PDA

View Full Version : Your reaction: Night of October 26th, 2005

tony1972
03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Although I know most Sox Fans say that was one of the happiest moments of their life..I honestly don't remember being delirious but actually in a state of shock. The rest of the night seemed to be surreal as if I were in a dream.

Did anyone feel like perhaps it was a dream and they were going to wake up? I had dreamed about that moment for 15 years and when it happened I ran into the streets of Oak Lawn and listened to the honking cars. Then my friends and I drove to Halstead and 41st (we could not get any closer) and just walked up and down Halstead and 35th and watched the celebrations.

To be honest..the deliriousness hit me AFTER October 26th...I would be driving home from work and all of a sudden BAM !! "the White Sox won the f---- World Series !!" and I would actually pound my fist against the steering wheel in joy.

I have enjoyed the days since the World Series more than that night. I wish I could go back to that day and experience it one more time since it seemed more like a dream...

Am I alone in my reaction? Was anyone else in more of a state of shock that night?

Thoughts? Comments?

Tony:?:

rainbow6
03-16-2006, 10:37 PM
I felt that way specifically about the World Series...
I spent so long (early 80's) for any type of playoff succes, I truly soaked in the glory of the Red Sox sweep....same with the ALCS. Jumped around with my brothers, screamed my head off, etc.

The World Series was a blur. A glorious blur, but a blur none-the-less.
I didn't even "cheer" for some key moments due to the utter shock...when Blum hit his homer you would of thought I was watching "Meet the Press."

It truly felt like I had inhabited an alternative universe...

When the DVD box set is released I plan on setting aside a weekend and relive the entire run...

Luke

itsnotrequired
03-16-2006, 10:38 PM
I stayed up way too late that night typing away with my fellow WSIers. It didn't really hit me in the morning either as I showered, made breakfast, etc. It first hit me when I stepped out my apartment door and felt the breeze in my face. Something about that wind made it feel real. I broke out in a huge smile.

Sounds corny but that's how it went down.:cool:

tony1972
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I stayed up way too late that night typing away with my fellow WSIers. It didn't really hit me in the morning either as I showered, made breakfast, etc. It first hit me when I stepped out my apartment door and felt the breeze in my face. Something about that wind made it feel real. I broke out in a huge smile.

Sounds corny but that's how it went down.:cool:

I remember going to bed about 3 or so in the morning and waking up for work the next day...I am not a morning person so I am crabby when I first wake up..but that morning the second I woke up I was immediately happy and it took a few seconds to remember why :smile:

I have felt that way a lot of mornings since that day :D:

mike squires
03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
I won't go into the whole story. I've done it twice. In short...I was happy but I thought it would be run around the block naked happy which I didn't quite feel. I sat on the couch with my wife after returning from DW3's where we watched the first 9 innings or so. When Uribe made that out it was more of a fist pump for me. Later that night I went to the grocery store for a few things and on the way back I let out a huge yell. There are times I watch the DVD's and I get more goosebumps than I did during the actual series. I was totally into the RedSox series. After that it was kind of a laid back enthusiasm. Maybe it was confidence. Maybe being a dad has put things in perspective.

Maybe I'll run around the block naked this year. Who knows?

rdivaldi
03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
I jumped in my car took a drive up to Grant Park, snapped a few pictures of the buildings that had White Sox in lights, then drove down to the ballpark to soak up the fan exuberance.

Honestly though, after they won I felt more relief than joy. If we ever win again in my lifetime I think I'll enjoy it a whole lot more.

itsnotrequired
03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Maybe being a dad has put things in perspective.

I thought dudes on birth control couldn't have kids?:tongue:

Sort of the same deal on my front. There was only a few times I felt really nervous. Otherwise, it was huge feelings of confidence.

Or maybe it was that 2-month old sitting on my lap for the whole series that kept me feeling fine.:D:

rdivaldi
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM

Sort of the same deal on my front. There was only a few times I felt really nervous. Otherwise, it was huge feelings of confidence.

Or maybe it was that 2-month old sitting on my lap for the whole series that kept me feeling fine.:D:

Your kid was up during the games? Man, my son would have been a mess if I had kept him up that late. Actually the fact that he was asleep right downstairs during the games probably kept me a little more quiet than usual.

mccombe_35
03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
I can relate Tony! I think I was in shock during the whole Series. For too many years even getting there was something that seemed so out of reach. After the last out a few minutes passed & i just sat there. then a few tears. then I popped a good bottle of champagne. I still think I was so stressed & tense I didn't get to really soak the whole thing in. So, like many of you, I pop in the DVDs all the time & get all pumped up all over again, when I can enjoy the whole thing without the stress!!!!

