PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Status

Stoky44
03-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Has Frank been cleared medically yet? Whats going on with him? I have not heard much since the Kenny vs Frank battle. I see on Oaklands website that Frank has not taken an ab yet.

Save McCuddy's
03-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Has Frank been cleared medically yet? Whats going on with him? I have not heard much since the Kenny vs Frank battle. I see on Oaklands website that Frank has not taken an ab yet.

I did read a blurb in the bright one today that suggested Frank will see live action in some Spring games. That had not been thought to be the case for certain. He was quoted as saying that he'll no longer be a speed demon, but that the A's want to see him scoring from second and going first to third.

RKMeibalane
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM

It has been Oakland's plan to bring him along slowly. He has been taking batting practice with the team, but has not seen game action, yet. The most recent reports out of A's camp indicated that he was ahead of schedule, but it may be a few weeks before he makes his first official appearance. Ken Macha is optimistic that Frank will at-bats towards the end of ST, as Save McCuddy's pointed out.

Chicken Dinner
03-14-2006, 10:16 AM
"Thomas did say that his left foot is coming along fine and he hopes to be ready by April 1, when the Athletics host San Francisco in an exhibition game in Oakland."

Baby Fisk
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Thomas wisely chose to keep quiet about the Sox when interviewed yesterday. linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox14.html)

"I'll be honest, I've got nothing else to say about the White Sox,'' Thomas said Monday. "It's time to turn the page. I'm out of there. Big Frank has officially left the building.''

Jaffar
03-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Another story from whitesox.com Frank Status (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060313&content_id=1348175&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

He gone
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/385803.jpg

RKMeibalane
03-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Thomas wisely chose to keep quiet about the Sox when interviewed yesterday. linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox14.html)

Good. Maybe he's finally learned to be quiet.

mike squires
03-15-2006, 11:28 PM

I wonder if " Officially left the building" is his way of saying he isn't coming back later in some capacity with the Sox. Or maybe I'm reading to much into it? I remember making a post months before he had officially left the Sox that when he leaves, I hope it is amicable. It's a shame.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
...the A's want to see him scoring from second and going first to third.
Then whoever bats behind Frank had better plan on hitting a lot of home runs.

RKMeibalane
03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Then whoever bats behind Frank had better plan on hitting a lot of home runs.

That would be Milton Bradley.

SoLongFrank
03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060318&content_id=1354838&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak
Latest on The Big Hurt. Pretty kewl story. I like Kenny a lot but I would love to see Frank duel him in a steel cage match. Maybe in their retirement days.
:D:

The Critic
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
To me, that whole flareup with KW is in the past, and I'm back to wanting Frank to do well against everyone except the Chicago White Sox.
I really hope he can stay healthy and help the A's.

pearso66
03-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Is anyone else hoping that May 22nd, the White Sox take the moment of Franks return to Chicago, to not only retire his number, but maybe be able to get a picture of him up on the wall in left field?

SOXandILLINI
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
No

PaleHosed
03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Is anyone else hoping that May 22nd, the White Sox take the moment of Franks return to Chicago, to not only retire his number, but maybe be able to get a picture of him up on the wall in left field?
I don't know if it would be a good idea this year, but at some point in the future I expect to see that number on the wall and even though his number is not officially retired, I don't think they should let anybody have 35 anymore since it will be at some point anyway. It just wouldn't be right for some rookie to come in with Frank's number.

Nellie_Fox
03-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Is anyone else hoping that May 22nd, the White Sox take the moment of Franks return to Chicago, to not only retire his number, but maybe be able to get a picture of him up on the wall in left field?This keeps getting brought up. Retiring numbers of players who haven't retired yet is stupid. The Sox are the only team to ever do it, with Harold; it was stupid then and would be stupid now. Retire his number after he's through using it.

pearso66
03-21-2006, 06:22 PM
This keeps getting brought up. Retiring numbers of players who haven't retired yet is stupid. The Sox are the only team to ever do it, with Harold; it was stupid then and would be stupid now. Retire his number after he's through using it.

