PDA

View Full Version : How to quiet a loudmouth Cubbie fan...

DrCrawdad
03-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I keep hearing crap from loudmouth Cubbie fans (often unprovoked too) about the '05 World Series TV ratings and/or the popularity of the Sox. Here are a few of my responses. Please feel free to post your response.

What were the TV ratings the last time the Cubbies won the World Series? What were the TV ratings the last time the Cubbies were in the World Series? Oh, that's right no Cubbie World Series game has ever been televised.

What was the attendance at the Cubbies last World Series win at Wrigley Field? Oh, that's right the Cubbies have never won a WS game at Wrigley Field.

Where did the Cubbies play when they won their last World Series game in Chicago? Comiskey Park

What matters more to Cubbie fans, winning the World Series or winning a popularity contest?

kittle42
03-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't know what they'll ever do if their Attendance Championship reign ends.

SOXPHILE
03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
After laughing at them, I usually just repeat over and over again "Yeah, but the White Sox won the World Series". That usually wears them out and shuts them down pretty quick, presenting them with those silly little things called "facts". The aforementioned things are good too, about Wrigley not seeing a Cubs WS Championship, T.V. ratings, etc. Also, when we Sox fans demonstrate not only our vast knowledge of the game, our team, and the facts and history of it, and couple that with more facts about how their team really is the most pathetic, futile, losing organization in all pro sports, they (Cub fans) look like a deer in headlights. They are amazed by not only how much we know about our team and the game, but by the fact that we probably know more about THEIR team and it's history as well. At times, some just break down and sob.

MarySwiss
03-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Guess you guys didn't get the memo. According to some newbies--and one or two oldbies--we're not supposed to talk about Cubbies and Cub fans anymore, especially if we say anything--Gawd help us!--negative. We're supposed to rise above such things.

DrCrawdad
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
After laughing at them, I usually just repeat over and over again "Yeah, but the White Sox won the World Series". That usually wears them out and shuts them down pretty quick, presenting them with those silly little things called "facts". The aforementioned things are good too, about Wrigley not seeing a Cubs WS Championship, T.V. ratings, etc. Also, when we Sox fans demonstrate not only our vast knowledge of the game, our team, and the facts and history of it, and couple that with more facts about how their team really is the most pathetic, futile, losing organization in all pro sports, they (Cub fans) look like a deer in headlights. They are amazed by not only how much we know about our team and the game, but by the fact that we probably know more about THEIR team and it's history as well. At times, some just break down and sob.

The funny thing is that Wrigley has NEVER seen a single World Series win by the Cubbies!

I whipped out the above facts on a Cubbie fan who gave me crap yesterday at Quigleys. Mr. Cubbie fan did not know the answers to my questions. He stumbled away with his tail between his legs, so to speak.

I emailed the photos of The Other Trophy around to friends and family. My brother-in-law responded with the popularity/attendance crap. I responded with the questions above. So far no reply from my Cubbie fan brother-in-law.

I do like your suggestion about repeating, "Yeah, but the White Sox won the World Series..." My response when it gets stupid is just to say, "1908."

SoxSpeed22
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
The funny thing is that Wrigley has NEVER seen a single World Series win by the Cubbies!This is not true, the Cubs won game 6 in 1945 in Wrigley in extra innings.

rowand33
03-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Typical jealous Cub-fan scenarios:

Cub fan: The ratings were low. Nobody cares that you won a world series,
Me: I care, that's really all that matters to me.

Me: I saw the trophy today, it was awesome.
Cub fan: I bet nobody even went because nobody cares you won the world series.
Me: Hey, let me know when the attendance trophy comes to champaign and I'll go with you to see it.

Cub fan: 2006 is gonna be our year, you watch and see.
Me: You have Jacque Jones on your team.

I don't blame them though. If they would have won it last year and we had no hope of winning it now, I'd be jealous as hell too.

DrCrawdad
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
This is not true, the Cubs won game 6 in 1945 in Wrigley in extra innings.

You're right! I repent in dust and ashes. If this were pointed out to me by a Cubbie fan, I'd say
"You're right, I missed that one win from 61 years ago."

However, the Cubbies still have NOT won a televised WS game there though.

WSox597
03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
How to quiet a loudmouth Cubbie fan...

The 2006 World Series Champion White Sox should do that for all time.

1951Campbell
03-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Guess you guys didn't get the memo. According to some newbies--and one or two oldbies--we're not supposed to talk about Cubbies and Cub fans anymore, especially if we say anything--Gawd help us!--negative. We're supposed to rise above such things.

Cubsession = bad.

Packsession = good?

:dunno:

SoxSpeed22
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Cubsession = bad.

Packsession = good?

:dunno:Hey, nobody ever said that this was a Bears' site. Even though it's pretty damn close, it's not.

SOecks
03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
This is not true, the Cubs won game 6 in 1945 in Wrigley in extra innings.

You may be right, but if you say it with enough confidence it will still make them feel stupid becasue you know only 1 out of 100,000 of them will know the truth.

TomBradley72
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
I always concede the whole popularity argument...but with a question: "Name one other professional sports franchise who's fans' main argument is around their team's popularity not the team's performance on the field?"

It always gets very quiet at the point.

