PDA

View Full Version : Korea to throw the game?

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Does anybody think that Korea will throw today's WBC game just to keep the USA from advancing?

I don't for the following reasons:

1) Koreans generally hate the Japanese. Throwing the game puts Japan in and I doubt Korea wants to assist Japan.

2) It's unethical. A few years ago in a World Cup game two teams agreed to allow one more goal against each, keeping the result but advancing goals scored which would help both advance. When it came out I believe both teams were punished.

3) Team Korea was supposedly saving up their best pitchers for todays game.

4) Team Korea seems to think they can beat the Team USA fairly easily, but they are spooked by Team Japan. Hence helping a weaker team advance (by winning) gives them an edge in getting to the finals.

But I'll entertain other opinions.

NUCatsFan
03-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I'd be more concerned about the US winning today's game....

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd be more concerned about the US winning today's game....

Me too...seeing as how they are not playing today.:tongue:

skottyj242
03-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Me too...seeing as how they are not playing today.:tongue:

When do they play? I am really enjoying this tournament but it's terrible finding info on it. All I ever find is the tv schedule,no probables.

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I like Mexico's chances. For them to go through to the finals, Korea must beat Japan and Mexico must beat the USA 1-0 in 14 innings or more.

NUCatsFan
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
When do they play? I am really enjoying this tournament but it's terrible finding info on it. All I ever find is the tv schedule,no probables.

And wasn't the Asian first round like a week before the rest of the teams played? What's that about?

HotelWhiteSox
03-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I don't see this as a problem, for the first reason you listed, and since they were both in in the first round when they played each other and no one took it easy

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
And wasn't the Asian first round like a week before the rest of the teams played? What's that about?

That I happen to think was totally fair. It takes several days to readjust your schedule and avoid the jet lag involved in flying across the Pacific. I believe there's even a couple of days off for the teams in Peurto Rico to adjust to traveling to San Diego.

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 12:49 PM

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/schedule/index.jsp?sid=wbc

DSpivack
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Japan-Korea tonight...and it's NOT being televised live? Instead, we get to see NIT basketball. How exciting. :angry:

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I need to explain something here. My first point,

1) Koreans generally hate the Japanese. Throwing the game puts Japan in and I doubt Korea wants to assist Japan.

is just a statement of my opinion, although I believe it is based on fact. In my experience, Koreans and Japanese don't generally mix. Koreans still resent their 'colonization' by Japan and their treatment during WWII and even the Japanese government's attitudes since then. Even now, English expressions like, "so easy even a child can do it" are translated into Japanese as "stupid enough for a Korean." The last time I visited Japan I caught on cable TV a dubbed version of "To Kill a Mockingbird" (B/W with Gregory Peck.) The black characters among themselves spoke Korean.

The Japanese imported many thousand Koreans for hard labor and their descendants still live in Japan. These people feel discrimminated against, underrepresented in government and isolated. Things have moderately improved for them, but IMHO these are all still legitimate beefs. Koreans born in Japan are still not typically granted Japanese citizenship and must choose between South or North Korean citizenship. A majority still choose North Korean as a protest against the Japanese, who still have no official relations with North Korea.

I never meant to pass moral judgement on these feelings. I am just stating a point, which if I may clarify. "Most Koreans I have observed have a negative bias towards Japan and the Japanese."

Dadawg_77
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
I like Mexico's chances. For them to go through to the finals, Korea must beat Japan and Mexico must beat the USA 1-0 in 14 innings or more.

How does Mexico play game? Should they try not score till the 14th just not swing the bat so they are rested to play some defense?

Railsplitter
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Does anybody think that Korea will throw today's WBC game just to keep the USA from advancing?

I don't for the following reasons:

2) It's unethical. A few years ago in a World Cup game two teams agreed to allow one more goal against each, keeping the result but advancing goals scored which would help both advance. When it came out I believe both teams were punished.

3) Team Korea was supposedly saving up their best pitchers for todays game.

4) Team Korea seems to think they can beat the Team USA fairly easily, but they are spooked by Team Japan. Hence helping a weaker team advance (by winning) gives them an edge in getting to the finals.

But I'll entertain other opinions.

I agree, and will throw in another. Honor. It's an important concept in east Asia.

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 11:27 PM
It doesn't look like they are throwing it.

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 11:57 PM
2-1 win for Korea. I guess they didn't throw it.