LuzinskiFan
03-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I fell face first on to the floor and didn't get up for a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it. Then I went out to the bar and got hammered. What a great night!

SOX ADDICT '73
03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Oddly enough, I think my nervousness/excitement actually decreased with each successive series (starting with the division clincher in Detroit). I know it sounds ridiculous, but as the Sox went deeper into the postseason, and their dominance continued, the championship began to seem inevitable. It reached a point that when Uribe went into the stands to make that catch, I was thinking "Of course he caught it." Call it confidence or what you will, but by the final out, I was just sitting on my couch, my 4-month-old daughter on my lap and a big grin on my face, soaking in what I knew back at SoxFest '05 was destined to be.

soltrain21
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
I remember jumping up in the air and falling to the ground. My phone rang a few seconds later and my dad was crying.

The rest of the night is a blur. Hell, I was so happy I told my Cubs fan roommate that I hope he feels this great one day.

I retracted my statement the next day.

SOecks
03-17-2006, 12:14 AM
I just screamed my head off and was in a dream state the rest of the night. I went to Durkins for the final game of the WS and took video of them winning it. The entire place erupted and it was completely insane. I'm really glad I taped it. One of the best moments of my life and I can send the video to anyone for years just in case they forget how great it was.

mike squires
03-17-2006, 12:33 AM

I have a feeling I'll never live that one down.

CaptainBallz
03-17-2006, 01:11 AM
I partied...hard.

Chisox003
03-17-2006, 01:12 AM
I was hammered

nedlug
03-17-2006, 01:43 AM
I was driving up to an interview with Caterpillar in Aurora and I got to experience the last 5-6 innings with Rooney and Farmer, including their great, great call of Uribe's catch. When I heard "A White Sox winner and a World Championship," I first thought of honking the horn. Then, I realized that my horn does not work, and so, completely noiseless and alone, I sat in the silence just smiling. When I finally did get in to Aurora, I did get to catch about a half hour of WGN's coverage of the after parties, which was awesome.

Any way, that night ranks right up there with one of the best nights of my life. I will never forget the feeling of relief, happiness, ecstasy, and longing that I felt that night.

Well, that's my story, dull as it is.

soltrain21
03-17-2006, 01:48 AM
I was driving up to an interview with Caterpillar in Aurora and I got to experience the last 5-6 innings with Rooney and Farmer, including their great, great call of Uribe's catch. When I heard "A White Sox winner and a World Championship," I first thought of honking the horn. Then, I realized that my horn does not work, and so, completely noiseless and alone, I sat in the silence just smiling. When I finally did get in to Aurora, I did get to catch about a half hour of WGN's coverage of the after parties, which was awesome.

Any way, that night ranks right up there with one of the best nights of my life. I will never forget the feeling of relief, happiness, ecstasy, and longing that I felt that night.

Well, that's my story, dull as it is.

Did you get the job?

ChiSoxLifer
03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Living out in Los Angeles I didn't know where a lot of White Sox fans would be so I dragged my girlfriend to Hooter's in Burbank. The place was packed but there only 4 White Sox fans there. When the game began, I bought the other Sox fans a pitcher of beer. I didn't know who they were but they did tell me they were from Chicago. The whole game we were on pins and needles. Freddy was just on and Backe matched him. When Uribe dove into the stands, that's when it really hit me. The White Sox are about to win the freaking World Series! When they got the final out, the four of us just screamed our heads off. It didn't matter that we were the only ones excited. Nothing was going to shut us up. Man, I still haven't stopped smiling.:wink: :wink: :wink:

TheKittle
03-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Living out in Los Angeles I didn't know where a lot of White Sox fans would be so I dragged my girlfriend to Hooter's in Burbank. The place was packed but there only 4 White Sox fans there. When the game began, I bought the other Sox fans a pitcher of beer. I didn't know who they were but they did tell me they were from Chicago. The whole game we were on pins and needles. Freddy was just on and Backe matched him. When Uribe dove into the stands, that's when it really hit me. The White Sox are about to win the freaking World Series! When they got the final out, the four of us just screamed our heads off. It didn't matter that we were the only ones excited. Nothing was going to shut us up. Man, I still haven't stopped smiling.:wink: :wink: :wink:

You're coming down to Anaheim in April, when the White Sox are in town, right?

RadioheadRocks
03-17-2006, 03:06 AM
That whole week was such a magnificent blur, mainly because I had to work the nights of Games 1 and 2, then the very next morning I flew back to Chicago for a couple days to visit the family, watched Game 3 at my folks' house Tuesday night and ended up pulling an all-nighter since my flight back left at 7:45am (no way I was going to sleep after that game, so I just watched all the highlights on Fox, ESPN and Comcast to pass the time before heading to the airport). When I got home I put a bottle of champagne I got from my sister when she visited Napa Valley earlier that summer in the fridge, got a little bit of sleep during the day then sat literally on the edge of my seat throughout Game 4. After the last out I opened my sliding terrace door and let out the happiest shriek of my life while waving my White Sox flag, popped open the champagne and cranked Thunderstruck, Let's Go Go-Go White Sox, Shock The Monkey, Don't Stop Believin' and At Last (gotta have some Etta James for that moment!!!) on my CD player. Later that night I went on a run to Wally World, still buzzing from the entire bottle of champagne, in search of a silver paint marker so I could commemorate the happy occasion for posterity on the bottle. :D:

starboy0
03-17-2006, 07:01 AM
I was outside in my back yard pacing like a caged animal the last two innings. Had my radio because I couldn't bear to watch; the tension was the most I think I had ever felt in my life. Plus it was a superstition thing; when I would listen to the radio they seemed to always win.

After the final out time seem momentarily suspended; I paused and needed corroboration that this was actually true. My wife screaming inside the house, neighbors down the street whooping it up with Rooney's final call convinced me.

I let out a few "teutonic yawps" (a la dead poet's society) went inside, opened a tall boy, watched the celebration on tv and got on the phone.

What a team.

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 07:11 AM
I partied...hard.

Andrew WK salutes you!

soxinem1
03-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Some of my buddies and my brother wanted me to go out to a bar, but I chose to watch the game with my loyal companion, my 10 year old son at home.

Unfortunately what I didn't know is that my cub fan mother in law was invited over by my wife because she wanted to see how I reacted when the White Sox won it all.

This is how I reacted. After the last out I jumped up yelling, hugging my son, then my wife, then my mom in law, then Soxinem1 Jr. and I ran outside and sprayed several bottles of champaign on each other, then ran down the street howling and hooting with the rest of my neighbors. It was about 30 degrees and drizzling. And all I had on was a 1901 White Sox t-shirt and Sox sweatpants. I was in socks, forgot to put my shoes on when we ran outside.

It was a blast.

Erik The Red
03-17-2006, 07:37 AM
I was working the evening shift at the time, 3pm to 11pm. I'd occasionally get to take off 5 min or so early, and that night was one of those times. I'd been keeping track of the game by stopping into the breakroom occasionally and checking the TV there. At 10:55 I ran out of work like a bat out of hell and got into my car. I worked only a couple miles from home at the time, and I drove in such a manner that I KNOW it wasn't legal. After taking the stairs 3 at a time to get to my apartment door, I burst into the living room at 11:01, just long enough to grab a beer and watch the final three outs.

:bandance:

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-17-2006, 08:03 AM
I was sitting in my living room - I refused to go out because I wanted to be with my family as well. I paced for a good part of the 7th and 8th inning; I could NOT sit still. I then sat on the edge of the coffee table for the entire 9th inning. When Uribe caught the ball in the stands for the 2nd out, I got REALLY nervous...not excited nervous, more of a, "oh man, one more out, what's gonna go wrong?" When Paulie caught the third out, I sat there in total disbelief for a good 10 minutes, bawling like a baby.

I hugged my kids, my wife, then went out on my front porch, and let out a deep, gutteral yell - the type where your throat hurts but you keep going anyway. I called me brothers, got a call from the Cub fan BIL, drank champagne, set off my wife's car alarm, and watched TV for 5 hours. No BS - every time I see footage from any of the postseason, I get goosebumps and a little teary eyed. It's one of those things that it's SO great, it's hard to believe.

