PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/14/06

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
The Chicago Media for some reason really wants to fuel the very negatively charged "Thomas vs. Sox" war of the words battle. As most SOX fans know, It really wasnt a war-of-words, but more the Media trying to bait SOX fans, Frank Thomas, and Kenny Williams (and Kenny took the bait-dummy). After Thomas' words were taken out of context last week and Kenny made himself look bad by losing his temper, the media continued to run with this "story", and Frank/Kenny agreed to not talk about it.

The Trib tries to police itself by calling out The Messiah and his fake press conference yesterday.

Unfortuneately, with only 2 weeks left in spring training, the SOX do not look like they are going take the huge 4-1 spring training story lead that the other team has enjoyed the last couple of decades despite having won Nothing.

Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of Tues March 14th, 2006

Priviledged, Mega-Corporation, Media-Owned... Cubs 71
Maligned, Underdog, World Champion ............ SOX 79

NoNeckEra
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
None of the above

SOXPHILE
03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I was kind of wondering about this myself. "Truce in Thomas vs Sox battle". So, what is this, the 5th time they've rehashed the same story over the last couple of weeks, even though NOTHING as happened ? Are we going to be treated to a "Thomas-Sox Feud Watch" this summer ?

-June 8th: According to unnamed Tribune sources, former Sox slugger and clubhouse cancer, Frank Thomas, recently told several Oakland teamates during a post-game clubhouse buffet, that the shrimp sandwiches and cold cuts were much better than the ones that had been served on several occasions in the White Sox clubhouse while he was a member of the southsiders. Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams could not be reached for comment.

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I was kind of wondering about this myself. "Truce in Thomas vs Sox battle". So, what is this, the 5th time they've rehashed the same story over the last couple of weeks, even though NOTHING as happened ? Are we going to be treated to a "Thomas-Sox Feud Watch" this summer ?

-June 8th: According to unnamed Tribune sources, former Sox slugger and clubhouse cancer, Frank Thomas, recently told several Oakland teamates during a post-game clubhouse buffet, that the shrimp sandwiches and cold cuts were much better than the ones that had been served on several occasions in the White Sox clubhouse while he was a member of the southsiders. Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams could not be reached for comment.

Instead of doing a story on how SOX tickets have sold the fastest in Team history, or the State of Arizona is celebrating the White Sox, or how Ryan Sweeney grew up liking the White Sox, or how fan buzz is at an all-time high, or even started tampering on behalf of the SOX and questioning other teams players on what it would be like to play for the SOX, or talk about how the TNA wrestling association has partnered with the SOX all season long .............. No. Lets just talk about Thomas "shooting his mouth" off when thats now what he was doing.

CHISOXFAN13
03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Instead of doing a story on how SOX tickets have sold the fastest in Team history, or the State of Arizona is celebrating the White Sox, or how Ryan Sweeney grew up liking the White Sox, or how fan buzz is at an all-time high, or even started tampering on behalf of the SOX and questioning other teams players on what it would be like to play for the SOX, or talk about how the TNA wrestling association has partnered with the SOX all season long .............. No. Lets just talk about Thomas "shooting his mouth" off when thats now what he was doing.

How many times do you want to hear about the tickets? That storyline has been covered.

Sheesh.

Cat Thief
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
None of the above

My thoughts exactly.

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 12:28 PM
How many times do you want to hear about the tickets? That storyline has been covered.

Sheesh.

well, if were going to hear about how the cubs tickets sold so fast, why not talk about how we sold so many tickets so fast also? fair is fair right?

thepaulbowski
03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
well, if were going to hear about how the cubs tickets sold so fast, why not talk about how we sold so many tickets so fast also? fair is fair right?

They already have.

ChiSoxLifer
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
I want an article regarding our "personable" lineup and how the White Sox are no longer playing "under the radar" since they play in such a big city.

C-Dawg
03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
.............. No. Lets just talk about Thomas "shooting his mouth" off when thats now what he was doing.

Maybe they already had the articles written a year ago and just now replaced the name "Ordonez" with "Thomas".

CHISOXFAN13
03-14-2006, 02:44 PM

You must have missed this one then:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix18.html

or these:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0602180119feb18,1,5687823.story

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix24.html
[/URL]
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/17-ds2.htm

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these links.
[URL="http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix18.html"] (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix24.html)

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
You must have missed this one then:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix18.html

or these:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0602180119feb18,1,5687823.story

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-soxtix24.html

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/17-ds2.htm

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these links.

thats all? I was hoping I missed about 10 or 11 stories/references.

CHISOXFAN13
03-14-2006, 03:24 PM
thats all? I was hoping I missed about 10 or 11 stories/references.

Um, how many different angles can you find on ticket sales. Come on. You are really stretching it with this one, and that's saying something.

kittle42
03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I refrain from comment, unless my refrain is in some way a comment itself.

onesox
03-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Chicago NewsMedia Watch 03/15/05 I missed monday, but dont worry everyone, here are the totals
for the last 2 days.
Monday saw both papers give the teams "equal" coverage, 4-4 (91-74)
but that slides by the wayside as news of The Messiahs injury trumps all other
coverage. The Cub-Times today even gives The Messiah the Entire
Back Page for good measure ........

