PDA

View Full Version : Pods, Hermanson

batmanZoSo
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Tribune article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060312sox,1,5099441.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Man I just get uneasy when Pods has these nagging injuries. He has to be healthy. Says he might return this week...

kevin57
03-13-2006, 09:59 AM
The PodsWatch should look for if indeed he does return this week. If not, then some concern would be in order.

I'm concerned about DH, too, but frankly after his problems last year I was not counting on him for 2006. Guillen suggests that there will be some important meetings between him and Kenny this week to see which way to go.

fquaye149
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
The PodsWatch should look for if indeed he does return this week. If not, then some concern would be in order.

I'm concerned about DH, too, but frankly after his problems last year I was not counting on him for 2006. Guillen suggests that there will be some important meetings between him and Kenny this week to see which way to go.

Personally I'm most concerned about THE dh...if you know what I mean.

It would be nice if we could have Dusty healthy though

But um, notice how in the Tribune it's "Sox could be without leadoff man"

in the sun times it's "Podsednik's shoulder nothing to worry about"

Hangar, what do you think is up with that?

BanditJimmy
03-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm getting very nervous about our bullpen situation right now:
Jenks - limited experience; out of shape
Pollite- Career year last year
Hermanson- Hurt
McCarthy- No bullpen experience
Others- Not impressed with any of the guys brought in this Spring to compete for the last bullpen spot.

Positive:
Cotts- Only guy I'm confident with right now.

Those 5 horses better be ready to each throw 220 innings this year.

SOecks
03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Hermanson- Hurt
Others- Not impressed with any of the guys brought in this Spring to compete for the last bullpen spot.

Positive:

I'm right there with you and hope KW pulls some Wednesday magic in 2 days to bring some more strength to the bullpen. Better get ready for the Dark Cloud nazis to come out of the woodwork now though...How long do you think it will take for that to happen?:rolleyes:

rdivaldi
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Jenks - limited experience

:?:

Bullpen experience? Guys, pitching is pitching. Do you think the Braves were worried that they were going with a guy that had no "bullpen experience" when they used Smoltz as a closer? How about that Eric Gagne guy who was a starter all through his career until the Dodgers had him come out of the bullpen. If you don't want the "Dark cloud nazis" to come out, don't make up reasons to fret.

SOecks
03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
:?:

Bullpen experience? Guys, pitching is pitching. Do you think the Braves were worried that they were going with a guy that had no "bullpen experience" when they used Smoltz as a closer? How about that Eric Gagne guy who was a starter all through his career until the Dodgers had him come out of the bullpen. If you don't want the "Dark cloud nazis" to come out, don't make up reasons to fret.

Yes, pitching is pitching but are you saying it's no different on your arm to pitch once every 5-6 days as a starter compared to bullpen duty where you're pitching fewer innings per outing but going back to back? It is very different. Even last year I remember hearing that a reason McCarthy wasn't on the playoff roster was that he was a starter and was therefore used to needing much more time to warm up before going out. There is a difference and that difference could be a reason for some doubt. Yes I think he'll do well but it's not "making up reasons to fret".

batmanZoSo
03-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Hermanson- Hurt

Positive:

I think the answer to your worries lies in the last sentence there. Assuming the rotation stays healthy, the bullpen really isn't that important. It should be even less important than last year if we score more runs like I think we all expect to.

buehrle4cy05
03-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Hermanson- Hurt

Positive:

:darkclouds:

Lip Man 1
03-13-2006, 01:10 PM
If these are the choices, I think you'll be seeing Williams picking up the phone soon.

"Guillen said he and general manager Ken Williams will look at right-handers Agustin Montero and Tim Redding, as well as the minor-leaguers, but if they don't see anything they like in that group, they might have to go outside camp and trade for a reliever."

"We have a meeting every day, and we're going to talk about it,'' Guillen said. "We'll take a couple more looks at the guys we have right here, and then we'll talk about it.''

Lip

SOecks
03-13-2006, 01:13 PM
:darkclouds:
Well, Buehrle I wrote my post at 9:33 and it took 2 and a half hours for someone to post a dark cloud pic. Much longer than I expected...Your response and analysis of the subject at hand was just so enlightening. Thanks for your thoughts :rolleyes: Oh, here's our manager's quote on the subject "Right now I can't count on him," Manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We're going to see what happens, but right now we'll look for people to replace him." I guess Ozzie is a Dark Cloud too, huh?

BanditJimmy
03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Perfect post.

It's not about being a dark cloud or being negative. If my manager is concerned about the situation, I think we the fans should be concerned also.

buehrle4cy05
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
I guess I can understand where you're coming from, SOecks, but it's still very early. The point I was trying to make was that it's too early to write off these guys.

SOecks
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I guess I can understand where you're coming from, SOecks, but it's still very early. The point I was trying to make was that it's too early to write off these guys.

I know what you're saying and will never write any of our guys off (except Marte last year). I guess I just get really peeved when the whole Dark Cloud thing gets used so much whenever someone's voicing a concern. It's a fine line but I'd agree with a DC label if one of our starters had a rough ST outing and there was a thread talking about us trading him or putting him in the bullpen. Guess I'm just a little on edge today.:gulp:

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Perfect post.

It's not about being a dark cloud or being negative. If my manager is concerned about the situation, I think we the fans should be concerned also.

I hate the notion that being Concerned = Dark Cloud.
Jerry Reinsdorf, by his own admission was the biggest dark cloud last season. He owns the team

JohnBasedowYoda
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I hate the notion that being Concerned = Dark Cloud

I agree 100%.

Also is it possible that the shoulder is just a cover-up for his leg?

SOecks
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree 100%.

Also is it possible that the shoulder is just a cover-up for his leg?

Anything is possible, but with this organization I don't think they'd do that. I thought the same thing at first but then remembered that I'm just used to hearing all of the crap coming from the Cubs. "Kerry Wood will miss his next start" 1 week later, it's "Kerry will be out for 6-8 weeks". I trust what the Sox say to me until they give me reason to think otherwise. Thank god we have Rob Mac huh? He's looking pretty good in the field in ST too and hitting well. No reason to rush Pods back.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Anything is possible, but with this organization I don't think they'd do that. I thought the same thing at first but then remembered that I'm just used to hearing all of the crap coming from the Cubs. "Kerry Wood will miss his next start" 1 week later, it's "Kerry will be out for 6-8 weeks". I trust what the Sox say to me until they give me reason to think otherwise. Thank god we have Rob Mac huh? He's looking pretty good in the field in ST too and hitting well. No reason to rush Pods back.

I had the same feeling as well. Doing something like that is a very "Tribune" move. But on the same token I don't trust anybody:cool:

Jurr
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I think it would suck if it becomes a year that the Sox have to deal with a ton of injuries.

Man...that means that it may be Ryan Sweeney or Rob Mackowiak hitting a walk off homer in the World Series. Oh well. :bandance:

delben91
03-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Looks like Podsednik is going to undergo (or rather, underwent) another MRI. Results will be known tomorrow.

Linky. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060314&content_id=1349697&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)