PDA

View Full Version : Latest nonsense from Certified Imbecile and NBA "Expert" Tom Tolbert

TheOldRoman
03-16-2006, 02:14 PM
As I was getting ready for bed last night, I had on ESPN (my first mistake:D:). The replay of the day's NBA game came on, and I paid little attention (Clippers vs. Suns - about as marquee of a matchup as they come in today's horrible NBA).

They were talking about the Clippers, how they had been so horrible, never won a division, overshadowed by the Lakers, etc. Then Uncle Fester himself, outed Sox-hater and all around dumbass Tom Tolbert decided to chime in. "The Clippers are competing, and they are doing a great job this year, but it will never be their city. It is just like the situation in Chicago. The Sox won a world series, but it is still a Cubs town. Always has been, always will be, and they cant change that. The Clips are just like the White Sox."

Apparently, the Cubs are like the Lakers?:?:
Oh, I see. The Lakers have a proud winning tradition, whereas the Cubs have a proud winning tradition. Of course, anyone with brains knows that when the media says it has always been a Cubs town, they mean exclusively the last 20 years, as long as they can remember.

I don't think anything could be more ridiculous to comparing the Sox to the Clippers. The Sox have been established in this city for a century, and have survived their entire existance with a team next door, They have been overshadowed by media hype, not by the Cubs winning. The Sox are one of the winningest franchises over the last 15 years, whereas the Clippers are the worst in the NBA. The Clippers moved into a town 20 years ago that had already embraced a Lakers dynasty. The Clippers don't even have their own ****ing arena, they play where the Lakers do. I think it is ridiculous to compare a team as succsessful as the Sox (during the regular season at least) to a joke of a franchise like the Clippers. The Sox have owned the town before, and will again if the Trib ever sells the Cubs. The Clippers moved into a no win situation.

This isn't the first Sox trolling Tolbert did. He went off on Hawks last year. After the Sox traded for Vazquez, ESPN was hyping a SC segment that night "White Sox - best rotation ever?" Every time the other announcer read the promo, Tolbert was spitting on himself with anger. "That is a joke. They don't have any superstars. They might not be in the top five pitching staffs in baseball today, let alone ever."

Hey Tom Tolbert- You're a
:dumbass:

SOecks
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
What an ass.:angry::angry::angry: Oh well.

Dan Mega
03-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Tolbert in just a moron that hates the Sox. He is a Paul Sullivan wanna be.

Chisox003
03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Why stuff like this still frustrates you guys is beyond me :?:

People like this reek of jealousy

Who cares?

MarySwiss
03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Roman, reread what that guy said, consider the source, and have a good laugh about it. I'm sure he wasn't trying to be funny, but I gotta admit, it cracked me up. Clippers/Lakers = Sox/Cubs. Please.

BTW, the Suns absolutely SMOKED the Clippers to open up a 7 1/2 game lead--and that's without Amare--so I'd love to hear him analyze just exactly how the Clippers are "competing."

soxfanatlanta
03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
C'mon man, he is spewing that garbage just to piss people off: mission completion! Why give that poor man's Charles Barkley any consideration?

Risk
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Well it's good to see that Tom Tolbert's commentary ability is similar to his illustrious playing ability at Golden State. Now thats consistency.

Risk

Iwritecode
03-16-2006, 03:11 PM
As I was getting ready for bed last night, I had on ESPN (my first mistake:D:).

Yep.

longshot7
03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I heard it too. I actually like the Clippers, so I was watching that and when he said that, I almost fell off my couch. Chicago - always a Cubs town? Not anymore. Look at the season tickets. Tolbert claimed that the the Sox selling out theirs wasn't a big deal because the Cubs do it every year. I don't think that's accurate - in fact, I can't remember the last time the Cubs sold out their season tickets. The Sox have to have more sold for 2006, right?

TheOldRoman
03-16-2006, 04:08 PM
I heard it too. I actually like the Clippers, so I was watching that and when he said that, I almost fell off my couch. Chicago - always a Cubs town? Not anymore. Look at the season tickets. Tolbert claimed that the the Sox selling out theirs wasn't a big deal because the Cubs do it every year. I don't think that's accurate - in fact, I can't remember the last time the Cubs sold out their season tickets. The Sox have to have more sold for 2006, right?
Yeah, I forgot about that part.

jdm2662
03-16-2006, 04:13 PM

To note, the Cubs cappped their season tickets at 29,000 in 2004. So, to say the Cubs have never sold out their season tickets is an inaccurate statement. Then again, compared to Tommy boy Charles Barkley wanna be, it's not as bad.

ESPN is too be ignored. Their sources from Chicago include the Trib and the Moron. Not exactly impartial news outlets. TNT does a much better job covering the NBA, and I'm not even a huge Charles Barkely fan. That should tell you something right there...

Dick Allen
03-16-2006, 05:06 PM
So let me get this straight. This dufus, who had what could be generously called an undistinguished NBA career, is now a baseball expert? The fact that he has a national audience on that joke of a network just perpetuates the media-driven myth about this town's fandom.

Beer Can Chicken
03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Look around, it IS a Cubs town. It's "cool" to be a Cubs fan. All most SOX fans do is complain about the media bias toward the Cubs, the attendance of the Cubs, the masses of 'sheep' that choose the Cubs. Look around, its obvious that it is a Cubs town.
On that note, who cares!? I like rooting for the team not everyone likes. I'd rather be known as the team where all the fans actually care about the game. If the Cubs are more popular, thats fine by me. We're World Champions and threatening to do it again. We'll see if its still a Cubs town after the SOX go back to back.

RKMeibalane
03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Pay no attention to ESPN. Ric Bucher has been spewing out countless trade rumors involving Kevin Garnett and star players on other teams. Last month, he was talking about Garnett landing in New York.

Now, he's talking about a Garnett/McGrady trade. His reasoning behind it is that neither player is a "good fit" for his team. The problem with his assesment is that McGrady has missed a good portion of this season because back problems, so there's no way to know how he fits with the current Rockets team.

There's also a rumor about Garnett being shipped to Boston for some of the Celtics young players. I've spent some time on a C's message board lately, and most of their fans want to see their young players develop. Danny Ainge was recently quoted as saying that he wanted to let the Celtics core group continue to grow together, which obviously can't happen if any of their players are moved.

Now, my head hurts.

fusillirob1983
03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Pay no attention to ESPN. Ric Bucher has been spewing out countless trade rumors involving Kevin Garnett and star players on other teams. Last month, he was talking about Garnett landing in New York.

I think Isiah is too dumb to get a player that would actually improve the team.

kittle42
03-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Look around, it IS a Cubs town. It's "cool" to be a Cubs fan. All most SOX fans do is complain about the media bias toward the Cubs, the attendance of the Cubs, the masses of 'sheep' that choose the Cubs. Look around, its obvious that it is a Cubs town.
On that note, who cares!? I like rooting for the team not everyone likes. I'd rather be known as the team where all the fans actually care about the game. If the Cubs are more popular, thats fine by me. We're World Champions and threatening to do it again. We'll see if its still a Cubs town after the SOX go back to back.

Ok, you are my new favorite poster. I agree 100%.

TheOldRoman
03-17-2006, 03:14 AM
My biggest problem was not him claiming it was a Cubs town, because clearly it is right now. Chicago is filled with morons; its baseball fans have shown recently that they pick a losing team. It is ridiculous to say it always will be a Cubs town, and even more ridiculous to claim it always has been one.
My biggest problem was him comparing the Sox to the hapless Clippers. Other than a few PR gaffes, the Sox have been extremely well run over the last 20 years. The Sox have the 3 or 4th best record in baseball over the last 15 years. The Clippers, on the other hand are a joke of an organization. They are the worst team in the NBA over the last 20 years. They inexplicably decided to move into LA in the middle of a Lakers dynasty, and compete with a team that had won 3 titles for the city over the last 25 years. The Sox are not going up against a winning tradition. They are going up against the biggest joke in professional sports; who's artificial popularity was created by their media conglomerate owners. The Sox got their own stadium built, and drew well several times over the last 15 years. The Clippers have played in a college barn and the stadium built for the Lakers (complete with purple seats). The Sox may not be the most popular team in their home town, but comparing them to the punchline that is the Clippers is just dumb.

palehozenychicty
03-17-2006, 08:55 AM
My biggest problem was him comparing the Sox to the hapless Clippers. Other than a few PR gaffes, the Sox have been extremely well run over the last 20 years. The Sox have the 3 or 4th best record in baseball over the last 15 years. The Clippers, on the other hand are a joke of an organization. They are the worst team in the NBA over the last 20 years. They inexplicably decided to move into LA in the middle of a Lakers dynasty, and compete with a team that had won 3 titles for the city over the last 25 years. The Sox are not going up against a winning tradition. They are going up against the biggest joke in professional sports; who's artificial popularity was created by their media conglomerate owners. The Sox may not be the most popular team in their home town, but comparing them to the punchline that is the Clippers is just dumb.

Indeed.

sullythered
03-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Tom Tolbert is a former horrible basketball player with a goofy haircut. He doesn't make any sense when he's talking basketball, let alone baseball. Anything he says is a non-issue.

DSpivack
03-19-2006, 11:25 PM
The Clippers are my favorite/ second favorite NBA team behind the Bulls (can't decide which I like more). If the Sox keep winning championships, they'll eventually be the #1 team in Chicago. If the Clips keep having a winning, solid team backed by Elton Brand, the least hyped NBA superstar, and the Lakers keep missing the playoffs but having 60 HR Sammy Sosa, I mean 35 ppg Kobe Bryant, then I think the Clips can actually be more popular, eventually. After all, Billy Crystal can't be wrong!

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2006, 05:49 AM
who the **** is tom tolbert?

better yet, who the **** cares?

white sox = 2005 world champs.

next.