PDA

View Full Version : Ligue gets 5 years

SaltyPretzel
03-12-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0603120250mar12,1,544694.story?coll=chi-news-hed

JohnBasedowYoda
03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I'll bake him one of those cakes with tools inside.

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0603120250mar12,1,544694.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Wow, they mention the incident at the KC game! Shocking!

Glad to see this goof going behind bars. Hopefully, we don't have to hear about him for a few years.

Brian26
03-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Justice is finally served on this tool.

voodoochile
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow, they mention the incident at the KC game! Shocking!

Glad to see this goof going behind bars. Hopefully, we don't have to hear about him for a few years.

I doubt it. The trib will probably interview his cellmate on the anniversary of the day he beat up the KC coach...:rolleyes:

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Good deal. That's where he belongs, obviously.

kevin57
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
It's about time.

A low-level felon, though, never got this much pub...Hangar, where are you now? :cool:

Dan H
03-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Too bad it is only five years. But at least there is some justice. Hope he makes a lot of new boyfriends.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-12-2006, 03:18 PM
It's about time.

A low-level felon, though, never got this much pub...Hangar, where are you now? :cool:

Hangar was on the jury

MarySwiss
03-12-2006, 04:30 PM
This actually scares the hell out of me. I am sure that every minor scrape this bozo gets into during his incarceration will be featured prominently in the Sports section of the local rags. As this story was.

And each and every story will begin:
"Sox fan who attacked coach...."

Edit: Thanks, mods!

SOXPHILE
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
This actually scares the hell out of me. I am sure that every minor scrape this bozo gets into during his incarceration will be featured prominently in the Sports section of the local rags. As this story was.

And each and every story will begin:
"Sox fan who attacked coach...."

Yep. You got it. If he gets punched in the shower, or into an "altercation" in the exercise yard, I'm pretty sure we'll see a blurb somewhere in the Trib telling us about it, informing us, of course, that he is "Sox fan William Ligue" and reminding us that he ran on the field in 2002 and attacked the KC 3rd base coach. Meanwhile, hey, does anyone know what that idiot Trib employee who stole Chad Krueter's hat and started a "little fracas" at the Urinal back in 2000, is doing these days ?

Milw
03-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Ligue was the perpetrator of an extremely public assault, and arguably the ugliest incident of violence in the history of Chicago sports. He is a newsworthy figure, like it or not, and every scrape with the law he has the rest of his life should and will be covered by the media. It sucks, but that's the reality of it.

MarySwiss
03-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Ligue was the perpetrator of an extremely public assault, and arguably the ugliest incident of violence in the history of Chicago sports. He is a newsworthy figure, like it or not, and every scrape with the law he has the rest of his life should and will be covered by the media. It sucks, but that's the reality of it.

I don't disagree. But it was an act of assault. That's a crime. So why are these stories invariably linked to the sports section? And why does the headline always say something like, "Sox fan who attacked coach....?"

Milw
03-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't disagree. But it was an act of assault. That's a crime. So why are these stories invariably linked to the sports section? And why does the headline always say something like, "Sox fan who attacked coach....?"
The location in the sports section is a legitimate point. As for him being identified as "Sox fan who attacked coach ..." The attack is why he is a newsworthy figure. Now, you're right, it's been proven that he's not actually a Sox fan, but chances are that the headline writer doesn't realize that.

SoxSpeed22
03-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Now, you're right, it's been proven that he's not actually a Sox fan, but chances are that the headline writer doesn't realize that.Or there are better chances that the headline writer doesn't care.

maurice
03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
why are these stories invariably linked to the sports section? And why does the headline always say something like, "Sox fan who attacked coach....?"

It's because editors George Knue and Dan McGrath are trying to pad the Sox story total in Hangar's Media Watch columns to minimize the Trib self-imposed embarrassment.

It's definitely NOT because they are raging Sox-haters who work for the company that owns the in-town competition.

PaulDrake
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Why is it that I have the name Ligue firmly in my memory bank and I have no idea who the perpetrator is of that gunshot homicide outside Wrigley Field?

TDog
03-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Why is it that I have the name Ligue firmly in my memory bank and I have no idea who the perpetrator is of that gunshot homicide outside Wrigley Field?

Because Ligue ran onto the field during a game, interrupting play, and committed an assault. It was national news. It would have been national news if it happened at Wrigley Field or Petco Park.

It's unfortunate that it happened at the Cell.

roylestillman
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
It was a banner day for Alsip with the Ligue story side by side with the son of the Alsip police chief accused of being a bookie at local high schools. Ah, they'll be raising a glass at the Chateau Bu Che tonight.

