PDA

View Full Version : How will the Sox do against divisional opponents?

chisoxfanatic
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Last year, the Sox dominated the season series against every one of their divisional opponents, going 52-22 against them, even though the AL Central had the best pitching in the game. They seemed to will their way to victories in their sleep. I couldn't have painted much better of a picture myself with regards to divisional play as they did last year.

How do you think our Sox will finish against divisional opponents this year?

IlliniSox4Life
03-12-2006, 12:07 AM
How do you think our Sox will finish against divisional opponents this year?

Good.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Good.

Well* :o:

dlee120
03-12-2006, 12:35 AM
bad :D:

MrRoboto83
03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
I don't think we will go 14-5 against Cleveland again. Perhaps 19-0. :D:

batmanZoSo
03-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Uhhhh so-so.

HotelWhiteSox
03-12-2006, 12:58 AM
If I could predict the future I'd be a very rich man :D:

itsnotrequired
03-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Last year was something else in terms of divisional play. I say they do well, but nothing like last year...

CHISOXFAN13
03-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Last year was something else in terms of divisional play. I say they do well, but nothing like last year...

Agreed, but I also think out record out west will improve. I think we got over that hump in the ALCS...

FedEx227
03-12-2006, 01:22 AM
We're going to struggle against Cleveland this year, like some said maybe .500 with them during the season. We can only hope that we do just as well against the other guys as we did last year.

but its definitely going to be tough to do as well in the division as last year, with Cleveland and Minnesota being slightly better i think. You have to remember Minnesota went through a lot of injuries, a healthy Justin Morneaun can cause ALOT of trouble for the Sox (and he has in the past).

TDog
03-12-2006, 03:29 AM
Good question. Remember how a year ago everyone was right when they predicted (I think the poll was 100 percent) that the Sox would dominate the Central, go wire to wire in first, go 11-1 in the postseason and finish off Game 4 of the World Series the way they finished off Game 1 of the regular season -- with a 1-0 win against a team some had national pundits had picked to beat them? I don't either.

All I can do is look at the Sox, who should be improved, and hope for the best.

chisoxfanatic
03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
We're going to struggle against Cleveland this year, like some said maybe .500 with them during the season. We can only hope that we do just as well against the other guys as we did last year.

I think the loss of Jake Westbrook will hurt Cleveland big time! Paul Byrd is a downgrade, IMHO.

fusillirob1983
03-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I think the loss of Jake Westbrook will hurt Cleveland big time! Paul Byrd is a downgrade, IMHO.

They lost Millwood.

ondafarm
03-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Very well, I believe. I don't see KC as any more solid, Cleveland as worse, Minnesota as slightly worse and Detroit as somewhat better.

rowand33
03-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but in what way did the Indians get better?

I feel that the Indians got considerably worse (Jason Michaels instead of Coco Crisp, Paul Byrd instead of Kevin Millwood, keeping Bob Wickman, losing Rhodes and Howry).
Casey Blake is a hole out in right, Boone will never be the player he used to be, CC Sabathia is good but has never been the pitcher he was supposed to be, Jake Westbrook needs to return to 2004 form, the first base platoon of Broussard and Eddie Perez isn't scaring anybody, Jason Johnson isn't very good. Wickman was lights out last year, but is that an anomaly? I mean, they did try to replace him in the offseason.
That team is Belliard, Sizemore, Martinez, Hafner, Perralta, and Lee. And while those are good players, notice that only one of them is a pitcher. I just don't understand all the hype around this team; they're not a playoff team. Look at all the playoff teams last year but the Padres. How many huge holes just stare at you? Not many. The Indians just aren't there yet. I'll be more scared after Andy Marte develops.

So basically, I think we'll do aobut the same against them. The bottom of the division is better. That's what I think will still a few wins from us. Not enough to win the division, mind you, but enough to win a game here or there that they wouldn't have last year.

The Royals still suck but they improved and will probably steal a win somewhere along the line. I don't think they're gonna lose 106 games again next year.
The Tigers lineup looks really good if Ordonez and Guillen are healthy (though guillen has never playhed more than 140 games, so we'll see). and forget Todd Jones, Rodney is a STUD. He'll be closing by year end and he'll be lights out. In fact, the Tigers lineup scares me much more than the Indians. It's just that the pitching is so bad

One team I don't worry about at all is the twins.

The Twins are awful. I keep reading about how bad Tony Batista has looked this spring (though I have to admit, I was slightly concerned when they signed him. I know that his signing was considered laughable, but he was always a 30 hr guy, and he went to Japan for money, not because he had to. I believe he produced well over there too. I hope he continues to suck becuase he might be a problem).
Not much production out of their Cub-like outfield, they really need their younger players (Bartlett, Mauer, and Morneau) to have breakout years or they're going to finish 4th in the division. And the other guys that brought in, Castillo and White, are just sorta... meh. 50 RBI guys that will get on base. Good players, better than last year, but nothing special.
Good pitching though.

Overall, I think we're going to lose a few more games against the division, but I think you guys give the Indians more credit than they deserve.

thomas35forever
03-12-2006, 09:17 PM
The only team I see as a potential threat are the Twins, but it's not too serious. The Indians became weaker in the offseason with their moves. The Tigers still won't make any threats, but they're getting there. The Royals? Well...yawn.

We're gonna win the division again at the very least this year.

esbrechtel
03-12-2006, 09:28 PM
2nd AL Central Championship in a row....hopefully follwed by another WS championship...:D:

chisoxfanatic
03-12-2006, 09:41 PM
They lost Millwood.

Whoops! Ma bad. How did I miss that?