PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't the focus be on the field, not on ex-players?

Jurr
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
The Sox aren't playing great out the gate this spring, which isn't a big deal at all. However, I am getting more and more concerned about all of the attention they keep putting on comments from ex players in the media.

Frank and Carl are gone. Period. Yeah..they're mad that they weren't resigned. They're backbiting crybabies, and they both want to massage their egos by saying that the Sox aren't as good without them. Fine.

The thing that bothers me is that the focus last year at this time was getting the team gelled together so that they could make that run at Minnesota. Yeah, there was the Magglio sniping, but that blew over in a week. This year, it seems like the focus is on everything but getting ready for the show. I know the extra media coverage is a byproduct of winning a ring, but seems like there's being too much focus put on stuff outside the organization instead of what's going on between the chalk.

Does anyone else feel this way?

kevin57
03-11-2006, 06:38 AM
I see your point, but I'm not quite as concerned, at least not yet. We--and I'm sure Sox personnel--knew that a Championship would bring a great deal more scrutiny to everything the Sox say and do. Well, that's happening. What balances that is that you know Ozzie is going to shield the players. He did last year, especially in the withering days of August and early September. He will again. I also think that Kenny can do "two things" at once; that is, he can counter the "stink bombs" that will be thrown our way and bolster the roster as needed.

Chicken Dinner
03-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Frank and Carl are on the outside looking in. It's much better to be on the inside looking out.

soxjim
03-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I would like to hear more about Jim Thome and how he is doing. Also how Brian Anderson is doing in centerfield.

tick53
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree whole-heartedly. No one last year had the Sox even winning
their division. The team started the season with new acquisitions then,
if my memory serves me correctly. The also had the forementioned guys in the clubhouse with the attitude problems and they wound up
becoming the World Champs.

The catalyst on this team is Ozzie Guillen. He is the man who knows
what he wants. He is the man has confidence in his players. He is the
reason players want to stay with or come to the White Sox. He knows what it takes to make team"gel". In my opinion, if Jerry Manuel or
any other former Sox manager had been at the helm with the same team as last year, the Sox would have never won the division.

Ozzie and KW are not stupid. They are always out to improve the team. Let Carl play for the M's and Frank play for the A's.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2006, 09:59 AM
The Sox aren't playing great out the gate this spring, which isn't a big deal at all. However, I am getting more and more concerned about all of the attention they keep putting on comments from ex players in the media.

Frank and Carl are gone. Period. Yeah..they're mad that they weren't resigned. They're backbiting crybabies, and they both want to massage their egos by saying that the Sox aren't as good without them. Fine.

The thing that bothers me is that the focus last year at this time was getting the team gelled together so that they could make that run at Minnesota. Yeah, there was the Magglio sniping, but that blew over in a week. This year, it seems like the focus is on everything but getting ready for the show. I know the extra media coverage is a byproduct of winning a ring, but seems like there's being too much focus put on stuff outside the organization instead of what's going on between the chalk.

Does anyone else feel this way?It's not the team putting the attention on ex-players.

ode to veeck
03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
don't you worry, the dinosaur maligner will be back on the Sox with midseason trade wizardry by Kenny as always!!!

ArkanSox
03-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Breaking up is hard to do:whiner: :whiner:

Mercy!
03-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Who's "they"?

If ex-Sox players want to run their mouths, well, that's juicy stuff and the media are going to run with it. But that doesn't have anything to do with the way the current team goes about preparing.

See y'all when the season begins for real. :D:

Jjav829
03-12-2006, 10:37 PM

Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes. I don't give a flying **** what Carl Everett thinks.

Carl, thanks for your contributions to our championship team, but shut up and enjoy last place.

At least he and Frank can get together and cry 19 times a year.

It really does make you appreciate the way Aaron Rowand has handled himself.

"To Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny, Ozzie and all those guys responsible for giving me a shot to be where I'm at now, it's a big thank you," Rowand added. "I have nothing but love for the organization, the city of Chicago, the fans, and of course, my teammates."

"To leave somewhere where you are so happy being is a very tough situation. Ultimately, baseball becomes a business, and this just serves as a friendly reminder."

That is pure class.