PDA

View Full Version : Life as a Sox Fan - best moment, worst moment, when you knew you were a diehard

tony1972
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I have been a casual fan since the late 1970's and a diehard fan since 1990.

I was wondering as your life as a Sox Fan - when was your best moment, worst moment and when you realized you were a diehard...

We can do two for best because I know 2005 will be the answer for almost everyone..

Best (1) October 26th , 2005 (of course) and every day since
(2) When the Sox clinched the AL West in 1993 at home

Worst (1) Right after the White Flag Trade..going to games in late 90's when it seemed I was the only Sox Fan in Chicago
(2) 1996 when they had a large wild card lead and blew it the last two weeks..
(3) Okay..I know it's pathetic but when the Sox missed the playoffs in 2003 and the Cubs made it (no - I am not Flubsessed)..

Became a diehard: in 1990 when I started going to UIC in 1989 and started going to games after classes 2 or 3 times a week (last year of Old Comiskey)..also Frank Thomas came to the Sox..

TornLabrum
03-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Best: Do I really need to say it?

Worst: The twi-night doubleheader against the Kansas City A's when the Sox collapsed when they seemed to be on the verge of winning the pennant in one of the best AL races I can remember.

Became a Diehard: That day in 1955 when I walked into my grandpa's living room at the very moment Chico Carrasquel hit one out.

rdwj
03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Good thread!

Best: same as everyone - WS baby!

Worst: The moment the Cubs clinched the WC in 03 until the Bartman incident. I took more grief during that time than any other.

Became a Diehard: Wow - that's hard to say. The Sox have been my favorite team in professional sports for as long as I can remember. But, I guess I reached a different level when we were "Winning Ugly"!

chisox77
03-09-2006, 11:27 PM
1. BEST - 2005 World Series Championship (10/26/05)

2. WORST - Jerry Dybzinski getting caught between 2nd and 3rd base in 1983 playoffs against the Orioles, which turned out to be the clinching game for Baltimore (Britt Burn's terrific outing was wasted).

I was "Soxxed" very early in life, and going to games with my older brother and his friends (throughout the 70s) ensured my loyalties to the White Sox.

IA_soxfan
03-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Best- 1) Watching AJ (himself a big dude) jump on Bobby "Big 'n Tall" Jenks ending our 88 year drought.

Worst - Final out of the ALDS in 2000. That was the first sox team that I can actually vividly remember being competitive. 2000 was a great season in a lot of ways, and despite our ailing pitching staff I still had hope for us to at least get a home playoff win and win our first playoff series in ages. Getting swept was akin to watching your best friend make out with your girlfriend. Just like 2005, my 2000 season ended with me tearing up. Unlike 2005, they were tears of frustration/disgust.

Became a diehard - 1991 at my first Sox game.

AWhiteSoxWinner
03-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Best: I was the most fired up the night they won the pennant. Watched the game outside with my dad and two of my best friends. We went crazy after the game, screaming like kids. The whole postseason and since has been magical...even better than I dreamed it would be.

Best at the park: A great tailgate...steaks, brats, Goose Island beer and Padron cigars with my dad, then watching the Sox come back from being down 8-0 against Kerry Wood and the Cubs and winning 13-9.

Worst: 2000 playoffs...what a letdown to a great season.

I am a life long fan but I knew I was a diehard in 93 when I despised hearing about Michael Jordan retiring and thought it just stole the spotlight that the Sox earned and deserved.

TDog
03-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Worst (1) Right after the White Flag Trade..going to games in late 90's when it seemed I was the only Sox Fan in Chicago....

The trade came just before my annual trip to see the Sox play in Anaheim. Navarro pitched the day of the trade, and the White Sox managed to win 14-12 or something like that. Scott Eyre came up to start the Friday night game and got beat, like 9-1. I drove to Anaheim to see Chris Clemons make his major league debut and give up five runs in the second en route to a 5-2 loss. There are always Sox fans who come to Anaheim for their only chance to see the Sox, and this year they unfurled an SOS banner, saying, save our Sox.

I grew up with the Sox losing, so there were a lot of down moments. My worst moment had to be the end of the 1983 season, followed by the end of the 2000 season.

My best moment wasn't the last game of 2005. Not having television, I couldn't see the games, but I was working late the night of Game 3. As I was leaving, I got to see the last pop out on a television set in another part of the building where I work. I knew then as I walked out into the foggy night that the Sox, the way they won that night, weren't going to lose this series. Everything that followed was anticlimactic, although hearing the Jon Miller's call of the last two innings and discussing the game in WSI chat indeed was a thrill.

MarySwiss
03-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Best--Oh, please!

Worst--When they lost the LCS to Baltimore in 1983. I was distraught. I wandered over to the Jewel and shopped, mindlessly pushing a cart around with tears streaming down my face. It was on the Northwest Side, so I got some strange looks.

Diehard--one pleasant summer evening. I guess I was about four years old. I was sitting outside our apartment at 32nd and Normal with my follks, watching a bunch of very happy people going home from the game. (The Sox must've won, I guess!) That's when I saw the light! :D:

twsoxfan5
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Best- Same as everyone

Worst- This past season's near collapse. When I had to hear it everyday when I went to work. Not a day went by when someone didn't come to my cube and say "What happened last night, those Sox are going to crap thier pants." Looks like I got my payback though.

I knew I was a diehard just this year. I have been a fan all my life, but it was proved to me when I opened up a photo album not too long ago and there was a picture of me in there with the 1983 style Sox hat on. I must have been 4 years old.

soccermomsox
03-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Best: Obvious

Worst: Honestly it was the start of the 94 strike. We were at the last game before the strike, hoping it wouldn't happen but I felt betrayed by the Sox and baseball. It wasn't easy to come back from that.

Knew I was a diehard: That was pointed out to me by others. Being a sox fan is part of my existence. It was when I got my voice mail after they won and had all of these people, some I hadn't spoken to in ages, calling to congratulate me. It was then I realized how pervasive being a sox fan was in my entire life. It was kind of an awakening that not everyone lives their life this way!:D:

Baby Fisk
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Best: Selig hands Reinsdorf the trophy. I burst into tears and sobbed like a man completely unhinged. It was like an exorcism. :redface:

Worst: White Flag Trade. I was so irate and disappointed I stopped following the Sox from 97 to 00. :angry:

Diehard moment: Watching the 1993 ALCS in the campus pub, the lone Palehose fan surrounded by hordes of bandwagon Jays fans.

Dan Mega
03-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Best: Guess...

Worst: The strike ending an incredible Sox season.

Diehard: 1986, first game when I was 5 with my grandpa.

TommyJohn
03-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Best: Actually, when Paul Konerko fielded Casey Kotchman's grounder and
strolled to first base. To me, seeing them MAKE the World Series for the
first time in my life was the best thrill I could possibly experience. Seeing
them win it was simply icing on the cake.

Worst: a toss up between 1984 and 2003. In 1984 the White Sox were
tabbed the surest thing in the history of sure things. Who will the White
Sox play in the World Series? A 74-88 record answered that question.

2003. Oh, man. I was convinced that the Cubs would win the World Series
(I picked them to do so) and the Sox would fade away, irrelevant, unloved
and scorned even more than before, while fans and media danced on their
graves. That they held first place before collapsing in Minnesota made it
worse, and convinced me that I would never, ever see the White Sox win
a World Series in my lifetime, much less get there. To say that I got a
bit carried away emotionally would be an understatement.

