PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/16/06

Hangar18
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Flubby injuries are the main topic, and questions are being raised as to the integrity of the Cubs organization, and rightfully so (I raised that flag years ago) Last nite on the Score, Will Carroll, the writer who originally broke the story that The Messiah was actually more hurt than the Cubs were letting on, said he couldnt believe the flak and the criticism he received for talking bad about the Cubs and accusing them of hiding information.(Hmmmmmmm, the Media loves the Cubs Mr. Carroll-they will not stand for anything negative nor let anyone else take their spotlite away).

The excellent hot point brought up by host Dan Jiggetts, was how Will Carroll was able to deduce this, when the Cubs have 2 main beat writers that cover (Looking directly at Paul Sullivan and Mike "Yellow" Kiley)them too and they werent able to procure this same information. Ive long long long ago said Kiley was nothing but a propoganda writer, and Sullivan is quickly following his lead.

In todays Trib, he gristles at the idea that he was actually lambasted by the Cubs organization and made to feel as if he were some internet web blogger. I think people now realize the power the Tribune has, as well as the disturbing love the media has for that other team.

The Trib today also gratuitiously reminds us that Carroll is a Cubs fan. You gotta love a guy who DOES HIS JOB.
In other propoganda, we get yet another Fluff Piece/"5 Tool Player" and "Superstar in the making" reference to north side prospect Pie.

Despite having won the World Series in October of 2005, the SOX are still not seeing the 4 times the Media Coverage as their 3rd place counterparts

Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
1 sox story
Chicago Sun-Times:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of Thurs March 16th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-Owned, 3rd Place in 05........ Cubs 85
Maligned, Unwashed, World Series Champions... SOX 89

mjharrison72
03-16-2006, 10:18 AM
This "Will Carroll is a Cubs fan and always had Mark Prior's best interests at heart" is such unparalleled tripe (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060315cubscarroll,1,7681853.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed). Every time I think the Tribune has hit a new low in terms of how far they'll stoop to make their baseball franchise look good, they stoop lower. It's sad, really.

WSox8404
03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
This "Will Carroll is a Cubs fan and always had Mark Prior's best interests at heart" is such unparalleled tripe (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060315cubscarroll,1,7681853.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed). Every time I think the Tribune has hit a new low in terms of how far they'll stoop to make their baseball franchise look good, they stoop lower. It's sad, really.

Pathetic is the better word.

Dan Mega
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Keep up the good work here Hangar. I have a feeling that couple of the Cubs apologists are getting closer to turning their back on the Cubune.

SOXPHILE
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM

While I tend to agree, Carroll also said the same thing himself yesterday on the Score with Buffone and Haugh. What was funny was how he had been sorta lambasted about his "sources" by the Cubs and others in the media, and he turned out to be right. They later asked George Offman about this, if he should have known SOMETHING about it, being he's in Arizona for 6 weeks covering the Cubs (and Sox) spring training, and yet he (and Paul Sullivan) got scooped by somebody who's not even a beat writer for the team.

CaptainBallz
03-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Wow. Probably the most unnecessary, gratuitous line one can possibly think of throwing into that article. The rest of the article is pretty damning, though. So I have to give the Trib credit for even highlighting the fact that the organization was snowballing everybody about the injury.

mantis1212
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
One correction I need to point out: The Flubs are the reigning 4TH PLACE team, not 3rd place. The Brewers were 3rd in the NLC last year.

Iwritecode
03-16-2006, 11:43 AM
One correction I need to point out: The Flubs are the reigning 4TH PLACE team, not 3rd place. The Brewers were 3rd in the NLC last year.

I guess Henry needs a disclaimer in every one of these threads.

He is comparing the coverage in ST this year (when the Sox are coming of a WS championship) with the coverage in ST last year (when the Cubs were coming of a 3rd place finish).

mjharrison72
03-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Wow. Probably the most unnecessary, gratuitous line one can possibly think of throwing into that article. The rest of the article is pretty damning, though. So I have to give the Trib credit for even highlighting the fact that the organization was snowballing everybody about the injury.
I have to point out, it wasn't a direct quote... that was the gist, though.

Again, it never ceases to amaze me that the Trib doesn't point out that it owns the Cubs in these sorts of articles.

Think what would happen if the Trib were reporting how it didn't disclose the information it knew about, say, a WB network actor's criminal past, and had attempted to refute a report from another journalist, then came out to say "Oh, the other paper was right about this guy's past" and didn't disclose that Tribune Co. is a co-owner of the WB network.

I don't know what makes the Cubs different.