PDA

View Full Version : Ya gotta love Mr Everett

soxfan13
03-10-2006, 07:34 AM
You loved the big mouth on the White Sox you still gotta to love him for speaking his mind.... http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0603100211mar10,1,2476556.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Doesn't this thread exist elsewhere on this site??:dunno: :o:

oeo
03-10-2006, 07:43 AM
You loved the big mouth on the White Sox you still gotta to love him for speaking his mind.... http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0603100211mar10,1,2476556.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed
Why because he's an idiot? I absolutely hate this bad mouthing your former team crap, it's getting old. I'm sorry you're on the Mariners Carl, and thank you for contributing to the World Championship, but move along now. To say there are no leaders in the clubhouse anymore is ludicrous.

But of course he's going to disagree, he lost his job on the World Champions to go the Mariners...so sorry Carl, live with it.

rdwj
03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
So what - Carl thinks that the Sox lost some of the things that made the team great? He's entitled to that opinion. I guess he thought that last year's team was something special. I think most of us agree with that. We just hope this team is even special-er!!

jdm2662
03-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Um, he only stated his opinion. I really didn't see much to get upset about. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mediots trying to cause stir. They knew Everett will speak his mind. Let's find him and try to make news. It's boring right now...

oeo
03-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Um, he only stated his opinion. I really didn't see much to get upset about. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mediots trying to cause stir. They knew Everett will speak his mind. Let's find him and try to make news. It's boring right now...
I'm just fed up with these guys leaving a team and then talking about them this way. You just won a World Championship with the team, can't you go out with some dignity? I really don't care what his history is, same with Frank, common sense tells you to go out with respect; that in turn keeps the media away. Then you don't have to bitch and complain that the media won't stop bothering you.

soxfan13
03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Doesn't this thread exist elsewhere on this site??:dunno: :o:

I searched and didnt find it this article just came out this morning

rdwj
03-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm just fed up with these guys leaving a team and then talking about them this way. You just won a World Championship with the team, can't you go out with some dignity? I really don't care what his history is, same with Frank, common sense tells you to go out with respect; that in turn keeps the media away. Then you don't have to bitch and complain that the media won't stop bothering you.

He said nothing bad about the team. In fact, I think it's pretty obvious that he thought highly of last years team. Carl can't be put in the same camp as Frank with these comments.

oeo
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
He said nothing bad about the team. In fact, I think it's pretty obvious that he thought highly of last years team. Carl can't be put in the same camp as Frank with these comments.
I wasn't comparing him to Frank, just stating that he shouldn't get a pass either because of "his history." I still don't agree with his comments and he just comes off as jealous, when he shouldn't have said anything. Just say something nice (without the crap about how you were so much better for the team) and get the media off your back is all I'm saying. Move along and get on with your life, don't tell us that we don't have leaders because you and Willie Harris left.

I know it's obvious that he thought highly of last year's team...who wouldn't? But I think he's overestimating his role and others' roles that were on last year's team and left (see: Willie Harris). Yes we lost a few guys, but we replaced them with more talented guys...and from all reports none of them are having problems fitting in with the team. With the way Ozzie's clubhouse seems to work, it doesn't seem like it is going to be that hard for the new guys to fit in.

Hangar18
03-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Exactly. I have no problem with what he said ............its the TITLE of the story thats misleading. I was on another thread a few seconds ago, and a poster was guilty of the same thing, seeing only part of the info and running with it. He said ............he thinks AJ will be the leader (which shouldve been the title of that story, but this is the Media were talking about)

Hawkeroo1980
03-10-2006, 09:00 AM

I PRETTY MUCH AGREE COMPLETELY WITH HIM.....I just think its up to the '06 to prove him wrong-----and if they do I'm sure Carl would be happy for his teammates.

oeo
03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Exactly. I have no problem with what he said ............its the TITLE of the story thats misleading. I was on another thread a few seconds ago, and a poster was guilty of the same thing, seeing only part of the info and running with it. He said ............he thinks AJ will be the leader (which shouldve been the title of that story, but this is the Media were talking about)
I read the whole article (didn't run with anything), and although I don't have a problem with some of the things he said, there are other parts that I do. He had nice things to say about the team, but then he's going off on how big of a part he was to the team. I'm not saying he wasn't vocal, which I'm sure he was, but he comes off as we are losing a huge part of our team because he isn't returning. I don't like that, don't think of yourself as a huge loss and just assume that we our going to have trouble because some guys were replaced. Carl, the whole team was revamped last offseason and there were a lot of guys new to the team and it worked out fine. It's not like we brought somebody in that's going to screw everything up.

soxinem1
03-10-2006, 09:10 AM

I do not a problem with what he said either. He is correct in several aspects of a championship ball club regarding leadership and chemistry, but in all honesty, only two members of the starting line up were switched out, and Thome over Everett at DH is a big upgrade.

The only thing I thought was ironic was his Jim Thome critique. He said Thome is a nice guy but it would take him awhile to fit in.

When he's hitting 430 ft. bombs to LC and RC field, he'll be fitting in better than the guy who struck out with a looping swing on two-strike breaking balls most of August and September last year, then complained when he was dropped in the order for not producing.

I actually got more of a kick out of KW's public comments about how 'he felt' about Carl, then proceeded to have an 'animated discussion' with him shortly afterward.

Hangar18
03-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I read the whole article (didn't run with anything), and although I don't have a problem with some of the things he said, there are other parts that I do. He had nice things to say about the team, but then he's going off on how big of a part he was to the team. I'm not saying he wasn't vocal, which I'm sure he was, but he comes off as we are losing a huge part of our team because he isn't returning. I don't like that, don't think of yourself as a huge loss and just assume that we our going to have trouble because some guys were replaced. Carl, the whole team was revamped last offseason and there were a lot of guys new to the team and it worked out fine. It's not like we brought somebody in that's going to screw everything up.

my initial post wasnt directed to you (from the other thread) ...........
However, can we all agree that the Title of the story was very "You write tomorrows Cubune headline"?

oeo
03-10-2006, 09:12 AM
my initial post wasnt directed to you (from the other thread) ...........
However, can we all agree that the Title of the story was very "You write tomorrows Cubune headline"?
Yes, it was...and I actually did not even look at the title of the article until just now. It is very misleading.

EDIT: I'm going to take back my idiot comment, although I don't agree with some of what he said. I prematurely freaked out.

kevin57
03-10-2006, 09:18 AM

I agree. The first article I read came from the Sun-Times and it must have been the title that irked me, because when I read the Trib with its title, I was not as critical of Carl's comments. At the same time, when he predicts that the Sox will finish 3rd in their division, he must have been thinking of the Mariners. Anyone think they'll finish higher than 3rd in their division :tongue: ?

SOecks
03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
What the hell kind of pathetic headline is this? "Predicts turnover will DOOM Sox in '06". The media is really reaching here for a dramatic headline. How pathetic. Doom? HA! Reminds me of the promos we get from local news teams during Sweeps Week. "Not eating a piece of celery once per day could cause immediate DEATH...more at 10 on Sexy Action News"

batmanZoSo
03-10-2006, 09:26 AM
I actually got more of a kick out of KW's public comments about how 'he felt' about Carl, then proceeded to have an 'animated discussion' with him shortly afterward.

LOL. Yes! As I was reading his quote on the train, I first thought "hey, Kenny's going the diplomatic route this time, good for him." But lo and behold, later in the article it describes a classic KW showdown with Everett in a parking lot. Ah, you gotta love that guy. And Everett too, all things considered.

flo-B-flo
03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Just Carl spewing for the Chicago writers. Just like last year and any year chemistry develops. Last year the Sox had lots of leaders. This year they will too. Like I've written before, you don't need that "C" **** to know who the leaders are.

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Exactly. I have no problem with what he said ............its the TITLE of the story thats misleading. I was on another thread a few seconds ago, and a poster was guilty of the same thing, seeing only part of the info and running with it. He said ............he thinks AJ will be the leader (which shouldve been the title of that story, but this is the Media were talking about):knue I'm changing the title in the on-line edition. Not that there's anything wrong with the title in the print edition, of course.:rolleyes:

ChiSoxLifer
03-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Willie Harris and Frank Thomas had a presence? :o: I thought Frank was in Vegas the whole season except for one magical month. Willie? He was a decent bench player and is best known for scoring the winning run in the clinching game. But a presence? I do agree about Aaron being missed and AJ being a leader. Carl is outspoken but isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

MUsoxfan
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Willie Harris and Frank Thomas had a presence? :o: I thought Frank was in Vegas the whole season except for one magical month. Willie? He was a decent bench player and is best known for scoring the winning run in the clinching game. But a presence? I do agree about Aaron being missed and AJ being a leader. Carl is outspoken but isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

I think there's a difference between being an on-field presence and a clubhouse presence. Carl might be right because I think Willie was a great clubhouse presence. I got a hint of that from watching the World Series DVD

tick53
03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
SOUR GRAPES!!!!:neener: HE GONE.....

Unregistered
03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Willie Harris and Frank Thomas had a presence? :o: I thought Frank was in Vegas the whole season except for one magical month. Willie? He was a decent bench player and is best known for scoring the winning run in the clinching game. But a presence? I do agree about Aaron being missed and AJ being a leader. Carl is outspoken but isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.I'm gonna go ahead and say that Carl Everett might know the team dynamic a lot more than you or I will ever know. For all we know, Willie Harris gave the "win one for the gipper" speech before every game of the year.

That being said, I think the Sox will be fine this year. Leaders are defined through the course of the season - and whether it's AJ, PK or Arnie ****ing Munoz, the Sox will have a presence.

D. TODD
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Willie Harris and Frank Thomas had a presence? :o: I thought Frank was in Vegas the whole season except for one magical month. Willie? He was a decent bench player and is best known for scoring the winning run in the clinching game. But a presence? I do agree about Aaron being missed and AJ being a leader. Carl is outspoken but isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. You do not have to be a superstar to be a positive presence on a ballclub. His comments are fine with me, the players that have left were huge parts to the overall team in his opinion. That team did as well as any other team can ever do, they won it all! Who fans feel are the leaders is irrelevant, the players are all that counts in the clubhouse and the field. I understand his comments, but I feel the moves were positive for the ballclub overall. Good luck Carl, give em hell in Seattle. You were a huge part in bringing the title to Chicago.

KyWhiSoxFan
03-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Carl's right in that the team will be missing a few things with some of the departed players.

For instance, the Sox will be lacking a player who swings at every inside pitch at his ankles that he has not chance of hitting. Who is going to fill that role, Carl?

soxstarter
03-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Everett is trying to speak practically here but he can't help but interject a little sour grapes. Of course he still wanted to be a part of a team that clicked so well together, however that is not to say the new combination of players won't "form...storm.....and then rise above the "norm" for a different yet highly effective team. They still have great leadership.....Ozzie.

IronFisk
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Last time I checked, our pitching won the title. This guy did nearly zilch in the postseason.

Can't hear him anyway, got a WORLD SERIES trophy stuck in my ear, and a COWBELL ringing in the other!

SOecks
03-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Carl's right in that the team will be missing a few things with some of the departed players.

For instance, the Sox will be lacking a player who swings at every inside pitch at his ankles that he has not chance of hitting. Who is going to fill that role, Carl?

SOLID!!! Ahahahahahaaaa. Well, they do have Borchard on the roster to swing at crap pitches still...

TDog
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM

I thought the same thing. If it were someone other than Everett talking, I might have believed he was talking about race. But Carl isn't shy about making it clear what he believes.

It wasn't like Carl gave that much to the team for a long time. (Maybe I'm wrong because most of us apparently don't know what we're watching when we watch baseball, right Carl?) It wasn't like Sox fans worshiped him as a hero, so the comments really didn't sting.

As for Carl's assertion that the Sox won't repeat as World Series champs, that's pretty easy for him to say. Winning isn't easy, with two rounds of playoffs to get the World Series after a long season to qualify for the playoffs. The chances (not that gambling-odds crap) of any team repeating are not good. That not only applies to teams that make improvements during the offseason, but the ones that fall after returning with virtually the same team.

As for what Carl said he believes, I don't believe a lot of things he believes.

SoxFan76
03-10-2006, 01:25 PM

No offense, but I'll take Carl's word on who's a clubhouse leader over yours any day...seeing how he was actually with the team all year.

FP_sox
03-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Calr's opinon about how the team will not repeat because there are too many new people is not very vaild to me. Last year there were many new players and that helped.

soxinem1
03-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Everett is trying to speak practically here but he can't help but interject a little sour grapes. Of course he still wanted to be a part of a team that clicked so well together, however that is not to say the new combination of players won't "form...storm.....and then rise above the "norm" for a different yet highly effective team. They still have great leadership.....Ozzie.

I agree with you. What's he going to say 'I liked winning my first World Championship, but I prefer to play in a pitchers paradise with a team that MAY finish third here in Seattle?' Of course not!

And as far as the new players, well, at least none of them, unless Ruben Rivera makes the team at some point, have bad reps, so all we can do is wait for the bell to ring.

thomas35forever
03-10-2006, 05:30 PM
It's comments like these that'll turn Everett into one of the mediots on Baseball Tonight someday.

DickAllen72
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Carl certainly was a positive presence both in the lineup and in the clubhouse. Carl Everett was a big part of the Sox becoming World Series Champs. Anyone who denies that is foolish.

The edge Carl brought to the team will certainly be missed, and he is 100% correct about A.J. being the vocal leader now.

Only time will tell about the team chemistry for 2006. Hopefully Carl turns out to be wrong on that. He's entitled to his opinion, and I saw nothing wrong with what he said.

BTW, compare Gonzalez's story in the Tribune with Cowley's. Notice how Gonzalez describes Carl as "calmly" stating his opinions and the conversation between KW and Carl as "animated." Cowley describes it as "heated".

After KW & Carl spoke, Carl said "there is no problem." Let's leave it at that and wish him well in Seattle. And thanks, Carl, for the trophy! Glad you made it to the White House with the team!

MySoxAreClean
03-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I wonder if CARL is still looking for his wife after he made those comments for the trib, last seen in Houston after game 4.

RKMeibalane
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
:KW

"He's an idiot."

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2006, 10:08 PM
the Sox will be lacking a player who swings at every inside pitch at his ankles that he has no chance of hitting. Who is going to fill that role, Carl?

:LTP
"Hey,i'm available!!":D: :D: