PDA

View Full Version : Vazquez strong today

ElDuque26
03-13-2006, 01:21 AM
just looked at the box score and vazquez threw five strong innings against the dominican loaded lineup...picking up the loss for the dominican...none other then Damaso Marte...if vazquez can do that well against the dominican the al central better beware

JohnBasedowYoda
03-13-2006, 01:41 AM
just looked at the box score and vazquez threw five strong innings against the dominican loaded lineup...picking up the loss for the dominican...none other then Damaso Marte...if vazquez can do that well against the dominican the al central better beware

I'm starting to dig this guy. KW strikes oil again?

SOXSINCE'70
03-13-2006, 07:29 AM

My mind is still reeling that the White Sox have 5 starters
who,if they stay healthy,can each throw 200+ innings.:cool:

Bobbo35
03-13-2006, 07:55 AM

I think he will be the sleeper for the Sox. He is now on a team with a great staff where he will have to step up his game and there isn't the media hype like in New York when he played for them.

itsnotrequired
03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I think he will be the sleeper for the Sox. He is now on a team with a great staff where he will have to step up his game and there isn't the media hype like in New York when he played for them.

Don't forget the benefits of having Coop giving direction. Coop alone is worth a number 5 starter.

lumpyspun
03-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I watched a bit of that game...when Marte came in my ulcers started to come back and then I realized that he's not in a White Sox uniform! He was his usual self...walked the first guy, next guy doubled, next guy singled in 2 runs...

CHISOXFAN13
03-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I watched a bit of that game...when Marte came in my ulcers started to come back and then I realized that he's not in a White Sox uniform! He was his usual self...walked the first guy, next guy doubled, next guy singled in 2 runs...

To sum up Marte's performance, he went to the mound with the wrong hat on.

Hilarious.

FarSouthSoxFan
03-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Gotta remember, Spring Training means nothing...

That being said...Anyone see those chest-to-knee curves that Vazquez was throwing? Nice. Fooled the hell out of lots of Dominican hitters. He got A TON of ground balls.

Marte...Heh. Nice to see him toss gas all over someone else's fire. He was horrible.

ondafarm
03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Marte looked horrible, but he's not a White Sox problem anymore.

Vazquez looked good. His breaking stuff was really fooling the hitters and his fastball had some zip.

Flight #24
03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Marte looked horrible, but he's not a White Sox problem anymore.

Vazquez looked good. His breaking stuff was really fooling the hitters and his fastball had some zip.

It's worth noting that while pitchers are ahead of hitters in general, Vazquez did his work against guys named Soriano, Tejada, Ortiz, Pujols, Alou, & Beltre. And JC Brito.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that were he facing your average MLB lineup he'd have fared pretty well.....

Tekk
03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I watched the game also. It was my first glimpse at Vazquez and Alex Cintron and both of them impressed me.

Corlose 15
03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
To sum up Marte's performance, he went to the mound with the wrong hat on.

Hilarious.

What the hell happened to him? He was DOMINANT two years ago and now he's just garbage.

itsnotrequired
03-13-2006, 12:40 PM
What the hell happened to him? He was DOMINANT two years ago and now he's just garbage.

Its not that he's garbage, its that he is just so inconsistent. He'll give you an inning plus of solid relief in one game and then totally blow it the next.

Flight #24
03-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Dominant on an inconsistent team with a manager that didn't ever really hold him (or anyone else for that matter) accountable. No coincidence that as the manager changed the team attitude and the games started to mean something, he regressed.
:ozzie
"He ain't got no guts"

Dick Allen
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
My mind is still reeling that the White Sox have 5 starters
who,if they stay healthy,can each throw 200+ innings.:cool:The way things are looking in the bullpen, these guys may all have to go well over 200 innings.

SOecks
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I just tried to find the game on mlb.com archive and couldn't find it. I'd like to watch him pitch in this game. Does anybody know a way I can see a replay of the game?

lostletters
03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
The way things are looking in the bullpen, these guys may all have to go well over 200 innings.

I am not to concerned about McCarthy, Cotts or Jenks. But Hermanson is a definate concern. I am a little worried about Politte, but I have faith he will come around to his 2005 form as well. I am hopeful things will work out in the end.

It is very possible, and even likely they will all go over 200 innings, these are all stud pitchers. Plus JC, Garland, and Buerhle are all shaping up pretty well in spring training so far. JC and Garland especially might prove 2005 was no fluke.

kravdog
03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Garland especially might prove 2005 was no fluke.
does anyone remember how horrible JGarland looked last spring? He was getting limited opportunities & looked aweful. many wanted brandon.bmac.mccarthy on the starting squad...remember, its only ST. lets play some real ball.

rookie
03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Gotta remember, Spring Training means nothing...

That being said...Anyone see those chest-to-knee curves that Vazquez was throwing? Nice. Fooled the hell out of lots of Dominican hitters. He got A TON of ground balls.

Marte...Heh. Nice to see him toss gas all over someone else's fire. He was horrible.

Except that the WBC is not Spring Training. These guys are playing these games for real. That stadium last night was fired up.

TheVulture
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Don't forget just a couple of years ago Marte CARRIED the Sox bullpen. If he isn't the pitcher he used to be its from a few years of pitching his guts out for the Sox.

California Sox
03-13-2006, 08:42 PM
does anyone remember how horrible JGarland looked last spring?

That's not true at all. JG looked great last spring. He was the talk of camp. Remember? From the first intrasquad game they were saying how the ball "was coming out of his hand better". Now, Contreras sucked. A lot of us, including me, said that McCarthy had earned a spot ahead of Contreras. It took him half a season but Cooper turned him around. Gotta admit I was wrong.

Nice to see a good outing from Vazquez but his problem last year wasn't that he didn't dominate at times. His problem was that one out of every five outings he would get absolutely lit.

cwsfannick
03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
What I think will help Vasquez this year is the fact that he will be the 5th starter facing other teams 5th starters. I have to believe he will be pitching with the lead most of the time, especially when facing AL Central teams. I think that is one of the reasons that Garland had such a great 1st half last year.

beckett21
03-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Last night's performance is a perfect example of why KW coveted Vazquez, and why so many people who have seen him pitch in the past supported the acquisition.

By season's end, all of the doubters will have been silenced. Javier Vazquez is a horse--a thoroughbred, to be precise. :yup:

:cool:

Sargeant79
03-14-2006, 01:07 AM
A lot of us, including me, said that McCarthy had earned a spot ahead of Contreras. It took him half a season but Cooper turned him around. Gotta admit I was wrong.
Yep, I thought the same thing about Contreras. IIRC, I made a post toward the end of spring training last year saying that Contreras had "middle reliever by June" written all over him. Oops.

As for Vazquez, I agree with cwsfannick. Not only will he benefit from facing other teams' fifth starters, but I really believe he will benefit from the lack of pressure at that spot in the rotation. He was always expected to be a top of the rotation guy at his last couple of stops, but he won't have that burden here. Jon Garland seemed to benefit in the same way last year. In '03 and '04, he was being counted on to be a third starter (or somewhere around there). When he became the fifth guy last year, the pressure was off and he was able to really learn how to pitch. Couple that with Don Cooper getting his hands on him and I think Vazquez may have a surprisingly good year.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-14-2006, 01:49 AM
By season's end, all of the doubters will have been silenced. Javier Vazquez is a horse--a thoroughbred, to be precise. :yup:

:cool:

I've been calling him our #2 (behind Beuhrle) and that is NOT a slight to Garcia, Contreras or Garland. He has the talent and outside of one bad year in the Bronx he has a very good track record.

Bobbo35
03-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Don't forget the benefits of having Coop giving direction. Coop alone is worth a number 5 starter.

That is true as well.

beckett21
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I've been calling him our #2 (behind Beuhrle) and that is NOT a slight to Garcia, Contreras or Garland. He has the talent and outside of one bad year in the Bronx he has a very good track record.

I agree with you.

No matter how they are slotted, that is an impressive rotation. :thumbsup: