PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney lovers get real.....

White Sox Randy
03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
What's with all these people believing that Sweeney might make this team ?

Wake up. He won't see the south side before 2007 .

BanditJimmy
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM

He needs to play 1 full HEALTHY season of minor league baseball for me to get excited. I need to see much more power from him if he is to replace J Dye in 2007.

White Sox Randy
03-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree. I didn't even mean as a starter. I'm talking about a call up - maybe.

bayzbol44
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah people, get real. Anderson is DA MAN! :?:

California Sox
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah people, get real. Anderson is DA MAN! :?:

Sweeney has nothing to do with Anderson. They don't play the same position.

As far as a callup, Sweeney will get one if he has a decent AAA season as he has to be added to the 40 man after this year anyway.

For the life of me, I'll never understand the Sweeney-haters on this board. He's a good-looking prospect. Sure, as a 20 year-old with a bum wrist he hit one homer at Birmingham. You know how many a perfectly health Robin Ventura hit there as a 21 year-old? Two. Sweeney's the least of our worries.

chisox2005
03-10-2006, 02:45 PM

Would you rather see Borchard?? There is nothing wrong for acknowledging that Sweeney is having the best spring of anyone else on the team. I'm not saying he's going to make the team either but its nice to see that he will be a solid option in the future.

Except he'll probably be traded for Carl Everett at the trade deadline. :D:

Sargeant79
03-10-2006, 06:41 PM
He won't see the south side before 2007 .

Actually, I'd be surprised if he sees the south side before 2008. If Dye has a decent year and stays healthy this season, his '07 option will likely be picked up. After that, we'll be able to plug in a 22 year-old Sweeney with two more full seasons under his belt into right field.

SoLongFrank
03-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I agree. If Dye pounds out another 25-35 HR's this year his 2007 option is sure to be picked up. If he stays healthy that' a sure bet.

Anderson will be challenged by Owens, & Pods by Sweeney. I don't think they are sold on Pods long term yet. I know they aren't sold on Anderson.

patbooyah
03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
yeah. you guys are so stupid getting all worked about a great and exciting prospect. seriously.

California Sox
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
I know they aren't sold on Anderson.

No, they are sold on Anderson. Otherwise, nothing explains trading Rowand, Reed, and Young. If they weren't sold on BA they would have kept one or more of those guys. Now, as to whether anyone who posts here is sold on Anderson, that's a different matter.

rowand33
03-10-2006, 08:09 PM
why let a top prospect rot on the bench?

let the kid play in AAA.

Jurr
03-10-2006, 11:49 PM
People keep talking about the homers Sweeney has to hit to make the club. I know everybody loves power from corner outfielders, but this kid isn't that kind of hitter. He's more of a John Olerud type...gap and average hitter.
I don't think Sweeney's ever going to hit 30 bombs.

Anyways...it would be stupid to sit him on a bench at the bigs. Let him learn in Charlotte.

TaylorStSox
03-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Sweeney has nothing to do with Anderson. They don't play the same position.

As far as a callup, Sweeney will get one if he has a decent AAA season as he has to be added to the 40 man after this year anyway.

For the life of me, I'll never understand the Sweeney-haters on this board. He's a good-looking prospect. Sure, as a 20 year-old with a bum wrist he hit one homer at Birmingham. You know how many a perfectly health Robin Ventura hit there as a 21 year-old? Two. Sweeney's the least of our worries.

Excellent post. If you've seen Sweeney swing the bat and still don't like him as a hitter, you don't know what you're looking at. Olerud was never really a power hitter, but he was one of the best hitters of his generation. If Sweeney has a career even close, he'll have an exciting future.

Jurr
03-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Excellent post. If you've seen Sweeney swing the bat and still don't like him as a hitter, you don't know what you're looking at. Olerud was never really a power hitter, but he was one of the best hitters of his generation. If Sweeney has a career even close, he'll have an exciting future.
No doubt. I'm with you..I don't get the hangup on homers from a corner guy. If you've got somebody that keeps the line moving and is picking up big hits, what more can you ask for?

tick53
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I know Sweeney won't make the team, but it's nice to know that he's only a
phone call away in case something happens.

SoLongFrank
03-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't believe they are as sold on Anderson as you think. Don't be surprised if Kenny goes after KG Jr again.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't believe they are as sold on Anderson as you think. Don't be surprised if Kenny goes after KG Jr again.And this is based on what?

California Sox
03-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't believe they are as sold on Anderson as you think. Don't be surprised if Kenny goes after KG Jr again.

Junior is nowhere near the defensive centerfielder he once was. Basically he's below average now and headed to "liability." I think Thome is doing for the Sox what they wanted KG Jr. to do, so I'd be shocked if the Sox made another run at him. Plus, if Cincinnati is going to turn down the rumored offer of Young, Rogo, and a top pitching prospect, I'd hate to see what we'd have to offer for them to accept.

Speaking of acceptance, BA is the team's starting centerfielder. You don't seem to like him much. You may be right, the jury is definitely out on him. But Kenny love-love-loves him. He'll get every shot in the world.

RKMeibalane
03-11-2006, 02:44 PM
I know Sweeney won't make the team, but it's nice to know that he's only a
phone call away in case something happens.

Agreed. It almost seems as though some people are angry that Sweeney is playing well. The way I see it, you can never have too much talent. If Sweeney progresses faster than expected, he can take over for Dye next season. If Dye can stay healthy and remain productive, the Sox could always use Sweeney as trade bait to fill other holes (not that they have any right now). This is a good thing, yet people are still complaining.

TaylorStSox
03-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Agreed. It almost seems as though some people are angry that Sweeney is playing well. The way I see it, you can never have too much talent. If Sweeney progresses faster than expected, he can take over for Dye next season. If Dye can stay healthy and remain productive, the Sox could always use Sweeney as trade bait to fill other holes (not that they have any right now). This is a good thing, yet people are still complaining.

I don't think people are angry. Some of us have thought he's probably the best of the OF prospects that we've had. The thing I don't like is when people nominate a prospect for greatness because he's the flavor of the month. It's not fair to anybody. Let the kid develop at his own pace. There's no need to rush anybody.

SoLongFrank
03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I haven't seen enough of Anderson play to form an opinion of him. He didn't do enough in his short time in 2005 to impress him. But I give him the benefit of the doubt because I've been doing the same for Borchy for years. Mostly though I go by what other's have written about him. His .211 avg this spring is helping to convince anybody. I've not read much about any web gems either.