PDA

View Full Version : How many wins will we have in 2006?

WhiteSoxFan84
03-15-2006, 04:59 AM
In your opinion, how many wins will the defending World Series Champion (I can't hear that enough) White Sox have?

I say between 96-100 wins, probably 98.

SOXSINCE'70
03-15-2006, 06:14 AM
I said somewhere between 91 and 95.

PAPChiSox729
03-15-2006, 06:51 AM
I really love this new team. Call me crazy but I'm going with 103.
:cool:

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I went with 91-95. This year's team is good but I don't believe they will have the record they had last year. The Sox wailed upon the AL Central last year. No doubt they will do the same but I just don't see them doing as well.

Prove me wrong, boys.:cool:

chisoxmike
03-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I mapped out 94 wins for a healthy team. Where that puts them at the end of the season remains to be seen.

chisoxmike
03-15-2006, 07:48 AM

You're crazy.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2006, 08:11 AM
More than Cleveland.

HomeFish
03-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Between 81 and 85. I simply don't think the pitching staff and bullpen can do it again, especially the bullpen. With Hermanson essentially out of commission, and at least one of Politte, Cotts, and Jenks not being able to match their carrer year last year, I don't think we hold as many close leads as we did.

White Sox Randy
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Between 81 and 85. I simply don't think the pitching staff and bullpen can do it again, especially the bullpen. With Hermanson essentially out of commission, and at least one of Politte, Cotts, and Jenks not being able to match their carrer year last year, I don't think we hold as many close leads as we did.

Over the last 6 seasons, the Sox have AVERAGED 87 WINS. This is clearly the best team of all. And, you think this is about a .500 team ?

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 08:22 AM

I think we need a visual aid to demonstrate this claim. If only someone could make a chart or something...

:rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2006, 08:30 AM

:darkcloud:

Why do you put yourself through this? Then again, the pessimist is never disappointed.

Of course Jenks had a "career" year! It was his first extended duty in the majors! And what made Politte and Cotts (and the rest of the bullpen) have so-called "career years" was the fact that the Sox starters pitched many more innings than the starters on most other teams. Consequently, Sox bullpen pitchers pitched fewer innings than the bullpen pitchers on other teams! Any bullpen will be better the fewer innings they have to pitch and the fewer batters they face! Replacing El Duque with Vazquez and putting McCarthy (who has demonstrated an ability to succeed as a STARTER against the very best MLB hitters) in the pen, I see no reason why the rest of the bullpen won't be even LESS exposed in 2006.

Also, by all accounts, A.J. had his "career worst" year at the plate. By all rights, his batting average should rebound while his power numbers continue to climb by playing so much at the Cell. Iguchi has a year of MLB experience under his belt. Konerko, Thome and Dye will see mutual benefits from hitting together in the lineup. No longer will pitchers be able to walk Konerko. Pods' injuries that slowed him in 2005 have been treated and healed. Uribe's learned patience at the plate.

I too have concerns about the bullpen and the bottom of the lineup for that matter. But the defense remains intact (with an upgrade in center field). We have a better, more versatile bench than last year. The top of the lineup is more powerful and more balanced. Finally, we have the very best starting rotation in the majors. Barring injury, I predict 96-100 wins.

palehozenychicty
03-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll say 94 to 95 wins. The team is better balanced this year, but the central is a tough division. I think the Tiggers and Twins will put up a better fight than last year, twins=pitching, tiggers=hitting. as for the injuns, they'll be good, but you can't be a better team when you lose millwood and add jason johnson. sorry.

soxfanatlanta
03-15-2006, 08:58 AM

http://www.acc.umu.se/%7Ecoppelia/images/poohpics/eeyore/eeyore_sad.gif
Damn, I thought I was a glasshalfempty guy. :smile:

Granted, I agree with your assertion that we will not hold as many close leads as last year. But with more pop in the lineup (Thome feeling frisky), there won't be as many one run leads to hold, eh?

Life is not a slow painful wait for death - the very existence of churros tells me this.

HomeFish
03-15-2006, 09:00 AM
[B]And what made Politte and Cotts (and the rest of the bullpen) have so-called "career years" was the fact that the Sox starters pitched many more innings than the starters on most other teams.

Yes, this is another cause of concern. The starters were worked a lot last year, and many of them pitched well over their historical norms.

Also, by all accounts, A.J. had his "career worst" year at the plate. By all rights, his batting average should rebound while his power numbers continue to climb by playing so much at the Cell. Iguchi has a year of MLB experience under his belt. Konerko, Thome and Dye will see mutual benefits from hitting together in the lineup. No longer will pitchers be able to walk Konerko. Pods' injuries that slowed him in 2005 have been treated and healed. Uribe's learned patience at the plate.

This I agree with; 2005 was a down year offensively for everyone except Podsednik and maybe Pablo Ozuna. So the offensive numbers should rebound. But 2005 has convinced me that pitching is what matters.

1951Campbell
03-15-2006, 09:09 AM
95 sounds about right.

HomeFish
03-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Over the last 6 seasons, the Sox have AVERAGED 87 WINS. This is clearly the best team of all. And, you think this is about a .500 team ?

I could see 87 wins. But to me, 81, 85, 87, is all sort of the same number. Decent, but not good enough.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, this is another cause of concern. The starters were worked a lot last year, and many of them pitched well over their historical norms.

Yes, the starters pitched a lot of innings. But none of them are classic power pitchers.

Also, consider this absurdly simple example that nevertheless will prove my point:

Under which scenario would a pitcher put more stress on his arm:

A. Throwing 110 pitches in five innings
B. Throwing 100 pitches in seven innings

Buehrle and Garland are efficient, ground ball generating pitchers who don't walk guys. Contreras and Garcia also have learned that it's OK for the bat to hit the ball and for the defense to make the out. Vazquez has been an ironman over the past several seasons. Just because they pitched lots of innings doesn't necessarily mean they put more stress on their arms; the key is the number of pitches they threw, how much stress their individual throwing motions put on each of them, and what kind of off-season training regimen each has employed under the direction of Herm Schneider and Don Cooper.

Teams that go deep into October often reveal the strain the next season. But so far, so good with the Sox's four primary starters from 2005óMark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras. Maybe that's because they had only five 120-pitch starts between them a year ago, the most extended of which was a 123-pitch outing by Garland. Guillen manages his resources...
Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060314rogers,1,4417550.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed)

Bottom line? High inning counts alone are little cause for concern.

Minnie Me
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
I voted for 87 victories on the following basis:

A) Potential weak outfield, issues with health and production
B) Potential lack of Bullpen depth
C) Mental issues with repeating after WS Championship
D) Lack of Willie Harris and his leadership

Unless Kenny makes a deal to address A and C we will fall short of last year IMHO.

TomBradley72
03-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I said 95.

Where they have improved:

Starting pitching: 5th starter is major upgrade (Vazquez over El Duque)
Bench: Machowiak/Cintron over Blum/Harris
DH- Thome over Everett/ThomasWhere they have risk:

Bullpen: Replacing Vizcaino/Hermanson/Marte w/MacCarthy/???/???
Overall health: Pods/Crede/law of averages
General difficulty with repeating

spiffie
03-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I voted for 87 victories on the following basis:

D) Lack of Willie Harris and his leadership
This has been my biggest concern all winter.

I voted 91-95. I can't see them starting off as insanely hot as last year, nor having quite as rough a patch as August was. I figure 94 or so wins, plenty to get into the playoffs and make a proper defense of our title.

tebman
03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I think we need a visual aid to demonstrate this claim. If only someone could make a chart or something...

:rolling:

Baby Fisk
03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm with you, Pap. Same number. Go big or go freakin home! Now is not the time to think small!

103. :bandance:

White Sox Randy
03-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Has anyone bothered to look at the holes on all of the other teams ?

96 wins !

soxfan13
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
150-12

Chicken Dinner
03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
6 in spring training.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
150-12

I might break the .500 mark in attendance if that were the case.

Dan H
03-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I voted 91-95, but I actually think 95 will be the minimum. When you win the World Series, you simply know to win the close games. And the Sox will win their share. The only team that truly scares me is Cleveland, but I think the Indians have to prove they can do it for a whole season. Many teams can get hot, real hot for a month. That late September melt down has to leave people wondering. So who is going to stop the Sox?

ondafarm
03-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I voted 91-95. The Sox did catch some breaks last year but are essentially a very solid team. We didn't run into anyone who was on a solid tear and that part is luck. Sometimes a team that is hot can knock off a much better team 3 outta 4 or 5 outta 6 (between two series.) It didn't happen last year but odds are it will happen sometime. This would reduce the Sox win total a few games, but still leave the Sox winning the ALCD.

pythons007
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
162-0 Someone said think big or go home. I'm going for the first undeafted season in baseball!!!:D:

gobears1987
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
We're a better team than last year, how the hell will we win less than 95 games?

gobears1987
03-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Between 81 and 85. I simply don't think the pitching staff and bullpen can do it again, especially the bullpen. With Hermanson essentially out of commission, and at least one of Politte, Cotts, and Jenks not being able to match their carrer year last year, I don't think we hold as many close leads as we did.I think now would be a good time to start he 2006 Homefish dark clouds thread.

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Oh heck, I'll just make my own:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9999/sox8fn.jpg

By my estimate, the Sox will win more games than they even play starting in 2009.

Man, its going to be awesome in the coming years...

DaleJRFan
03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
108 regular season wins + 11 post season wins.

moochpuppy
03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
91 to 95 which should just be enough again to the win the division.

CaptainBallz
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Oh heck, I'll just make my own:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9999/sox8fn.jpg

By my estimate, the Sox will win more games than they even play starting in 2009.

Man, its going to be awesome in the coming years...

Logical and scientifically sound. Go Sox!

downstairs
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I looked at the schedule, and on every game, compared whether or not the Sox or the opponent had won the World Series in the past year.

Thus, I have concluded they will go 161-1.

They will lose one on purpose, after clinching in July, to give themselves something to strive for in 2007.

santo=dorf
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
174. The all-star game will feature nothing but Sox players.

Who voted for less than 81? :dtroll: :dtroll:

Jjav829
03-15-2006, 02:04 PM
62. :(:

For the following reasons:
- Willie Harris and his great dugout play-by-play are gone; An integral part of last year's team.
- Geoff Blum's hair is gone.
- We don't have Aaron Rowand smashing into walls anymore.
- Timo Perez, with his great first base defense, is playing with the Reds.
- We don't have that trusty left-hander with ice in his veins who can come out of the pen in late game and shut down the other team like Damaso Marte used to do.

:fireozzie

Do not reply with the teal police picture. I left out the teal to make it more subtle.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
- We don't have that trusty left-hander with ice in his veins who can come out of the pen in late game and shut down the other team like Damaso Marte used to do.

Yes. Marte will be the biggest loss. No longer do the Sox have a left-hander to summon when the situation clearly calls for:

A. putting an opposing runner in scoring position;
B. surrendering the "unintentional intentional walk" or "unintentional intentional HBP;"
C. a wild pitch;
D. loading the bases;
E. any of the above to surrender a run
F. all of the above
:)

moochpuppy
03-15-2006, 03:04 PM

- Willie Harris and his great dugout play-by-play are gone; An integral part of last year's team.

Don't forget about no team leadership. :rolleyes:

Railsplitter
03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
111. 100 regular season, 11 post season

Baby Fisk
03-15-2006, 03:37 PM

This is no joking matter! Don't you know my stomach is in knots right now? I can barely eat or drink from worry. This is the worst spring training in team history! We are a laughingstock of baseball, and they're all gonna laugh at us! They! Them!

itsnotrequired
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
This is no joking matter! Don't you know my stomach is in knots right now? I can barely eat or drink from worry. This is the worst spring training in team history! We are a laughingstock of baseball, and they're all gonna laugh at us! They! Them!

Take a look at my chart and put your mind at ease. Do not question it!

DumpJerry
03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Homefish and Minnie are real interesting case studies if they believe their pessimitic posts.

I think Homefish is the guy who wins $350,000,000 in the lottery and responds with "Darn! The tax bill will be sky high!":cool:

I voted over 105. There were at least 10 games last year we lost we could have won (a certain evening in Oakland comes to mind.....). This year's team is more well rounded and should do a better job of Getting It Done.

Ok, enough of this...let's bring it on! April 2!

PKalltheway
03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I honestly think the Defending World Champion Chicago White Sox will win about 91-95 games this year. Even though I think the White Sox have the best shot to repeat as World Champions this year, they won't dominate the A.L. like they did last year but it will still be a good year. As for the people who said the White Sox will win "only" 87 games or something of that nature, that's ok. There are two reasons why that's ok.
1987 Minnesota Twins: 85 wins- WON WORLD SERIES
2000 New York Yankees: 87 wins- WON WORLD SERIES
Honestly...it is still very, very possible to win the World Series with under 90 wins especially with the Wild Card. Take it easy on the guys a little.:smile: We're still better than the Twins and the Indians. Even if we win just 87 games, we can still finish three or four games up on Cleveland and Minnesota. In my opinion though, we're better than 87 wins. 91-95 for me!!!:cool:

gbergman
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM
0 lucky to win one

dlee120
03-16-2006, 01:22 AM
This has been my biggest concern all winter.

I voted 91-95. I can't see them starting off as insanely hot as last year, nor having quite as rough a patch as August was. I figure 94 or so wins, plenty to get into the playoffs and make a proper defense of our title.

you can't go 91-95 in a MLB season! There are only 162 games! I'm sorry, I am drunk.

I voted for 95-100 wins...if that is an actual choice in this multiple choice selection......oh boy.

atleast i didnt swear like soxintheburgh in his so-called drunken rambling.

p.s. happy Bday soxintheburgh

Rooney4Prez56
03-16-2006, 11:12 AM
More than Cleveland.

That's all we need.

I say we'll break 100 this year.

chisox77
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Last year, I predicted that the Sox would win 93 or 94 (99 actual)

This year, they will break the century mark with 103.

Reasons:

*The team's real leadership was kept
*Improved offense (more power)
*Better Bench with better hitters and more options for Ozzie to use
*Bullpen just as good, IMHO
*Starting rotation even more solid
*Sox are still hungry to win, which offsets the stress and fatigue to repeat
*Experience of winning the World Series has tremendous value
*If the need arises, KW will make the necessary deal to make sure the Sox are in position to repeat

Total Wins for 2006 Season: 114
The White Sox will earn back to back World Series Titles

KRS1
03-16-2006, 03:02 PM

soxfan26
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
94 wins in the regular seaon to Cleveland's 88.

SoLongFrank
03-16-2006, 03:49 PM
They are sure to have an August funk again to keep them from 100 wins. But the pitching is stronger than ever with the addition of Vazquez. That definitely puts them in WC div-winner range at the start. That's 95-100.

Put it this way. Vazquez is capable of being the best pitcher on the team. If he just repeats his 2004 he's good enough to be #3 on this team. That means the White Sox can afford Contra & Garland to slide back to being an effective #4 & #5.

There's not a deeper team pitching wise than the White Sox & you'd be crazy to think that every other AL club will keep their rotation & pen healthy all year. Everyone suffers injuries at times these days.

SBSoxFan
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Based on the Pythagorean Win Formula, the White Sox expected wins for 2006 is undefined at this time since they have neither scored nor allowed any runs yet during the regular season. This estimate will, however, change dramatically after April 2nd. :rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
11-01-2006, 11:03 AM
TIME TO LOOK BACK AT LAST OFFSEASON! lol

Wow, one more win and the majority pick would have been correct. I voted for 96-100 wins. If I was only right... :(:

itsnotrequired
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
TIME TO LOOK BACK AT LAST OFFSEASON! lol

Wow, one more win and the majority pick would have been correct. I voted for 96-100 wins. If I was only right... :(:

I went with the 91-95 win choice. They could have easily done it if nor for the clowning it at the end of the season.

I want Mags back
11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
More than Cleveland.

well that happened, but look what happened

Hangar18
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
its kind of eerie, to see who was right in this poll, especially the reasons.

chisoxmike
11-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I went with the 91-95 option. I was shocked to see how many people voted 100+ in March.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
86-90

I thought the White Sox would win 90 and it would be enough for the division.

I wish I was right about the later portion. :(:

DumpJerry
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Homefish and Minnie are real interesting case studies if they believe their pessimitic posts.

I think Homefish is the guy who wins $350,000,000 in the lottery and responds with "Darn! The tax bill will be sky high!":cool:

I voted over 105. There were at least 10 games last year we lost we could have won (a certain evening in Oakland comes to mind.....). This year's team is more well rounded and should do a better job of Getting It Done.

Ok, enough of this...let's bring it on! April 2!
:redface:
Well, I could get a job as an ESPN Analyst. I'm just as accurate.

PKalltheway
11-01-2006, 03:51 PM
86-90

I thought the White Sox would win 90 and it would be enough for the division.

I wish I was right about the later portion. :(:
Don't worry. The thing is, NOBODY thought Detroit was going to be that good this year. If you were to tell not just a Sox fan, but ANYBODY, that Detroit was going to finish with 95 wins this year, people would have laughed in your face. Everybody thought it was going to come down to the Sox and Indians, with the Twins being the darkhorse. Nobody saw Detroit coming, NOBODY.

The thing that spooked me out was my post saying that it was possible to win the World Series with less than 90 regular-season wins. Oh, how right I was there!:o: