PDA

View Full Version : Tribune subscriber = Cub Supporter ?

theoakwoody
03-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Not that I'm really that concerned but does my subscription to the Trib somehow make me anti-Sox? I grew up with the Trib so maybe its just a sentimental thing. I used to keep all the old front pages from when the Bulls won and the Sox won the division. I'd always have to fight my dad for a portion of the Sports section at the breakfast table. Our neighbors, big Cub fans, always got the Sun Times and we would get a free issue from time to time. My dad wouldn't even look at it but I'd leaf through it. I think I prefer the sections as opposed to having to hold the entire paper just to read the sports. Thank God I don't have to avoid reading Marrioti everyday. So basically I'm asking what paper you guys prefer and should I consider something else.

kittle42
03-15-2006, 12:57 AM
I would suggest the Boca Breeze, the official newsletter of Del Boca Vista, Phase Three.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-15-2006, 01:08 AM
no it doesn't. relax

cheeses_h_rice
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
The Tribune Corp. owns the Cubs, so any money that flows into their coffers can't hurt the Cubs, let's put it that way.

Personally, I just read my news on the web for free and don't give my money to either the Cubune or the Sun-Times. If the Sox make the playoffs again in 2006, I'll plunk down my 50 cents for a copy of the paper then. 'Til then both papers can bite me.

ewokpelts
03-15-2006, 01:21 AM
the sox use the tribune...
the trib used to SPONSOR half price mondays back in the day
i also got an email ad from the tribune...selling...you guessed it...sox group tickets....

Gene

voodoochile
03-15-2006, 01:28 AM
The Tribune Corp. owns the Cubs, so any money that flows into their coffers can't hurt the Cubs, let's put it that way.

Personally, I just read my news on the web for free and don't give my money to either the Cubune or the Sun-Times. If the Sox make the playoffs again in 2006, I'll plunk down my 50 cents for a copy of the paper then. 'Til then both papers can bite me.

Cheeses... Working the boycott...

AWESOME!!! :D:

You know when I put up this stuck thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58956) last fall, I was cautiously optimistic it would actually make a difference. The immediate rise it got from trib staffers was proof that WSI and Sox fans can make a difference. I have no idea if it hit them as hard as I wanted to, but always remember we can make a difference. The point is to hit them where it hurts and big corporations only understand one thing - $$$.

1.75 million hits a day during the playoffs. WSI has a voice, Sox fans can make a difference.

Chisox003
03-15-2006, 01:46 AM

You know when I put up this stuck thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58956) last fall, I was cautiously optimistic it would actually make a difference. The immediate rise it got from trib staffers was proof that WSI and Sox fans can make a difference. I have no idea if it hit them as hard as I wanted to, but always remember we can make a difference. The point is to hit them where it hurts and big corporations only understand one thing - $$$.

1.75 million hits a day during the playoffs. WSI has a voice, Sox fans can make a difference. I read the damn thing for free, and that's only because there's no better options at school.

Otherwise, I wouldn't (and don't) sink a dime of my own into this poop.

And the only way I'm ever buying another Chicago paper again is if the Sox are celebrating on the cover at some point 7 months from now. I wish all Sox fans would consider doing the same. Ditto for AM radio.

Your days will be brighter, and that's a guarantee.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-15-2006, 02:00 AM

1.75 million hits a day during the playoffs. WSI has a voice, Sox fans can make a difference.

What is this Chicago Tribune you mention?

Fair Disclosure - I do read Kass' column online (Kass is a contraction of Kick ass!).

I read the The Wall Street Journal, Drudge Report news links and The Washington Times via the internet for news. I read White Sox Interactive, whitesox.com, Roto Times and Hardball Times for White Sox / MLB news (The Sporting News was excellent until they replaced majority baseball coverage for other sports and The National was as well until they folded).

I haven't bought a Tribune or Sun Times for over a decade (with the exception of a few copies of the Times after the World Series for a keepsake) nor do I plan to in the future (and based on circulation figures - the corrected ones - I am one of thousands eschewing their rag). The fact that the Tribune is harassing this website (based on what Daver posted regarding linking Tribune pictures here) makes me even more anti Tribune.

voodoochile
03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
I haven't bought a Tribune or Sun Times for over a decade (with the exception of a few copies of the Times after the World Series for a keepsake) nor do I plan to in the future (and based on circulation figures - the corrected ones - I am one of thousands eschewing their rag). The fact that the Tribune is harassing this website (based on what Daver posted regarding linking Tribune pictures here) makes me even more anti Tribune.
It's funny you mention that. People think they can make things work according to the way the legal world wants them to. Then there's reality. Sure, we won't allow any more linking of Trib photos, but do the powers that be think that makes them MORE popular to Sox fans who visit this site (a number that grows larger with each and every day)?