Someone else said it best - this one was relief. The next one will be pure joy.

jenn2080
03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
First the question should be what were you emotions the whole month of October. That was one of the best months of my life. My friends and I were at Union Park west of the loop. There was about 12 of us and I will tell you that the only thing that was said during the whole entire game was beer please. After JD hit the single and Uribe went into the stands we were all on our feet with a smile so big your jaw hurt. Once Paulie caught the final out we went crazy. We were jumping on each other beer was flying all over and tears were flowing. Ill tell ya I dont think marriage will make me as excited as the day the Sox won the World Series. The next morning I had to turn the tv on to make sure I really wasnt dreaming. Everything was sureal. I still smile like I did the day we won when I see something about us winning the world series. I think I was out of it the whole month of Oct except during game time. I would go through the lack of sleep for that month a 100 times over.

SOXSINCE'70
03-17-2006, 08:46 AM
It was a state of shock.I had always thought that if the
White Sox ever won a WS in my lifetime,i'd be
sobbing uncontrollably:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: .
After hugging a few friends,I just stood in front of the TV
in shock.The feeling really began to hit me when I watched
the WS and "Sox Pride" DVD's.When I get my 2005 commemorative
WS set from DeepDicountDVD.com,it will probably get worse.
Last weekend,I was watching the WS DVD at my parents
house and my Mom walked in after it ended and asked
me why I had tears in my eyes.:redface: :redface:

Baby Fisk
03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Lots of yelling, sobbing, drinking and posting for several hours after the final out.

I woke up the next morning on the bathroom floor. :o: :redface: :bandance:

Cat Thief
03-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Ran out of the VFW onto Wallace with a six pack in hand. Walked down the middle of the street high fiving people in cars and others that came from the sidewalks. Cops driving by with their lights flashing and blowing their air horns or whatever they are, enjoying it just like the rest of us. Got to 35th by the Grandstand where a crowd already had gathered, misc high fives and hugs for people I have never met before and probably never will again.
East on 35th with a small crowd under the viaduct to the staging area the CPD had setup. They were ready. They forced everyone into parking lot C. The lights were bright. All the media was set up. The crowd was small at first but that didn't last long. The parking lot was a sea of Sox fans jumping for joy. More hugs and high fives all over for strangers. I gave 4 of my beers away to strangers and douse myself with the one.I lost my wife a couple of times in the crowd but she wouldn't let me out of her sight. After a while I just stood back and watched everything and a couple of tears came down. It had not sunk in yet.
That got old so we headed down 35th toward Halsted. The cars and the horns and the huge crowd on 35th and Halsted was amazing. I don't think I have ever seen such a loud, boisterous crowd so peaceful.This was different then the Bull's championships. Down Halsted to 31st same thing all over again. That's about all I remember.

I never really lost it until I wrote my dedication for the book and read the article by John Kass on the Trib website. It was 6a.

I had the time of my life.

palehozenychicty
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Lots of yelling, sobbing, drinking and posting for several hours after the final out.

That is brilliant. It's the only way to do it. As for me, I caught the last inning at this bar in the Village after I was at a fundraising event for work :angry: . But I was already buzzing, and after Uribe's wizardry, I was in disbelief at first. I ran out of the bar screaming, and my brother called me and we kept saying, "I don't believe it.".

Jurr
03-17-2006, 09:49 AM

No hangover like champagne, either. That nice, dull throb right behind your eyes.

All I remember is a buddy of mine decked out in my Uribe jersey, diving over rails all night, acting like he was catching a ball. Haze after that. I do remember getting a champagne bath in 40 degree temperatures outside.

kravdog
03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
i remember ordering 8 bottles of champange at Champs on the northside of Indy. i dont think anyone had ever done that there before. after closing that bar down with some fellow sox fans, many i had just met, i don't remember much...but I know that I was out for a couple of more hours...

Madvora
03-17-2006, 09:59 AM
I was at a bar and when the final out happened, the bartender passed out a few bottles of champagne to the ends of the bar. They were spraying the stuff everywhere I made sure that I got got some of it on me.
I started crying immediately. It's weird because after the Uribe catch I knew it was going to happen and it was only seconds away and I though well I'm a little misty already, but I already know what it's going to be like when they win it... but as soon as Uribe made the great play for the final out I lost it and it was a feeling that I couldn't have been prepared for even knowing it was coming just seconds before.
Then I made sure I got home immediately to open some champagne of my own. I was more concerned about that than partying in the streets. I also called my parents crying and drunk which was a little embarrasing.

mccoydp
03-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I was (happily) speechless when it finally happened.

I just didn't know what to say!

