure why you didn't do it in the first place except because you forgot to or perhaps through ignorance of the board's features. It authenticates the point you were making about Sosa's slip of the tongue from 2004. Unless you're willing to pay a fee, Telander's Sun-Times comments cannot be verified...

The page you requested cannot be found.

I'm not sure I agree you were "practically laughed off the board for calling Sosa on it", but I'm not surprised at all to now see Telander's comments on the subject came days AFTER the same subject was discussed at WSI first.

This is nothing new for the website or this message board, being first.
:cool:

:fsock