PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2006, 02:34 PM
As a now out of state sox fan, is the 79.95 worth it for getting a whole season of mlb.tv? How many sox games do they show throughout the year?

BearSox
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Every televised game will be shown on mlbtv.com with the exception of those darn Fox Saturday games where they black out 6 games but only show like 2 to national audiences. They will show one telecast from one of the teams playing for every games so you'll get to see most of the games but you'll only see Hawk and DJ half of them because you'll see the other teams broadcast they're playing the other half of games.

FoulTerritory
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I think its a better deal to buy the MLB extra innings package through cable or satellite, to just get the games on TV. Its more expensive (can't remember how much), but I did this last year when I was living in Philly, and it was well worth the extra dough to not have to sit in front of a computer screen to watch games. I just think if you are going to shell out 80 beans anyways, you might as well shell out a few more so that you can have a more comfortable viewing experience.

Does anyone remember how much extra innings is? I want to guess 140, but i'm not certain.

SABRSox
03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I think its a better deal to buy the MLB extra innings package through cable or satellite, to just get the games on TV. Its more expensive (can't remember how much), but I did this last year when I was living in Philly, and it was well worth the extra dough to not have to sit in front of a computer screen to watch games. I just think if you are going to shell out 80 beans anyways, you might as well shell out a few more so that you can have a more comfortable viewing experience.

Does anyone remember how much extra innings is? I want to guess 140, but i'm not certain.

I actually disagree. I'd rather have the mlb.tv package, as I can log on to any computer anywhere and watch the games. Home, work, friend's house, etc. Besides, with the advancements computer displays have made, the difference between your TV and your computer monitor is becoming blurred.

FoulTerritory
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Fair enough. I'm just going by my 2004 experience when I had mlb.tv, and I had a lot of problems with the picture skipping during games etc. And that is w/ a high speed connection. But maybe they've ironed some of that stuff out, or maybe I just had an isolated bad experience.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2006, 02:55 PM

true, but i'm 23, and i just moved to boston, and i live with 4 other people...so my tv time is seriously seriously limited

i think i'm going to go with this mlb.tv package, i'm really excited

EastCoastSoxFan
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
$79.95 / ~ 162 games = ~ $.50 per game.
Not a bad pay-per-view rate, in my not-too-humble opinion.
The only drawback is that you can't pick which television feed to watch (unlike the MLB radio webcasts) so sometimes you get stuck listening to the other team's announcers.
Although it seems that many posters here would not consider listening to the other team's announcers to be an unfavorable thing...

[Edit] I believe that MLB has also developed proprietary software for streaming the games so that you don't have to download and install Real Player. The streaming seemed a lot cleaner last year (and this year) than in '04.

ViPeRx007
03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I've signed up for the MLB.TV package the past 3 seasons or so and I've never regretted it. I'm also not from the Chicago area so I'd only get to see the games on WGN Superstation, which are usually only on once every week or 2. I have had problems with the video lagging up on occassion but some of that is to be expected. It's never been enough to steer me away from it.

Even at full price it's worth it, but if you can get a friend or 2 to go in on it with you, $40 a piece is pretty tough to beat. I think you can have 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly) people logged into the same account at any given time.

Either way, it's well worth it in my opinion.

mjharrison72
03-10-2006, 03:18 PM
true, but i'm 23, and i just moved to boston, and i live with 4 other people...so my tv time is seriously seriously limited

i think i'm going to go with this mlb.tv package, i'm really excited
I think in that sort of situation, it's a great way to go. The streaming hasn't been the greatest in the past, but I think it has to be better now.

mccoydp
03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I got it last year and was pretty happy with it, for the most part. The Fox blackouts were a bummer, however, as were the inconvenience of having to listen to opposing teams' announcers.
I like the MLB.TV option because I can watch the games on my laptop if I'm away on travel. That is the only reason I got it over the MLB Extra Innings package on cable.
I can also watch it while I use the Linux operating system, too, so I'm not tied down to rebooting to Windows.

