PDA

View Full Version : kipper = #1 starter?

delben91
01-13-2002, 12:10 PM
All right, so I'm glancing at espn.com, and I see the pirates hot stove heater report.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove2002/pirates.html

If you glance at the projected lineup section, they have kip listed as the pirates number one starter. Now, he was pretty good out of the bullpen, but he's never been consistently solid in the rotation that I can remember, save maybe that 8 start stint the first time he came up for an extended look. The bucs must be in dire straights to put the kipper at number one.

MattSharp
01-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Yea, I noticed that also. Weird ****....

FarWestChicago
01-13-2002, 12:52 PM
That would be kind of scary if you were a Pirates fan. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-13-2002, 02:51 PM
You could always count on the guy to start melting once the pressure began to build. He would be a decent major league #1 starter for about 72 hours. Since he pitches in the NL Central, maybe he'll last a week.

Playing Milwaukee and Cincinnati can make you look better than you really are. It sure worked for the Cubs pitching staff.

Daver
01-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm sure he'll stick to doing what he does best,crapping his pants when the pressure is on.

WinningUgly!
01-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
I'm sure he'll stick to doing what he does best,crapping his pants when the pressure is on.

Boxers or briefs Kip?

:kipper
"Depends."

SOXSINCE'70
01-13-2002, 04:09 PM
His pitches get too fat in the clutch to be a #1.Glad he's not with the Sox anymore.The team gave him every chance they could,and he'd melt every time.Whatever happened to the pitcher who went 4-1 in a Sept. '99 callup??I'll never know. :gulp: :gulp:

Soxheads
01-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
Whatever happened to the pitcher who went 4-1 in a Sept. '99 callup??I'll never know. :gulp: :gulp:

What happened to the Manager of the Year in Jerry Manuel? None of us will ever know. :gulp: :gulp:

duke of dorwood
01-13-2002, 08:34 PM
This must mean WE have their #1 starter. BUT they have our #1 centerfielder too

nut_stock
01-13-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
BUT they have our #1 centerfielder too

If that's the case, we should swap players, giving them theri #1 left fielder.

Iwritecode
01-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
His pitches get too fat in the clutch to be a #1.Glad he's not with the Sox anymore.The team gave him every chance they could,and he'd melt every time.Whatever happened to the pitcher who went 4-1 in a Sept. '99 callup??I'll never know. :gulp: :gulp:

He got a linedrive in the chest courtesy of Mo Vaugh I believe. He's had the deer caught in headlights look ever since...

What's even funnier, go and look at the pirates troll board and read where they are putting Sean Lowe. So far they have had him as a starter, reliever, set-up man and closer. They are undecided whether Fogg will start the season in the rotation or in the minors. It's really sad. You almost have to feel sorry for them.

Almost...

delben91
01-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

What's even funnier, go and look at the pirates troll board and read where they are putting Sean Lowe. So far they have had him as a starter, reliever, set-up man and closer.

What, you mean Lowe can't be all 4 at once?!?! LOL

rmusacch
01-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Yea, I noticed that also. Weird ****....

What about Kris Benson? Wouldn't he be their number one starter?

kermittheefrog
01-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

What about Kris Benson? Wouldn't he be their number one starter?

Kris Benson isn't supposed to be ready to pitch at the beginning of the season, he's still recovering from surgery.

RichH55
01-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Isn't Derek Bell still penciled into that lineup? They have bigger problems than projecting Lowe or whether Wells is a frontline pitcher at this stage