PDA

View Full Version : Boone Logan

Lip Man 1
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
One of the few positives today after another outing where a Sox "pitcher" coughed up the lead in the 9th inning, has been the performance of Boone Logan.

Just my opinion but unless this kid implodes in the next two weeks or Kenny can pull off a couple trades and or waiver wire pickups (please...please!), I think he heads north with the big boys.

History shows guys like Mantei, Rodriguez and Jenks have been able to make the jump....perhaps Logan can as well.

For any who have been to Tuscon, what can you tell us about him? What does he throw, how does he handle himself on the mound?

If he does make the Sox, I hope Ozzie and Cooper will head the advice of Bob Shaw and only use this kid in non pressure situations until he can figure out what it's like to play in the big leagues.

Lip

KRS1
03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Him and Reynoso have impressed me quite a bit. Paulino has some wicked stuff, and is attacking the strike zone much better than when I saw him last October.
Logan has blown me away with his deadly spotting of his fastballs. He brings some good stuff up there too, with what looks to be a cutter(along with a 4-seamer) and a slider. How hard does he normally throw in the regular season? Because judging from his 88-90 fastball today I would say he has some more velocity in his pocket.

Here's what Futuresox had to say about him, glad I decided to check them out today!

"Boone Logan-Standing 6-5, Logan is an intimidating presence on the mound. A left-hander, he has made an impression in spring training this year and has pitched in major league games. His fastball tops out in the low 90s, but has a promising slider. With a funky delivery and three quarters arm slot, he looks like a situational lefty in the mold of Kelly Wunsch."

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Here's what Futuresox had to say about him, glad I decided to check them out today!

"Boone Logan-Standing 6-5, Logan is an intimidating presence on the mound. A left-hander, he has made an impression in spring training this year and has pitched in major league games. His fastball tops out in the low 90s, but has a promising slider. With a funky delivery and three quarters arm slot, he looks like a situational lefty in the mold of Kelly Wunsch."

Not too shabby for a converted catcher.:cool:

A. Cavatica
03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I just can't believe he's ready. Scott Radinsky made the jump from A ball, but he had been dominant in A ball. Logan was just mediocre. I don't want to see him fail, but let's revisit the subject after he has 15 innings under his belt.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-15-2006, 08:24 PM
FWIW (which is usually nothing), George Offman said on The Score today that "if Boone Logan makes the Opening Day roster, then the White Sox have some issues with their bullpen."

JB98
03-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I caught just a couple innings of the game today, one of which happened to be an inning Logan pitched. He retired the side in order, on about six pitches. All ground-ball outs. Two of them were left-handed hitters. Very impressive.

That's a lot different from Almanza's effort yesterday. Watching that guy pitch makes me want to hurl.

Ol' No. 2
03-15-2006, 09:22 PM
His fastball tops out in the low 90s, but has a promising slider. With a funky delivery and three quarters arm slot, he looks like a situational lefty in the mold of Kelly Wunsch."Lord help us.

SoxFan76
03-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Lord help us.

:?:

I liked Wunsch.

A. Cavatica
03-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Ditto, he'd have no trouble winning a job in this pen.

DMarte708
03-16-2006, 03:24 AM
FWIW (which is usually nothing), George Offman said on The Score today that "if Boone Logan makes the Opening Day roster, then the White Sox have some issues with their bullpen." Logan making the roster in itself isn't an indication of bullpen issues. Similar to Shingo's early work with this club, he'll be hidden from pressure situations. If he's successful in blowout games (which will probably be the circumstances he finds work intially), eventually, his role will become more significant.

Personally, I believe the true problem withour bullpen is replacing Hermanson. Now, if Logan and another relief pitcher from ST make the roster, THEN Offman could accurately suggest White Sox have problems.

I'm actually interested in what Boone offers our club the remaining ST games. It's almost unheard of for someone to have such a monumental jump from A ball to potential major league roster. Imagine draft picks in upcoming years realizing it's entirely possible to make the club within ONE year if the club has a need, and they possess the talent.

soxinem1
03-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Lord help us.

Hmmm, I think Wunsch makes this team, in this situation especially.