MarySwiss
03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
That night I rocketed into outerspace, bounced off a few planets, and have been on an extended high ever since. I smile for no reason and frequently find myself singing Let's Go, Go, GO White Sox or South Side Irish. I know it's driving most of my friends crazy to see me be this ecstatically goofy all the time.

I plan to stay this way forever. :D:

SOXPHILE
03-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I was at Shoeless Joe's for game 4 of the WS. The game was a nailbiter, 0-0 through 7 innings, and I remember being REALLY nervous the whole time, imagining worst case scenarios, i.e. 2004 Red Sox coming back from being down 3-0 in ALCS. The bottom of the 9th inning seemed to last an enternity. Lead off single. Crap ! Sac bunt. Man on 2nd, but at least there's 1 out. Uribe dives into the stands. OH MY GOD ! HE CAUGHT IT ! SOMEBODY GET BACK AND COVER 3RD SO THE RUNNER CAN'T TAG UP ! 2 OUTS !!!! Then, when that slow bouncer goes over Jenks' head, I was thinking the runner was definatly going to beat it out, and there would be runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs, and the inning and game would be extended. When Uribe through to Konerko and got the runner by an eyelash, there was a milisecond of stunned silence while we waited for the ump to call him out. Then, the whole place erupted. I let out the loudest yell I think I ever have, but I couldn't even hear myself, because everyone else was too. People were spraying beer & champagne, and I jumped up on a table and was waving my Sox flag, high fiving everyone. For about the next hour, we just screamed, yelled and ran around the bar, celebrating. I woke up the next morning for work EXTREMELY tired, but it didn't matter. I sat around, flipping channels on the T.V. to verify that, yes, it did happen, the White Sox just won the World Series. Every day since, I've had a smile on my face because of it. The fall and winter, normally cold and dreary for me, just flew by.

spiffie
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I was one of the many WSI'ers who was at Puffer's for the clincher. I remember the feeling of pure joy and ecstacy that I felt during the celebration. I never wanted it to end because nothing else will ever feel that perfect. If there's a heaven that's what it feels like.

One of my roommates had a friend from out of town with him that night, and he came down and met me, and after a while we drove back up to our apt. I spent the ride trying to explain why a simple baseball game meant so much to me, and found myself for the first time really able to do it. The experience finally was complete that night.

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I just looked over at Pinwheels ...........

Hangar18
03-17-2006, 11:16 AM
............and after that, I was then FLOODED with a torrent of phone calls from people at all corners of the country, people who knew I was the biggest SOX fan, and wanting to congratulate me. That part was especially touching to me, that everyone would remember that. I had to pay $300 in overages that month

batmanZoSo
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
It was kind of anti-climactic for me. Winning the Series was a foregone conclusion in my mind. Even in the first round I just had a feeling like it was the year, especially after the first game or two. Game 4 was the only game where I was nervous and extremely so. The whole time I stood there at the bar (no seats in the whole place) and had maybe one beer. I was too uptight and focused to think about drinking. Then when it was over, it was kind of hard to believe. I think I had a hard time coming down from the anxiety buzz so to speak. It definitely hit me more later on.

geraldfritz
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I can only remember sitting on my couch in disbelief. I don't remember being as happy as I thought I would. A couple days later I actually felt a little depressed. The only thing that I could think of was, "It isn't going to get any better than this" and it made me sad. I have thought about the sox winning the series my entire life, and when it happened I didn't know hw to take it. I guess I will need another title so I can enjoy it more this time. It will probably really hit me on opening day when they raise the flag.

If anybody wants to see a 23 year old man cry like a baby, look to section 557 row 12.

brlysgrl56
03-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I was far too nervous to sit still so I paced and counted my breaths. My heart was pounding so loud I couldn't really hear the TV in the 9th.

Then it happened.

And I cried like a baby hugging my husband who was on the phone with his brothers. i couldn't speak. I just sat on my bed watching the celebrations and laughed and cried. I watched some fireworks from my bedroom window.

I went to work the next day exhausted and decked out in my gear. We didn't talk about anything else that day! :bandance:

Cye

ChiSoxLifer
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
You're coming down to Anaheim in April, when the White Sox are in town, right?

I got tickets for the Friday game and will pick up tickets for the rest of the weekend as the date gets closer. I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Madvora
03-17-2006, 02:44 PM
I can only remember sitting on my couch in disbelief. I don't remember being as happy as I thought I would. A couple days later I actually felt a little depressed. The only thing that I could think of was, "It isn't going to get any better than this" and it made me sad. I have thought about the sox winning the series my entire life, and when it happened I didn't know hw to take it. I guess I will need another title so I can enjoy it more this time. It will probably really hit me on opening day when they raise the flag.

