PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding the Wording of the Steriod Policy?

Tekijawa
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I know this morning that Gammons had mentioned on Mike and Mike that Baseball might be able to suspend bonds for his Steroid use. In all the articles I've read on the subject the wording in the Policy is "Positive test". Now with all the new evidence I think it is now publicly common knowledge that Bonds has used, but since he never had a "positive test" can it be argued that he can't be suspended, maybe not rightfully so, but I would imagine that the types of lawyers that bonds could afford could make a good case for such.

Side note: Is Bonds part of the players association? For some reason I don't think he is. Technically, there too, it could be argued that he never made an agreement with MLB on their Policy... There are a lot of loopholes that I'm sure will be used to get him on the field, it's just a matter o how much he can take from the fans and the Media?!!??

spiffie
03-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I would guess if anything were done to Bonds it would be via the "best interests of the game" clause, and would surely lead to a veritable holy war between him and the MLBPA regardless of whether Bonds is in the union itself.

Nellie_Fox
03-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Side note: Is Bonds part of the players association? For some reason I don't think he is. Technically, there too, it could be argued that he never made an agreement with MLB on their Policy... Once more than 50% of the employees vote to join a union and the NLRB has recognized the bargaining unit, individual employees cannot "opt out" of abiding by the contract by not joining the union. I don't belong to the professors' union, but the contract is binding on me.

FedEx227
03-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah Bonds is not technically in the UNION of MLBPA, but hes still considered under their rules.

Bonds and MLB players who were replacements during the strike are not considered part of the MLBPA union.