PDA

View Full Version : A's reduce number of seats to increase sales

DumpJerry
03-16-2006, 04:33 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5418206

This makes sense. Of course, the Cubs go against the trend, but what else is new?

Perhaps the Braves need to do this at playoff time so they can sell more tickets.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Gosh, this sounds exactly like something you might have read here at WSI six or seven years ago. Who was that internet sage?
:wink:

Eliminating tough-to-sell cheap seats makes good business sense, says Dan Champeau, who leads the sports credit-rating practice at Fitch Ratings.

"The economics of these facilities are not driven by walk-up ticket revenue," he said. "They're driven by longer-term contracts - premium seating, luxury seats, naming rights. So the cost of providing those cheaper seats in the long run might not make sense."

:gallas
"You mean walk ups induced with empty pop can 1/2 off a pack of Marlboros and a complimentary coffee with any $4 purchase at Dunkin Donuts on flying Elvis night with make love/not war sleepover isn't the way to go?"

ewokpelts
03-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Gosh, this sounds exactly like something you might have read here at WSI six or seven years ago. Who was that internet sage?
:wink:

:gallas
"You mean walk ups induced with empty pop can 1/2 off a pack of Marlboros and a complimentary coffee with any $4 purchase at Dunkin Donuts on flying Elvis night with make love/not war sleepover isn't the way to go?"

I disagree. While it might work for a team like the A's (play in a football stadium), eliminating value seats denies the casual fan a chance to sample the ball park experience. If most seating is "premium" (or priced like it, see the comiskey bleachers for an example), you push away some fans that cant afford to go to more than one or two games a year. Strategies like this are the beginning of the slippery slope of making baseball games an "event", like to to the theatre(and not the ones that show movies) or worse, football games.
Gene

p.s. this argument more applies to small market teams. Chicago, and the sox in particular, are a bad case example.

RKMeibalane
03-16-2006, 07:15 PM
The whole thing is Frank's fault. He brought Gallas' lame ideas with him to the Bay Area.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
The whole thing is Frank's fault. He brought Gallas' lame ideas with him to the Bay Area.

:hurt
"See guys in Chicago I pretty much did what I want. The Frank doesn not like early batting practice."

DumpJerry
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I can see this making sense in a small(er) market. If it known that there will be 20,000+ seats available for any given game, people will put off the decision to go to a particular game until that day to see what the weather is doing, how things went at the office, etc. If the overall number of seats available is reduced, then it is not always a given that DOG tickets (Day of Game) will be available, thereby forcing you to make the decision to purchase ahead of time. Under this model, the team will sell tickets they might not have sold if every non-ST holder waited until teh day of game of buy.

I think the A's will do ok in the attendance area this year, they will be in the hunt for the AL West and they don't have Barry.

Rooney4Prez56
03-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I disagree. While it might work for a team like the A's (play in a football stadium), eliminating value seats denies the casual fan a chance to sample the ball park experience. If most seating is "premium" (or priced like it, see the comiskey bleachers for an example), you push away some fans that cant afford to go to more than one or two games a year. Strategies like this are the beginning of the slippery slope of making baseball games an "event", like to to the theatre(and not the ones that show movies) or worse, football games.
Gene

That's what has always worried me about cutting out seats.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2006, 02:04 PM
That's what has always worried me about cutting out seats.

Ticket scarcity drives sales. Or haven't you noticed how the team on the other side of town markets their team?
:cool:

:lynch&mcfail
"We sold out everything in the first 3 days... But wait! You can still get tickets! Visit us at TribuneScalpers.com and check it out! Special packages for preferred seating away from the lavatory on the bus from Des Moines are also available. Don't delay! Call now!"