PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/13/06

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 01:45 PM
The flubbies get a little love in the quickhits section of the SunTimes,
mentioning how they are #1 in ticket sales, (the Trib has been boasting the same thing) to obviously take the wind out of the sails of the SOX record setting ticket sales. The Trib boldly takes a full-page article out on their own team, with "tickets available", but the number they publish leads you to their ticket scalping outfit. Excellent. Sox sell 2.1 Million to their actual fans, Flubbies sell 2 Million to their sheep and themselves!

Despite winning the World Series, the SOX are still not seeing the 4 to 1 media coverage the Cubs have enjoyed for most of the 1990's and the 2000's.

Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of Monday March 13th, 2006
Priviledged Cubs 67
Underdog SOX 75

Dan Mega
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey what ever happened to that federal court case saying the Flubs were scalping their own tickets?

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey what ever happened to that federal court case saying the Flubs were scalping their own tickets?

the Trib did some market-research, and found that fans want to keep up with William Ligue more than some boring old federal lawsuit

SOecks
03-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Whenever I hear about the Wrigley scalping operation I'm always reminded of the movie Fight Club when they take the fat from Lipo operations and turn it into soap and sell it right back to the people they took it out of. Probably not an accurate analogy but I don't care anyways.

CHISOXFAN13
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
The flubbies get a little love in the quickhits section of the SunTimes,
mentioning how they are #1 in ticket sales, (the Trib has been boasting the same thing) to obviously take the wind out of the sails of the SOX record setting ticket sales. The Trib boldly takes a full-page article out on their own team, with "tickets available", but the number they publish leads you to their ticket scalping outfit. Excellent. Sox sell 2.1 Million to their actual fans, Flubbies sell 2 Million to their sheep and themselves!

Despite winning the World Series, the SOX are still not seeing the 4 to 1 media coverage the Cubs have enjoyed for most of the 1990's and the 2000's.

Chicago Tribune:
2 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

Standings as of Monday March 13th, 2006
Priviledged Cubs 67
Underdog SOX 75

I must say, the 4-1 stuff cracks me up every time I see it
:)

Craig Grebeck
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE WE ONLY LEAD BY EIGHT STORIES! Hangar, give it up, please. For the last time, just because there are jaded Sox fans like yourself, doesn't mean the Trib and Sun-Times are going to completely shun one of the baseball teams. That would just be bad business...if you don't support what the Tribune or Sun-Times is doing (obviously you don't), then don't buy a copy.

fusillirob1983
03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
For the last time, just because there are jaded Sox fans like yourself, doesn't mean the Trib and Sun-Times are going to completely shun one of the baseball teams. That would just be bad business...

They've given far more coverage to the Cubs for several years. I don't agree that the Sox should now get 4 to 1 coverage. I think it should be even and should have been even for the past several years.

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE WE ONLY LEAD BY EIGHT STORIES! Hangar, give it up, please. For the last time, just because there are jaded Sox fans like yourself, doesn't mean the Trib and Sun-Times are going to completely shun one of the baseball teams. That would just be bad business...if you don't support what the Tribune or Sun-Times is doing (obviously you don't), then don't buy a copy.

Reparations .............Its time.

kittle42
03-13-2006, 03:10 PM
They've given far more coverage to the Cubs for several years. I don't agree that the Sox should now get 4 to 1 coverage. I think it should be even and should have been even for the past several years.

A man after my own heart.

daveeym
03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Reparations .............Its time.http://www.freewebs.com/dan_dan_dan/george_costanza003.jpg
Reparations!!!

Trav
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM

A court ruled that it was ok for whatever reason. I read about it a while back. After the court ruled, MLB said that they would set up their own program that would work the same way. Anything Budlight can do to eliminate that pesky average joe fan...

TomBradley72
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Whenever I hear about the Wrigley scalping operation I'm always reminded of the movie Fight Club when they take the fat from Lipo operations and turn it into soap and sell it right back to the people they took it out of. Probably not an accurate analogy but I don't care anyways.

Cubs scalping operation is the "Soylent Green" of MLB...

SOecks
03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Cubs scalping operation is the "Soylent Green" of MLB...

Ha, that's much better and actually makes sense. I'm sure I'll still picture Brad Pitt dumpster diving for lipo fat though.

Bobbo35
03-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Reparations .............Its time.

I am with you all the way Hangar, I am sick of seeing the crap the papers put out regardless of the Sox Championship season.

veeter
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Keep up the good work Hangar. The Sox received, IMO, ample CHAMPION coverage from October through December. But then the Chicago media hit the reset button on Jan.1. Same old stuff, too much cubs. It's as if they forgot how huge the White Sox accomplishment was. I have the faith, though, that they will be reminded in the coming years.