PDA

View Full Version : Best "non-MLB" Baseball Game You've Ever Seen?

TomBradley72
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
One of the benefits of the WBC is that you can see high quality baseball but outside of the usual MLB context of franchises/stadiums/players, etc. Alot of folks seem to completely equate the game of baseball ONLY with MLB. But the game of baseball can be the best game on the planet...and the way it's played outside of MLB is sometimes a much purer style of play.

What's the best "non-MLB" baseball game you have ever seen either in person or on TV?

RKMeibalane
03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
One of the benefits of the WBC is that you can see high quality baseball but outside of the usual MLB context of franchises/stadiums/players, etc. Alot of folks seem to completely equate the game of baseball ONLY with MLB. But the game of baseball can be the best game on the planet...and the way it's played outside of MLB is sometimes a much purer style of play.

What's the best "non-MLB" baseball game you have ever seen either in person or on TV?

April 19, 1997- Middle Tennessee St. vs. Austin Peay: The game ended on a walkoff home run in the 10th. I still don't know if that ball ever came down.

MUsoxfan
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I saw a Joliet Jackhammer vs. Kansas City T-Bones game a couple years ago that was really good. I believe it was a Pete Rose Jr. walk-off to win the game for the Jackhammers

TornLabrum
03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
I saw a Joliet Jackhammer vs. Kansas City T-Bones game a couple years ago that was really good. I believe it was a Pete Rose Jr. walk-off to win the game for the Jackhammers

Speaking of the 'Hammers, I saw my first no-hitter at a 'Hammers game last summer. I think that qualifies.

HomeFish
03-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I saw my high school's team lose a game on a walk-off infield fly. The guy dropped the ball and the throw to home was off-line. It was fairly sad, but I can't say I've ever seen that before.

chisoxfanatic
03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Any game Neal Cotts pitched for my ISU Redbirds. There was that special "aura" to him that made me never want to miss a game of which he pitched at Redbird Field while both of us went to the university at the same time. I KNEW he'd make it big someday in the major leagues. I just didn't fathom him in a Sox uniform, let alone winning a WORLD SERIES with my team!!!

StillMissOzzie
03-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I saw the Kane County Cougars GET no-hit many years ago now. It was kinda funny, the home team crowd cheering for the opposition pitcher to close it out in the 9th. "C'mon, blue, don't squeeze him now!" still sticks in my mind.

SMO
:gulp:

Deebs14
03-14-2006, 04:01 AM
EDIT: Oops, misread the title.

Even though I participated in it, I'll cast my vote for it. One of the better one's I've seen would have to be my high school teams' 2nd round playoff game down in Punta Gorda, FL. Even though we lost in extras, that was an extremely intense game to not only watch, but to play in as well.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
The final game of the '05 Little League World Series was pretty exciting, as I recall...

ja1022
03-15-2006, 10:03 AM
The Gary Railcats beating the Fargo Redhawks for the Northern League Championship last September. Actually, it was probably the best professional game at any level that I've ever attended. Gary scored two in the bottom of the first against a team and pitcher that both dominated the league, and made it hold up with some great defense and good pitching, winning 2-1.

I've said it here before, but if you love baseball, the Northern League, and even the Frontier League offer up alot of fun.

Iwritecode
03-15-2006, 10:33 AM
The game I pitched 14 innings. I think we ended up losing the game but I don't exactly remember how. I just remember that was the best pitching performance I'd ever had in my life.

Too bad my team's offense (including me) couldn't hit crap that day...

McCuddy
03-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Speaking of the 'Hammers, I saw my first no-hitter at a 'Hammers game last summer. I think that qualifies.

Got my no-hitter at ol' Comiskey, but saw the Schaumburg Flyers turn an around-the-horn triple play at a game in '02.

ChiSoxRowand
03-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Arizona St. -Nebraska in last years college world series.

areilly
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
June, 1990. Butler Lake Park, Libertyville, IL. Talkin' AAA ball here. Pip Printing vs. The Sportsman Sporting Goods.

Bottom of the sixth. Bases loaded with me on third, our catcher on second, third baseman on first, and our left-fielder up to bat. Two outs. Game is tied.

Their guy delivers the 0-1 pitch, which promptly hits our guy on the front of the batting helmet. Every parent and coach gasps their breath, but he's okay and runs to first, jumping for joy and screaming in celebration.

I cross the plate uncontested, and we that's how we handed the Sportsman their only loss of that season.

Taliesinrk
03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
The game I pitched 14 innings. I think we ended up losing the game but I don't exactly remember how. I just remember that was the best pitching performance I'd ever had in my life.

Too bad my team's offense (including me) couldn't hit crap that day...

Wow.. this is ironic.. but here goes. Did you pitch for Earlham College 2 springs ago??? Is your name Tak? Becuase 2 years ago against Wabash College we lost in 14, in a game our pitcher went 14 full. And yes.. our offense couldn't hit crap that day.. or any other for that matter.

mike squires
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Was a game I participated in. It was early April my Senior year. It was about 45 degrees and windy. Late in the game with a runner on first there was a ground ball to short. He flipped me the ball at second and all I had to do was squeeze it, touch the bag and end the inning. My hands are ice cold and drop the ball. Of course the next batter gets a hit and they take the lead. An inning later they switch pitcher before my at bat. First pitch I saw I crushed over the right field fence. I flew the bases like Ozzie used to after he would hit one. The guys were slapping me on the head. We went on to win the game, that being the game winning hit. The next day the teacher I was teachers aide for asked me to drop some papers off at the athletic directors office. On the way down I got nosey and saw my name on there. IT WAS THE F LIST. I knew I was in trouble. Being a teachers aide, a study hall and a failing grade I knew I was done for the season. My last at bat was my first and only home run. THe ball sits on my shelves with the rest of my baseball stuff. THe ball is signed by my teammates and my coach Curt Durham who is brother to commentator Jim Durham. Curt was later killed in a train accident. I think this story is already told somehwere in the WSI archives, but it's so fun and sentimental to tell.

Corlose 15
03-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Last summer I saw the Beloit Snappers play the West Michigan Whitecaps. The Beloit pitcher retired the first 26 batters he faced. Everyone was on their feet cheering for the perfect game. Then the 27th one hit a bloop single that barely dropped out of reach of the second baseman. He proceded to strike out the next batter and recieved a huge ovation from the West Michigan fans.

Iwritecode
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Wow.. this is ironic.. but here goes. Did you pitch for Earlham College 2 springs ago??? Is your name Tak? Becuase 2 years ago against Wabash College we lost in 14, in a game our pitcher went 14 full. And yes.. our offense couldn't hit crap that day.. or any other for that matter.

It was over ten years ago in a fast-pitch softball league at the local community center. I was probably 15 or 16 at the time.