Cubune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories

CUBS 98
SOX 78

As you can see there was never a 4-1 margin in stories Hangar. Not even a 2-1 margin. Stop Hallucinating !!!!!!

Lip Man 1
03-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hangar has already admitted that a 4-1 ratio was his perception of the amount of coverage the Cubs got but he has no definate way of knowing.

Yet he insists on this figure for 'fairness' sake.

:?:

Hangar let's be grateful for what we can get. Just keep winning, keep getting back to the post season and eventually things will sort themselves out.

Lip

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Um, how many different angles can you find on ticket sales. Come on. You are really stretching it with this one, and that's saying something.

This is an actual quote: "Pierres first few months as a Cub have been eye-opening. The Marlins drew only 800,000 fans as recently as 2002......Pierre could hardly believe it when he learned the Cubs had sold nearly 600,000 tickets in one day last week"

Or, how about this ... "Pierre is accomodating and polite and prefers to fade into the woodwork, but thats probably not going to be possible, playing in front of 40,000 people every day"

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Hangar has already admitted that a 4-1 ratio was his perception of the amount of coverage the Cubs got but he has no definate way of knowing.

Yet he insists on this figure for 'fairness' sake.

:?:

Hangar let's be grateful for what we can get. Just keep winning, keep getting back to the post season and eventually things will sort themselves out.

Lip

Well, Its going to be hard to come to terms with Winning = Equal Coverage when Bad Baseball = 4 times the coverage previously. Now the Media wants to change the rules apparently ............

CHISOXFAN13
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM
This is an actual quote: "Pierres first few months as a Cub have been eye-opening. The Marlins drew only 800,000 fans as recently as 2002......Pierre could hardly believe it when he learned the Cubs had sold nearly 600,000 tickets in one day last week"

Or, how about this ... "Pierre is accomodating and polite and prefers to fade into the woodwork, but thats probably not going to be possible, playing in front of 40,000 people every day"

You asked for White sox ticket stories, and I provided them. Stop being Flubsessed. What do the links I posted about the Sox have to do with Juan ****ing Pierre?

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 03:54 PM
You asked for White sox ticket stories, and I provided them. Stop being Flubsessed. What do the links I posted about the Sox have to do with Juan ****ing Pierre?

Juan Pierre vs Constant Ticket Sale/Attendance references ....or do I have to keep spelling that out to you? Plus, you only provided 3 sox ticket stories. I would think a team that has never done that in their history would warrant more coverage of that fact ................but alas, we should let the Trib off the hook? NO.

CHISOXFAN13
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Juan Pierre vs Constant Ticket Sale/Attendance references ....or do I have to keep spelling that out to you? Plus, you only provided 3 sox ticket stories. I would think a team that has never done that in their history would warrant more coverage of that fact ................but alas, we should let the Trib off the hook? NO.

They wrote a story about it, so we aren't letting anyone off the hook.

I'm done with this thread. You live in a feeeking fantasy world.

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
They wrote a story about it, so we aren't letting anyone off the hook.

I'm done with this thread. You live in a feeeking fantasy world.

Fine. You keep looking the other way, maybe the TRIB will come around right?

kittle42
03-14-2006, 05:35 PM
My head hurts.

"Correcting" slanted coverage in the past by slanting coverage the other way corrects nothing.

Putting 10 stories about the Sox in the paper while having only one on the Cubs is not a good thing.

Putting 10 stories about the Cubs in the paper while having only one on the Sox is not a good thing.

Putting 5 stories about the Sox in the paper while also having 5 on the Cubs is a fair thing.

Not every story about the Sox is the most important because they won the World Series.

Not every story about the Cubs is the most important because they are "more popular."

Not every Cubs story is spun positive. Most stories are just stories.

Not every Sox story is spun negative. Most stories are just stories.

At the end of the season, it is highly likely the team that performs the best will have had more press coverage. Not a ton more, just more. That is fair. It is unfortunate it took the Sox winning a World Series to bring about fairness in journalistic coverage. But that's what happened, and it's the right thing, finally.

My prediction: no one will address any of this and wackiness will ensue.

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 05:38 PM
My head hurts.

"Correcting" slanted coverage in the past by slanting coverage the other way corrects nothing.

Putting 10 stories about the Sox in the paper while having only one on the Cubs is not a good thing.

Putting 10 stories about the Cubs in the paper while having only one on the Sox is not a good thing.

Putting 5 stories about the Sox in the paper while also having 5 on the Cubs is a fair thing.

Not every story about the Sox is the most important because they won the World Series.

Not every story about the Cubs is the most important because they are "more popular."

Not every Cubs story is spun positive. Most stories are just stories.

Not every Sox story is spun negative. Most stories are just stories.

At the end of the season, it is highly likely the team that performs the best will have had more press coverage. Not a ton more, just more. That is fair. It is unfortunate it took the Sox winning a World Series to bring about fairness in journalistic coverage. But that's what happened, and it's the right thing, finally.

.......and when I get to the last line, is why I remember why I like this guy

maurice
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM

:D:

:hawk
"I LOVE it when wackiness ensues, DJ."

kittle42
03-14-2006, 10:00 PM
.......and when I get to the last line, is why I remember why I like this guy

I try, Henry.