PDA

View Full Version : Angels Tempted Konerko...

Norberto7
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Now it can be told. Paul Konerko was close to singing with the Angels, rather than the White Sox. "If I was a betting man, I'd say there was a 60 to 70 percent chance I was going to the Angels," Konerko said Wednesday. Konerko liked the Angels' offer, their proximity to his Phoenix-area home for spring training and the regular season, their coaching staff and their owner's commitment to winning.

Oh, Paulie...:rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/03/09/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html

Brian26
03-09-2006, 10:22 PM
The gist of that story was in the Trib this morning too. PK went on to say that he's happy he signed w/ the Sox, it feels "right" now, and he's 100% happy.

Norberto7
03-09-2006, 10:27 PM
The gist of that story was in the Trib this morning too. PK went on to say that he's happy he signed w/ the Sox, it feels "right" now, and he's 100% happy.

Does it say what changed his mind after leaning LAA of A? I'd be interested to hear if it was more a personal or business decision.

jdm2662
03-09-2006, 10:31 PM
And this is news? Tell us something we don't know. Konerko wanted the fifth year, the Sox gave it to him, and he signed here. If the Sox doesn't offer the fifth year, he probably bolts.

Jjav829
03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Does it say what changed his mind after leaning LAA of A? I'd be interested to hear if it was more a personal or business decision.

The story is in a few LA papers today. Some quotes from the different stories:

Konerko said he took some advice and went where he would be most comfortable. The person that gave him that advice was Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
"He stayed in Chicago for what were very important reasons to him and I respect those," Scioscia said. "Paul's a very loyal guy. I think he would have been an incredible fit for us, but I definitely respect the reasons he had for staying in Chicago."

"The Angels made it as hard as can be everything they did was right," Konerko said. "Once the best offers came in, it came down to where I feel comfortable playing. It was tough. It was like dealing with two home-town teams, and whoever I said no to it was like I was letting down family."

"Paul stayed in Chicago for very important reasons, and I respect that," Scioscia said. "He felt a huge connection with that organization.

"He blossomed into a star there, and his bond with the city and fans was very strong. He would have been an incredible fit for us, but I respect the reasons he stayed in Chicago."

Link #1 (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3582390)

Link #2 (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angelrep9mar09,1,496697.story?coll=la-headlines-sports)

ChiSoxGirl
Konerko wanted the fifth year, the Sox gave it to him, and he signed here. If the Sox doesn't offer the fifth year, he probably bolts.

I also heard on an XM Radio interview that Kenny Williams did back in January that a deciding factor in Konerko's decision to stay was the acquisition of Jim Thome. Having that power hitter behind him to protect him in the order was very important to him.

IlliniSox4Life

He's said several times that the signing of Jim Thome made it hard not to come back to the Sox.

However, your snippet you quoted said he like the offer, liked the location, liked the coaching staff, and liked the commitment to winning. There's only one of those the Sox don't have (the location). So his choice was basically stay with the team he's been with for most his career or move closer to home. The WS victory and adding of Jim Thome probably tipped the scales.

voodoochile
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
He's said several times that the signing of Jim Thome made it hard not to come back to the Sox.

However, your snippet you quoted said he like the offer, liked the location, liked the coaching staff, and liked the commitment to winning. There's only one of those the Sox don't have (the location). So his choice was basically stay with the team he's been with for most his career or move closer to home. The WS victory and adding of Jim Thome probably tipped the scales.

I would bet the money he stands to make in endorsements didn't hurt either. In Chicago he is a HUGE fish in a relatively little entertainment pond while in LA he is just another 1B in a town loaded with talent and big celebrities.

Mark my words, PK will be all over the advertising stuff sooner rather then later. He is a household name right now for his performance in the playoffs and because the Sox are so hot.

I'm not saying the other factors aren't the driving force, but I imagine he stands to make $2-3M/year more in Chicago than in LA and that's probably a conservative estimate...

SOXintheBURGH
03-09-2006, 11:52 PM
I would bet the money he stands to make in endorsements didn't hurt either. In Chicago he is a HUGE fish in a relatively little entertainment pond while in LA he is just another 1B in a town loaded with talent and big celebrities.

Mark my words, PK will be all over the advertising stuff sooner rather then later. He is a household name right now for his performance in the playoffs and because the Sox are so hot.

I'm not saying the other factors aren't the driving force, but I imagine he stands to make $2-3M/year more in Chicago than in LA and that's probably a conservative estimate...

Chicago Home Run Heroes

1. Frank Thomas
2. Sammy Sosa

voodoochile
03-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Chicago Home Run Heroes

1. Frank Thomas
2. Sammy Sosa

Heck, Magglio and Corey Patterson were doing McDonald's commercials. His performance in the playoffs and the fact that the Sox are champs has to be worth something in advertising circles. If not, perhaps he can go around on a series of lectures to businessmen lunches: "The best guys you work with. How to keep the boss from dumping them for guys not nearly as good." :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
03-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm sure location had a lot to do with the Angels' attractiveness. They're a lot closer to his home and family. All else being equal, he would probably have signed with the Angels. But I think he liked his situation in Chicago, and you'd have to think an improved chance of going to another WS was a factor, too.