The sweep at the end of the 2000 season was a pretty low moment as
well.

Diehard moment? Don't know. I have been following them since I was small,
when they were wearing red pinstripes. I can't really tab a moment.

PaulDrake
03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
The best and worst were both in 05. What a roller coaster ride. We went to see them in Florida and on the 4th of July in Chicago. When they swept Cleveland after the All Star break I thought it was clear sailing to the playoffs. I temporarily forgot my multiple traumas suffered from rooting for the Sox. When they went into that slump I was nearly a basket case. I must admit the fights and tension on this board depressed me a little bit too. That's why no matter what happens in the future, nothing will ever top the 05 postseason for me. I became a diehard in the spring of 1957, as the Sox started out 32-13, and eventually came in second place to those damned New York Yankees.

EastCoastSoxFan
03-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Best: Talking with my brother on the phone during the day on October 26, 2005, just hours after the game 3 marathon. Practically the first thing out of his mouth was, "Can you believe this? We're actually going to WIN the World Series!" Several hours later he was proven correct, and the fact that the clinching game of the World Series was a 1-0 pitching duel decided by a manufactured run and a pair of stellar defensive plays was especially sweet.

Worst: I realize that the tragedy of September 11, 2001, was very much larger than baseball, but I actually had tickets to the Sox/Yankees game on September 12. At that moment baseball didn't really seem all that important. I didn't even bother to go to the re-scheduled game.

Knew I was a diehard: My first year coaching softball was 1999, and my team actually won our league championship. Some of the guys on my team, knowing my sports loyalties as they did, pitched in and bought me some tickets to see the Sox play the Orioles at Camden Yards. Having at that point lived in Philadelphia for almost nine years (and having been a financially challenged college student / recent graduate for most of that time), I hadn't seen a live Sox game in several years; and during the lean years of the late '90s I hadn't had any special motivation to. But going to that game, watching them win, and seeing a team that actually showed some promise (and went on to win the division in 2000 and...well, you know the rest!) helped sort of bring me back to the Sox fold. As you can read in my sig, I have been a faithful out-of-town follower of the Sox ever since...

TomBradley72
03-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Best: (non-2005) Bo Jackson's "hang time" HR the night they clinched the 1993 West Division.

Worst: Game one of the "New Comiskey Park" in 1991...the place was absolutely horrible...sterile, cold, poorly designed, no connection to the history of the franchise, an ocean of plastic blue seats and drab concrete.

Became a Diehard: Summer of 1971...listening to an exciting young team on the radio with Harry Caray behind the mike...the contrast between the White Sox and the "we wanna hit" crowd to the north made me a lifetime WSox fan. The acquisition of Dick Allen the following winter sealed the deal forever.

mjharrison72
03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Worst: White Flag Trade. I was so irate and disappointed I stopped following the Sox from 97 to 00. :angry:

Most non-Sox fans don't understand what an effect this had on us. This was at a time when the Indians always seemed to have the better team, and we weren't that far behind them. It wasn't crazy to think we had a shot at them, and the Sox traded essentially their entire pitching staff. They somewhat fell off the map for me for a few years, too.

I can't remember a time when I wasn't a Sox fan, but I do remember a game my Grandma took me to (she always used to try to get Fireworks Night tickets) when I was about 5 or 6, and the Andy Frain usher really took a liking to me. He asked me who my favorite player was, and I told him it was Carlton Fisk. He said "Oh, you like 'Pudge,' huh?" I remember not knowing what he was talking about, because I had never heard that nickname for Carlton Fisk (in my mind, he was always "Carlton Fisk"... still is), but I nodded and smiled. He came back a few innings later and had a notecard with Fisk's autograph on it. I'm not sure if it really is, or not, but it's one of my earliest memories of being at a Sox game.

Best moment for me was game 2 of the World Series... Konerko's slam when it looked like we might have a tougher Series than we anticiapted, and I knew, just KNEW, that we were going to win not just the game, but the whold enchilada.

Uncle_Patrick
03-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Best: Well, my best is the same as everyone's, so I'll describe my 2nd best. It was at the rehearsal dinner for my cousin's wedding. It was at Harry Carry's downtown. The Cubs/Sox game is on. My family are all Sox fans. My cousin's in-laws were all Cubs fans. The game is the TV and tied in 10th inning, and fans of both teams are giving each other a hard time. Carlos Lee comes up with the bases loaded and knocks the ball out of the park. Every Sox fan in the room is going nuts. I turn around and every single Cubs fan is gone.

Worst: The White Flag trade. I remember just being dumbstruck by the whole thing. In my mind, the Sox had a good chance to take the division. It felt like the organization just gave up. As a fan, that was sickening feeling to have.

When I knew I was a diehard: Always. I can't remember not being a diehard fan. I was checking the newspaper for boxes everyday since I was about 8 or 9 and being heartbroken every time they lost (and in the mid and late '80's, that was a lot of heartache). When I was 6, I was given 2 1983 Western Division Champs shirts that I wore constantly for the next 2 or 3 years until my mother threw them away. I never considered not rooting for the Sox. Everyone I knew growing up were Cubs fans, outside of my family (and even many of them were casual fans). I got crap for being a Sox fan all the time. It just made me cling to my fandom even more.

Meixner007
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Best: ...Over Jenk's head, Uribe has it....

Worst: I don't know why but I think the '03 season where Foulke and the Sox blew a 6 run lead in the bottom of the ninth in the metrodome. I was livid.

Diehard: Witnessing Ventura's walk off grand slam off Goose. For people that don't remember that game, there are numerous threads on it, and also it provided the memorable picture where Frank throws Robin over his shoulder and is jumping up and down.

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Best:
1. same as everyone else: 10/26/05 :supernana:
2. Game 2, '05 ALCS. I was at the game and it was the most intense, exciting crowd I have ever experienced at a sporting event. :bandance:
3. Game 2, '05 WS - Best. Game. EVER!:bandance:
4. Sox clinch AL West in '83 :bandance:

Worst:
1. Going to bed on 6/30/88 thinking for certain that the Sox were moving to Fla. Next morning, my clock radio went off and Bruce Wolf was on the Loop signing "Na na na, hey hey hey...." and I thought for sure it meant the Sox were gone....but then he suddenly switched to the Beatles "...I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello". That's when I found out about the last-minute stadium deal that kept the Sox in Chicago. Whew!

2. White Flag Trade. I agree with mjh72 that you can't underestimate the effect this had on Sox fans. It was very discouraging - and humiliating.:angry:

3. '03 September collapse through Bartman game. I agree with TommyJohn, this isn't about Flubsession. Any Sox fan who lived in the Chicago metro area during this period understands the humiliation us Sox fans went through at the hands of Cub fans. But, we got more than our pay back over the ensuing 24 months. :cool:

4. '83 ALCS elimination. I was more disappointed then than I was in '93 or '00. Maybe it's because I was only 12 in '83.:whiner:

Diehard Fan Since:
1977 season. My first season really following baseball. That season will always have a special place in my heart.

Hitmen77
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Diehard: Witnessing Ventura's walk off grand slam off Goose. For people that don't remember that game, there are numerous threads on it, and also it provided the memorable picture where Frank throws Robin over his shoulder and is jumping up and down.

I'll add that to my list of best moments. :cool:

Chip Z'nuff
03-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Best: One Hot autumn day watching the White Sox (and getting a good tan) clobber Matt Clemente and the Red Sox and knowing (not wishing) we were going to win it all.

Worst: The Last game at Comiskey. It just felt all wrong the way it was being done.

Die Hard Moment: The Last Season at Comiskey, I went to every game I could go to (at least 30). Had our own secret parking spot and everything. Still remember pulling into some industrial lot and the caretaker coming out for sure to kick us out, and he says "You friends of Pete" we said yeah, he said ok. Kept parking there all season (townhouses now).

That was the sweetest season, and we were sooo close to winning the West too! Get goosebumps thinking about it...

Rooney4Prez56
Best: Hearing Rooney's World Series winning call.

Worst: September '05 - not including the Al Central clincher on.

Diehard: when I joined WSI. If I was a casual fan, I wouldn't be here.

DSpivack
Best: Obvious. Went to Sox fans apt. near here, champagne on ice, Game 4 was downright surreal. Honorable mention goes to Games 1 and 2 of the ALDS, Game 5 of the ALCS, the Joe Crede walkoff against Cleveland, the Carlos Lee walkoff against the Cubs, and many more.

Worst: Game 1 of 2000 is among them. After that game, I didn't even bother going to game 2, even though had tickets. Call me a dark cloud, but I knew they'd get swept. Call me flubsessed, but Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, leading up to the 8-run inning was awful. I got called plenty of names from friends from back home; even one saying I was a terrible person for rooting against a Chicago team. Suffice it to say I didn't hear from them last October. I didn't rub it in their faces, because I'm a better man.

Diehard: Going to an ALCS game in 1993 solidified me as a Sox fan at age 9, but going to Opening Day in 2000 molded me into a diehard. The atmosphere that night was special, Ray Durham had an awesome catch going back from 2B into RF, and you could tell that season was going to be different.

santo=dorf
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Best: WS Winner

Worst: Swept in HHH dome in Late September in 2003. "Sox fans" idiots running on the field making real Sox fans look bad.

Die Hard Since: Albert Belle's monster second half in 1998. I stopped watching after the strike, but Belle, McGwire and Sosa sparked my interest again.

eastchicagosoxfan
03-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Best Obviously 2005. Before last year, Julio Cruz crossing the plate, and in 2000 when the Sox played several games against Cleveland and the Yanks consecutively, and dominated each series.

Worst: I was terribly unhappy when Veeck had to sell to Reinsdorf and Einhorn. There was the pay-per-view deal, Harry Caray left, and there was always the spectre hanging over that the Sox could move. That almost happened in 1988, I think. The final game at Comiskey Park, and the fact that as well as the team played in 1990, it wasn't good enough. And then to boot, someone with no love of baseball, and certainly utterly indifferent to the White Sox, has the privledge of turning out the lights at Comiskey Park. That was a joke.

Die Hard: In 1977, when Jim Spencer hit two grandslams in a single game. I was there. The Southside Hitmen made me into a die-hard. I was nine years old. I doubt that there's been a more influential third place team in the history of the game. The Sox were Southside Hitmen, reveling in briefly grasping the brass ring, and the Cubs were loveable losers, lamenting about black cats, curses, and what might have been.

haganaga
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Best moment(s) :
Seen in person: My first pro ballgame at Old Comiskey in 1986 against the Red Sox when I was 10. The first night game at New Comiskey. Jose's dinger against the Cubs a few years back, and last year I saw Buerhle's 1 hr 39 min game, AJ's homer against the Dodgers, Crede's homer over the tribe and 4 playoff games (ALDS Game 2, ALCS Game 1 & World Series games 1 & 2. Game 2 being the greatest game I've ever been to...and, most likely, will ever see)

Best moments not seen in person: Pennant & World Series clinchers

Worst moment: The drive home after Game 1 of the 93 ALCS. Just crushing

When I knew I was a diehard: 5th grade (1985) on the bus for a field trip to Chicago and we're all singing "Take me out to the ballgame" and when it came to "root, root, root for the..." my buddy Rich & I were the only ones to yell out, "WHITE SOX!" while the rest of the sheep yelled Cubbies.

brucefan34
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
[quote=mjharrison72]Most non-Sox fans don't understand what an effect this had on us. This was at a time when the Indians always seemed to have the better team, and we weren't that far behind them. It wasn't crazy to think we had a shot at them, and the Sox traded essentially their entire pitching staff. They somewhat fell off the map for me for a few years, too.

So I am in the same boat as you 2. I felt lost after that trade, I even burned all my Sox hats I was so pissed. My best friend (don't know why, he's a Cubs fan) keeps riding me about how he has been a LIFELONG Cubs fan...no matter what! I tell him thats his problem, always settling for the same old crappy team year-in-and-year-out.

I guess I did not BACK them during this time but alway followed them out of the corner of my eye. Then eventually, around 2000, I started coming around. I had too much invested in them to not...they are my dad's team, they were my grandfather's team and great grandmother's team. They were my first baseball game in '76 with my dad and grandfather...and Wayne Nordhagen gave me one of his bats. I also saw some moves they were starting to make, players they were bringing in, stadiums they were renovating, Venezuelan manager they brought in...and so on and so on. Thw White Sox were the one constant my father and I had, so if I was to not have them I would be missing a part of my relationship with my dad. Anyhow...enough sap!

Best: I was out of town the day after the Sox won the series and had not talked to my dad yet. I came home that Sunday after and went to check the mail and hanging on my front door was a paperbag. When I looked inside, there was the World Series hat! Only one person could have gotten that for me...Dad. when i talked to him he said since we could not get together to watch a game, it was his way of sharing the Series with me!

Worst: The afore mentioned Wayne Nordhagen bat...my stepfather threw it away. It was cracked and he thought it was useless!!

Die-Hard: I guess since that day in '76. With lapses in judgement for a few years!

PS: To TDOG...you live in Juneau? I am going to be there at the end of July!! Any hot spots to check out?

VenturaSoxFan23
03-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Best: Opening Day 2005. My brother & I were there to watch Buehrle's masterful 1-0 shutout in less than 2 hours. I thought to myself, "This season's going to be different. I can feel it."

Worst & The Day I Knew I Was A Die-Hard: That all-nighter where it appeared the Sox were all but moved in 1988. I was 13 and couldn't sleep. I kept the radio on 780 and listened with great concern as they kept giving us updates on how things were shaking out. Midnight struck without an agreement. I thought the team was history.
Usually, my parents would have walked in and told me to shut off the radio and get to sleep. But, they understood. They were wondering the same thing I was, "Please stay!"

DeadMoney
03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Best: Coming home from college for game 4 to watch the game with family (I had a feeling it was going to be over) and sharing a hug with my dad as the team mobbed each other on the field. Still gives me chills just typing it.

Worst: 2000 being eliminated from the playoffs was terrible. 2001-2003 watching us consistently lose the central in the 2nd half was bad too. I can not really pick a worst moment though because I have been in love with this team since my first and only game at the old park with my grandma.

Diehard: When I was consistently allowed to miss school from 1998-2005 for opening day and the 2000 playoff games. (For the '05 playoffs I did not actually miss any classes) And also hearing stories of my dad, grandma, aunts and unlces camping out in 1983 for playoff tickets made it impossible to not be.

HChappasJr
03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Best moment - Hugging my father right after Uribe threw out Orlando Palmeiro for the final out of the World Series.

Worst moment - Top of the 10th inning, game 4 of the '83 ALCS when Tito Landrum took Britt Burns deep into the upper deck.

