PDA

View Full Version : Went to US/korea WBC game

gbergman
03-14-2006, 02:32 AM
What a blast. Game wasn't so good as you US got walloped but it was fun to watch. Especially when the USA chants started the half full stadium got pretty loud. I sat right behind the US bullpen and got to talk to a couple players. Joe Nathan of twinkies and brad lidge of the astros came to the BP about 30 minutes before the game with Michael Barrett of the Cubs. Basically with Lidge it was the best he came up while I was having a quick talk with Nathan about what he thought his chances were for the twins which he smiled and said they'll be better. Brad came over looked up, and i said "your my hero brad," and he smiled. I was wearing my world series champs shirt and hat. He said i bet i am to you and chicago, and i told him not to worry if he gets in there are no scott podsedniks on there team and he smiled shook his head and nathan gave a little chuckle. Then i said good luck tonight and this season your good guys and let them get to work, which was sitting on the bench.

And I know this may shock some of you but I sat next to 3 cub fans who saw my sox gear and congragulated me on being a fan of a world series winner. They were in their 30's and were transplanted out here from Chi. north side. said they wished their cubbies could get their act together and pull a championship out of their ass. They said are tired of losing. So not all are fond of losing.

So basically the WBC kicks butt. I hope it comes back 4 years from now, or hope if the US goes to the championship i can get tickets.

mjharrison72
03-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Cool story... I bet Lidge is a good guy, but I thought it was just about the greatest, most poetic thing ever when the Fox announcers were saying he would be able to shake off the game 5 homer by Pujols the last appearance he had. Just as they decided he would be dominant again, *crack*. Glad he was cool about it... they need to be able to take a little bit of ribbing. He's still a helluva pitcher.

As far as the cubs fans, every once in a while you find some classy, real fans who are tired of their team losing all the time. These are cub fans, not Wrigley Field fans, and many of then are quite interesting to talk to. Sounds like you conducted yourself with class as well. :cool:

ondafarm
03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/10/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm?cnn=yes

buehrle4cy05
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Just watching the games in Puerto Rico and in Anaheim, the excitement has been there. I think that it's still early, but the WBC has been a success.

Rooney4Prez56
03-14-2006, 12:32 PM
I've almost come around on this. I hated the idea, but I've started to enjoy watching it. Maybe I am just enjoying seeing baseball games again.

TomBradley72
03-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Just watching the games in Puerto Rico and in Anaheim, the excitement has been there. I think that it's still early, but the WBC has been a success.

Should be interesting to see how this develops...let's say DR or Venezuala wins the whole thing...then for the next three years they are needling the mlb guys on Team USA, PR, Japan, etc....the "pride" factor might be much bigger the second time around. The media (both ESPN and print) I think has underestimated the building interest in the tournament. It's much more competitive than the "USA Dream Team" dominating scenario I think alot of people envisioned.

(OPRFHS Class of 1980)

ondafarm
03-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Should be interesting to see how this develops...let's say DR or Venezuala wins the whole thing...then for the next three years they are needling the mlb guys on Team USA, PR, Japan, etc....the "pride" factor might be much bigger the second time around. The media (both ESPN and print) I think has underestimated the building interest in the tournament. It's much more competitive than the "USA Dream Team" dominating scenario I think alot of people envisioned.

(OPRFHS Class of 1980)

In part because the USA team has sucked. Who picked these morons and who keeps trotting out pitchers who can't get anybody out?

longshot7
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
the next WBC is 2009 in Japan.

I'm loving this tournament too - stayed up late to watch the Korea/US game last nite. Korea reminds me a lot of the 05 Sox - they got their mojo going.

Iwritecode
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
In part because the USA team has sucked. Who picked these morons and who keeps trotting out pitchers who can't get anybody out?

The players were invited and either accepted or declined. IIRC, Burly was asked to play. Looks like they could've use him...

Basically, I look at the whole thing as exibition games a lot like the Olympics/spring training games/All-star game. I'll watch the games and hope the Sox players do well. If USA wins, great. If not, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

It especially sucks that a picther can pitch five strong innings but has to be taken out because he's reached his pitch count. Then they bring in some crappy reliever that blows the game...

ondafarm
03-14-2006, 01:48 PM
The players were invited and either accepted or declined. IIRC, Burly was asked to play. Looks like they could've use him...

Al fricken Leiter was picked. He'd throw better underhand.

Iwritecode
03-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Al fricken Leiter was picked. He'd throw better underhand.

Dontrelle Willis hasn't been helping much either.

Iwritecode
03-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Looks like they could've picked a better backup firstbaseman as well:

Mark Teixera - 0 hits in 12 AB.

ondafarm
03-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Here's an article from Yahoo http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhkVmbJwngWQIfiKHQD4asARvLYF?slug=jp-wbc031406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

bashing the USA team.

ondafarm
03-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Looks like they could've picked a better backup firstbaseman as well:

Mark Teixera - 0 hits in 12 AB.

Derrick Lee rode the pines the whole game.

Iwritecode
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM

I missed the game considering it aired at 1AM.

Sounds like the people that were calling this thing a farce were exactly right. They're not doing much to get Americans excited about it...

ilsox7
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Not sure if it's why he sat, but he apparently was hurt in an earlier game and is on his way to the doctor.