The thing is, he is done using it. I doubt he'll ever come back to the Sox as a player, and if he does sign a contract, it will be so he can retire in a White Sox uniform. To me, it would go a long way to smooth things over with the Big Guy to retire his number in his first game back. I don't see it as stupid, I see it as good publicity, and being very good to a former player.

Save McCuddy's
03-21-2006, 11:55 PM
The thing is, he is done using it. I doubt he'll ever come back to the Sox as a player, and if he does sign a contract, it will be so he can retire in a White Sox uniform. To me, it would go a long way to smooth things over with the Big Guy to retire his number in his first game back. I don't see it as stupid, I see it as good publicity, and being very good to a former player.

Amen -- not to mention the horde of Hurt fans that would eat up that gesture.

Nellie_Fox
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
The thing is, he is done using it. I doubt he'll ever come back to the Sox as a player, and if he does sign a contract, it will be so he can retire in a White Sox uniform. To me, it would go a long way to smooth things over with the Big Guy to retire his number in his first game back. I don't see it as stupid, I see it as good publicity, and being very good to a former player.I believe he's still wearing #35 for Oakland. He's not done with it.

Yeah, being good to a former player. "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, but if you come back to town with another team, let us make a big deal out of it for a good gate attraction."

According to the Sun-Times, Kenny was running around ordering all remnants of Frank removed from the ballpark. You think he wants Frank's picture on the wall?

I guess I'm part of the "horde of Hurt fans," and I would definitely not "eat up" that gesture. I'd see it as world-class phoney and insincere.

Plus, I stick to my belief that retiring the number of a player who isn't retired is just stupid.

TomBradley72
03-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I
I guess I'm part of the "horde of Hurt fans," and I would definitely not "eat up" that gesture. I'd see it as world-class phoney and insincere.

Plus, I stick to my belief that retiring the number of a player who isn't retired is just stupid.

No way do we do it before Frank retires...the Harold Baines thing taught us that lesson. We don't need to patch things up with Frank....he has stopped whining/bitching/moaning about being let go and Kenny has stopped overreacting to his comments.

Retire #35 and put up a statue the 1st season after he retires.

Chicken Dinner
03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Obviously the Sox are respecting the number by not letting anyone else wear it. You cannot retire it though, until Frank is clearly off of all rosters as a player.

PorkChopExpress
03-22-2006, 02:08 PM
It looks like Frank is supposed to face some A's major-league pitchers today, per espn.com.

SoLongFrank
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Frank is at that age where he's trade bait each & every year he plays. You can't predict injuries nor whether a team like the A's will remain in contention year after year.

If the A's fall out of contention & something were to happen to Thome & Ozzie felt Frank could help Kenny would pull that trade. Kenny's a dealer. He's never been shy with trading for short-timers.

TDog
03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Obviously the Sox are respecting the number by not letting anyone else wear it. You cannot retire it though, until Frank is clearly off of all rosters as a player.

Are the Sox not letting anyone else where it or are players showing respect (or discretion) by not asking to wear it? When Bee Bee Richard came up in 1971 to "replace" Looie Aparicio, he first wore 11. Then the team switched him to 9. I had read it was a pressure thing.

Actually, he may be the only person in Sox history who had two of his numbers retired, although not in his name.

Nellie_Fox
03-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Are the Sox not letting anyone else where it or are players showing respect (or discretion) by not asking to wear it? :?:

lloyder
03-23-2006, 12:43 AM
According to the Sun-Times, Kenny was running around ordering all remnants of Frank removed from the ballpark. You think he wants Frank's picture on the wall?

This is untrue, though I did read it as well in the paper. When my buddies and I were down in Tucson at the beginning of the month, we were fortunate enough to be able to go inside the Sox offices, and as soon as you step out of the elevator on the right side there's a HUGE picture of Frank and Harold from a number of years back. Just fwiw...

TDog
03-23-2006, 02:10 AM
:?:

Good point. Maybe I should read what I right before I push submit.

Nellie_Fox
03-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Frank had two more doubles off of minor-leaguers, says he's ready to go against major-league pitching.

Link (http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060323&content_id=1360720&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak)

soxinem1
03-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I think Frank is on a mission. I say he hits over .300 with the patented Frank power. He seems to have the drive he had for the 2000 season.

As far as retiring #35, they should not let anyone wear it until he is either re-aqcuired or has it retired when he hangs it up. I remember when Baines and Eddie Murray had the numbers retired, and it just looked like a confusing fiasco by both the White Sox and Orioles, especially with Murray, because he wanted out. Baines just stood there listening to John Rooney pay tribute when they did his, then got three straight hits followed by three straight GIDP's by Pete Incaviglia.

They all need to simmer down let some bad tidings pass over, then do it at a later, more appropriate date.

I think a five minute standing ovation is more fitting for Frank his first game back. That keeps it between him and the fans, no Kenny and Frank, no Jerry and Frank, just Fans and Frank.

PaulDrake
03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Frank had two more doubles off of minor-leaguers, says he's ready to go against major-league pitching.

Link (http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060323&content_id=1360720&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak) Franks looks if not svelte, in pretty good shape. It hurt a little to see him in that uniform.

TomBradley72
03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Update from Oakland Tribune....says he'll be ready by Opening Day:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_3634967

RKMeibalane
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Update from Oakland Tribune....says he'll be ready by Opening Day:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_3634967

Along the same lines, Frank is supposed to be examined by Oakland team physicians this afternoon. If he's cleared, he will play in his ST game tomorrow.

RKMeibalane
03-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Frank has been cleared, and will be in the A's lineup tomorrow.

FarWestChicago
03-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm in the Bay Area this weekend. I heard the A's beat writer on KNBR last night saying the A's are planning to play Big Frank about 2/3 of the time, around 100 games. They are worried about his size and the foot/ankle. They don't intend to push him too hard. This may be the best policy for getting the big man to a 'roid free 500. :thumbsup:

JorgeFabregas
03-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Frank has been cleared, and will be in the A's lineup tomorrow.
Here's the story: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/25/sports/s161235S90.DTL

RKMeibalane
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm in the Bay Area this weekend. I heard the A's beat writer on KNBR last night saying the A's are planning to play Big Frank about 2/3 of the time, around 100 games. They are worried about his size and the foot/ankle. They don't intend to push him too hard. This may be the best policy for getting the big man to a 'roid free 500. :thumbsup:

I agree. I think they should avoid overworking him, especially early in the season. I wonder if they've decided anything about him playing one or two games at first base during interleague: that may be something that they'll deal with once they know that he can play most of the games, which is by no means a certainty.

I'm pulling for Frank to have a big season, not for the A's, but for himself. People are writing him off (again), and it would be nice to see the stupid looks on people's faces once they realize they were wrong (yet again).

Lip Man 1
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
It is interesting that Frank appears to be in better shape (less weight) then his final years with the Sox. I'm glad he finally realized this but it's also sad that it took two leg injuries and him signing with the A's before he finally got it through his head.

Oh well...

Lip

SoLongFrank
03-26-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca26.html
Bradley & The Big Hurt as their DH combo. Lethal.

A's hitting coach Gerald Perry: ''His timing is great. 'He's putting the barrel of the bat on the ball. He's laying off tough pitches off the plate. He's been going pretty hard. He'll be ready for Opening Day. I have no doubt about it.''

Lip Man 1
03-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Interesting....considering here is what Phil Rogers had in his Sunday column:

"Frank Thomas has babied his left foot during spring training but won't have that luxury when the season starts. His health worries A's officials, who took him because they didn't have the money to sign Nomar Garciaparra."

Lip

RKMeibalane
03-26-2006, 05:29 PM

"Frank Thomas has babied his left foot during spring training but won't have that luxury when the season starts. His health worries A's officials, who took him because they didn't have the money to sign Nomar Garciaparra."

Lip

I tend to put more stock in what the A's medical and coaching staffs say, as they've been following Frank's situation more closely than a Cubune hack.

Unregistered
03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Frank went 1-3 with a solo HR off Josh Fogg against Colorado in today's 3-1 A's victory.

RKMeibalane
03-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Frank went 1-3 with a solo HR off Josh Fogg against Colorado in today's 3-1 A's victory.

Good for him. Interesting that it happened against Fogg. I cringe everytime I hear that name, as it reminds me of the infamous Todd Ritchie trade.

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2006, 03:04 AM

LipI'm trying to figure you out on this, Lip. Where do you stand? Are you hoping for Frank to fail? If so, why?

Your posts seem negative about Frank without attaching yourself to them.

mccombe_35
03-27-2006, 08:52 AM
"That went a long way," Haren said of the homer. Added Nick Swisher: "Oh my God! I don't think I even saw it land!"

Lip Man 1
03-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Nellie:

The only time I hope Frank fails is when (if) he bats against the White Sox. Other then that I hope he does well especially against the Cleveland's, Minnesota's, Kansas City's and Detroit's of the world.

I will admit that I wasn't happy though when he precipitated the 'back and forth' with Williams. Both men were wrong but in my opinion, Frank started the fracas so he should have known what was going to come from it.

He is a Hall of Famer who will go in wearing a White Sox hat.

I just found it interesting that some on the board are saying how good he looks.. is ready to go and so forth and yet Rogers, who has access to people and information that we don't have, is saying basically the opposite.

Lip

Taliesinrk
03-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I just found it interesting that some on the board are saying how good he looks.. is ready to go and so forth and yet Rogers, who has access to people and information that we don't have, is saying basically the opposite.

Lip

Yeah.. we all know how much his paper looooves the White Sox... Seriously, they've been bashing Frank for over a decade and a half.. why stop now??

SoLongFrank
03-27-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_3643443 - why can't we have writers like this in Chicago? It reads like a movie script.

Dan Haren:"It was so awesome. I know he's got (448 career) home runs. I was so happy for him. I don't know why. It was just fun seeing him hit that ball a long way. It's going to be fun watching him this year."

Near capacity crowd of about 7100 gave him an ovation at PMS.

Macha's season starting lineup: Ellis, Kotsay, Crosby, Chavez, Thomas, Bradley, Payton, Kendall and Swisher vs The Big Unit of NYY$'s.

Speaking of Milton Bradley (the player, not the game maker): The RF wore a floppy green wig under his cap on St. Patty's day.

What does he like most about the A's? Veteran guys who blend in with everybody else. It helps as well that there are a lot of SoCal guys there.

Frank Thomas doesn't hurt anything either. Where Kent was a vet with nothing to prove & a lot to boast about, Thomas finds himself in a position wanting to prove to the world he's still The Big Hurt. That makes him more aggressive & more hungry than the average vet & that invigorates young players looking for fresh starts as well.

brewcrew/chisox
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca26.html
Bradley & The Big Hurt as their DH combo. Lethal.

A's hitting coach Gerald Perry: ''His timing is great. 'He's putting the barrel of the bat on the ball. He's laying off tough pitches off the plate. He's been going pretty hard. He'll be ready for Opening Day. I have no doubt about it.''

Also from that article:

Macha will have his hands full with potential clubhouse disturbances in designated hitter Frank Thomas and pitcher Esteban Loaiza, both of whom were dispatched from the White Sox partly because of their personalities.

Loaiza left because of his personality?:?: Can someone explain this to me?

Unregistered
03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Also from that article:

Loaiza left because of his personality?:?: Can someone explain this to me?Well, he was openly complaining about his lack of run support around the time he was traded, IIRC...

EndemicSox
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
He looks good, must have lost 15-20 pounds. Hopefully he hits .300 with 40 homers.

TDog
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Loaiza left because of his personality?:?: Can someone explain this to me?

Maybe he had such a great personality that opposing hitters felt too comfortable with him.

soxfanreggie
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
I refuse to admit that Frank is playing for the A's...in my mind he's retired!

Lip Man 1
03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Don't forget the clubhouse presense of Milton Bradley...LOL

Lip

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I refuse to admit that Frank is playing for the A's...in my mind he's retired!And in my mind, I'm thin, young, handsome and rich. :(:

RKMeibalane
03-27-2006, 08:24 PM

Keep in mind, however, that the A's medical staff is happy with his progress, and they have information that Rogers doesn't have.

esbrechtel
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
i read that he hit a homer yesterday, i also read struck out twice.....

NSSoxFan
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
How is Frank running? The problem isn't going to be his hitting, it's going to be how he can do when he gets a hit other than a HR.