If anybody wants to see a 23 year old man cry like a baby, look to section 557 row 12.
Holy crap! I had that same section and row for ALCS game 2. I love it over there. The curve lets you face the field and is actually a great view. I even ended up getting a hold of the same thing for World Series game 6.

alohafri
03-17-2006, 02:49 PM
We passed out the champagne and the Cuban cigars at my buddy's house in River Forest. Spent part of the celebration on the phone with Wilks, Steff, and Chisoxgirl.

chisoxfanatic
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I was with Hangar18, chisoxmike, Chips, The Dude, ChiSoxGirl, Lucy, IronFisk, and all of my Puffers friends that night. Immediately when we won the World Series, I started jumping up and down like never before. Beer and champaign were flowing around the air throughout the entire bar. Some of silly string that was used on that day still are on the celing of Puffers to this very day, as well as beer reminants. It was a beautiful mess in there for a solid three to five minutes before ANY order came to be...I LOVED it!!!

When I could finally get a hold of someone, I believe the first person I hugged was IronFisk, and I told him to ring his cowbell. I then hugged Lucy and chisoxmike at the same time...I couldn't even find Chips or The Dude at the time. I then saw ChiSoxGirl behind me in tears, which then prompted me to start blubbering like a baby. The two of us embraced each other in a hug for a long time. Chips and The Dude then joined us when we caught up with them. I said to her, "Can you believe it? We just won the WORLD SERIES!" All I got out of her was, "Oh, my god!!!!!!" Meanwhile Hangar18 was taping all of this on his camera recorder. We still have yet to see that video. We MUST see that video, Henry!!! :cool:

I was involved in the outdoor celebration for quite a long time. On my way to Grandstand, I caught up with Lucy, and we walked over to chisoxmike, who was standing in that long line to get in. None of us were able to get in, so we decided to go over to Comiskey's Parking Lot C to celebrate. As we walked over there, I saw DumpJerry and IronFisk (IF came back with us to the parking lot). That lot was STUFFED with people singing Sox songs, doing Sox chants, and quoting Hawk Harrelson...It was a thing of beauty!

I returned to Halsted Street and stayed out there for a couple of hours in the misty, cold temperatures. I didn't care about the weather at the time, the fun and exhuberance that filled that night created this warmth that even the coldest temperatures couldn't break through. I then re-entered Puffers for the rest of the night.

I didn't get home until about 2:30 in the morning, and, while I was in the shower, my boyfriend called me. When we hung up, I logged in to WSI for about 2 1/2 hours and then watched the 9th inning + Postgame celebrations that I had taped that night until it was time to go to work. That's right, I did not sleep one minute that night.

I went to work in the exact same thing I went to Puffers in -- Konerko authentic home white jersey. Everyone at work was in a total state of awe, and not much work got done for a few days afterwards. It's awesome teaching at a school that's dominated by Soxdom!

miker
03-17-2006, 06:09 PM
That 9th inning was one of the weirdest feelings in my life. I was in a crowded bar with loud TVs all around, yet I felt like I was in a bubble devoid of all sensation. Time seemed to stop on Uribe's stand-diving catch, when that grounder bounced over Bobby and that almost infinite stretch between the time Paulie caught the throw and the ump signaled out.

I screamed, and hugged the friends that were with me and quite a few strangers, got beer and champagne sprayed on me and the 500-ton weight of never having my ballclub win the World Series in my lifetime was lifted off my (and a lot of other people's) shoulders.

Is it the most important night of my life? -- let's hope not, but damn it felt really good.

Thanks White Sox...I would do anything to relive that night.

kevin57
03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
I remember the exhilaration of the bar where I was at with two cousins, also Sox fanatics. I then remember cars honking up and down 111th St. Lots of cheering. Then, I remember the bars on Western starting to shut down. :whiner: Then, I remember trying to get to Bridgeport to continue the celebration...unsuccessfully. :whiner: :whiner: Then I remember coming here to try to articulate my joy...unsuccessfully. Then, sleep and about a week of surreal but indescribable ecstasy...naturally induced :redneck .

starboy0
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Some of my buddies and my brother wanted me to go out to a bar, but I chose to watch the game with my loyal companion, my 10 year old son at home.

