PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Day in Arizona

chisox117
03-13-2006, 06:10 PM
I just heard on the radio that the World Champions had a reception at the state capitol this morning and that AZ Gov. Janet Napolitano declared today “White Sox Day” in AZ. I’m not sure who attended besides Reinsdorf (he presented the Governor with a World Series jersey). I wonder if Ozzie was there.

:gulp:

MarySwiss
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow! I searched and searched and could find nothing--either electronically or in print--about this. Hope it's true!

SBSoxFan
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow! I searched and searched and could find nothing--either electronically or in print--about this. Hope it's true!
I read it at chicagosports.com today.

The Sox will be honored for their World Series championship Monday by Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano. Among those who will attend the ceremony at the state capitol in Phoenix are Konerko, Jermaine Dye and Dustin Hermanson, who all live in the Phoenix area. Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, general manager Ken Williams, Guillen and several coaches also will attend

MarySwiss
03-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Still couldn't find it. But it really pisses me off that there was no mention in the Arizona Republic. Or the Tucson Star?? DAMN it!

SBSoxFan
03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
here's the link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060312soxbits,1,3478313.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

look under the extra innings segment at the bottom.

MarySwiss
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
here's the link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060312soxbits,1,3478313.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

look under the extra innings segment at the bottom.

ARGGGGHHH! This seriously pisses me off! WHY wasn't this a bigger deal in the Republic? (I think I know the answer, but I will honor WSI's desire to avoid political opinions. If you want to know, a little bit of research should do ya.)

chisox117
03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Still couldn't find it. But it really pisses me off that there was no mention in the Arizona REPUGNANT. DAMN it!

fixed it for you!:redneck

:gulp:

TDog
03-14-2006, 03:51 AM
ARGGGGHHH! This seriously pisses me off! WHY wasn't this a bigger deal in the Republic? (I think I know the answer, but I will honor WSI's desire to avoid political opinions. If you want to know, a little bit of research should do ya.)

By research do you mean figuring out what the Republic was called before the name was shortened?

I knew Janet when she was only running for U.S. Attorney, looking to run for state AG. I'm not being political to suggest that she didn't call for a news blackout. Rose Mofford, being an old softball player from Globe, would have made a huge deal out of meeting with the Sox. To celebrate the event, she might have ended up with an Ozzie caricature on the gubernatorial Christmas card.

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 07:16 AM
By research do you mean figuring out what the Republic was called before the name was shortened?

I knew Janet when she was only running for U.S. Attorney, looking to run for state AG. I'm not being political to suggest that she didn't call for a news blackout. Rose Mofford, being an old softball player from Globe, would have made a huge deal out of meeting with the Sox. To celebrate the event, she might have ended up with an Ozzie caricature on the gubernatorial Christmas card.

I've met Janet, and I'm fairly certain she wouldn't have called for one either. What for? And I wonder what kind of coverage this got in the Tucson paper?

Viva Medias B's
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Rose Mofford, being an old softball player from Globe, would have made a huge deal out of meeting with the Sox. To celebrate the event, she might have ended up with an Ozzie caricature on the gubernatorial Christmas card.

On a side note, Rose Mofford is why there is still a Cactus League. As this piece from the history section of the Cactus League's website states:

The late 1980s forced a turning point in Cactus League development. The Grapefruit League discovered the economic importance of baseball and, as a result, Florida introduced various mechanisms to raise revenues to assist communities in building new facilities to attract Major League clubs. The Cleveland Indians, one of the pioneering teams of the Cactus League, left for Florida in 1993. Besides competing with other Florida host communities, Florida cities turned their attention to teams engaged in spring training in Arizona. Fortunately, Arizona's Governor Rose Mofford was ready to withstand the challenge. A former standout ball player herself, Arizona's first lady created the Arizona Baseball Commission to determine how to keep baseball in Arizona. She was also instrumental in passing legislation that would provide the impetus for the Cactus League's growth. New ballparks have been erected in Peoria, where the Mariners and Padres entered a cooperative effort, and in Mesa, where the Cubs are guaranteed to remain for another generation. Hi Corbett Field was refurbished for the Colorado Rockies. And, in the spring of 1998, brand new Maryvale Baseball Park became the home of the Brewers while brand new Tucson Electric Park became the home of the Arizona Diamondbacks and Chicago White Sox.

And the irony is that Rose Mofford became governor by accident, when the previous governor was impeached and thrown out of office. She was the Arizona Secretary of State which is next in the line of succession (no Lt. Governor in Arizona).

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Well, this finally got mentioned in today's Republic, three short sentences, sports section, Cactus League coverage on page 4.

Meanwhile, there was a story on page 2 that included some Flubs fan who goes to the games in Mesa all dressed up in ivy and poses for photos with other Flubs fans. :?:

southsidesoxfan1
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I DECLARE EVERYDAY WHITE SOX DAY!!!:gulp:

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana::super nana::supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

AZChiSoxFan
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, this finally got mentioned in today's Republic, three short sentences, sports section, Cactus League coverage on page 4.

Meanwhile, there was a story on page 2 that included some Flubs fan who goes to the games in Mesa all dressed up in ivy and poses for photos with other Flubs fans. :?:

Mary, with all due respect, me thinks you've been spending too much time with Hangar lately. :smile:

The Gov going down to spend a few minutes with a baseball team (albeit our beloved Sox) is simply not that big of a news story. Most newspapers report things that happened the day before, so that's why it ran in today's paper. And no, the former name of the paper has absolutely nothing to do with this (trying hard to avoid the "P" word/topic here). As you know, she is fairly popular here and I have not seen evidence of of the newspaper being "out to get her." Sorry, but again, this just isn't that newsworthy.

As to the story on the Cubs that ran on page 2, the Republic is simply doing a day by day review of all the Cactus League ballparks and today's paper has the review of HoHoKam. Yesterday's paper reviewed Maryvale's park (Brewers) and the article was the same size, in the same place in the sports section. Tomorrow you'll see the same thing for a different park.

AZChiSoxFan
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
On a side note, Rose Mofford is why there is still a Cactus League. As this piece from the history section of the Cactus League's website states:

And the irony is that Rose Mofford became governor by accident, when the previous governor was impeached and thrown out of office. She was the Arizona Secretary of State which is next in the line of succession (no Lt. Governor in Arizona).

Good post, but the Cactus League website apparantly leaves out the part about AZ voters approving Prop 302 in 2000 which provided the majority of the funds to build the Surprise complex (Rangers and Royals) and to refurbish stadiums for the A's, Giants, and Angels. On a side note, the main accomplishment of prop 302 was to fund the Cardinals new stadium and keep them in AZ. :angry:

chisox117
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
I DECLARE EVERYDAY WHITE SOX DAY!!!:gulp:

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

I'll drink to that!!!
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Mary, with all due respect, me thinks you've been spending too much time with Hangar lately. :smile:

The Gov going down to spend a few minutes with a baseball team (albeit our beloved Sox) is simply not that big of a news story. Most newspapers report things that happened the day before, so that's why it ran in today's paper. And no, the former name of the paper has absolutely nothing to do with this (trying hard to avoid the "P" word/topic here). As you know, she is fairly popular here and I have not seen evidence of of the newspaper being "out to get her." Sorry, but again, this just isn't that newsworthy.

As to the story on the Cubs that ran on page 2, the Republic is simply doing a day by day review of all the Cactus League ballparks and today's paper has the review of HoHoKam. Yesterday's paper reviewed Maryvale's park (Brewers) and the article was the same size, in the same place in the sports section. Tomorrow you'll see the same thing for a different park.

I've never met Hangar, actually. Also, I didn't say anything about the former name of the paper. That was not my point. (I'm also trying to avoid the "p" word, so let's leave it at that.)

Yes, Janet is popular--and she's also up for re-election. When you consider that fact, taken in conjunction with the large number of former Ilinois residents here and the fact that this is not just any baseball team but the defending World Champs, I disagree about its not being newsworthy.

And I am aware that the Republic is doing that series. I did not intend to claim that they were showing favoritism to the Cubs--at least not in this instance! But I do think it's pretty weird--and funny--to see a picture of and hear about a grown man who likes to dress in ivy, and I thought other WSI'ers would get a kick out of it as well.

With all due respect, AZ, you're reading an awful lot into one two-sentences-long post! :D:

AZChiSoxFan
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I've never met Hangar, actually. Also, I didn't say anything about the former name of the paper. That was not my point. (I'm also trying to avoid the "p" word, so let's leave it at that.)

Yes, Janet is popular--and she's also up for re-election. When you consider that fact, taken in conjunction with the large number of former Ilinois residents here and the fact that this is not just any baseball team but the defending World Champs, I disagree about its not being newsworthy.

And I am aware that the Republic is doing that series. I did not intend to claim that they were showing favoritism to the Cubs--at least not in this instance! But I do think it's pretty weird--and funny--to see a picture of and hear about a grown man who likes to dress in ivy, and I thought other WSI'ers would get a kick out of it as well.

With all due respect, AZ, you're reading an awful lot into one two-sentences-long post! :D:

Whatever. You wrote that the Gov story got 3 lines on page 4, then you mentioned the Cubs article on page 2. If that's not trying to point out Cubs favoritism on your part, then I'm not sure what is. Feel free to remove the tinfoil hat any time now.

Part of the Gov's job is going out and making apperances with various groups. Considering that many of these appearances she does get no press at all, one could make the point that 3 lines on page 4 was actually a lot of coverage.

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Whatever. You wrote that the Gov story got 3 lines on page 4, then you mentioned the Cubs article on page 2. If that's not trying to point out Cubs favoritism on your part, then I'm not sure what is. Feel free to remove the tinfoil hat any time now.

Part of the Gov's job is going out and making apperances with various groups. Considering that many of these appearances she does get no press at all, one could make the point that 3 lines on page 4 was actually a lot of coverage.

Thanks. I will!

As for why I mentioned both those things, it's because I found them worth mentioning. I suppose I could have mentioned the bit about the Cards' tickets sales being up since they signed Edgerrin James; that might have taken me off the hook. :smile:

miker
03-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Are we sure Gov. Napolitano is not in Tucson wondering how they managed to get so many legal immigrants into Sox camp?