He wasn't bad, they got a lot more out of him than I ever thought they would. Ironically, Wunsch made it to the majors after drastically altering his delivery, though converting from a fielder (ala Mike MacDougal with KC) is more of a transition.

And as far as Logan making the team, I remember two lefties, one from A ball (Scott Radinsky) and the other from AA (Wayne Edwards) to be very key members of an excellent 1990 White Sox pitching staff.

Some guys have the 'stones', some don't.

soxfanatlanta
03-16-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know if it's been posted in another thread, but it looks like Logan is going to make the roster. Summary: he started off poorly in the rookie league, then altered his arm angle (Wunsch comparisons), and is pitching well enough in ST go head to Chicago come April. I use "well enough" as a relative term here.

Here is the Trib Story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0603160219mar16,1,1947687.story?coll=chi-sportswhitesox-hed)

DrCrawdad
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
One of the few positives today after another outing where a Sox "pitcher" coughed up the lead in the 9th inning, has been the performance of Boone Logan.

Just my opinion but unless this kid implodes in the next two weeks or Kenny can pull off a couple trades and or waiver wire pickups (please...please!), I think he heads north with the big boys.

History shows guys like Mantei, Rodriguez and Jenks have been able to make the jump....perhaps Logan can as well.

For any who have been to Tuscon, what can you tell us about him? What does he throw, how does he handle himself on the mound?

If he does make the Sox, I hope Ozzie and Cooper will head the advice of Bob Shaw and only use this kid in non pressure situations until he can figure out what it's like to play in the big leagues.

Lip

There is no stopping the Legend Of Boone Logan... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67344&highlight=Boone+Logan)

hold2dibber
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Lord help us.

Why the distaste for Wunsch? He was pretty good (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4279) for the Sox when healthy. I think he kind of got a raw deal from the Sox in the end. He wasn't great -- but we've seen much, much, much worse.

Corlose 15
03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Friday is a big day for the bullpen because Hermanson is supposed to throw after he's gotten his epideral. Hopefully everything goes well and we're only looking at 1 BP opening.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-16-2006, 09:24 AM
His pitching motion sort of reminds me of Radinsky -- he stands straight up and sort of leans off the mound to throw somewhere between 3/4 and sidearm.
He doesn't quite have the velocity Radinsky had, but so far he has thrown strikes and has not yielded too many hard-hit balls.
I agree that promoting someone straight from Class A to the majors is a big jump, but it is not without precedent (such as Radinsky and Dwight Gooden) and so far no one else has stepped up...

soxfanatlanta
03-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Friday is a big day for the bullpen because Hermanson is supposed to throw after he's gotten his epideral. Hopefully everything goes well and we're only looking at 1 BP opening.

I knew his back was ailing, but an epideral? Is this a normal treatment for ailing backs now? Last I checked my wife had one for a small problem called Labor pains, and she nearly ripped off my head during her 3rd major contraction. His back pain must be pretty bad.

White Sox Randy
03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Kelly "gasoline" Wunsch ? No thanks.

I would have no problem with taking Logan for this pen if Hermanson were healthy and we still had Vizcaino.

Since, Hermanson is clearly out and Viz is gone, we are down to 3 quality relievers and McCarthy. That's bad.

We need atleast one more serious relief pitcher in this pen.

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Why the distaste for Wunsch? He was pretty good (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4279) for the Sox when healthy. I think he kind of got a raw deal from the Sox in the end. He wasn't great -- but we've seen much, much, much worse.He was pretty good once through the league. That happens with funky deliveries. It didn't last, and once hitters found out he couldn't find the strike zone, it was over. When I think of Kelly Wunsch, I see him being brought in to get one batter, then storming off the mound after walking him on four pitches. Logan had better have more than a funky delivery or he'll be good for once or twice through the league and that's it.

WSox8404
03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Well according to the Cubune this morning in White Sox Bits, it seems like Logan is Ozzie's favorite right now. I just hope if it ends up being him he doesn't implode during the early stages of the season. Keep in mind he hasn't pitched in any league higher then A ball. This would be a HUGE jump.

russ99
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Well according to the Cubune this morning in White Sox Bits, it seems like Logan is Ozzie's favorite right now. I just hope if it ends up being him he doesn't implode during the early stages of the season. Keep in mind he hasn't pitched in any league higher then A ball. This would be a HUGE jump.

