PDA

View Full Version : Dayn Perry says Red Sox #1

santo=dorf
03-13-2006, 09:34 PM
:rolleyes: (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings)
The Red Sox have done a solid-to-admirable job of filling their holes at third, first, shortstop, and in center. The relief corps has been impressively revamped, and the rotation has imposing depth. To boot, Theo Epsteinís back in the fold. Much depends on the health of guys like Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells and Keith Foulke, but as things stand now the Red Sox are tops in baseball.

That's a huge gamble when you're talking about 3/5 of your ****ing rotation along with your closer. Alex Gonzalez is a big downgrade at short, who knows what Lowell will do, and we'll see how those national league pitchers handle the American League (Seanez-Health. Tavarez-Age.)

PAPChiSox729
03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Hahah. That is all I can do. Now that top of the lineup with Crisp, Loretta, Ortiz, and Manny is probably the best 1-4 in baseball; but beyond that, they really don't have much else to be afraid of. Schilling could be good again. Beckett could stay healthy. Papelbon could turn into a stud. Their bullpen could come together. But even if this all happens -and that's a big if -they still aren't better than the White Sox.

DSpivack
03-13-2006, 11:47 PM
With that lineup 5-9, and that pitching staff, I'm not so sure they're better than the Blue Jays.

SoxSpeed22
03-13-2006, 11:59 PM
I know you already know this, Santo=Dorf, but what did we learn from last year?
These rankings don't mean a %&^$in' thing!
If at first you succeed, repeat!:thumbsup:

Banix12
03-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Hahah. That is all I can do. Now that top of the lineup with Crisp, Loretta, Ortiz, and Manny is probably the best 1-4 in baseball; but beyond that, they really don't have much else to be afraid of. Schilling could be good again. Beckett could stay healthy. Papelbon could turn into a stud. Their bullpen could come together. But even if this all happens -and that's a big if -they still aren't better than the White Sox.

You forgot Varitek. Their lineup is probably fine, they'll score some runs, especially if Lowell bounces back and Youkilis has a decent year at 1st.

The pitching however is just too much of an if to be putting them as the #1 team. Counting on the health of Shilling, Beckett, and Foulke is foolish. Right now it looks like Wells and Wakefield will come in as the most reliable starters on the team.

0o0o0
03-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Right now it looks like Wells and Wakefield will come in as the most reliable starters on the team.

ouch

SOXSINCE'70
03-14-2006, 07:52 AM
:whocares
The tale will be told on the field.

Tragg
03-14-2006, 07:54 AM
The American League is going to be ridiculously difficult this year. The only teams that aren't both barrels out to win are KC, T Bay (this year - that's changing) and maybe Detroit (they're trying, but not very good at it).

Contrast that to the NL. The Marlins, Nats, Rockies, Reds, Pirates and Rockies aren't even giving it an effort.

spluta7913
03-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Dayne "the ***" perry is always getting me riled up. He is always knocking the sox and our players. I hate all of these so called experts not knowing a thing. I think the closest this stiff ever came to a baseball diamond is when he played right field on his t ball team

chaerulez
03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
The American League is going to be ridiculously difficult this year. The only teams that aren't both barrels out to win are KC, T Bay (this year - that's changing) and maybe Detroit (they're trying, but not very good at it).

Contrast that to the NL. The Marlins, Nats, Rockies, Reds, Pirates and Rockies aren't even giving it an effort.

The Twins and Seattle still don't have teams to brag about. One could make another argument that since Texas still has no pitching they aren't going anywhere either.

MeteorsSox4367
03-14-2006, 09:37 AM
People, people...Haven't we been through this before? For many of these media "experts", there are but four or five teams that exist in baseball. Those would be the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets and Cubs. Once in a while, they'll also include the Cardinals.

What the hell does it matter what they think? Look in all the baseball almanacs and stat books from last season. Who defeated Boston in the AL playoffs? Our Sox. Who won the AL and the World Series? Our Sox, again.

If Boston's rotation has to depend on Wakefield and Wells, I wish 'em luck. I'd much rather have the most underrated pitcher in baseball - Buehrle - as my anchor with Garcia, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez and McCarthy adding depth and talent to the rotation.

Bottom line - who gives a damn what they think? Thanks and Go Sox!!

mccoydp
03-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Ahhh, I see that Dayn hasn't changed one bit from last year: he's still full of ****.

His rankings mean nothing. Didn't he rank the White Sox 7th or 8th on the "Power Rankings" during a spell in September?

He gives the Red Sox pitching rotation WAY too much credit.

palehozenychicty
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM

the Red Sox strike me as a team in transition for 2006. WAY too many pitching ifs for them to be a WS contender.

FedEx227
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah its a transition team, a bunch of new players, new spots... I don't think this will be their year to contend again, especially with that old of a pitching staff. Next year if they keep most of the offensive pieces and move out the Wakefield/Wells/Clement part of the rotation we're talking about a decent team, but this year 2nd or 3rd place at best.

Baby Fisk
03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Is it irrational to suddenly fear Oakland? Having a weak moment... need some positive reinforcement... :unsure:

Hangar18
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
We'll see how those national league pitchers handle the American League

YUP. Lets see how they do in the much tougher American League.
I wonder if Theos done wiping the Key Lime off his face on the Murton/Garciaparra for Francis Beltran deal, hahahahahahaha. Heck, some Bosox fans arent very happy Wells is still there

PAPChiSox729
03-14-2006, 03:51 PM
You forgot Varitek. Their lineup is probably fine, they'll score some runs, especially if Lowell bounces back and Youkilis has a decent year at 1st.

The pitching however is just too much of an if to be putting them as the #1 team. Counting on the health of Shilling, Beckett, and Foulke is foolish. Right now it looks like Wells and Wakefield will come in as the most reliable starters on the team.

Oh yeah, Varitek is pretty good. Their offense is still very potent. But, like everyone else has said, that pitching leaves a lot to be desired.

areilly
03-14-2006, 05:33 PM
The article conveniently leaves out the fact that Dayn Perry is a pretentious jackass who watches spreadsheets, not baseball games. If he's going by what's on paper, how can he overlook the fact that just six months ago a White Sox team worse than this year's swept a Red Sox team better than this year's?

Oh, I forgot, David Wells is going to return to the form he had that one time against Minnesota in 1998 and the onslaught of solo home runs by Ramirez and Ortiz is going to help them barrel through the rest of the AL.

SOecks
03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
The article conveniently leaves out the fact that Dayn Perry is a pretentious jackass who watches spreadsheets, not baseball games. If he's going by what's on paper, how can he overlook the fact that just six months ago a White Sox team worse than this year's swept a Red Sox team better than this year's?

Post of the Week material here, that was hilarious and you hit it right on the head. We all know Dayn is a maroon but this is just rediculous. Oh well, let him keep this up. He's just setting himself up to put his foot in his mouth yet again. Ha ha ha in advance, Dayn...

DumpJerry
03-14-2006, 11:47 PM
He also says the White Sox should head back to the World Series: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5376576

Good thing consistency is not a job requirement for him.

BTW, the only thing that would upset me more about this guy is if he made the Sox Number One in the Power Rankings.....

FielderJones
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Is it irrational to suddenly fear Oakland? Having a weak moment... need some positive reinforcement...

Fear Moneyball? Give me a break! Those guys will be lucky to contend for wildcard.

Brian26
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh, I forgot, David Wells is going to return to the form he had that one time against Minnesota in 1998 and the onslaught of solo home runs by Ramirez and Ortiz is going to help them barrel through the rest of the AL.

Don't forget that Mike Lowell will hit .335 with 40 homers this year.

monkeypants
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
The Carmines better get their tickertape ready because they also signed Juan-Gone!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2375780