Unfortunately what I didn't know is that my cub fan mother in law was invited over by my wife because she wanted to see how I reacted when the White Sox won it all.

This is how I reacted. After the last out I jumped up yelling, hugging my son, then my wife, then my mom in law, then Soxinem1 Jr. and I ran outside and sprayed several bottles of champaign on each other, then ran down the street howling and hooting with the rest of my neighbors. It was about 30 degrees and drizzling. And all I had on was a 1901 White Sox t-shirt and Sox sweatpants. I was in socks, forgot to put my shoes on when we ran outside
It was a blast.

Sweet.

itsnotrequired
03-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Your kid was up during the games? Man, my son would have been a mess if I had kept him up that late. Actually the fact that he was asleep right downstairs during the games probably kept me a little more quiet than usual.

The lil' guy was a champ during the series. In fact, here he is at the victory parade. Not even 2 months old.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4590/dsc066447qp.jpg

My wife and I were too busy watching the team to notice that he was more or less buried in paper shreds. This photo is after we cleaned him off.:cool:

SoxandtheCityTee
03-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I'd watched Game 3 at Grace O'Malley's and stuck it out to the end, after most people had to go home because of work the next day; I saw the win with a few Sox fans I did not know (who were very nice and fun) so I decided to watch Game 4 with family as I needed to be out in the suburbs that day anyway. October 26 is my birthday and my brother's family surprised me with a cake with a perfect Sox logo. I was wearing my Boys of Soxtober T shirt (obtained after Game 2) and my niece drew a crayon picture of me featuring the T shirt, "Happy Birthday" and "Go Sox!" which I am having framed along with my Game 2 ticket and the SI cover. After the game the kids had to go to bed, so I drove home to field (and make) the congratulatory phone calls. I was so blissfully happy driving down the Kennedy listening to the radio coverage that tears would trickle down my face though I was stone cold sober.

Best. Birthday Gift. Ever.

thomas35forever
03-18-2006, 05:03 PM
It was just an awesome feeling. If this were a weekend night, I'd prolly be up all night. I remember being on WSI for quite awhile and playing Let's Go Go-Go White Sox. I also played a bunch of those fight songs as they were getting ready to win the pennant.

My uncle, who doesn't follow baseball much but hates the Cubs, called me and my dad to congratulate us. Ah, what a great night it was to be a Sox fan!

I got mad at myself the next day because I had taped the 9th inning and the trophy presentation the night before and I was taping the team coming home and I forgot the rewind the thing! Thank God for Comcast SportsNet's holiday celebration though!

vegyrex
03-18-2006, 10:59 PM
In my living room when the last out was made. I jumped up and down and ran from one end of my house to the other screaming "We did it! We did it!" Opened a bottle of wine. Gave a toast to my late aunt and wished she was here for this and watched all the news coverage.

An incredible night.

soxjim
03-19-2006, 12:11 AM
I was on WSI chat at the time. After listening to the booms, I dove on the coach. My wife was yelling out our balcony door. she turned around and was in tears. I did not tear up until my grandma from Bridgeport called us and told us what it was like down there. We then listened to Lets go go White SOX and other songs until 2am

rdivaldi
03-19-2006, 12:26 AM
The lil' guy was a champ during the series. In fact, here he is at the victory parade. Not even 2 months old.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4590/dsc066447qp.jpg

My wife and I were too busy watching the team to notice that he was more or less buried in paper shreds. This photo is after we cleaned him off.:cool:

Heh, heh nice. My boy was a little more than 7 months old when they won, unfortunately he had a cold at the time. I was going to take him out to Cermak and State to watch the parade go by, but then thought better of it. We'll go see the victory parade this season. (note, no pink)
:smile:

Viva Medias B's
03-19-2006, 12:50 AM
For me, it was surreal. While I fully realized that we won the World Series, it still did not sink in. The most I remember after that victory was doing a lot of this:

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

TommyJohn
03-19-2006, 09:16 AM
It still hasn't sunk in for me. I don't think it ever will.

For me, the most incredible feeling happened the night of game 5 of the
ALCS. I kept being haunted by visions of the 2003 Cubs and 1986 Angels,
among other teams. I had a feeling of confidence and peace that I didn't
have in 1983, 1993 and 2000. Back then I was tight and tense and had a
pit-of-the-stomach feeling that they would lose. I didn't have that in
2005 and it scared me. I didn't WANT that feeling of confidence. I felt
that it might be a setup to the big choke, and I'd feel like an idiot.

