PDA

View Full Version : Kittle and/or Hickey Baseball Movies

soxinem1
03-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Good Baseball movies have always been a favorite of mine. Bull Durham, The Rookie, Major League, For The Love Of The Game, Eight Men Out, and Field of Dreams are among the best.

The Rookie was a great story about Jim Morris making a second try for the big leagues and making it, and was truly inspirational. But he pitched in about a dozen games once making it, and faded away very shortly afterward.

Kevin Hickey and Ron Kittle's stories are even more fascinating in my view. Hickey, a sandlot softball player from the neighborhood tries out and makes it. Maybe Hickey can star in it too, he had a large (though non-speaking) role in 'Major League 2'.:tongue:

In fact, Hickey's is actually two stories, because once he got hurt in 1983, he reemerged as a key player in the 1989 Orioles bullpen, after a six year absence, thus he's two stories in one.

Then there's Kittle, given up for dead by the Dodgers after hurting his spine, who goes back working in the steel mills in Gary after the Dodgers release him and then gets another chance after White Sox great Billy Pierce arranges a tryout. All he does is go on to become Rookie of the Year in one of the greatest seasons ever for the White Sox and their fans.

I think that sounds like two winning baseball movie topics, and certainly better than believing some kid will pitch a certain other team to greatness! Plus, they could help cement 'White Sox' as a continuing national tradition, as I really doubt most younger fans outside Chicago probably have no idea how truly incredible both Hickey's and Kittle's stories are.

We should bombard Hollywood with these ideas!

tick53
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I'd plop down a few bucks to see it!:smile:

FarSouthSoxFan
03-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Trying to remember Hickey's Part in ML2...Sox pitcher in the playoffs?

I'm embarrased to ask, but I never watched #2 and #3 over-and-over the way I did #1. :redface:

soxinem1
03-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Trying to remember Hickey's Part in ML2...Sox pitcher in the playoffs?

I'm embarrased to ask, but I never watched #2 and #3 over-and-over the way I did #1. :redface:

He actually pitched for the Indians in the movie. His name was Shoop.