TommyJohn
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Because Ligue ran onto the field during a game, interrupting play, and committed an assault. It was national news. It would have been national news if it happened at Wrigley Field or Petco Park.

The fight with the Dodger bullpen was national news. Can you tell me
what happened to those guys? Can you even tell me their names?

chisoxfan64
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
How about the names of all the people who threatened Bartman`s life over a foul ball.

PaulDrake
03-13-2006, 05:20 PM

It's unfortunate that it happened at the Cell. Whoa wait a minute. Ligue the disgusting dirtbag that he is still didn't kill anybody. Granted the shooting I referenced didn't happen inside Wrigley, but if a similar situation happened this close to the Cell, we'd never hear the end of it.

Hangar18
03-13-2006, 05:38 PM

How come the same zeal isnt applied when that Cub fan ran on the field and tried to assault Randy Myers? It was quickly covered up.

How come the same zeal isnt applied when that entire RF section of Cub "fans" that fought with the Dodgers after a cub fan took a hat and tried to run? That was national news too. It was quickly covered up.

How come the same zeal isnt applied to the 4 cub fans that ran on the field at the Cell that nite against KC? One of them tried to attack the umpire? Later, other news agencies discovered that the 4 indeed were cub fans who had attended the cub game earlier ........that too ws quickly covered up.

How come that same zeal isnt applied to the cub fan that threw a cell phone and almost hit a Padre player coming back to the dugout? Another cover-up

How come the same zeal isnt applied to the guy who shot and killed a Cub fan right after a game in front of the dang stadium? Cover Up.

How come the same zeal isnt applied to the cub "fans" who, after they were eliminated by the Marlins, began trashing all the garbage cans on Sheffield resulting in the Police having to handle a mini-riot? Another cover up.

TDog
03-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Whoa wait a minute. Ligue the disgusting dirtbag that he is still didn't kill anybody. Granted the shooting I referenced didn't happen inside Wrigley, but if a similar situation happened this close to the Cell, we'd never hear the end of it.

You are probably right if you are talking about Cubs fans giving you a hard time. If your assumption is the media would report a shooting close to the Cell differently from a shooting close to Wrigley, I believe you are incorrect.

You could get into a discussion about why some stories capture public interest more than others. Why would a girl who disappears from her home in Colorado become tabloid fodder for years while a girl disappearing from her home in Yuma, Arizona, generates no interest outside of her hometown. In fact, people kill people every day. Few murders gain public attention. I sat through a trial a year ago for a murder committed on a Southeast Alaska island, and only one reporter was present. Earlier this year, I sat through a trial for a murder committed on a Southeast Alaska island and sat next to someone from NBC while Court TV filmed the whole thing. There are murders in Chicago that people care about and others that are scarcely reported in the media. It has nothing to do with what baseball team might be embarrassed.

Sometimes players get into altercations with fans in the stands. The incident with the Dodgers at Wrigley might have been reported on ESPN (which I don't watch -- I only know about the incident because people at WSI talk about it). But the Ligue incident transcended sports and became a national news story because it was a unique story.

As I said, it's a shame it happened at the Cell.

South Side Irish
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I have to give it to Hangar this time. While the Cub paranoia can run rampant, he's dead on here. There is a strong racial, cultural, and economical bias toward the cell. People have an image (like the whole South Side) of it being Black, dangerous, scary, and poor. While parts are, the area is steadily improving. One dumbass has given Sox fans, the Cell and the South Side an unfair reputation. While some is intentional and some isn't, the bias beat into your head time and time again sticks. People believe what they hear.

The PR machine of the Cubs/Wrigleyville don't want to lose their coveted tourist-friendly, lovey-dovey, money making image. I find it hard to believe that the Tribune would mention these crimes knowing full well they would eventually hurt their image, then their pocketbook. I don't like playing the cynical role, but this is a business, and the sterotypes that perpetuate our City play a big part in that.

maurice
03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
But the Ligue incident transcended sports and became a national news story because it was a unique story.