Unregistered
03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I've had MLB.TV for the last 2 years, and it's great to not only be able to catch most Sox games, but most MLB GAMES. Especially towards the end of the season, you have the ability to jump around and watch any game you want.

I've even opened up 3 different web browsers and watched 3 games simultaneously, which I highly recommend. :cool:

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Can you view games after-the-fact through MLB tv? In other words, if i'm out and miss an exciting Sox game, can I view it at a later time?

Unregistered
03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Can you view games after-the-fact through MLB tv? In other words, if i'm out and miss an exciting Sox game, can I view it at a later time?
Yep - all games are archived shortly after they air live.

flo-B-flo
03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
On a whim I subscribed just before 2005. Best baseball purchase I ever made.:D: I'll subscribe again this year.

Jurr
03-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Extra innings runs 135, but it's a little cheaper if you buy it early. MLBtv is good if you have a good connection and a fast computer. I like watching the games on my tv, so I get the extra innings package (and I drop 15 bucks for a whole season of Gameday Audio for my computer).

I've had both for 3 years now, and it's incredible. You have to remember that you're just not seeing Sox games. You're able to watch all of the division rivals' games, which has been very handy the last couple of years. It seems like there are very few good deals around with PPV packages, especially with the NFL. With the sheer amount of games you get, the MLB package is primo.

Brian26
03-11-2006, 02:06 PM
A lot of you guys seem to live outside of Chicago. Is it worth it to purchase this if you live within the Sox viewing area? I guess it would be neat to watch other games anytime you wanted.

shbart
03-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm in town and subscribed last year. I think I got the radio and TV combo for $80 as an early sign up last year. I'm tempted to spend the $100 to get both. Radio is neat, but I can't really justify buying both (even with Rooney in St. Louis). As a fantasy baseball manager it's a dream come true, but even just as a Sox fan, how cool do u think it was watching Sizemore drop that fly ball and the Indians collapse last year?!

Btw, I loved the MLB e-mail that told me that I didn't have to do anything to re-up. They would automatically charge my credit card....which for those of u married always makes for a fun game of...."I don't remember signing up for that. Not sure how it got on our credit card....oh well, better keep it now that the season started." :cool:

surfdudes
03-26-2006, 09:18 AM
I had mlb.tv all last year, and projected it through my powerpoint projector in the office and put the telecast on the wall. It was great. If you have a computer with and S video cable port (most newer laptops do), you can connect this cable to the S video port on your tv and watch it on your tv. A 25 foot cable runs about 15 bucks at Fryes or Office Depot. The other neat thing about mlb.tv is that the games are archived so you can go back and watch the entire game, the recap and highlights, or just the plays where runs where scored. Completely worth it if you have a decent computer with a fast connection.

A. Cavatica
03-26-2006, 10:17 AM
...the inconvenience of having to listen to opposing teams' announcers.

This wouldn't bother me: I just hate Hawk. Turn the sound off and listen to the radio announcers.

kevingrt
03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
MLB.TV I think is awesome. I go to college out of state so I can't listen or watch many of the games, except for WGN, ESPN, and FOX. I just get it for April and September but I love it and it works fine. I didn't have any problems last year and do not expect any this year.

ohiosoxfan12
03-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I live in northwest ohio and was thinking about getting the radio thing off mlb.com. Do you think it is worth it? I usually can only get the games on tv when they are on WGN or FSN ohio playing the tigers or indians. Is there any regular stations on the radio that i could get from here? Thanks.

MarySwiss
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I had it last year and am going to re-up this year. Well worth it, IMO.

michned
03-26-2006, 12:08 PM
It is a great investment. Additionally, MLB usually affiliates with a few companies at this time of year so you might be able to get the package at a lower price. A couple years ago, they had a promotion whereby if you bought MSN Premium (a service which I didn't even use) you got mlb.tv at a reduced price. I can't remember, but I think my total cost for the year came out to around $30. Last year, I think Comcast had a special offer through their link, $20 off the yearly subscription.

One thing I noticed so far this spring is, you are unable to resize the viewing window, so you can't go full screen (not too great of a picture, but passable in some situations). In past years you could click the preference button and switch from RealPlayer to Windows Media and vice versa, but I don't see that option this year as well.

Ed

SoxEd
03-26-2006, 02:43 PM
As a now out of state sox fan, is the 79.95 worth it for getting a whole season of mlb.tv? How many sox games do they show throughout the year?

It's very much worth it for me - but then I'm 'a bit' further away than you :redneck, and it's pretty-much the ONLY way I can get to see Baseball.

You can watch ANY game, at ANY time - not JUST Sox games.
Plus, IIRC, you get the whole Post-Season free (though I may be wrong about that).

The downside is that you're tied to watching the games on your computer, rather than from the comfort of the couch.

Unless, that is, you have some fancy doohicky that'll let you output the stream to your TV.
Which I don't. Ho hum.

My own experience is that 'the pipe' that streams the coverage to me is too narrow to also allow simultaneous posting to WSI, but I'd guess that that's just a function of my location in the UK, rather than an issue for anyone Stateside.

Craig Grebeck
03-26-2006, 02:52 PM
If I put it to full screen, and put the laptop back on my desk, the quality gets better the farther away from the computer you are...so laying in bed and watching the full screen version isn't all too bad...

plus, i really like the fact that i can get any game from any team, not just sox games...so far, i love it

MarySwiss
03-26-2006, 04:16 PM
My mlb.tv just kicked in. I wonder if they're going to feature the final out of the World Series when you sign in for the entire season. Works for me!

roylestillman
03-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I have SBC DSL at home and my MLB.TV freezes up a lot. Does anybody else have this problem?

Huisj
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
My big gripe last year with MLB.tv had to do with their blackout stuff. I guess it's not so much their fault, but more just how other major league clubs claim their territory and black games out. When ever the Sox play the Tigers, the games are blacked out here, and since only about 110 Tigers games are televised, that was really frustrating some nights if the Sox-Tigers game wasn't on TV at all. If there's no telecast, what exactly is it that they are blacking out?

Same with the Fox saturdays too. Those were really annoying, especially because my Fox station I had last summer in Grand Rapids very very rarely showed the Sox when they were one of the Fox games.

SouthSide_HitMen
03-27-2006, 12:27 AM
My big gripe last year with MLB.tv had to do with their blackout stuff. I guess it's not so much their fault, but more just how other major league clubs claim their territory and black games out. When ever the Sox play the Tigers, the games are blacked out here, and since only about 110 Tigers games are televised, that was really frustrating some nights if the Sox-Tigers game wasn't on TV at all. If there's no telecast, what exactly is it that they are blacking out?

Same with the Fox saturdays too. Those were really annoying, especially because my Fox station I had last summer in Grand Rapids very very rarely showed the Sox when they were one of the Fox games.

I cancelled the TV portion this offseason (from last year before they conveniently bill you automatically) because of the blackout situation (some games were blacked out, some went through) and the fact I rather have the radio on and do other things online or at home as opposed to blocking out time watching the game. I listen to many out of town games so the $14.95 radio feed (all broadcasts, no blackouts) is the best package for me.

If I lived out of the blackout range I would consider getting the TV package. Since I get over 50 or 60 games on free TV and will go to several more, that is more than enough I will be able to watch.

HotelWhiteSox
03-27-2006, 12:42 AM
As long as you have a high speed connection, I would recommend MLB.tv over the TV package. You get the WCIU games, can pick broadcasters, games are archived for years. I think there is a 'no TV' game this year again because of FOX's blackout, and I was able to view last year's when neither the Sox or Twins had TV (it was the Metrodome's camera and Twins' radio crew), just thought it was cool.

chisox06
03-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Signed up with the MLB.TV today. MLB.TV now has a lot more games available than they did in the past. Rarely did I miss a game last year because it simply wasn't available. The Cable package is nice, I had that two years ago, but if you have a decent computer, MLB.TV is a very nice way to go.