Nice write-up in the Times.

http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley16.html

If needed, I see this kid coming up north until the rest of the bullpen problems sort themselves out (maybe a trade?), and getting some MLB mop up experience before going back to the minors to further work on his game. Making the Opening Day roster is no guarantee of a roster spot, look at Shingo last year.

I subscribe to the theory that puting a kid in the bullpen often is better than overpaying some veteran with too many innings on his arm. Let's see what he can do.

miker
03-16-2006, 11:16 AM
He's got to be better than Tanyon Sturtze! :o:

KRS1
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
He was pretty good once through the league. That happens with funky deliveries. It didn't last, and once hitters found out he couldn't find the strike zone, it was over. When I think of Kelly Wunsch, I see him being brought in to get one batter, then storming off the mound after walking him on four pitches. Logan had better have more than a funky delivery or he'll be good for once or twice through the league and that's it.

Did you watch the game yesterday? He was nailing the catchers glove on every pitch. The lone pitch where he missed his spot was his last one where he left it a little over the middle and it was single over second( to Luis Gonzalez I believe, who just eats up Lefties, .380 last year). Hey, his stuff looks good with some great movement, and if he can keep that pinpoint control down I'd have no problem with him in our pen.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
he looks like a situational lefty in the mold of Kelly Wunsch."
I saw his first inning yesterday, and thought he looked more similar to Cotts.

KRS1
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I saw his first inning yesterday, and thought he looked more similar to Cotts.

Again those are futuresox words, not mine.

While Cotts does short-arm it, he is closer to a over the top-3/4 delivery, where as Boone is more of a 3/4-sidearm slingshot short-arm motion. His delivery is similar to Wunsch, but I think the writer was just trying to identify the closest person who Sox fans could relate him to, and not necessarily paint a perfect picture of him. His motion is very unique, but I would say he is closest to Fuentes as someone already mentioned.

Tekijawa
03-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Anybody named Boone Logan is good in my book, I saw him yesterday and thought he looked pretty solid... Then again I told my father-in-law last year after we signed Pierzynski that we were going to the World Series and look what happend there... We didn't just go, we WON! Boone, will be MY GUY this year... Can I join the FOBL?

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Did you watch the game yesterday? He was nailing the catchers glove on every pitch. The lone pitch where he missed his spot was his last one where he left it a little over the middle and it was single over second( to Luis Gonzalez I believe, who just eats up Lefties, .380 last year). Hey, his stuff looks good with some great movement, and if he can keep that pinpoint control down I'd have no problem with him in our pen.I haven't seen him yet. From all reports he and Reynoso are the only ones who look like they know what they're doing.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
but I would say he is closest to Fuentes as someone already mentioned.
http://www.greatfallswhitesox.com/archive/03pix/images/loganb.jpg looks like

http://www.davidvance.com/fuent.jpg

:?::?::?::?::?:

KRS1
03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
http://www.greatfallswhitesox.com/archive/03pix/images/loganb.jpg looks like

http://www.davidvance.com/fuent.jpg

:?::?::?::?::?:

Epepepepepep...... Hilarious.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Isn't she also a righty? :tongue:

maurice
03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I just can't believe he's ready. Scott Radinsky made the jump from A ball, but he had been dominant in A ball. Logan was just mediocre.

I agree. It would be an absolutely ridiculous leap from a mediocre performance in rookie ball / low-A ball to the MLB bullpen of the defending WS champs. If it's any indication how far off of the radar this kid was, the Trib called him "Logan Boone" and claimed that he already spent 3 years in AAA.
:rolleyes:

BTW, I saw him pitch in NC last year and saw him again in Tucson this spring. He looks the same. Good potential but not nearly enough experience.

Madvora
03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
If it's any indication how far off of the radar this kid was, the Trib called him "Logan Boone" and claimed that he already spent 3 years in AAA.
Well, they also called our starting short stop Jose Uribe for two years now. Oh and don't forget about Jose Vizcaino