This is BS. As Hangar illustrated, this is not remotely "a unique story." Moreover, news stories don't "capture public interest," they capture media interest. The media control what stories they report and what stories they ignore. Editors assign stories and write headlines. In this case, the Trib has chosen time and again to report non-baseball conduct related to Ligue while ignoring the folks who performed analogous (or worse) conduct at the Urinal. It's not a coincidence that Trib Corp owns the Cubs, the Urinal, and other businesses located near the Wrigley murder.

soxinem1
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:NT962axp8U0RwM:http://www.tituslabs.com/OAL%2520Applause.jpg (http://www.tituslabs.com/OAL%20Applause.jpg)

As I've said before:

'The Chicago Tribune - In a Ligue of their own'

TDog
03-13-2006, 06:49 PM
This is BS. As Hangar illustrated, this is not remotely "a unique story." Moreover, news stories don't "capture public interest," they capture media interest. The media control what stories they report and what stories they ignore. Editors assign stories and write headlines. In this case, the Trib has chosen time and again to report non-baseball conduct related to Ligue while ignoring the folks who performed analogous (or worse) conduct at the Urinal. It's not a coincidence that Trib Corp owns the Cubs, the Urinal, and other businesses located near the Wrigley murder.

Decorum prevents me from responding to your charge that my post was BS. But I know what I am talking about.

I am a Sox fan and never have or ever will work for the Tribune Company. I'm not making a blanket defense for Tribune news judgment. But I do know how news works. Ligue was a big story in media that was competing with media affiliated with the Cubs. It was a national news story that people talked about all over the country, reported by many publications that, coincidentally, are not affiliated with the Cubs. There was an obvious difference between the details of this incident and others cited. Nancy Kerrigan's assault did not become a huge news story because the media hated Tanya Harding.

I really wish this happened in Wrigley, just as I think it would be great if Mark Prior suffered a career-ending injury so I wouldn't have to hear about his progress in simulated games anymore. When I heard the Ligue thing happening on the radio in Wisconsin, I knew it would stick with the Sox for years because it was such an ugly, ugly incident.

Whining that the media is picking on Sox fans by reporting further adventures of Ligue is as lame as Cubs fans whining that Sox fans won't "move on" after celebrating their World Series championship.

maurice
03-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Decorum prevents me from responding to your charge that my post was BS.

Then I guess you won't be able to respond to my statement that your most recent post is BS as well. Did "decorum" also prevent you from responding to the substantive claims in my previous post?

Ligue was a big story in media that was competing with media affiliated with the Cubs.

That's true. You'll find that anti-Sox media bias is not restricted to the Cubune. Then again, that's not the point of this thread. You're talking about the initial coverage of Ligue. We're complaining about the followup coverage.

It was a national news story that people talked about all over the country

So was the Wrigley bullpen incident, etc. Oddly enough, the Trib doesn't do followup stories on those perps. Note that the objections in this thread are to the selective followup stories and not to the first round of reporting. The exception to this rule is the Wrigley murder story, which initially received extensive media coverage from every Chicago media outlet except for the Tribune.

Nancy Kerrigan's assault did not become a huge news story because the media hated Tanya Harding.

That's right. And if Michelle Kwan's bodyguard attacked Sasha Cohn, it would receive comparable followup coverage to the Harding / Kerrigan fiasco. Again, you're completely missing the point.

I really wish this happened in Wrigley, just as I think it would be great if Mark Prior suffered a career-ending injury

Really? That's terrible.

TDog
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Then I guess you won't be able to respond to my statement that your most recent post is BS as well. Did "decorum" also prevent you from responding to the substantive claims in my previous post?....

Your "substantiative claims" were BS. The incident with the Dodgers was not a national news story, but a sports story about fans misbehaving. If you believe the incident compares with the Ligue incident and deserves the same coverage, you are incapable of taking part in this debate. And you are trivializing the Ligue incident. Nothing you cited rose to the level of ugliness the Ligue incident did. That is why it was reported in newspapers in Canada. That is why his continued misadventures continue to be news. The followup is legitimate news, whether you like it or not. Complaining that Sox fans are being picked on trivializes the original crime.

We are talking about news, which you obviously know nothing about. When Eugene Hasenfus was arrested in 2000 for misdemeanor indecent exposure in a Kmart parking lot on Bluemound Road in Brookfield, Wis., it was a news story because of who he was, which happened to be an embarrassment to George H.W. Bush. But it wasn't news because the masturbation story would embarrass the former president further. Anytime Jeff Gillooly runs into brushes with the law, it will be news, but not because people hate Tanya Harding. Gillooly didn't kill anyone either. It would be news if Steve Bartman were convicted of assault. And you probably wouldn't have Cubs fans whining about media bias.

If the Ligue incident had occurred in Wrigley Field, it would have received the same attention, and you would have a followup story on his further misadventures as well. People in Chicago may look at the cases differently. They may look at Ligue as an evil person who defiled their shrine, deflecting their shrine, but the news coverage wouldn't be any different. And if it had happened in Wrigley and there was no followup, you would be screaming "coverup."

Argue media bias. Argue that newsape rs and media outlets that are in fierce competition with the Tribune and WGN are following the Tribune Company's corporate agenda. I don't care. But when you use Ligue as a poster child for media bias against the Sox, you are only giving objective people reason to agree with those who stereotype Sox fans as people who wear tinfoil and whine that the world is against them.

voodoochile
03-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Your "substantiative claims" were BS. The incident with the Dodgers was not a national news story, but a sports story about fans misbehaving. If you believe the incident compares with the Ligue incident and deserves the same coverage, you are incapable of taking part in this debate. And you are trivializing the Ligue incident. Nothing you cited rose to the level of ugliness the Ligue incident did. That is why it was reported in newspapers in Canada. That is why his continued misadventures continue to be news. The followup is legitimate news, whether you like it or not. Complaining that Sox fans are being picked on trivializes the original crime.

We are talking about news, which you obviously know nothing about. When Eugene Hasenfus was arrested in 2000 for misdemeanor indecent exposure in a Kmart parking lot on Bluemound Road in Brookfield, Wis., it was a news story because of who he was, which happened to be an embarrassment to George H.W. Bush. But it wasn't news because the masturbation story would embarrass the former president further. Anytime Jeff Gillooly runs into brushes with the law, it will be news, but not because people hate Tanya Harding. Gillooly didn't kill anyone either. It would be news if Steve Bartman were convicted of assault. And you probably wouldn't have Cubs fans whining about media bias.

If the Ligue incident had occurred in Wrigley Field, it would have received the same attention, and you would have a followup story on his further misadventures as well. People in Chicago may look at the cases differently. They may look at Ligue as an evil person who defiled their shrine, deflecting their shrine, but the news coverage wouldn't be any different. And if it had happened in Wrigley and there was no followup, you would be screaming "coverup."

Argue media bias. Argue that newsape rs and media outlets that are in fierce competition with the Tribune and WGN are following the Tribune Company's corporate agenda. I don't care. But when you use Ligue as a poster child for media bias against the Sox, you are only giving objective people reason to agree with those who stereotype Sox fans as people who wear tinfoil and whine that the world is against them.

I agree that the two incidences are on different levels of ugliness and violence. I think the Lique attack especially in light of the hearing loss Gamboa suffered makes it especially newsworthy, BUT...

I disagree that the rest of his life becomes newsworthy because of that fact. If anything it makes repeat offenders more likely because this is one idiot who clearly doesn't care what kind of attention he gets so long as he gets attention.

About the ugliest fan attack I can recall was the Monica Seles stabbing by the crazed German fan of Steffi Graf. What was his name again? What is he doing these days? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

My point is that Lique is no more newsworthy today because he is in trouble than any other two-bit hustler/scammer/violent felon. In Chicago his level of crime wouldn't even make the newspaper if he wasn't a recognizable name. For the Trib to continue to bring him up on a yearly or semi-yearly basis does smack of bias, IMO. Of course I am biased the other way, so my analysis is also biased. I'm still not as biased as Hangar, so I got that going for me...

MarySwiss
03-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I agree that the two incidences are on different levels of ugliness and violence. I think the Lique attack especially in light of the hearing loss Gamboa suffered makes it especially newsworthy, BUT...

I disagree that the rest of his life becomes newsworthy because of that fact. If anything it makes repeat offenders more likely because this is one idiot who clearly doesn't care what kind of attention he gets so long as he gets attention.

About the ugliest fan attack I can recall was the Monica Seles stabbing by the crazed German fan of Steffi Graf. What was his name again? What is he doing these days? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

My point is that Lique is no more newsworthy today because he is in trouble than any other two-bit hustler/scammer/violent felon. In Chicago his level of crime wouldn't even make the newspaper if he wasn't a recognizable name. For the Trib to continue to bring him up on a yearly or semi-yearly basis does smack of bias, IMO. Of course I am biased the other way, so my analysis is also biased. I'm still not as biased as Hangar, so I got that going for me...

Well said, VC. (And nice Carl Spackler drop-in, BTW.) Of course, in fairness we need to mention that the Sun-Times also reported it. To the surprise of anyone?

maurice
03-14-2006, 05:20 PM
The incident with the Dodgers was not a national news story, but a sports story about fans misbehaving.

Wow, talk about splitting hairs....

Nothing you cited rose to the level of ugliness the Ligue incident did.

A fatal shooting doesn't rise to the level of an ugly fistfight? You're out of your mind. Murder >>> assault & battery. Other examples involve death threats and battery within Wrigley Field during a game. Your half-assed effort to distinguish one aggravated battery from another aggravated battery (again) amounts to splitting hairs.

The followup is legitimate news, whether you like it or not.

Repeating your unsupported assertion ad infinitum does not make it true. Repition is not evidence...or even argument.

Gillooly didn't kill anyone either.

Yet the Wrigley murderer DID kill somebody and receives no followup coverage. Wait, let me guess, the Wrigley murder is not newsworthy because it occurred on a Tuesday. Educate us all, O Alaskan master of objective media practices!

It would be news if Steve Bartman were convicted of assault.

Again, you're missing the point. Bartman was the VICTIM of assault. Yet, Bartman does receive regular mention in the press (to promote the Cubs and their loveable curse). The Cubs fans who committed crimes against him go unnamed.

If the Ligue incident had occurred in Wrigley Field, it would have received the same attention, and you would have a followup story on his further misadventures as well.

This clearly is BS, given the numerous examples provided in this thread.

if it had happened in Wrigley and there was no followup, you would be screaming "coverup."

Obviously, that's the point.
:kukoo:

TDog
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM

Yet the Wrigley murderer DID kill somebody and receives no followup coverage. Wait, let me guess, the Wrigley murder is not newsworthy because it occurred on a Tuesday. Educate us all, O Alaskan master of objective media practices!...

Obviously, that's the point.

If someone had been killed inside of Wrigley Field during a baseball game it would have been national news and a bigger story than Ligue. There is no comparison between a murder outside of a ballpark and a game incident. They are two different things. As I noted earlier, people kill people every day and there is not followup. Most murders receive no media attention at all because the crime is unfortunately common, especially in a city like Chicago. Even all murders aren't created equal. I witnessed an execution of someone who was a main character in a movie starring Robert Mitchum, but most executions aren't even reported in the national media. People around the country accept that people kill each other, even though they don't like it. They accept that fans get rowdy sometimes. Ligue took fan behavior to another level. That you cannot see why Ligue is a news story that gained widespread attention and not something that was reported on the sports pages and soon forgotten reflects either a refusal to see things objectively or some sort of mental defect. I wouldn't be replying to you if I thought you suffered from a mental defect.

I'm not defending the Tribune, but the result is that your arguments that the Sox are being picked on because of ongoing Ligue coverage makes Sox fans look like whining cry babies. Ligue is who you should be pissed at, not the Tribune.

santo=dorf
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
What about guy that went after an Astros outfielder in Milwaukee?
http://sports.espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/040914spiers.jpg

What about that Giants fan who shot and killed a Dodgers fan after a game in LA?

The Boston groundskeeper that got his ass kicked by Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia?

Was John Murray's firing from the Chicago Board of Trade for his actions at a Cubs game covered by the Tribune in the Cubs section?

:knue
"No comment. I'm too busy checking up on Hangar18's math skills."

maurice
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
There is no comparison between a murder outside of a ballpark and a game incident. They are two different things.

Fortunately, we've already provided numerous examples of game incidents at Wrigley (and elsewhere) that didn't receive any followup coverage..."news" coverage, "sports" coverage," or otherwise. The list contuinues to grow. Oh, I forgot. It only counts as a "unique major news incident" if it happens on a Tuesday in a month ending in the letter "Y."
:rolleyes:

As I noted earlier, people kill people every day and there is not followup.

You're arguing against yourself again. If a murder deserves zero coverage then a parole violation resulting from the theft of "a CD player from a car in the parking lot of a Harvey pizza restaurant" deserves less than zero coverage.

Most murders receive no media attention at all because the crime is unfortunately common, especially in a city like Chicago.

Unlike parole violations and stolen CD players.
:rolleyes:

Ligue took fan behavior to another level.

Along with scores of other "fans" who committed undistinguishable acts at other sports venues, including Wrigley.

I wouldn't be replying to you if I thought you suffered from a mental defect.

Thanks for the wonderful service of your reply. If only you could teach us to be perfectly objective and detached observers like you are, then maybe you could find a single non-Trib employee who agrees with you.

Plenty of members of the Chicago media agree with us. I guess they just don't understand how the media works!

TommyJohn
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
What about guy that went after an Astros outfielder in Milwaukee?
http://sports.espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/040914spiers.jpg

You are the first person on this board that has ever mentioned that
incident. It happened in 1999, and he jumped him right in the outfield
during an inning.

TDog
03-14-2006, 09:35 PM

If Guenter Parche were convicted in a Chicago-area courtroom being convicted of a violent crime, you would have heard about it. A German court sentenced him to receive psychiatric treatment, and he hasn't been in public trouble since. If Ligue had been sent to a mental institution, he wouldn't have made news again until Gov. Ryan ordered his release.

The fact that some people around here believe Ligue's continued adventures would be newsworthy if he had done what he did at Wrigley Field seems to speak to your (that is, the posters whining about bias here) double standard. His further troubles, if anything, show that he was not the typical Sox fan and that the team and their fans shouldn't be held accountable for his acts. He has problems and went to a Sox game. You wouldn't say Dealey Plaza is neighborhood because of Lee Harvey Oswald.

If you persist in complaining to everyone that they're picking on you, pretty soon they'll get annoyed enough that, if they;re not they probably will.

maurice
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
he hasn't been in public trouble since.

Or the media haven't reported any public trouble since, because it's not newsworthy. Absence of evidence =/= evidence of absence. It's extremely unlikely that the large number of folks listed in this thread are all one-time offenders, given their obvious penchant for drunk and disorderly conduct.

Moreover, given the lack of any posters who agree with your "arguments" (and the PMs I've received), it's pretty obvious that a large number of folks have placed you on their "ignore" list rather than reading your continuously illogical posts. On the advice of counsel, I'm going follow suit. Since these arguments have been repeated 100 times in 100 different threads, this one should be allowed to RIP.

TDog
03-15-2006, 02:42 AM
Or the media haven't reported any public trouble since, because it's not newsworthy. Absence of evidence =/= evidence of absence. It's extremely unlikely that the large number of folks listed in this thread are all one-time offenders, given their obvious penchant for drunk and disorderly conduct.

As I understand it, he is institutionalized. He hasn't been convicted of any probation violations in any case.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-15-2006, 08:46 AM
As I understand it, he is institutionalized. He hasn't been convicted of any probation violations in any case.

You're wrong. He was sent to jail last week for a parole violation that occurred in 2004. He has been in additional trouble since then, or haven't you been reading the newspapers? But Ligue is "newsworthy", right?

Parole violation from 2004. And now it's 2006.

You care to keep making yourself look like a fool or are you done?

soxinem1
03-16-2006, 08:18 AM
There is no question that the media bias shown by the trib angles on sensationalism, the way they have reported the Dodgers hat incident, the killing outside of Wrigley, and the Ligue BS. The sensationalism in the Ligue incident is highlighted because, unfortunately, a large and very telling portion was taped.

The one thing we fail to take into consideration is the fact that cameras taped the Ligue thing, when they showed the entire Royals team pulling these two idiots off of Gamboa, then being hauled away looking like two dopers on furlough. They only showed Chad Kreuter and Co going after the fans. Whoopdee doo, it happens all the time.

I remember once at Old Comiskey Pete Incaviglia was with Texas he went into the stands during BP because some guy was razing his college team. But did anyone know about it? No, because no one was there to tape it, and frankly, barely 1K were in the park.

Much like world events that are caught on camera, they leave a lasting image in our minds. There are some excellent examples from the 40's through the present (remember a certain event on the west coast in 1992?) that have made permanent impressions on us, and a lot of times, we do not even know it. In this case, Fisk's HR in the 1975 World Series could be an example. Admit it, you can picture him waving the ball fair as we speak! In a more White Sox note, how about Konerko's and Podsednik's HR's in Game Two of the World Series? Konerko's batting swing, especially, is stamped on my mind.

Unfortunately, the Ligue incident has left a lasting impresion on us.

So naturally, when something happens that people see, like the aftermath of those Monica Seles and Nancy Kerrigan attacks, people want to see more about it, good or bad. I still remember seeing them screaming and crying laying there wounded. The media knows this. So they run it into the ground until interest tapers off, or something else takes its place.

I agree with both of the arguments raised here to an extent, and agree that trib reporting is quite substandard, after all, how often do we hear about the jerk who attacked the umpire at The Cell a few years ago?

But I also agree that media outlets try to, and often suceed, in controlling what we know, how hard we want to follow it, and how we find out about it.

And by the way, I don't think we should wish harmful injuries on opposing teams players. I despise the cubs as much as anyone but Prior can pitch for the Sox anyday of the week if you ask me (being in one piece, of course).

And quite honestly, we shouldn't have to wish, the injuries are quite likely to happen on their own.