Wsoxmike59
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/stereographics/ipodphoto/a1905s.jpg

I told my "enemy" Cub fan friends at work after they informed me the 2005 World Series was history, and to stop living in the past.....Hey I replied..."At least I don't need a stereoscope to view my teams' World Series Highlight Reel"

wsox3505
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I never understood the whole ratings argument.

Unless you're a network exec or MLB employee, why would you care about ratings? If you're a baseball fan, you watch in october, if not, why would an average fan really care?

stick it cowherd!

Chicken Dinner
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
This exact thing happened to me yesterday at the Brewers Cubs game in Maryville. Some idiot kept spouting off at me about the low TV ratings of the World Series. My response was the the ratings were really low also for the ticker tape parade......only 3 million Chicagoans. I then looked at him and said "good luck this year buddy " and walked away. There were also a lot of Cub fans saying what are you doing at a Cub game" which I replied, "last time I checked I was at a Brewer game". Silence.

Baby Fisk
03-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Cub fans = it's about popularity
Sox fans = it's about winning

spiffie
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Perhaps as part of a new era of being better people and not perpetuating these ugly stereotypes about our fan base we can give one of the following responses to people who become angry or confrontational with us:

1. "I understand your disappointment, and sincerely hope that you and all of your devoted fans can bask in the glory of a World Series title very soon. May peace, serenity and success find all those in your beloved franchise. Go Cubbies!" Follow this up with a handshake or hug as appropriate.

2. "I would like to apologize for the behavior of a certain section of White sox fans. They have brought shame and disgrace upon our name for many years now. Because, in the end, aren't we all Chicago fans? So ignore those ruffians and ne'er-do-well's who mock you and your ever-loyal fanbase. We should be aspiring to your unwavering love and optimism for your team, and your ability to ignore the taunting and vile utterances of these supposed 'White Sox fans' who simply use our name to spread their venom."

If we begin this now, within 10-15 years I have no doubt that the world will look upon us as paragons of virtue, nobility, decency, and concern for our fellow baseball fans. So go hug a Cub fan today!!!

0o0o0
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
I keep hearing crap from loudmouth Cubbie fans (often unprovoked too) about the '05 World Series TV ratings and/or the popularity of the Sox. Here are a few of my responses. Please feel free to post your response.

this dude i know had an away message on instant messenger that may have been one of the dumbest things i've ever seen. he did the whole attendance spiel and said something along the lines of "The white sox still suck. No one cares that they won the world series. So until some one actually cares that they won, they still suck."
I didn't even know if it was worth responding to. I likened it to trying to talk to a 3 yr old or an extremely drunk person. But I responded anyway, simply bringing up the irony of him taking the time out to devote an entire away message to no one caring that sox won.
what a fool.

DaleJRFan
03-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't know what they'll ever do when their Attendance Championship reign ends this season.

Fixed it for you. :D:

johnr1note
03-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Another interesting trivial statistic for Cub fans ---

When the Sox play at Wrigley Field this year for the interleague series with the Cubs, it will be second time in Wrigley Field history that a team that calls Chicago home has played a game there as the defending world champs.

The other time? 1964, and the team was the Chicago Bears.

TommyJohn
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't think such idiocy dignifies a response. But if I were to respond,
I'd say something on the order of:

1. "You're right." (hang my head in shame) "You're so right. The ratings
for the Cubs in the 2003 and 2004 World Series were much higher."

2. "I know. The ratings for the 2003 NLCS were much higher."

3. "What's your point?"

4. "last time I checked, high ratings weren't a requirement to win the
World Series."

5. "You're a moron."

tick53
03-13-2006, 11:00 AM
How do I shut a Cub fan up? I point to my WS Sox cap. :smile:

32nd&Wallace
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
The alst time the Cubs were in the WS there was no television.

Dick Allen
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
My only response to these idiots would be to yawn and say, "You're boring me with your stupidity".

CaptainBallz
03-13-2006, 01:13 PM
1. "I understand your disappointment, and sincerely hope that you and all of your devoted fans can bask in the glory of a World Series title very soon. May peace, serenity and success find all those in your beloved franchise. Go Cubbies!" Follow this up with a handshake or hug as appropriate.

I've actually gone this route with most of the Sox vs. Flubs conversations ever since October. It works quite well because it puts all the shame on the Flubbie fan and their futile existence while making you look like an understanding, humble person. You also get the added satisfaction of putting that glimmer of hope into their head and getting to watch it fade away one more season. :D:

Somewhat sadistic, but damn good fun.

ChiWavDave
03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I've actually gone this route with most of the Sox vs. Flubs conversations ever since October. It works quite well because it puts all the shame on the Flubbie fan and their futile existence while making you look like an understanding, humble person. You also get the added satisfaction of putting that glimmer of hope into their head and getting to watch it fade away one more season. :D:

Somewhat sadistic, but damn good fun.

I too have gone the "We got ours, I hope you get the chance to feel as great as I do" spin as well. they don't really have a response, its like you run into your ex after you married a supermodel. Your happiness and genuine hope that she has the same happiness, will crush her spirit faster than anything. Misery loves company, and we ain't miserable anymore. They are left alone, desperate, hopeless, insecure, etc. Why make them feel their place in town is still secure but falling into the same Sox/Cubs arguments that have gone on forever. They paradigm has fundamentally shifted, you should exploit/enjoy it to its maximum. If you miss the trash talk, find an Indian's fan and ask them about the last week of the season or wear your Pierzynski jersey to AngelsFest...