I finally stopped fighting the confident feeling in the top of the 9th, when
they scored twice to make it 6-3. That is when a feeling of calm just swept
over me, followed by a sudden rushing sense of "Oh, my God! They're going
to do it this time! They are actually going to win the pennant! They're going
to the World Series!"

North Sox Sider
03-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I was actually across the street from Wrigley at Casey Morans. I was surprised how many Sox fans were there. It was very exciting. I was also in shock in that ninth inning. I thought I was going to be a blubbering fool when the final out occurred but I wasnt. I just remember looking around and seeing dozens of people high fiving everyone and I just had my mouth open. I couldnt do anything but just stand there in awe of the situation.
When I left Casey Morans and was walking down Clark toward Mullens about 30 minutes after the game, everyone was still honking there horns. Fans had brooms waving outside their cars. The best site though was the few fans that were actually dancing underneath the Wrigley marquee with their brooms. It was a site I thought I would never see. October was the greatest month on my life.
I get the chills and a few tears whenever I see the Sox World Series DVD and they show the last out. The slow piano tune and they show Scotty and Aaron running into the infield. UNBELIEVEABLE!!

Tim McCarver: "How do these things happen."
Joe Buck: "Unbelieveable!!!"

Joe Buck: " Shock and Awe here on the the Southside!!!!"

PKalltheway
03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I remember holding my breath on the last play, the ground ball to Uribe. I was soooo nervous. The play seemed like it took forever. Then once the umpire called Palmeiro out I went crazy. I started yelling and jumping up and down and then, oddly enough, I stopped because I actually got light headed! Seriously! I know this phrase has been overused but it's true. That will be a night I will never, ever forget!:cool: I then promptly told my dad who is a Cubs fan "The White Sox are now Chicago's team!" His reply: nothing!:cool:

chisoxmike
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
It's a night I will never forget. I hope one day I'll be able to do it again.

skobabe8
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
For me it was a feeling of vindication.

All of those years spent fighting for something I believed in against the masses and taking the abuse finally made it all wothwhile. I felt like it was the end of the movie and the good guys won.

chisoxflafan
03-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Hurricane Wilma came barrelling through that week so I was without power. We have a generator but could not keep it going all of the time. I had just enough time to read the headlines on AOL that said 88 Years of Futility has ended. I sat there and cried like a baby. I know we won but I guess not really seeing it happen has me watching these DVDs over and over.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2006, 05:16 AM
i felt like crying but the tears wouldnt come. i didnt believe it. it just wasnt real to me. i jumped around the chili's on touhy/carpenter road (everywhere else i went was PACKED, so i settled for it) screaming, "WE DID IT! WE DID IT!" and even hugged my cousin who is a huge cubs fan, but even he was celebrating, lol. i then met up with about 12 of my friends, mind you 8 of them were cub fans, yet they all wanted to go celebrate. so we drove around downtown until we stopped at the rock n roll mcdonalds and just filled the streets with a buncchhhh of fans.

NEPA SoxFan24
03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I always remembered reading an essay by Jean Shepherd about Zeke Bonura where he defended his White Sox fandom by saying that they represented the true civic soul of Chicago, with decades of scandal and mediocrity. Unfortunately, in my lifetime, with few exceptions, the White Sox lived up to that - good, but never good enough (83, 93, 2000). Last year was something magical that will be remembered forever. I still catch myself after saying "World Champion White Sox" and say to myself, "Did I really just say that?" For me, October 26 was a little bittersweet, because my wife had gone into the hospital the night before (she had a severe gall bladder attack that started just after Blum's home run). In the bottom of the ninth, I briefly considered waking up my 6-year old son, who, based on one trip to Chicago and his first big-league park has thus far rejected the prevalent Yankee and Phillie influences in the area (NEPA=NorthEast PA). I thought better of it and taped the end. I was pumped up beyond words when the last out was called. What a wonderful night.

MsSoxVixen22
03-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I started crying after they won the WS. I was so psyched and I stayed up till like 11pm to watch them celebrate. My Dad got up and did a little happy dance. The next day I was like in a daze-it hadn't set in that the Sox won..they did it. A couple friends of mine felt the same way. I don't think it set in until a couple months later! I will always remember that day and I will tell my children about how the Sox won the WS in '05. :bandance: I only hope that when the Sox win the WS this year they do it on a Friday or Saturday so I can celebrate!