Winning the battles and losing the war...:rolleyes:

No worries. They are the big guys, WSI and our ever growing group of posters is just a passing fancy. Surely things will go back to the way they used to be when major media conglomerates told the only truth worth reading...

Oh well, it takes time for those with power to adapt to the realities of the world. They never seem to get it until it is too late.

Oh and I wasn't trying to imply that my thread was the reason many people don't read the Trib. For you and others like you, it is a long time thing. For all I know Cheeses stopped before I suggested it. It matters not whether people did it because I suggested it or because they were ahead of the curve. The point is to make them stand up and take notice of us. We have a voice. We have a presence. We have power. We can be heard. That is all that matters.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-15-2006, 04:13 AM
It's funny you mention that. People think they can make things work according to the way the legal world wants them to. Then there's reality. Sure, we won't allow any more linking of Trib photos, but do the powers that be think that makes them MORE popular to Sox fans who visit this site (a number that grows larger with each and every day)?

Winning the battles and losing the war...:rolleyes:

The NHL continues to block the CBC's airing of NHL highlights during their online link to Coach's Corner (you hear Don Cherry discuss the play but a big CBC logo blocks the action due to the NHL ordering the site to block game / highlight feed) even though the CBC owns on air broadcasting rights. I could see not allowing internet broadcasts of games if they were not negotiated but 10 second clips from an achieve of a show the CBC already pays the NHL to broadcast is short sighted. The NHL should be seeking ways to reach new fans.

I don't know the Tribune's policy. If they block all sites linking of photos without giving credit to the Tribune or all in general (with or without photo credit) it is one thing. If the decision was based on anti Cub / Tribune sentiment found in a handful threads on this site, that is truly shortsighted and penny wise, pound foolish.

tebman
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Oh well, it takes time for those with power to adapt to the realities of the world. They never seem to get it until it is too late.

Oh and I wasn't trying to imply that my thread was the reason many people don't read the Trib. For you and others like you, it is a long time thing. For all I know Cheeses stopped before I suggested it. It matters not whether people did it because I suggested it or because they were ahead of the curve. The point is to make them stand up and take notice of us. We have a voice. We have a presence. We have power. We can be heard. That is all that matters.
The Tribune's problem is that it's so deeply impressed with itself that it can't understand what we're talking about when we complain about its conflicts of interest and its arrogance. The blind spot it has regarding the ownership of the Cubs is the most glaring symptom of that problem: "Get a grip," writes Don Wycliff in response to one of those questions. "You're insane," writes Rick Morrissey in response to more of those questions. And George Knue tells us in posts here that he is "amazed" at what we say about the Tribune's shilling for the Cubs.

All of this would be comical if it wasn't for the fact that the Tribune dominates the Chicago media business. Sure, the company is in a rough patch at the moment with a dip in ad sales and circulation, but they'll make it up through investments in the couple dozen TV stations it owns and the money machine that is WGN radio, as well as Chicago magazine and the Spanish-language papers it's invested in.

The Cubs are comic relief, but they're a symptom. We're doing a public service by pointing out the larger implications of the Tribune's appetite for local dominance.

ewokpelts
03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
The NHL continues to block the CBC's airing of NHL highlights during their online link to Coach's Corner (you hear Don Cherry discuss the play but a big CBC logo blocks the action due to the NHL ordering the site to block game / highlight feed) even though the CBC owns on air broadcasting rights. I could see not allowing internet broadcasts of games if they were not negotiated but 10 second clips from an achieve of a show the CBC already pays the NHL to broadcast is short sighted. The NHL should be seeking ways to reach new fans.

I don't know the Tribune's policy. If they block all sites linking of photos without giving credit to the Tribune or all in general (with or without photo credit) it is one thing. If the decision was based on anti Cub / Tribune sentiment found in a handful threads on this site, that is truly shortsighted and penny wise, pound foolish.
the nhl thing is funny, considering that comcast lets me watch games for free online(thier choices)
Gene

Clembasbal
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I would suggest the Boca Breeze, the official newsletter of Del Boca Vista, Phase Three.

As long as you don't walk anywhere in the building without shoes on, you are not supporting the Cubs.

Railsplitter
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I never thought that chewing Wrigley's gum made me a Cubs supporter, so why should sunsribing to the Tib make me one?