Die-hard moment - When the Sox had to forefeit game 2 of a double-header because of Disco Demolition. I was livid that they had to forefeit that game, as if the 1979 White Sox were going anywhere anyway. I was 12 years old and, looking back on it, even though I was a fan before that, that's when I became die-hard.

ChiSox Fan 68
03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow, this is a great thread!

Best moment: Of course, 10/26/05 – I’ll never forget calling my dad, choking back the tears, thanking him for raising me a Sox fan. When I was driving home that night from my friend’s house I heard “We are the Champions” (corny song, I know, but...)on the Loop and I started crying so hard I almost had to pull over. Huge honorable mention goes to Game 2 of the ALCS – I was there and it was the most electric, amazing atmosphere ever. My brother-in-law was with us at the game and just so happened to have taped the end of the game with his digital camera. That 4 minutes of video/audio is unreal. None of the fans wanted to leave – everyone was high-fiving, singing Let’s Go Go Go White Sox, chanting “Crede! Crede!”. I can just watch that over and over again.

Worst moment: Being at Sox Park for either Game 1 or Game 2 in 2000 (I can’t even recall which one I was at). It was thoroughly depressing – I remember my friends and I leaving the park, crabby beyond belief, hungry, sad…ugh, it was awful.

Die Hard: My introduction to the Sox was the 1977 South Side Hit Men. It was love at first sight!

manders_01
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Best: World Champions!

Worst: 1. Not being able to be in the Chicago area during and post WS run. It sucked to watch it all on TV and not have really anyone to share my happiness with. 2: June 26th, 2005 - the only Sox game I was able to get to last year. Saturday afternoon against the Cubs, we lost. On my way to the game, on the El, with my best friend, I got a text message from my live in boyfriend that it wasn't going to work out and he moved out. He finished the message with Go Cubs (yes, I should have known better than to be with a Cubs fan - believe me, it will NEVER happen again) and texted me after the game about how great the Cubs were. Unfortunately, instead of thinking of that game as a fun afternoon with my friend, I always equate it with that.

Diehard: I have always been 100% behind the Sox. But my favorite team of all time is the Bears. Prior to last season they were always above the Sox as far as my interest, commitment, etc. but the Sox have definitely come a lot closer to the Bears. Don't get me wrong, I have always loved and been a huge follower or Sox but I am completely obsessed with the Bears (i.e. clothing, home decor, cat decor, named my cat for the Bears, etc.)

pythons007
03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Best - 2005 WS, if anyone says anything else it can't be true! Second clinching the 93 division against Seattle.

Worst - The Cubs in the playoffs in 2003. I caught so much **** from all my dumbass Cub friends. But it all came full circle when they blew an 8 run lead and lost a 3-1 series lead! So that could almost be a best season/event.

StockdaleForVeep
03-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Best: world series
worst-2000 post season(which is the only part of sox pride i hate when watching)

areilly
03-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Best: Tie between either the Sunday night at Puffer's when the Sox won the pennant, or two Wednesdays later at Lottie's the night the World Series ended. Beer was sprayed everywhere and I think I planted one on the cheek of every woman in our half of the bar.

Worst: September 23, 2003 at Comiskey. Yankees 7, White Sox 0. We were in it all year long but in the end, Jose Contreras nailed the coffin shut. Sox lose; Twins clinch the division. Heartbreak in the first-person.

Diehard: I believe it was 1991, and I was at a night game with my grandpa's sister. I forget who the Sox were playing, but that night they were giving out these padded yellow seat cushions at the gate. Sometime around the sixth inning there was a bad call on the field. The fans were booing like crazy, and not long afterwards the seat cushions went flying towards the field. I asked my aunt why people were throwing them, and she said (and I'll never forget this):

"Because we're Sox fans, and Sox fans don't take that kind of crap."

To my twelve-year-old mind, that was pure genius. That night when I got home, I threw out my lone Cubs t-shirt and haven't looked back since.

Sox-on-TV44
03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Best:
2005.'Nuff Said!!!!!:D:

Worst:
1989 the last year the Sox finished last.To add salt to the wound,the Cubs made the playoffs that year.(But smiled when the Giants smacked them in 5 games!)

I knew I was a diehard when.....
the 1983 "Winning Ugly" team clinched.I was only a toddler,but still I realized that the White Sox was life to me!!!!!

MeteorsSox4367
03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Best Moment(s): Sox-Brewers, 1974 at Comiskey. First Sox game ever.

October 26, 2005: Hugging my dad, my mom and my dog after Uribe threw out Palmeiro to win the Series. Having one of my friends since childhood call me up minutes later and just screaming at each other that we couldn't believe the Sox had won.

Summer, 1984: Having Greg Walker - my all-time Sox idol - and some of his teammates sign my hat for me when I worked for SportsService (sp?)

Best/Worst Moment(s): Sept. 1990, Sox-Twins at Comiskey. Friend takes a great picture of me and Dad on 35th and Shields with the old Comiskey behind us. Last Sox game for me at a place that meant/means so much.

Tom Paciorek dissing my dad at an autograph signing in Drovers' Bank parking lot in the early 80s. My dad mentioned to Paciorek that "the kid says you're one of his favorites and your card is worth a quarter."

To which Paciorek replied sarcastically, "Hey, that's great."

When I Knew I Was A Diehard:

In high school, when I should have been out chasing girls with my friends, I stayed in because the Sox were on.

After the last out of the Series, standing on my front porch and just crying.

When I was watching the Sox' World Series video at my friend's Christmas party and crying while watching the last out again.

Also, getting misty just about every day when going to work, getting off the Ryan at 31st and looking at the ballpark and still trying to comprehend the fact that the Sox - THE SOX - won the Series.

TDog
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM

Tom Paciorek dissing my dad at an autograph signing in Drovers' Bank parking lot in the early 80s. My dad mentioned to Paciorek that "the kid says you're one of his favorites and your card is worth a quarter."

To which Paciorek replied sarcastically, "Hey, that's great."....

That's dissing? In 1972, when I was a kid, Harry Caray cussed me out when I told him away from he park in Texas that I was a Sox fan because he was too busy to deal with people at the moment.

TomBradley72
03-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Die-hard moment - When the Sox had to forefeit game 2 of a double-header because of Disco Demolition. I was livid that they had to forefeit that game, as if the 1979 White Sox were going anywhere anyway. I was 12 years old and, looking back on it, even though I was a fan before that, that's when I became die-hard.

I remember feeling the same way....I was 16...and with everthing going on that night....was pissed that the meaningless 2nd game of the doubleheader was being cancelled!

kevin57
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Best: http://images.google.com/url?q=http://soxpride.mlblogs.com/sox_pride/images/soxwin.jpg

Worst: http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1994/1101940822_400.jpg of 1994.

Die-Hard: When in 1967, at the tender, formative age of 10, the Sox lost the pennant race in '67. First (but hardly only) heartbreak. I knew in that emtional reaction that I was married to this team forever.

Winnin' Ugly
03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Best Moment(s):

1. Attending Game 2 of the 2005 World Series with my dad.
2. Sitting in right field upper deck in Old Comiskey with my grandparents the night the Sox clinched in 1983.
3. Going to the July 10th game last summer with my grandfather, dad, and 7 year old son.
4. Attending the Sox-Tigers basebrawl game in April 2000.

Worst Moment(s):

1. The day Terry Bevington was named manager.
2. Watching the destruction of Old Comiskey Park.
3. Watching the Landrum home run and Jerry Dybzinski run the bases during the 83 playoffs.

