PDA

View Full Version : Signed Jersey Question

Two By Four
03-12-2006, 05:30 AM
I bought a signed White Sox #25 Jim Thome jersey last night at a live charity auction. Paid $825 for it (like I said it was for a good cause). Not being a collector myself, I was curious how much I overpaid? What is something like that worth (not that I am going to sell it, just curious).

FarSouthSoxFan
03-12-2006, 05:50 AM
I bought a signed White Sox #25 Jim Thome jersey last night at a live charity auction. Paid $825 for it (like I said it was for a good cause). Not being a collector myself, I was curious how much I overpaid? What is something like that worth (not that I am going to sell it, just curious).

Well, if it's an official jersey, you overpaid by $640.01. If a knockoff, you overpaid by about $800.

Official jersies run $184.99 at mlb.com and autographs are free, especially from Jim.

But, hey...It's a good cause. :wink:

The Critic
03-12-2006, 08:10 AM
If it's tax deductible, you didn't overpay at all!
:D:
I'm not too knowledgable on collectibles, but if you're comfortable with what you paid, that's all that counts in the end.
Frame it, hang it, and enjoy it!!!

Blob
03-12-2006, 08:42 AM
eBay currently only lists one jersey of his that was sold recently. It was a sleeveless Jndians and it sold for $99.

There are two other currently listed. One has a buy it now price of about $135. The other has zero bids and is at $495. Those are both Phillies jerseys.

Whenever I buy memorabilia I always look at it this way, I always believe something is worth what I am willing to pay for it! That may sound weird, but if I would have really thought it cost too much I would not have bought it.

And like you said, the money went to a good cause. So I don't believe you over paid.

The Critic is right too, it should be tax deductable!!

Brian26
03-12-2006, 11:30 AM
The Critic is right too, it should be tax deductable!!

That's a tricky question. It may or may not be. I know at this year's Garage Sale, White Sox charities made you sign a letter stating that your items purchased were NOT going to be tax-deductible, and they included the date and the price of the item. Sometimes when you're getting a high-priced piece of sports memorabilia back, it's not deductible since it can be argued you're paying fair market value for it.

BainesHOF
03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
If you had Thome sign your jersey at a sports memorabilia show, you could wind up paying around $100-150 for his signature on a jersey.

gr8mexico
03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I bought a signed White Sox #25 Jim Thome jersey last night at a live charity auction. Paid $825 for it (like I said it was for a good cause). Not being a collector myself, I was curious how much I overpaid? What is something like that worth (not that I am going to sell it, just curious). Just remember you did it for a good cause but you probally over paid by $500. I got Jim Thome to sign my authentic jersey @ Soxfest but I had to do alot of waiting.

Daver
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM

If it was for charity, I'd say you didn't overpay a dime.