Became a die hard:

1. My father took my to opening day in 1981.

DannyCaterFan
03-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Best : After waiting 42 years for the moment to finally arrive, I attended the first game of the World Series and saw the Sox win. As Josh Groban sang the National Anthem prior to the start of the game, grown men all around me were fighting back tears, as was I.

Worst : Two moments come to mind. First was while still in high school in 1967 the Sox lost their last 5 games of the regular season, in what was a 4 way race with Detroit, Minnesota, and Boston. They had the easiest path to the world series, and only the A's and Senators (Washington) stood in their way.
Then in 1983, game 4 of the playoffs, an excruciating game all the way scoreless after 9 innings. Britt Burns pitched his heart out, but the punchless offense during the playoffs could not even get him a run to work with. The Dybszynski play was the topper. After Tito Landrum homered in the 10th inning, I remember going out to my backyard on a cold Saturday afternoon and just sitting there staring into space for what seemed like forever, realizing their chance at the series was gone.

Diehard : I became a diehard opening day in 1960 when my Dad took me to my first game. Ever since I have been hooked! I love the Sox and always will!

soxfan26
03-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Best: Toasting the World Champion Chicago White Sox with my Dad.

Worst: 1994.

I knew I was a die hard in 1989 when we left Chicago for the east coast. I had to resort to following the Sox in the Washington Post and USA Today for that summer, then in 1990 our cable package picked up WGN. :D:

zach074
03-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Best: Hearing " Out out thats a White Sox Winner and a World Championship"
Worst: Seeing Ventura in a Met jersey.
I knew i was a die hard in 2000 "The Kids Can Play"

wassagstdu
03-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Best: 3 way tie
1. Ninth inning, game 4, '05
2. AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers
3. 6-3 DP vs Cleveland Sept 22, '59

Worst: 2-way tie
1. Aparicio traded to Orioles
2. Roberto Alomar acquired. That caused me to renounce my Sox fandom briefly and become a Mets fan. Ozzie brought me back.

Die-hard moment:
After calling myself a Sox fan for over 50 years, AJ's walkoff vs the Dodgers finally put me over the top permanently. (I was there).

gosox3072
03-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Best: Game 1 ALDS vs Bosox, most unbelievable and unforgetable experience i will ever have for baseball probably. Also October 26th 2005, 2 WS wins in one day!

Worst: Had to be 2003, my freshman year in college when the sox collapsed and the cubs went to the NLCS. I was one of about 6 sox fans on my freshman floor before the playoffs, and i was one of one sox fans rooting for the marlins in the NLCS that year on my floor:angry: . The bartman thing was not THAT big of a deal, but when they lost a day later, i took the biggest sigh of relief ever.

Die hard: I liked the cubs (yes i was young and dumb once!) til the turning point in my life in 99 when we swept them out of wrigley. After that both teams blew and then the sox had an awesome 2000. Since then my love for the sox has grown more and more, and my hatred for the cubs has grown more and more!

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Best: The entire 2005 season
Worst: The White Flag trade
Die-Hard Moment: When my aunt took me to my first game. I felt so connected to the players of my team, because I was seeing them in person for the very first time!

johnr1note
03-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Best: Attending 4 post season games in 2005 -- witnessing in person the 14-2 drubbing of Matt Clement in game 1 of the ALDS, the shift in momentum as the ball went through Toni Graffanino's legs followed by Iguchi's bomb to the bullpen in Game 2 of the ALDS; the most emotionally draining yet satisfying baseball game I have ever seen, Game 2 of the ALCS, and finally, being there for Game 1 vs. the Astros in the WS. It capped a lifetime of being a White Sox fan that started when I was born -- Sept 19, 1959. The 59 Sox clinched on the 21st, and I was still in the hospital with my Mom when they blew the air raid sirens. My Mom thought the world was coming to an end. I was ushered into this world by the White Sox, and this past year fulfilled it. As an aside, I proposed to my wife at a picnic before a game against the Blue Jays mid-season in 1983.

Worst: There are so many -- but two stand out. Watching on television, as Tito Landrum's home run sealed the fate of the 83 Sox, pulling the curtains in my basement den, and sitting in the dark in silence. I also think the threat to move the team to Florida (causing me to cancel my season tickets) is right up there too.

When was I a die-hard?: Always, i suppose -- my Dad had season tickets from the time I was a little shaver in the 60s until the 94 strike (he vowed he would never, ever returned to see the White Sox play, and he has lived up to that vow). My most precious memories as a child are attending Sox games at Old Comiskey with my Dad. But I think I really realized i couldn't live without the Sox when i was applying for jobs in my senior year of college, and was faced with the prospect of relocating to another city or state. I thought if I had to go somewhere where I couldn't drive to Sox games, I would be lost. Thankfully, I've always lived at the most a few hours drive from Chicago.

This thread was a great idea! Thanks!

Jurr
03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Best moments: Hmmm...
1. Winning the series, of course.
2. 2003 season. Sox just acquired Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar. Paul Konerko steps up to the plate against the Twins. The kid had been struggling so badly, and hits the tying bomb. Frank wins it in extras. Wow.
3. Being a four year old, bright eyed and excited about the 1983 Sox squad. I remember it all so vividly...my first year that I was really going to a lot of Sox games. Sitting in right field yelling, "Haaarooolldd!!"

Worst:
1. Watching Juan Guzman absolutely dominate Jack McDowell in the ALCS. 1a would have to be the strike that wiped out our best chance at winning it all (before 05, of course!)
2. Witnessing Billy Koch give up the walkoff against the Devil Rays, a moment that seemed to flip the 2003 season on its ear. Momentum was destroyed with one pitch.
3. The Jamie Burke/Torii Hunter series. That whole series made me want to cry or vomit.

Die Hard Moment:
I've always been a fan, but when I was 14 (1993), I moved to Tennessee. I would spend some of my lunch money every day buying a USA Today to check the standings. That's when it occurred to me that I might have a problem. :supernana:

Baines
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Best:

1) 2005, of course.
2) 1977. First time I attended a Sox game. That season was so much fun, I was hooked. The infield tractor with the butterfly wings, baseballs flying out of the park, Oscar Gamble's hair.
3) 1983. Baines drives in Julio Cruz and a Chicago baseball team is in the playoffs for the first time in my life. What a night!

Worst
1) Unquestionably, the Tito Landrum/Jerry Dybzynski game. The Sox have Lamarr Hoyt going in Game 5. All they have to do is scratch a run across in Game 4, and they are going to the World Series; if they make the series, they beat Philly easily. I never knew how much sports could hurt until that moment.
2) The state legislative session. Like others, I went to bed wondering if I would root for the St Petersburg White Sox. When I woke up, I found out I wouldn't have to find out.

Die hard moment
1) 1983 ALCS Game 4. I'm still not over it, even after 2005.

PKalltheway
03-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Best: Game 4 W.S. 2005. Another great one was Carlos Lee's game winning grand slam against the Cubs in 2001!:cool:
Worst: The Sox getting swept by Seattle in 2000. I was just in 7th grade and seeing them lose the way they did in that series just tore me up. Close second: September 2003 collapse. Close third: Robin Ventura leaving after the 1998 season.:whiner:
Die Hard Moment: The moment I became a die hard...I would probably have to go back to 2000 when Jose Valentin got a game winning broken bat single off of Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth. I remember hearing people talking the world about Rivera on shows like Baseball Tonight. Stuff like he could never blow a save or make a mistake. For the White Sox to get a win off of him, oh man it was AWESOME!!!!:cool: I can hear Hawk and D.J. in my head right now going crazy when Valentin got that hit...

Fake Chet Lemon
03-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Best- World Series Game #2 finish, that alone. But being there with my dad just took it to an insane level of joy.

Worst- Listening live on the radio to our Illinois Legislature as the clock struck midnight ending the session. I realized the stadium deal was dead and Reinsdorf was going to move the team to Florida. I was devastated, destroyed, distraught. (Luckily Big Jim kept screaming "it's 11:59! it's 11:59! for about 10 minutes after midnight until he begged some people to vote "yes" as he was calling in personal favors right there on the floor. So as least my low point was just for a few VERY LONG minutes.)

Diehard- As a 9 year year old when most of the kids in the neighborhood started calling me "White Sox" instead of my name. I didn't really realize how over the top I was until they started doing that.

SoxSpeed22
03-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Best:guess.:redneck

Worst: August of 2004 and 2005 because they sucked! Also throw in the 2000 playoffs because that also sucked, every last part of it. Especially since I ditched golf practice to watch the games and game 2 was the worst thing ever. We all turned on each other and our players.:angry:
Diehard moment: The 7 magical nights of 2000. Also throw in 2005. Even after I decided after 2004. (That other team got too hypocrytical on me).

gbergman
03-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Best: world series baby
Worst: Foulke blows all our momentum in 2001 at minnestota in july.
diehard:2000: i always loved and followed the sox, but i love sports in general and root for anybody that i dont hate except when they played the sox and padres. playoffs i root for several teams to win cause i love sports in general

RowanDye
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Best Game Moment: Jumping up and down on top of the seats after Paulie hit the slam in Game 2. Walking out after the game with my Dad all we could really say about the game was ''Unbelievable". (Of course that wouldn't have meant quite as much without them sealing the deal two games later.)

Worst Game Moment: July 4th, 2004 I was in the bleachers at Wrigley with my loud-mouthed Cubs friend when Marte walked in the Walking out after the game with my Dad all we could really say about the game was ''#$%@ing Unbelievable".

Diehard Moment: I think I became a diehard just growing up listening to Hawk and Wimpy during the early 90's. I really loved Hawk's nicknames and catch-phrases for some of those early 90's teams. I'd stay up all night looking at baseball cards, or at least until my parents caught me and made me go to sleep.

tony1972
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Does anyone remember 1996, though right after the strike and they were 20 games over .500 in June and had the wild card lead until late September?

That was one of my worst moments because I thought they would at least win the wild card and make the playoffs and this might revive the team from the 1994 strike..

I just remember August and September of 1996 when they kept losing as being bad....

RowanDye
03-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Best Game Moment: Jumping up and down on top of the seats after Paulie hit the slam in Game 2. Walking out after the game with my Dad all we could really say about the game was ''Unbelievable". (Of course that wouldn't have meant quite as much without them sealing the deal two games later.)

Worst Game Moment: July 4th, 2004 I was in the bleachers at Wrigley with my loud-mouthed Cubs friend when Marte walked in the Walking out after the game with my Dad all we could really say about the game was ''#$%@ing Unbelievable".

Diehard Moment: I think I became a diehard just growing up listening to Hawk and Wimpy during the early 90's. I really loved Hawk's nicknames and catch-phrases for some of those early 90's teams. I'd stay up all night looking at baseball cards, or at least until my parents caught me and made me go to sleep.

na-na-na-na
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Great thread idea.

Best:
(1) Other than the WS win, the "Hocus Pocus" El Duque inning was amazing--Sox fans could tell this year was definitely going to be the one after that.
(2) Uribe dives into the stands to set up the WS victory
(3) Crede's hit to win ALCS game 2
(4) Iguchi's 3-run left-field bomb against Wells. Sweet revenge.

Worst:
(1) Players go on strike, 1994
(2) Ninth inning squeeze play against the Mariners in 2000.

Diehard:
The sinking feeling in my gut when I was 11 or 12 years old and was drafted onto the "Cubs" team in little league--I loved playing, but I had to wear a Cubs uniform that whole year...

mccombe_35
03-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Best: Besides the WS win/season - The '93 clincher & playoff wins, Frank's walkoff vs Eddie in '03, and being there for Frank's 400th. Memories of games at Old Comiskey in the late 80's.Worst: The blowout loss at Comiskey II opener, '00 playoffs, '03 finish, & the almost collapse of '05Became a Diehard: Both parents are Sox fans so I was just raised a Sox fan. Have memories of sitting in the front row behind the right field wall at the old park back when Baines was out there. But I really, really became obsessed around '90 - '91 when i fell in love with Frank, Robin & Black Jack. I was in Jr High heading into the '91 season & I bet a Cubs buddy that Frank, coming off a 7 HR rookie season, would hit more HRs than Sandberg, coming off a 40 HR season.In '91 Frank hit 32 & Ryno hit 26.

Railsplitter
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Best (pre 2005): Vetura's granny off Gossage in 1991. I was there, upper deck 3rd base side. My brother and I thought it would drop into the gap, but it didn't!

Worst: Little over a month later, the Sox were close to first place when they dropped a double header in Detroit and went into a tailspin and out of the running.

Knew I was a Die hard: when i got my first Sox hat in 1975.

LaHerdiaGrande35
03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Awesome Thread! It's been great reading the stories everyone has.

Best Moment: 1.8/26/05 Best day of my life!
2. Watching Game 2 of the WS on a big-screen at a restraunt near my house. I was the only Sox fan there, everyone else was just there to watch the game. I was decked out in my lucky Sox gear, and kept praying to God during every commercial break to please help the Sox win this one. I probably looked like a retard, but at the time I didn't care. I remember praying to God for Paul to just get a hit to score 2 runs to tie it up, and when he hit the GS I just went nuts. Everyone was staring at me, but I was too excited to realize it. After the Pods walk-off I just went crazy, jumped up & down and practically danced out of the restaraunt.

Worst Moment: The 2003 Playoffs until the Flubs were elimiated. My brother and everyone I know at school is a Cubs fan so they never let me hear the end of it. I honestly thought they'd win the WS that year, but luckily I was wrong and got to tease the hell out of everyone when they lost.

Became a Diehard: After going to my first game with my dad and his cousin when I was 7 or 8. I knew this was the team I'd love forever and I was awestruck just being in the presence of Frank Thomas.

tony1972
03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
More Worst:

Any year the White Sox held a lead and lost it in the last few months..

(except for 1990..they were not expected to contend and did and went from last to 2nd..1990 next to 2005 is my favorite season as a Sox Fan)..

More Great Moments as a Sox Fan:

(1) 7 Days in 2000
(2) Home game when Sox came back from 7 game road trip in 2000
(3) All games at Old Comiskey (even the ones they lost)
(4) Carlos Lee's Grand Slam walk off in 2001
(5) 1993 Season and first half of 1994 were great

vegyrex
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Best moments: Winning the series, my late aunt taking me to my first Sox game, being at the clincher in '93, the 2000 season, the '83 season, the Southside hitmen of '77, seeing Carlton Fisk hit a home run at Fenway Park in 1990, and Bartman. :wink:

Worst moments: The '94 strike, the '97 white flag trade, the Sox nearly moving to Florida, the 1970 Sox losing over 100 games.

phanreign
03-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Best moment: Besides our beloved becoming World Champions in 2005, in 1983 at Comiskey versus Baltimore Pudge hits a homerun which is called a ground rule double by umpires. The crowd starts chanting bullsh*t in unison and Tony LaRussa comes out of the dugout, argues the call then rips third base from the ground and flings it. That's when he became the second greatest manager in White Sox history (Ozzie's #1) IMHO.

Worst Moment: Tito Landrum - do I need to say anything else?

Diehard: Was born one. Came from the womb of a witness of 1959.

John
phanreign@aol.com
http://www.phantomreign.net

we be jake
03-12-2006, 08:55 AM
I was hooked while hangin' around with my dad in his basement workshop and listening to the call on the radio. Those magical names first captured my imagination and set the hook.... Minoso, Aparicio, Nellie, "Jungle" Jim, Torgeson, Big Klu, Score, Lollar, Early Wynn, et al.

Worst --- We're tearin' up the league, Big frank is leading in everything and the blankety-blank strike is called.

Best --- Winning the '59 pennant cuz I was a kid then and it was SOOO great to beat the Yankees. Also, meeting and hangin' out all day with one of the great defensive center-fielders of all time, Ken Berry, on the location set of the movie "Eight Men Out", in which I had a very small part, was up there with my best White Sox memories

:cool: we be jake

slavko
03-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Best: Still on Cloud Nine.

Worst: The whole moving the team scenario, the way it was done, and all the people involved. (Couldn't they have just cut a back room deal and built a ballpark in Itasca?)

Diehard moment: Hitmen of '77. I had been raised a fan of another team which I had the good sense to lose interest in after 1969.

32nd&Wallace
03-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Best: ...Over Jenk's head, Uribe has it....

Worst: I don't know why but I think the '03 season where Foulke and the Sox blew a 6 run lead in the bottom of the ninth in the metrodome. I was livid.

Diehard: Witnessing Ventura's walk off grand slam off Goose. For people that don't remember that game, there are numerous threads on it, and also it provided the memorable picture where Frank throws Robin over his shoulder and is jumping up and down.i think that was in 2001...i remember that because they had a horrible start and it looked like they had pulled things together by the time of the twins game.

best - well, yeah

worst - a toss-up between the 98 and 99 season. the season started with you knowing that they weren't going anywhere. also the tail end of both the 01 and 02 season, where there was expectation but the team just underachieved.

Wsoxmike59
03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Awesome thread, I've enjoyed reading everybody's stories.

Best Moment: Winning the 2005 A.L. Pennant and jumping around the living room hugging my daughter and screaming "The Sox won the Pennant! We won the freaking Pennant!!" I told her, it's probably not that big a deal for you.....you only had to wait 17 years for this....I've waited 46 years for this moment... for the whole enchilada!!" :D:

Worst Moment: Where do I start?? Home games in Milwaukee in '69, almost moving to Seattle in '75, Disco Demolition in '79, losing the 1983 Playoffs to Baltimore, almost moving to Fla in '88, watching old Comiskey getting demolished in 1991, Losing to the Jays in '93, the Strike in '94 and the White Flag Deal in '97.

Knew I was a Die Hard When: I ran home from school after Patrol Boy duty on the last day of the 1971 season and watching Bill Melton win the A.L. HR crown on his final AB by lining a HR to LF off Milwaukee's Jim Parsons for his 33rd HR of the year to edge out Reggie Jackson and Norm Cash. The curtain call from the fans, and Melton tossing his hat and batting gloves in to the stands was priceless!

Also seeing White Sox Park for the first time in person in all it's glory under the lights in '68 for my first game against the Senators....(which promptly got rained out by a torrential downpour and I had to wait a full year before seeing the Sox play again)

I was hooked for life after seeing the green grass of the OF and the Sox blue uni's under the lights. Bill Melton hit a HR and the scoreboard went off and scared the Bajeezus out of me! :D:

I remember getting my first Sox hat in 1970 and looking at the intricate interlocking S-O-X logo for hours and thinking it was the coolest looking logo in all of sports.

Also wishing that I could play along side Luis Aparicio and Bill Melton in the Sox INF one day.

ChiSoxPatF
03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Best: Watching Podsednik hit the game winning World Series home run and it landing 5 rows in front of me.

Worst: Sitting behind home plate for the final loss of the 2000 postseason.

When I became a diehard: I never had a choice. If I had grown up anything other than a diehard White Sox fan I would probably have been disowned.

Bobbo35
03-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Best:My best moment as a Sox fan was when I was at game 2 of the WS and Paulie hit that grand slam. Talk about a place up for grabs....Awesome.

Worst:It would definately have to be the 2000 playoffs. I was sure we were going far, obviously that didn't happen. It was a big letdown.

Knew I was a diehard when: I was always a huge fan, but when Frank Thomas was introduced in his first full year with the White Sox. That year he had 32 homers, 109 RBI's and a .318 batting average. I was hooked at the age of 11. It was also the year of New Comiskey. I remember my Dad's season tickets were section 138 row 18.

thomas35forever
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Best: World Series parade

Worst: Watching the Sox fall out of it in '03 and '04.

Diehard: When I fully started to realize the pain you had to put up with when you're a Sox fan. Of course, all I can say now is "What pain?"

BarbG
03-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Best: October 2005, the whole magical month.

Worst: Nothing comes close to the heartache that was Disco Demolition Night. Watching helplessly as my paradise got trashed, my heroes disrespected. Getting groped by stoned strangers, dodging firecrackers, and to add insult to injury the forfeit. That is the only Sox loss to this day I cried over.

Diehard: Since birth? My dad was as diehard as they come but he didn't force it on us. All I remember is thinking that anything that made Dad that happy, that excited - I wanted some of that. He made me wait until I was "big enough" at 7 to go to my first game and I've been hooked ever since.

Really interesting stories, everyone.

soxinem1
03-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Best: Too obvious.

Worst: Three way tie; 1983 playoffs, 1993 playoffs ending with the park booing the team, made me storm out and curse 'bandwagon jumpers', and the 1994 strike.

Thing(s) that made me a Sox fan: Like a baby takes to a bottle, I took to the White Sox in the mid 70's.

SOXSINCE'70
03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Best:10/26/2005

Worst: the end of the 1983,'93,'94 and 2000 seasons.

Knew I was a diehard when:I had to strain to pick up
the radio reception on WMAQ from Normal,IL,(I was at
(Illinois State at the time) to hear Julio Cruz tag from
third to score on Harold Baines' game winning,division
clinching Sac Fly in 1983.

throwsoftjax
03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Best: October 26, 2005 I was passing the cell in my friends car as we won it all!! Every day since has been awesome. Every time i hear someone say sox suck i reply... who won the world series? Yeah thought so.... normally with silence as their reply hahaha

Worst: White flag trade

I've always been a diehard. The earliest memory that i can remember from my life is being outside in my back yard helping my dad with something listening to the sox game on the radio.

robiwho
03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Best: The 2005 season -- from Buehrle's first pitch on opening day to the final out of the World Series.

Worst: The 94 strike was awful. I actually had tickets for a game the day it started. I was so angry that I didn't go to any games in 95 and 96. In 1997, I decided it was time to go back to baseball....just in time for the white flag trade. :angry: Still, I was back for opening day in 98 and haven't been away since.

Die-hard: I knew I would always be a Sox fan during the 77 season. In 1979, when I was 11, my family moved from the SW Side to the NW suburbs; most of my new classmates were fans of the north side team. To be honest, I'm not sure I had ever met one before -- and I'm really not exaggerating! They all tried to convince me to switch loyalties, but there was no way I was going to abandon my team.

Besides, my parents would have disowned me! :D:

IronFisk
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Best: "The White Sox Win the Pennant, they've Won the Pennant!!!" Everything else from that moment was just gravy.

Worst: Tito F'ing Landrum. Nuff Said :angry:

Diehard: The 1983 season. Never since had I seen Chicago more pumped up for a sports team. Yes, that includes the '85 Bears. The city was rabid for the Pale Hose, and they swept me right up!

Hosey22
03-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Best Moment: 2005- Standing in the ballpark after the walk-off by Podsednik, realizing that my greatest dreams were coming true. We must have stayed there for a half-hour after the home run, and were still going crazy when we left.
Non-2005-Attending the 1993 clincher as an 8 year old boy, and watching Bo's high fly sail over the fence.

Worst Moment: 2005-I believe it was two days after Crede's walk-off against the Indians. When we faced Santana and the Twins I was sure we'd lose. When then took a tie-game into extra innings and blew golden opportunities several times to lose, and our lead shrank again. I remember thinking that night that if we blew it, I was done. Me and my roommate went out and hit a bucket of Baseball's into the dark convincing ourselves we were releasing the bad luck. I believe we went 19-3 after that, including the playoffs.

Die-Hard: My first real Sox Memory game with Robin's Grand Slam. At 6 years old I watched it from my living room. My mom, who was nearly asleep, woke up as he swung and flipped out. I sat in dis-belief. I knew then that this game, and team, was something special.

hold2dibber
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Best: Aside from the final out of the WS, I'd say the second best was game 1 of the ALDS this year. The had never won a home playoff game in my lifetime. To make it more exciting, it was my 10 year old son's 1st post season game. And then to have the Sox DESTROY the then-champs was mind blowing. I've never heard noise, of a felt an adrenaline rush, to compare with AJ's 1st inning home run. I will never, ever forget that game or that feeling.

Worst: This isn't easy. The Dibber getting caught between 2nd and 3rd in the 83 playoffs, the Tito Landrum home run in the 83 playoffs and the 2000 sweep at the hands of the Mariners are probably at the top of the list, but the White Flag trade is up there too.

Die-Hard: My parents moved from South Side to North when I was 5, so despite growing up surrounded by Sox fans, I lived most of my formative years within walking distance of Wrigley and went to Cubs games on a semi-regular basis when I was in between 11 and 14. Even then I preferred the Sox, but it probably wasn't until '83 that the deal was officially sealed with the winning ugly team. Aside from the '05 squad, the '83 team is my favorite.

Bucky F. Dent
03-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Best - Every day since we won the Series has been tremendous, but for me it has to be the Summer of the Southside Hitmen. I was younger, and had far fewer real life worries to interfere with my beloved Sox!

Worst - Tearing down Commiskey. I became a baseball fan in that beloved place, and they tore it down. That still hurts.

Diehard - I've always been a diehard, I was sort of born into it by my father, but it was confirmed when I came back to the Sox immediately after the '94 strike.

VASoxfan1
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
best - obviously the world series. But prior to that it would have to be in the 4th grade when my mom woke me up for school and told me bo jackson hit a home run in the 6th to clinch a spot in the alcs.....

worst - where to start..... The 94 strike was devastating to me. I was positive that was the year they were gonna break it....too bad i had to wait another 12 years (but i could drink champagne then, haha). THe white flag trade I just couldn't comprehend at the time. And every sox collapse from 2001-2004 whether it was early late or in the middle it just killed me and made me wonder when football started.

when i was a diehard: I think from the start. My dad is an Indians fan (makes for some interesting dinner conversation) and i grew up in DC when the orioles were good. So i was surrounded by two very good teams growing up (mid to late 90s) yet kept riding out as a white sox fan since i despise people switching fanship to other teams. You pick a team and stick with them and i've been through this team thick and thin and i wouldn't have it any other way

soxrme
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Best: 2005 WS and clinching night in 1959.
Worst moment: Billy Pierce losing an perfect game in the 9th inning back in the 50's, broke my heart.
Die Hard - in the womb

Pasqua's Posers
03-16-2006, 03:48 AM
Before I begin a response to this thread for the 2nd time (for some reason, original post did not go through) let me say this is a great thread.:smile:

Best: Aside from October 26, 2005 there are a few games/moments that come to memory:

- Opening night 2000. Great game, great weather, and after seeing Durham's spectacular catch, I couldn't help but think that season was special.

- Sox come back to beat the Flubs 13-9 in 2002. After falling behind 8-0, I turned to my buddy Timio (4 of us were there celebrating my brother's bachelor party) and told him this game is over. I was heavily intoxicated at the time, but we stayed and watched the Sox complete a miraculous comeback. Too bad that was our World Series for that year...

- Valentin's walk-off against the Cubs 2003. I say that was the loudest and craziest I had seen Comiskey up until World Series game 1 when Jenks struck out Bagwell to end the 8th inning. Either way, it was a great win and it looked like the Sox were turning things around.

- July 2nd, 2003. Thomas hits a walk-off bomb off Guardado to complete a sweep of the Twinkies. I was in Loews' Cineplex parking lot in Orland Park waiting for my date to arrive to go see Terminator 3. I had the top down on the Jeep listening to the game and went crazy when he hit that blast. Things were looking up for the Sox; we just acquired Alomar and Everett and they had some momentum going the past few weeks from the Cubs series and now the sweep of the Twins. Too bad it all fell aprat the next night (See note below for that moment)

WORST:

Again, there are numerous (strike of 1994, playoff losses in 1983 and 2000) but these are the most painful and vivid:

- April 14, 2003. The condo I closed on 3 days earlier catches fire. Although there was minimal damage to my unit, it sure created a scare. After it was all said and done, I was more upset by the Sox blowing a ninth inning lead to the Royals and Mike Sweeney. It was the first of many times I would curse Billy Koch. It also set the tone for the season. Almost to the end, but not being able to close it out.

- July 3rd 2003. Although I was on a houseboat in Lake of the Ozarks celebrating 4th of July weekend, I called my buddy to find out what we did. He tells me Billy Koch serves up a nice fat 3-run blast to CARL CRAWFORD (and his 11 career homeruns) in the bottom of the 9th and the Sox lose. The season seemed to turn on that game.

- September 19th 2003. The Sox were still alive in the Central, but the Twinkies had the division all but won. The Sox win in fine fashion over the Royals as I was experiencing my first Patio Party at Comiskey. Again, even though the Sox won, it was all for naught and a seson with so much promise went by the wayside.

AND THE WORST OF THE WORST
- June 12th, 2003. Colon strikes out BARROIDS 3 times in the game and is left in to try and get the Golden Sombrero. Bonds smokes it to the stands in right and the Sox blow a 9th inning lead to Rich Aurillia (grand slam) nad the Giants. Afterwards in the Bullpen Bar, I was looking at the picture of McKaskill and Karkovice after the Sox clinched the West in 1993. I was overcome with despair and frustration and yelled, "All I want is for them to win it one time!!! I just want to see us win the WOrld Series once!!!! That's not asking for too much!!!" I never felt worse being a Sox fan than I did at that moment.

DIE-HARD

Summer of 1994. BEing confined to the house due to having mono left me with one thing to do other than sleep-watch Sox games. Franco, Jackson, Ventura, McDowell, and Thomas got me through that illness and I was hooked.

Here's to a great thread and the 2005 World Series Champions. Something no one can ever take away! :gulp: